Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Hadlock posted:

I need to cast a lead ballast for my 3d printed project

It's 60 lbs of lead

Well now I'm pretty curious what your project is that uses 60 lbs of lead.

Toebone posted:

I'm printing a cookie cutter. The edge is flat and I'd like to bevel it to 45 degrees to help it cut a little cleaner, anyone have a link to a guide on how to do that in Blender or 3D Builder? Let's pretend I have no idea what I'm doing.

Sadly this kind of operation (chamfering) is not easily done on an STL file.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Most of my problem with adjusting Z is I forget if negative means higher or lower. :haw:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The Eyes Have It posted:

Well now I'm pretty curious what your project is that uses 60 lbs of lead.

Probably a model sailboat keel

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hadlock posted:

I need to cast a lead ballast for my 3d printed project

In the olden days they'd just cast the lead directly into my fiberglass mould and destroy the mould to figure out what size to make the ballast

I'm kind of wondering if I can print a positive mould/plug from PLA with 1% infill, then do a plaster cast, and then pour the liquid lead right into the PLA. Presumably the PLA infill will melt/burn away and float to the top, and most of the perimeter exterior will also? It's 60 lbs of lead vs 6 ounces of PLA, I'm thinking the lead will make quick work of the PLA. I'm not super concerned about the finish quality of the lead due to surface contamination by the pla

Print the plug as an empty shell, but fill it with supports. Make the plaster mold, remove the supports, pour in lead.
Alternative is to model the plug with a few cross sections that you can easily remove.(or just pout lead over).

Hydrocal is a good alternative to regular plaster if you want to make stronger/easier-to-use molds. (And quite easy to make 2-part molds from as well)

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Have you considered wood?

GotDonuts
Apr 28, 2008

Karbohydrate Kitteh
I am having trouble getting prints to fully stick to the glass bed of my ender 3v2, I have tried leveling multiple times and it seems level (paper is dragging under all four points, plus center) used the bl level to create a new mesh (made sure that the updated g code segment is present in the cura slicer) and it doesn't seem to want to stick on the right side.

Watched a youtube vid about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMLKNB2r-M4 and now its worse.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Ditch the glass bed an buy a TH3d spring steel sheet with smooth PEI (and buy the magnetic sheet too).

The glass bed loving sucks!

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Also there may be a hot spot on the bed like mine, so avoid printing there

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

GotDonuts posted:

I am having trouble getting prints to fully stick to the glass bed of my ender 3v2
Any suggestions on what I should do?

Hairspray.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NofrikinfuN posted:

Ah, I forgot I was gonna take a pic of the back. Here you go:

I'm guessing I need to dial the nozzle down until this side is roughly as smooth as the show surface or maybe even a little more? On the calibration, is the filled square at the end supposed to print as one solid block with no gaps between the lines?

i think it's important to understand why things happen, not just that they do, so i made this

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 25, 2021

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Round 2:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Javid posted:

Hairspray.

This and or glue stick until your new PEI sheet comes.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Or just hairspray if you don't need a fancier sheet right now. Hairspray on glass is still utterly fine for learning to print PLA, despite steel sheets being the popular item ITT this summer

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I did a benchy and noticed a lot of weblike strings through the center. Is that normal/unavoidable, or is there a setting I need to fiddle with?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Depends on what you are printing and your extruder setup.
In general: faster/longer retraction + possibly lower temps/better cooling.
On any modern direct drive setup, you shouldn't have to deal with stringing...even when printing PETG.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Looks dialed in. Congrats!

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
What’s the secret to getting lychee supports to work? I love the features of the program but spent half the day today trying to get a mini printed (photon mono x, elegoo normal white) but light/medium supports and fixing all islands still resulted in total failure of anything other than supports 5x. Prusaslicer auto supports on the same exact mini with the same exact print settings worked perfectly fine but I would like to be able to cut out that part of the workflow.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

For printing (designing) objects larger than say, my thumb, what's the max overhang I can do and be structurally sound. Looking at these overhang test STL files on thingverse, 85% is achievable, but it's a really really tiny print. Seems like object temp is most important for these extreme overhangs. I scaled one of these test files up to 170% which is closer to what I intend on printing at

Seems like you can get pretty reasonable quality for structural parts up to at least 65 degrees, even 70 but then things degrade sharply after that. For strictly aesthetic parts, 55 is about the limit for today's technology?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

With PLA on an average printer with decent cooling, 55-60 degrees is the limit before you see noticeable droop, yes.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Bodanarko posted:

What’s the secret to getting lychee supports to work? I love the features of the program but spent half the day today trying to get a mini printed (photon mono x, elegoo normal white) but light/medium supports and fixing all islands still resulted in total failure of anything other than supports 5x. Prusaslicer auto supports on the same exact mini with the same exact print settings worked perfectly fine but I would like to be able to cut out that part of the workflow.

