Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I do think it's funny, these emails they send talking about how this week is JAM PACKED WITH CONTENT

Like, it's a batrep, 15 minutes of a guy talking about Ghazghkull Thraka, and a video about glazing I think?

JAM PACKED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How many animated features did they have ready to go for the streaming platform launch? Has The Exodite aired yet?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
11 fiction animation shows were announced. They've released 5 episodes of one and 3 episodes of another I think

I just want Iron Within :(

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

I just want Iron Within :(

Guess you'll have to go Iron Without

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

If there was ever a service where the obvious move is 'Subscribe for a month every 6 months or so', this is it.

I for one look forward to catching up with all these shows over Xmas.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

The more I think about Rotigus' plan in Godblight, the more I don't like it.

It's a good plan, a really good plan, but it's really out of keeping for Nurgle, it feels more like Tzeentch plan.

Nurgle might be about rot and the like but what he isn't is subtle, he is in your face like Khorne.

It's Tzeentch and Slaneesh that do the subtle corruption stuff.

Can a demon change sides? As that would fit, that Rotigus is proving to his new boss he is worthy of going from a blob to a bird.

This is the nerdist poo poo I have ever written.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Any god can be subtle if they have to be. Even Khorne can be subtle, if it gets him a massacre at the end.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
Khorne you may have 1 skull now, or, if you are a good and patient boy, you may have 2 skulls after your nap.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Lawdog69 posted:

Khorne you may have 1 skull now, or, if you are a good and patient boy, you may have 2 skulls after your nap.

Kills you to get extra skull and then takes nap with four skulls.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Hnnnnnngggg

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

D-Pad posted:

Hnnnnnngggg

Someone tell GW that they should be able to afford a professional typeface for their cover. It hurts my eyes to see those title boxes that look like they were added with a pirated copy of Photoshop.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

What are you talking about?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah it looks fine?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I am a simpleton so it seems clean

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I'm about 70 pages in and I can already tell this is going to be one of, if not the, best books Wraight has written, and probably better than Saturnine. Already been some absolutely amazing chaos POVs. Some very interesting looks at how the chaos line Marines are handling and processing their new damnation.

He's also doing an incredible job of really getting across just how bad things are mentally and emotionally for the loyalists, even Dorn. One of my favorite things about SoT series is the sheer scale of everything and his prose is excellent at conveying a sense of awe.

I wish he was writing all of the books besides Abnett and ADB. loving magical.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Is Warhawk out everywhere but US or is Amazon not let in on their pre-order stuff? Cuz I preordered there like 78 months ago and it says release date for Warhawk HC is Oct 12th.

Edit: If this is better than Wright's Watchers of the Throne, it'll be the best BL book ever written.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 28, 2021

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Amazon is October 2 for Kindle copies. A fact I paid a great deal of attention to.

That should be book 6 of 6 for the Siege. We're getting down to a book or two where Horus and the Emperor Do Stuff and then it's the Scouring.

loving hell, they're finishing it !

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

mllaneza posted:

Amazon is October 2 for Kindle copies. A fact I paid a great deal of attention to.

That should be book 6 of 6 for the Siege. We're getting down to a book or two where Horus and the Emperor Do Stuff and then it's the Scouring.

loving hell, they're finishing it !

Last two are 100% by ADB and Abnett too.

:bisonyes:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

a lovely king posted:

Last two are 100% by ADB and Abnett too.

:bisonyes:

The last book better start with "I was there, the day Horus killed the Emperor"

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I hope it's exactly like that bit in Heroes season 1 where they build all the way up to a fight between Peter and Silas and then a character closes the door they're watching them through and you just see different coloured flashes of light shining around the frame for a few minutes.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

it HAS to, there's no way they don't do this especially if abnett writes the final book.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

What are you talking about?

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Yeah it looks fine?

YMMV, but to me it looks super amateurish to have a fancy full-art science fiction cover and then have the book title and author in an ordinary Garamond font, small, in lower case, like they just typed it into a text box in photoshop and called it a day. At least use a proper display typeface!

