Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

sponges posted:

Neither are ideal. I don’t like looking at the bottom of screen constantly as you’re obviously meant to look at the people speaking.

You're underestimating your brain, it can easily do both with even a little training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

MiddleOne posted:

You're underestimating your brain, it can easily do both with even a little training.

Yeah. To me it's reading subtitles and watching the screen is essentially seamless.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yeah. To me it's reading subtitles and watching the screen is essentially seamless.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

I read one word a minute

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's not ideal for people who have reading disabilities or who just don't read very fast, yeah.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

sponges posted:

I read one word a minute

Now I need to know what the story is behind that very unfortunate profile pic

But yeah, obviously if you have any kind of reading disability subtitles fall into that basket.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Avoiding subtitles due to disabilities is perfectly fine and understandable. The issue is that so many people don't bother with subtitles because "lol reading" so they watch dubs where the acting quality and translation don't fit and aren't up to par.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So if I enjoyed Squid Game, Train to Busan, and #Alive, what other Korean show should I watch on Netflix?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

punk rebel ecks posted:

So if I enjoyed Squid Game, Train to Busan, and #Alive, what other Korean show should I watch on Netflix?

Kingdom is a fun medieval zombie series, nothing too deep

Snowpiercer if you haven’t already, that’s another Bomg Joonho thinly-veiled class warfare movie, this one being dystopian future sci-fi

Holy poo poo there’s a lot of Korean shows on Netflix and I haven’t heard of 99% of them

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Oct 2, 2021

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Kingdom really rocked

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Oh some more cultural context about Squid Game

Giheon’s mom says that she had to cancel her insurance and can’t afford surgery

Korea’s national health care is actually pretty good. Everyone who is employed pays a base fee of $100 a month (more if you’re rich, less if you’re poor). It covers most things, but there is a copay, and if you have a major surgery it can be thousands of dollars. Which is a whole heck of a lot better than in the US where major surgeries might mean selling your house.

You can’t cancel your insurance in Korea. It’s always on all the time for everyone. What the mom cancelled was supplemental insurance.

The fact that she couldn’t afford surgery means that she was so poor that she couldn’t afford thousands of dollars.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Oh some more cultural context about Squid Game

Giheon’s mom says that she had to cancel her insurance and can’t afford surgery

Korea’s national health care is actually pretty good. Everyone who is employed pays a base fee of $100 a month (more if you’re rich, less if you’re poor). It covers most things, but there is a copay, and if you have a major surgery it can be thousands of dollars. Which is a whole heck of a lot better than in the US where major surgeries might mean selling your house.

You can’t cancel your insurance in Korea. It’s always on all the time for everyone. What the mom cancelled was supplemental insurance.

The fact that she couldn’t afford surgery means that she was so poor that she couldn’t afford thousands of dollars.

gently caress do I hate Gi-hun more and more.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Random Squid Game trivia

Everyone’s death is foreshadowed in their brief return to the outside world. The gangster jumps off a bridge. Sangwoo contemplates suicide in a tub. The old man has a conversation with Giheon. Ali steals a bag of money and runs away. The delinquent girl threatens to stab someone in the neck.

Technically there was a way for both partners to win at marbles. The rule said they have to acquire their partner’s 10 marbles. It did not say they have to possess 20 marbles. The wording of the rule seems deliberate. Nobody was capable of conceiving the cooperative solution. Kill or be killed is just assumed to be the only option.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Everyone already knows Parasite rules, but if you’re into something a bit slower and more atmospheric/thoughtful, Burning is probably one of the best movies I’ve seen

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I haven't seen the show so I don't have a squid in this race, but the word on the street is that Squid Game has a relatively lackluster translation. E.g.:

https://twitter.com/ymmayer/status/1443615642385592324

But it's always hard to know with these things unless you speak the language since you can usually find someone to complain about any translation if you look hard enough.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Are fan made subs a thing?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Google Butt posted:

They are. Probably not for a popular Netflix show that just got dropped though.

They also kinda suck compared to the professional product. Translation is often not as straightforward as some might wish. I would go as far as to say that translation is in itself a form of adaptation.