Can you post a screen? How is it failing?

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Doctor Zero posted:

Can you post a screen? How is it failing?

Just complete failure of anything beyond supports, imprint of the mini left on the FEP. Ratcheting up exposure would probably “fix” it but I am overexposing as is, and these same print settings work fine for a mini supported with Prusa auto supports.

I’ve tried manual light, manual medium, a mix of the two, adding in heavy supports to anchor, tried the “magic” button with medium and light but they all fail the same.

I’ve been consistently printing minis with chitu or prusaslicer supports for 2 years and I’m just baffled at how ineffective these supports are for me.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Something is off. Sounds like it should be working. Can you share your settings and a capture of a supported model in Lychee?

If the supports print but the minis come off you probably don’t have enough supports or your contact settings are too small. If it were exposure it wouldn’t print anything.

Oh wait. Do you have AA on?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Doctor Zero posted:

Something is off.
Especially if OP is using heavy supports as anchors for a mini. I mean that should be impossible to peel off the plate.

Please post a screenshot of your support settings in Lychee and also your slicing settings. Something is definitely off.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Could it be something super simple like the resin separating. Did you really shake the bottle before filling your vat?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Anybody else notice they have to babysit a little more with cheap filament? I had been using hatchbox but just got one of the 10-packs from gst3d. It seems like the spools aren't wound as well or something, because barely into the first roll, I've had it bind up a few times mid-print. This has happened 0 times ever with hatchbox, even when I let it unwind like a moron; prints with it are otherwise fine, so it's manageable, just weird.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
I’ll post a screenshot and settings when I get back to the computer. My first guess was resin but I printed the same mini using prusaslicer auto supports and had no issues with that same resin/machine.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Bucnasti posted:

Could it be something super simple like the resin separating. Did you really shake the bottle before filling your vat?

I think the key here is the supports printing but the model coming off. if the resin weren't good, I would expect it to fail earlier, or the layers not sticking together.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Haven't printed anything in a while but daaamn it's so satisfying to design and print something very specific (and dumb)

https://i.imgur.com/i41ERRA.mp4

Of course then I inexplicitly design a part 1cm shorter that it's supposed to be which really ruined the vibe.

Anyway. I have a project in mind that would need some serious mechanical properties. Has anyone used glass or carbon fiber nylon? Obviously I'd need to get an FDM printer, but is it a huge pain in the rear end to deal with?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Haven't used it myself but you definitely need a hardened nozzle for the carbon fiber. It's supposed to be crazy abrasive.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Anyway. I have a project in mind that would need some serious mechanical properties. Has anyone used glass or carbon fiber nylon? Obviously I'd need to get an FDM printer, but is it a huge pain in the rear end to deal with?

I have. They can be tricky. Also bear in mind that while they will be extremely impact resistant, they will deform, if under constant load. Nylon is fairly bendy and the tiny carbon filaments will only do so much.

Wanderless
Apr 30, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I print a bunch of CF Nylon / CF PC for various projects. The nylon prints beautifully and is honestly my default for projects that I want to come out perfectly on the first round. It (or any CF filament) absolutely needs a hardened nozzle. Nozzle X is my current one, and I'm looking at using a tungsten carbide nozzle on my Voron when I finish that build, mostly for the improved heat transfer. A Garolite bed is a really nice addition but not critical.

CF PC (Priline) has given me more issues, mostly with layer adhesion, but generally behaves well and is quite a bit stiffer and doesn't suffer from creep like most nylon filaments.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I think I'm going to sell my ender 3v2, it's just too fiddly and unpredictable. I've watched every video about assembly and upgrades, none of it has mattered. Every single print has to be fiddled with over and over until I get a somewhat decent result after 3 or 4 tries, it's just not fun. I'll probably just quit and get a resin printer sometime down the line.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
What specific issues are you having with the v2 print wise?

Bed adhesion is solved with a Pei coated springsteel bed.

A printed Satsana duct will help with part cooling.

Enabling Z-hop and retraction in the slicer will help with the nozzle colliding with any curled corners etc.

The ‘hot end fix’ will eliminate almost all issues related to the bowden/hotend setup.