It can look alright on a minimalist, muted cover like those of classic Penguin books (but even those use display typefaces!). On a full-page splash art it looks slapdash, like they could only afford to commission art but not to have a cover designer.

It's only the Horus Heresy books that do this, apparently (to stay with Chris Wraight, look at the covers for Bloodlines or Jaghatai Khan for comparison). I assume it's an intentional choice to keep a consistent branding all the way from Horus Rising, but it's a consistently crappy one. At least they got rid of the black box.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

:shrug: Put me on team 'It looks fine'.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Guess you'll have to go Iron Without

This needed more love

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Just finished The Imprecations of Daemons audiobook (from the last humble bundle) and its mostly rapey demon and people yelling +some family drama. Honestly, I would prefer fewer demons and less yelling and more family drama

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I had this conversation on Reddit about the extent of Dune's influence on WH40K. While WH40K does crib things from Dune, I don't think it was the primary influence on WH40K, and I got downvoted to the Realm of Chaos for that. So I want to get your opinions.

I think the influence of Dune on WH40K is superficial. WH40K has navigators, but they don't tie in WH40K's themes the way Spacing Guild navigators do in Dune. In Dune, navigators are necessary for space travel, and navigators need the spice, and the spice is only found on Arrakis, which is why so much conflict happens around that one planet. In WH40K, navigators are just... there. They're not even vital to Warp travel, they just make Warp travel more efficient.

The same is true for AI In Dune, there was a war against intelligent machines, which led to a general ban on AI. This led humans to invent Mentats and Guild navigators. Humans in Dune alter themselves to superhuman states because they don't want to be replaced by machines. In WH40K, the ban on AI is just... there.

WH40K and Dune deal with different themes. WH40K is about a stagnant and senile human race fighting to postpone its own extinction, the Imperium lacks the strength and wisdom to fend off its myriad enemies. Dune is about the danger of superhumans, who create as many problems as they solve.

In Dune, all the villains are human. There are no monsters. In WH40K, there are lots of monsters. Orks and anyone of Chaos are ridiculous characters. There have been attempts in the Horus Heresy novels to humanize Chaos Space Marines, but the results of this have been mixed because Chaos was from the beginning a ridiculous concept, which makes it hard to turn Chaos followers into serious characters.

In WH40K, religion is taken seriously. Faith in WH40K is treated as a perverse thing, but it's still treated seriously. If you choose the right faith, it can work miracles for you; if you choose the wrong faith, it will corrupt your mind and body. In Dune, religion is treated with a sort of dismissive contempt, nothing more than a delusion by which the powerful manipulate the masses, like how the Bene Gesserit planted a messiah myth in Fremen culture in case they one day needed to manipulate the Fremen. Corruption isn't a thing in Dune. It's more Michael Moorcock than Frank Herbert.

In Dune, the God-Emperor Leto II is an actual character. He actually runs his empire, and guides the events of the novels he appears in. Whereas the God-Emperor of Mankind is nothing more than a name that humans invoke whenever they want to wish a friend good luck or an enemy suffering.

In Dune, the drama is about political intrigue among aristocratic houses. In WH40K, it's about warriors confronting spiritual corruption.

What do you guys think?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Kurzon posted:

I had this conversation on Reddit about the extent of Dune's influence on WH40K. While WH40K does crib things from Dune, I don't think it was the primary influence on WH40K, and I got downvoted to the Realm of Chaos for that. So I want to get your opinions.

I think the influence of Dune on WH40K is superficial. WH40K has navigators, but they don't tie in WH40K's themes the way Spacing Guild navigators do in Dune. In Dune, navigators are necessary for space travel, and navigators need the spice, and the spice is only found on Arrakis, which is why so much conflict happens around that one planet. In WH40K, navigators are just... there. They're not even vital to Warp travel, they just make Warp travel more efficient.