EDIT: Like I feel the examples the twitter user give just reinforce my point, she is haggling over words being different but is the meaning actually different to a western english reader. I would say not.
https://twitter.com/ymmayer/status/1443671264091152396?s=20

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 1, 2021

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Google Butt posted:

Absolutely. Huge, especially when fans think the official translation wasn't very accurate.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
But maybe and I mean maybe, the wrongly translated English subtitle version made the show better since everyone loves it so much now. Anything is possible and since I don’t speak Korean I’m going with I saw the superior version.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

For those who weren't teenagers a decade ago, let me introduce you to the peak of fan translation:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Translator's Note: pinku (that's Japanese for pink)

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
So we shouldnt watch it, according to a twitter guy. That's kind of them to warn us.

I'm glad I didn't waste my time.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Collateral posted:

So we shouldnt watch it, according to a twitter guy. That's kind of them to warn us.

I'm glad I didn't waste my time.

Mods???

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Random Squid Game trivia

Everyone’s death is foreshadowed in their brief return to the outside world. The gangster jumps off a bridge. Sangwoo contemplates suicide in a tub. The old man has a conversation with Giheon. Ali steals a bag of money and runs away. The delinquent girl threatens to stab someone in the neck.

Technically there was a way for both partners to win at marbles. The rule said they have to acquire their partner’s 10 marbles. It did not say they have to possess 20 marbles. The wording of the rule seems deliberate. Nobody was capable of conceiving the cooperative solution. Kill or be killed is just assumed to be the only option.

Jesus gently caress, that loop hole seems so obvious now.

They should have had one random character figure that loophole out while everyone else just :negative:.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I haven't seen the show so I don't have a squid in this race, but the word on the street is that Squid Game has a relatively lackluster translation. E.g.:

But it's always hard to know with these things unless you speak the language since you can usually find someone to complain about any translation if you look hard enough.

I can understand that. Squid Game is the Final Fantasy VII of Korean media, so it would make sense if it had a poor translation.

Google Butt posted:

They are but typically when a release is delayed.

A good example is "My Little Witch Academia" which had a fansub for the second half due to the delay. The fansub was also widely believed to have the superior translation.

It's completely understood why fansubs got a bad wrap (e.g. "nakama") but they can at times result in a more accurate and punchy translation.

MiddleOne posted:

They are. Probably not for a popular Netflix show that just got dropped though.

They also kinda suck compared to the professional product. Translation is often not as straightforward as some might wish. I would go as far as to say that translation is in itself a form of adaptation.

EDIT: Like I feel the examples the twitter user give just reinforce my point, she is haggling over words being different but is the meaning actually different to a western english reader. I would say not.
https://twitter.com/ymmayer/status/1443671264091152396?s=20

Steve Yun already said all these things, except "Go Away!", which does seem arbitrary. As while she may have said "What are you looking at?", the tone doesn't seem to be as confrontational.

MiddleOne posted:

For those who weren't teenagers a decade ago, let me introduce you to the peak of fan translation:

The thing was that this is all we had. Shows either took forever to get released, were heavily edited, or didn't get released at all.

It's insane how different it is being an anime fan in the 20s compared to the 00s.

Netflix alone would cause fans to scream. Crunchyroll would give them a heartattack.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Funniest thing is the "people die when they are killed" kinda makes sense as a translation, just not in the anime (which is in itself a adaptation).

Linking the obligatory translation content before we leave this topic:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Google Butt posted:

I don't know know about the current state, but fansubs for Korean tv shows used to be borderline gibberish.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I made this post on Reddit about Gi-Hun and how people are too harsh on him due to what he went through in his past, and it got downvoted into oblivion:

quote:

The issue is due to time and well he is a fully grown man. Yes he has gone through traumatic things, but at the end of the day he is an adult with responsibilities. It's understandable if he fell by the way side or even continues to limp today, but his actions are literally killing (or more accurately have killed) his mother.

There is a line between those who deserve mostly sympathy and scorn, and while that line is thin and needs a lot of context, I feel that Gi-Hun has crossed it.

MiddleOne posted:

Funniest thing is the "people die when they are killed" kinda makes sense as a translation, just not in the anime (which is in itself a adaptation).

