Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Wheeee posted:

Even if it were true, and it's not, it would be irrelevant. Loud pipes on vehicles are horrendous noise pollution with distinctly harmful effects on people within a large radius. My gf has hearing damage from concerts when she was younger and a piece of poo poo on his babydick Harley riding by two blocks away can set off her tinnitus.

They are vermin and should be removed from the road entirely.

Thats not how Tinnitus works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Laserface posted:

Thats not how Tinnitus works.

Yes it is. Loud noises can cause tinnitus spikes.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If there's one thing I eagerly await about the takeover of EVs and eventual disappearance if not outright ban of ICEs is the silence.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Guinness posted:

If there's one thing I eagerly await about the takeover of EVs and eventual disappearance if not outright ban of ICEs is the silence.

The culture war this would (will?) set off is horrifying to contemplate.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I think there’s a healthy medium between straight piped Harley’s and the literal silence of a Nissan Leaf??? If I see a GT350 driving around, I’m usually hoping the driver will make some glorious noises

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
gonna wire up a 2000W subwoofer to make noises

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kunabomber posted:

gonna wire up a 2000W subwoofer to make noises

https://www.svsound.com/products/pb16-ultra

Buy two.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

EVs won’t solve noise pollution problems because the problem isn’t ICE engines it’s that many Americans are entitled, idiot babies and there are absolutely no consequences, either social or legal, for being an obnoxious rear end in a top hat. They’ll just wire up some speakers to the outside of their lifted trucks and chromed out baggers like Fury Road and play Toby Keith songs at 120 decibels.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MeruFM posted:

Is it getting worse or were american cities always this loud?

I live close to a freeway on-ramp which means I get the best of straightpipe douchenozzles of all sorts. The bikers are by far the worse because they also have overpowered sound systems playing at max. It’s reverberates louder in my living room than I would feel comfortable setting my own home theater. My only solace is knowing they will be deaf in a few years, but that type probably doesn't need to hear anyone else anyways.

It makes me want to go back to Tokyo where somehow the biggest super-city in the world is still quieter than SF which I thought was a hippy town???

I saw this video recently where a guy compares loudness of cities and what goes on in them, it's pretty fascinating. He mentions motorbikes in there too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTV-wwszGw8

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Sep 27, 2021

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

dk2m posted:

I think there’s a healthy medium between straight piped Harley’s and the literal silence of a Nissan Leaf??? If I see a GT350 driving around, I’m usually hoping the driver will make some glorious noises

The couple with the baby who finally fell asleep and the shift worker trying to get some sleep living in the condos down the block are certainly going to love that glorious noise.

An extremely loud street vehicle doesn’t stop being a nuisance just because you think it’s cool, it’s all idiot manchild bullshit

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The technology exists to have variable exhaust and any modern sports car can both sound good in open roads and be quiet in neighborhoods.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
Lol I don’t think it’s cool to startle babies!! I would hope anyone here that has a gt350 is responsible around babies and/or shift workers or it’s a Leaf for you

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

The world's gone up it's own rear end in a top hat and come out the other side.
There's a video floating around of some good ole boys coal rolling an anti vaxx rally.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I saw this video recently where a guy compares loudness of cities and what goes on in them, it's pretty fascinating. He mentions motorbikes in there too.

https://youtu.be/CTV-wwszGw8

That video has popped up on my recs but I haven’t watched until now. It is difficult to reconcile my love of cars with the noise they make. I can only say most of my long trips these days are out the city to some wilderness. Otherwise, I just use my ebike.

Also sad to know e-cars are not going to solve this problem and I know the “loud car go brrr” argument will absolutely trump(tm) all the social good, better health, etc in america. The noise has me considering moving.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

During peak NZ covid lockdown it was practically illegal to drive anywhere unless it was to the supermarket to buy food which meant the roads were nearly empty. I live in a central suburb of the largest city in the country and although the house we're in is one house back from the street, which is itself a fairly quiet street, the lack of car noise was clearly noticeable during lockdown. It's something you'd never pay any attention to normally, like there's no way you'd come here and comment on the traffic noise, but when it wasn't there it was suddenly obvious, birds seemed way louder.

The thing is by far the majority of what I hear around here isn't loud exhausts, it's tire and aerodynamic noise, which EV's still produce in pretty much the same levels. So even a fully EV car future would still give you that un-noticeable-until-it's-gone background rumble noise.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dk2m posted:

Absolutely not, some sports car making a racket is just as annoying as a Harley.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I think I've mentioned it here before, but my next door neighbor has five vehicles (3 trucks and 2 cars) and they are all V8's and they all have loud exhaust systems on them. He's an AI dude for sure and his cars are really cool (69 mustang with a built 351, stepside pickup with a 800 hp LS) and not so cool (bro truck) but it's just really loving tiring having to hear it every time he leaves and returns to his drat house.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

smooth jazz posted:

The world's gone up it's own rear end in a top hat and come out the other side.
There's a video floating around of some good ole boys coal rolling an anti vaxx rally.

We are about to find out what drivers get charged with when they run over the people they were trying to roll coal on: https://www.fox26houston.com/news/pickup-truck-runs-over-6-cyclists-in-waller-county-4-people-hospitalized

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Trucks, busses and bikes/scooters are way louder than (normal) cars. If you've ever been to south-east Asia, the racket from mopeds and scooters is deafening. I can also hear garbage trucks or busses from several blocks away, while cars are basically silent driving down the street by my windows.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I think I've mentioned it here before, but my next door neighbor has five vehicles (3 trucks and 2 cars) and they are all V8's and they all have loud exhaust systems on them. He's an AI dude for sure and his cars are really cool (69 mustang with a built 351, stepside pickup with a 800 hp LS) and not so cool (bro truck) but it's just really loving tiring having to hear it every time he leaves and returns to his drat house.