I now have 8 Ender 3s running 24/7 and my only failures have been me not setting the micro z-height correctly at the start of a print, a power failure or filament breaking from being brittle. Oh, maybe a couple clogged nozzles, but nothing I’d say that’s specifically machine related.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Ghostnuke posted:

I think I'm going to sell my ender 3v2, it's just too fiddly and unpredictable. I've watched every video about assembly and upgrades, none of it has mattered. Every single print has to be fiddled with over and over until I get a somewhat decent result after 3 or 4 tries, it's just not fun. I'll probably just quit and get a resin printer sometime down the line.

I mean, YMMV, but the one time I got a resin printer it was a tremendous PITA because of the PPE and the fact that literally none of the sample prints on the thumb drive that came with it would print (they would all stick to the FEP film in the vat instead of the build plate, no matter how many times I double checked the leveling on the build plate per the directions in the manual and by posters in various forums).

They are mechanically simpler machines, but if you get a bad batch of resin (the apparent culprit in my case, but I said gently caress it and returned the printer before investing any more time in a workflow I didn't like anyway) or if anything goes wrong you can end up with a big ol' toxic mess to clean up. And gently caress that.

Worst case scenario with a failed FDM print is a spaghetti ball I have to clean up, or an otherwise ugly lump of plastic to throw away and just a little time cleaning the hotend up (and I can barely remember the last time I had one of these problems). But at least it isn't "put on some gloves and safety glasses and hope to god you don't splash any on your face by accident" toxic.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 27, 2021

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

My Mini+ is rapidly becoming my go-to printer after I fixed the heatbreak issue :sun:

I guess it's time to list the Mk2.5 soon...

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

mobby_6kl posted:

Haven't printed anything in a while but daaamn it's so satisfying to design and print something very specific (and dumb)

can we talk about why you're still using a creative zen mp3 player in tyool 2021?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

What sort of serious mechanical properties? Impact resistance, stiffness, toughness, lubricity, heat resistance, cold resistance? Do you want something that has higher tensile strength, so it holds its shape rigidly but eventually shatters, or something that has a more gradual response to stress, so it bends a bit under load but springs back?

Broadly, the carbon and glass filaments tend to add a little stiffness, a lot of toughness, and some resistance to warping during printing.

CF nylon is one of the toughest materials you can print -- it will take a hammer blow or being stomped on or whatever. As ImplicitAssembler says, it's not tremendously stiff, so if you're going to be putting it under a lot of load, it won't be "strong" and hold its shape. PET is somewhat stiffer, and carbon-filled PET is about as stiff as unfilled PLA, but significantly tougher and more heat-resistant. PLA is the stiffest common filament, and I'd imagine that carbon-filled PLA is even better, but I've never tried it.

Overall I like CF-PET (I specifically use Colorfabb XT-CF20) the best, I think. It has the best balance of mechanical properties and a beautiful matte finish.

Anyway, no it is not a big pain in the rear end to print these filaments. CF-PET is as easy as regular PET, and CF-nylon is a little easier than other nylons, which is to say somewhat finicky and requires a filament dryer but can be done on a regular Prusa as long as you install a hardened nozzle.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 27, 2021

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Hamburlgar posted:

What specific issues are you having with the v2 print wise?

Bed adhesion is solved with a Pei coated springsteel bed.

A printed Satsana duct will help with part cooling.

Enabling Z-hop and retraction in the slicer will help with the nozzle colliding with any curled corners etc.

The ‘hot end fix’ will eliminate almost all issues related to the bowden/hotend setup.

I now have 8 Ender 3s running 24/7 and my only failures have been me not setting the micro z-height correctly at the start of a print, a power failure or filament breaking from being brittle. Oh, maybe a couple clogged nozzles, but nothing I’d say that’s specifically machine related.

you name it, it's happened. seems like every time I try a new model or a new roll of filament I have to start all over on settings.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
lmao turns out all those teeny-tiny high-detail casting molds ive been making had loving anti-aliasing ticked off in chitu :negative:

it definitely hasn’t always been this way for my molds, i must have copied a file for the settings at some point and forgot to check if the Fine Detail Obliterator was enabled or not. but lmao jesus christ, i was on the verge of re-calibrating from the ground up for this resin because of a string of unsatisfying prints with badly filled-in fine channels. reprinting my last mold with just the antialiasing disabled and preparing to scream

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Hey I was meaning to ask but have you (or anyone else here) looked into chemical resistant resins? Got a buddy who was asking about printing components for computer cooling and frankly you seem like the maniac who'd know exactly what resin to pick up