The same is true for AI In Dune, there was a war against intelligent machines, which led to a general ban on AI. This led humans to invent Mentats and Guild navigators. Humans in Dune alter themselves to superhuman states because they don't want to be replaced by machines. In WH40K, the ban on AI is just... there.

WH40K and Dune deal with different themes. WH40K is about a stagnant and senile human race fighting to postpone its own extinction, the Imperium lacks the strength and wisdom to fend off its myriad enemies. Dune is about the danger of superhumans, who create as many problems as they solve.

In Dune, all the villains are human. There are no monsters. In WH40K, there are lots of monsters. Orks and anyone of Chaos are ridiculous characters. There have been attempts in the Horus Heresy novels to humanize Chaos Space Marines, but the results of this have been mixed because Chaos was from the beginning a ridiculous concept, which makes it hard to turn Chaos followers into serious characters.

In WH40K, religion is taken seriously. Faith in WH40K is treated as a perverse thing, but it's still treated seriously. If you choose the right faith, it can work miracles for you; if you choose the wrong faith, it will corrupt your mind and body. In Dune, religion is treated with a sort of dismissive contempt, nothing more than a delusion by which the powerful manipulate the masses, like how the Bene Gesserit planted a messiah myth in Fremen culture in case they one day needed to manipulate the Fremen. Corruption isn't a thing in Dune. It's more Michael Moorcock than Frank Herbert.

In Dune, the God-Emperor Leto II is an actual character. He actually runs his empire, and guides the events of the novels he appears in. Whereas the God-Emperor of Mankind is nothing more than a name that humans invoke whenever they want to wish a friend good luck or an enemy suffering.

In Dune, the drama is about political intrigue among aristocratic houses. In WH40K, it's about warriors confronting spiritual corruption.

What do you guys think?

I totally agree with you, for what it's worth. I'm not really sure there's a particular literary influence on WH40k since there are so many authors and books involved in the storytelling. Dune is only superficially similar - no one would accuse WH40k of being Lawrence of Arabia in space. Certainly WH40k cribbed ideas from it, but it has drawn from many, many sources over the years. Warhammer Fantasy was clearly based on LOTR, and WH40k is generally a transposition of Warhammer Fantasy into sci-fi, so that would probably be the biggest progenitor, but even then I'd really hesitate to say that WH40k is particularly Tolkeinesque. Many comparisons have been made between WH40k and 2000 AD / Judge Dredd, and I'd say that it probably had the most influence in terms of the overall aesthetic for WH40k. A lot of the stories that are in those comics would translate really well into the WH40k universe.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 28, 2021

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I'd say you are comparing contemporary 40k with Dune accurately, but when you are talking about influences you might want to compare early 40k / rogue trader era stuff instead.

Your point also seems to be conflating primary influence with only influence, just because it's different in a lot of ways doesn't mean it's not the source with the most clearly stolen story elements.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Kurzon posted:

What do you guys think?

Warhammer 40k is a pastiche of every 70's and 80's sci-fi/fantasy setting that was popular at the time. Dune was one of them, so was Star Wars, Star Trek, Judge Dread, Foundation, Lord of the Rings, Starship Troopers, cyberpunk and a host of other things.

I wouldn't say that 40k was influenced by Dune, I would say it just straight up stole stuff from Dune.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
40k cribbed from Dune just like it cribbed from a dozen other scifi classics.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Kurzon posted:

In Dune, there was a war against intelligent machines, which led to a general ban on AI. This led humans to invent Mentats and Guild navigators. Humans in Dune alter themselves to superhuman states because they don't want to be replaced by machines. In WH40K, the ban on AI is just... there
The ban on AI in 40K is for a similar reason ("The men of iron"), it just happened so far in the past that it's a footnote in most of the current materials, but it comes up every now and then

Bucnasti posted:

Warhammer 40k is a pastiche of every 70's and 80's sci-fi/fantasy setting that was popular at the time. Dune was one of them, so was Star Wars, Star Trek, Judge Dread, Foundation, Lord of the Rings, Starship Troopers, cyberpunk and a host of other things.