Linking the obligatory translation content before we leave this topic:

I find it amusing when lawyers do the "Lawyer Reacts to X" thing on Youtube and they get to Ace Attorney. They can't decide what is incorrect due to Japanese law and what is incorrect due to anime.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I dunno about some of the complaints. Like the sharing vs lack of ownership thing, it sounds like it's a part of Korean culture that you're just not going to get across to an English speaking audience in a single line. Same with the being smart but not being able to take time to study since this would make sense to Koreans but not to say, Americans. It sounds to me like the translators just went with a line that's less clunky to English ears even though it cuts out the Korean context that non-Koreans wouldn't get anyway.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
These are the same arguments that the Catholic church had over translating the Mass to vernacular languages, and there are still people who insist that the Mass should only ever be done in Latin. It's fine to have a preference, or to point out some of the nuances that might be lost on non-native speakers, but don't be that rear end in a top hat who screams "HERESY!" while people are trying to enjoy a TV show. I like Squid Games, but it's not some sort of sacred canon.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That's some prime heresy right there.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

Now I need to know what the story is behind that very unfortunate profile pic

I wanted a cartoon skull for some reason and google gave me that. I didn’t realize until later that it was used by the loving Waffen SS.

I should probably change it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It’s not really fair to say that they are bad translations, which is why I didn’t link that girl’s post when I saw it

Most of this cultural context stuff can’t be translated into English without paragraphs explaining them, which is not realistic for a tv show

Better to just come to a forum and read these notes like LOTR trivia to enrich the show

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

They should put translator notes with several sentences at the top of the screen like anime fansubs.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Oh BTW

Netflix will change live subtitles on anime all the time based on feedback and I noticed they already changed some of the subtitles for Squid Game

When the married couple realize they’re playing marbles against each other they used to say “oh boy” but now they say “Honey…”

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Steve Yun posted:

Random Squid Game trivia

I thought of this too but in practice I'm not sure it was feasible. Generally because all the marbles look the same, and it would be difficult to clearly establish you actually won your opponents marbles. Even if you just swapped bags. I think you would have to rules lawyer your judge to clearly establish that you were both playing a game, and that your ten marbles were leaving your possession to your opponents. It would have been interesting to see play out, if only because I think the obvious judge reply would be to say there's no clear exchange. That or they possibly wouldn't accept the official 10/10 swap until time expired.

I had a similar wonder about the tug of war, if one team somehow ran forward enough and bailed, causing enough slack on their side to not cause the flag to clearly go over to the opponent, but then be pulled over and down with them as they fell. The risk of course the judges just cutting them off anyway.

Basically I think the judgments are fairly arbitrary anyway, and you're really having to hope the Front Man or the VIPs sign off on your maneuver. Which they might, if only because your high for playing them would get crushed in the next game.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Just checked out Squid Game finally. Amazing show. It's so good to see the death games genre getting some real mainstream appeal.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I will watch all his series as long as he keeps putting Rahul in them.

I also enjoy some Rahul in Bly Manor but his accent is kind of frustrating at times. In the span of 2 sentences he'll say several phrases that sound like a perfect American accent, then a few that aren't quite there. I dunno, it's kinda fun seeing the other random Flanagan actors show up to try some other part as well.

Honestly the whole thing seems like stage theater to some degree, and I like it, despite not enjoying dramatic stage theater. I can't explain myself.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Many Saints of Newark was so insanely pointless

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Tim Whatley posted:

Many Saints of Newark was so insanely pointless

Yeah. A typical episode of the show told a more complete story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
No One Gets Out Alive was a routine horror movie, but that monster design and the idea behind it was incredible. I really can't think of anything to say about the movie other than that the monster was great.

Guilty was intense. I don't know how many other actors could sell it like Jake Gyllenhaal did; yeah there's scenery chewing but it's mostly him in basically a sound booth. Minor spoilers for the ending, since all the action happens off screen the line of people waiting their turn to tell us what happened to each character got less believable as it went on. Like they could have filmed multiple resolutions for each person and used some RNG to give each Netflix viewer a unique ending... and all they'd need to change is one line a character says. Or leave out a line entirely.