A guy down the street has this Grand Cherokee that sounds like a loving NASCAR and a Raptor. Both have remote start. Several times a day we get to hear them fire up and glugluglug at the curb for 20-30min before they roar off to soccer practice or whatever. It’s exhausting as poo poo. :dadjoke:

The R8 around the corner, however, I could listen to all day.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

We are about to find out what drivers get charged with when they run over the people they were trying to roll coal on: https://www.fox26houston.com/news/pickup-truck-runs-over-6-cyclists-in-waller-county-4-people-hospitalized

The Article posted:

As of Saturday evening, the driver of the pickup truck had not been arrested.

???????

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
lovely as he is, he's underage.

Please don't look into how many 16 year old black kids are put in through the system and tried as an adult

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

KillHour posted:

The technology exists to have variable exhaust and any modern sports car can both sound good in open roads and be quiet in neighborhoods.

By far my favorite feature on my Mustang. I find myself leaving it in quiet mode more and more often lately. But it's nice to open the valves fully when I'm out in cow country.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
deleted, not my domain

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 27, 2021

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Kunabomber posted:

lovely as he is, he's underage.

Please don't look into how many 16 year old black kids are put in through the system and tried as an adult

He's underage, white, and his daddy has money obviously otherwise he wouldn't be driving a very expensive truck.

The cops are doing what they are paid to do, protecting rich white people.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

You seem surprised, kid's white, driving a posh truck and the offence was against cyclists which as we all know aren't real human beings. (or at least it seems both in the US and UK judging by how many drivers get away with maiming and killing them.)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
in the us you can basically hit a pedestrian or cyclist with no consequences, no matter why it happened

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

BraveUlysses posted:

in the us you can basically hit a pedestrian or cyclist with no consequences, no matter why it happened

South Dakota's AG Jason Ravnsborg enters the chat

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Blackhawk posted:

The thing is by far the majority of what I hear around here isn't loud exhausts, it's tire and aerodynamic noise, which EV's still produce in pretty much the same levels. So even a fully EV car future would still give you that un-noticeable-until-it's-gone background rumble noise.

It might not be total but more EVs does make a difference to noise levels at low speeds.

Lots of old Leafs in my street (first home buyer area so people buy for the low running costs) and you can barely tell when one goes past from inside the house even though there is a speed bump right there (which causes petrol and especially diesels to make a lot of noise).

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

The other day on the highway there was some VW with a tune that made it backfire non stop. Like 60+ times a minute. It was the most obnoxious thing I've ever heard and I hope that dude is in jail for it. It was louder than any harley I've ever heard.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

The other day on the highway there was some VW with a tune that made it backfire non stop. Like 60+ times a minute. It was the most obnoxious thing I've ever heard and I hope that dude is in jail for it. It was louder than any harley I've ever heard.
The police showed up at this shop due to reports of automatic gunfire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_m4-ed0tmU&t=185s

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

It sounded like that the entire time it was driving.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Reminds me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaK95OdorXE

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Just start towing and crushing these vehicles on the first offence, the owners are clearly not responsible enough to be allowed to have them.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I really expected the new Z06 to be Carbon Fiber everywhere with a huge wing.
Maybe that is still coming as packages, but kinda weird they were with what looks like almost a more toned down image to show everyone.
https://jalopnik.com/2023-corvette-z06-this-is-it-1847752670

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Franco Caution posted:

I really expected the new Z06 to be Carbon Fiber everywhere with a huge wing.
Maybe that is still coming as packages, but kinda weird they were with what looks like almost a more toned down image to show everyone.
https://jalopnik.com/2023-corvette-z06-this-is-it-1847752670

That simple addition of the fin or whatever going down the side of the intake makes all the difference in the world to me. Looks so much better.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Wheeee posted:

Just start towing and crushing these vehicles on the first offence, the owners are clearly not responsible enough to be allowed to have them.

Imagine posting this in AI.

Loud cars rule nerds.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Laserface posted:

Loud cars rule nerds.

nah, they suck

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I live in a weird spot. In the suburbs but next to a busy but uncontrolled intersection with a convenience store. Immediately across the road is a large block of light industrial units. So 100m away or so is a workshop that does dyno runs. Right by the store is a raised pedestrian crossing, which causes people to slow down then accelerate, especially at night and if you're a rowdy gently caress. Probably about 7000 cars a day, plus some trucks servicing the industrial area.

The dyno isn't the problem, nor are the trucks. It's not the factory sports cars, and it's not even the modified cars in and out of the workshops. Without fail, the loving straight piped Harleys that rip through at juuuuuuuuust the right rpm to make maximum noise because they're a bunch of loving anti-social complete fuckwits. They're the ones shaking the loving house. Before this, I lived right in the city for 11 years, on a 6 lane road next to a fire station and ambulance station, right by a night-life precinct. Again, none of that stuff was the problem. Slept through it. Not the loving bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Laserface posted:

Loud cars rule nerds.

:hai:

My neighbor has a Jag F Type R and when I hear him take it out, I open my windows so I can hear it better

Edit: I completely agree about bikers, it is absolutely insane that boomers get away with riding them around and even the kid with an eBay catback on a ratty WRX won’t usually be a complete dickhead around a lot of pedestrians.

Sitting outside at a cafe is going deaf to BOOOOORN IN THE USAAAAA while 3 old guys do 5 mph crawling through the city

dk2m fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 28, 2021