I wouldn't say that 40k was influenced by Dune, I would say it just straight up stole stuff from Dune.
:hmmyes:
One of the big influences on original Warhammer/40K was Michael Moorcock, who's books often deal with a conflict between the cosmic ideas of Law and Chaos, both of which are depicted in various books as good/bad or at least positive/negative forces. He is also the source of the "eight-pointed star of chaos", and a lot of the Dark Elf lore is influenced at least in part by the Elric books.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Dune's influence was huge in the Rogue Trader era and the Realms of Chaos books, however, as some has already said, 40k has evolved into its own thing. 40k, as was WH Fantasy, was an amalgam of many influences.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

The ban on AI in 40K is for a similar reason ("The men of iron"), it just happened so far in the past that it's a footnote in most of the current materials, but it comes up every now and then

One of the big influences on original Warhammer/40K was Michael Moorcock, who's books often deal with a conflict between the cosmic ideas of Law and Chaos, both of which are depicted in various books as good/bad or at least positive/negative forces. He is also the source of the "eight-pointed star of chaos", and a lot of the Dark Elf lore is influenced at least in part by the Elric books.

For sure.
It would be a daunting if not impossible task to identify all the sources that influenced 40K. Fundamentally Warhammer is an excuse for grown men to push plastic (then metal) army men around on a table, it was never intended to be a literary masterpiece, and there's nothing wrong with that. Enjoy it for what it is.

Everything is a remix, all content is created from building blocks laid down by previous creators.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I have two books in front of me that I must read and I'm deadlocked.

The first is Double Eagle by Dan Abnett.

The second is The Infinite and The Divine by Robert Rath.

Which do I read first and why isn't it Double Eagle?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Fellblade posted:

I'd say you are comparing contemporary 40k with Dune accurately, but when you are talking about influences you might want to compare early 40k / rogue trader era stuff instead.

Your point also seems to be conflating primary influence with only influence, just because it's different in a lot of ways doesn't mean it's not the source with the most clearly stolen story elements.
That's a good point. In fact, the AdMech's ban on AI didn't appear in WH40K until 3rd edition. It wasn't Rick Priestley's idea, that was Andy Chambers. But the navigators were there from the beginning.

Bucnasti posted:

For sure.
It would be a daunting if not impossible task to identify all the sources that influenced 40K. Fundamentally Warhammer is an excuse for grown men to push plastic (then metal) army men around on a table, it was never intended to be a literary masterpiece, and there's nothing wrong with that. Enjoy it for what it is.

Everything is a remix, all content is created from building blocks laid down by previous creators.

https://old.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/9z426h/qa_with_rick_priestley_part_1_priestleys_career/

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Once you realise that Melnibonéans are Dark Elves and High Elves at the same time it all just clicks into place. GW just directly ripped the world from the dude they were making licenced miniatures for at the time. The map is even broadly the same with where it sticks which pastiche of a real society, with Melniboné being Ulthuan (right down to the sleeping dragons) and chaos coming from the wastes up north etc.

ETA: Also everyone should read Halo Jones. It might as well be about a girl from Necromunda who joins a Rogue Trader's crew.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

I have two books in front of me that I must read and I'm deadlocked.

The first is Double Eagle by Dan Abnett.

The second is The Infinite and The Divine by Robert Rath.

Which do I read first and why isn't it Double Eagle?

The final battle has Trazyn play a RTS match against the big bad. Also robot catfishes, exploding dinosaurs, and Trazyn lands the sickest xeno burn on the Imperium I've ever read.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

NihilCredo posted:

The final battle has Trazyn play a RTS match against the big bad. Also robot catfishes, exploding dinosaurs, and Trazyn lands the sickest xeno burn on the Imperium I've ever read.

What's the burn on the Imperium?

Also that whole book rules, I'm going to relisten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

It's a footnote because it's irrelevant to the themes of WH40K. The War in Heaven between the Necrontyr and the Old Ones happened even farther in the past, but that keeps getting referenced again and again because that event does tie in to the themes. The War in Heaven is when Chaos was born.