Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Serf
May 5, 2011

Rutibex posted:

the earth won't be unlivable venus scenario no matter what. technology will save all of the privileged people quite easily.

some people just assume they will be the ones living in the techno-dome rather than the ones dying from drought

lotta people think that they can science their way into replicating enough of earth's biosphere but smaller and they're totally wrong

the beauty of the climate apocalypse is that its inescapable and everyone's gonna get owned in their own time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I read something I found upsetting yesterday. The bird with the largest brain in the Anthropocene was quite intelligent - smart enough to solve puzzles, have a complex social structure, and predict weather patterns. But despite the huge brain, it had no concept of an apex predator, so sailors could grab one and hold it upside down and club all of the birds that ran to help their squawking friend. Because their instincts couldn't cope with meeting murder apes, the dodo bird got an undeserved reputation for being stupid and obsolete.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Technology will magically save us in a few years is what people have been repeating my entire life. I believed this completely, I worked in tech for decades and got an advanced degree in the techiest of techs.

It has all been bullshit, the technology is used to enrich a clique who adopts early, then they try to monopolize whatever the new tech is.

There is very little innovation or progress happening anymore, almost all business is now just reinforcing the walls and moat around your monopoly while accelerating stock buybacks. It's the inverse of innovation.

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 14:33 on Oct 2, 2021

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Rapacity posted:

I care less about the “domes” or whatever weird techno fantasies you have than I care about the fact that our natural world is already immeasurably poorer than it was even when I was born less than 50 years ago. Millions of years of diversity and interdependence crushed into the polluted dirt.

I'm sorry these dumb people have upset you. Come, come let us rejoice and forget. Yea, join us here and sing: lol. Lmao

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Stereotype posted:

haha owned. get wrecked earth

Look we deserve our fate. Sweet guinea pigs and capybaras deserve a planet without us and it completely sucks that we're taking them all out in our death throes

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/flclimatecenter/status/1444298079692378113?s=12

Florida stinks.

https://twitter.com/christophlyon/status/1444291124034772996?s=21

I don't see any domes in this video but there are some other ridiculous tech solutions in there.

I'll never stop laughing at the fact that all the major climate projections stop at 2100 and treating that like it's the distant future.

https://youtu.be/kmzpdd4pWvM

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Complications posted:

There'll probably be enough phosphate on the market for the first world to fertilize its number at the expense of definitely nobody important unless other governments commit Blasphemy Against the Free Market for some completely unforeseeable reason.

Most of the world's potash gets exported by Camada and comes from Saskatchewan. Many potash mines in Saskatchewan are now owned by Chinese companies. So again this is a great opportunity to lol and lmao

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

Most of the world's potash gets exported by Camada and comes from Saskatchewan. Many potash mines in Saskatchewan are now owned by Chinese companies. So again this is a great opportunity to lol and lmao

:canada:

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Pro-click channel if you want to have a laugh get stuck in your throat and feel blinding white rage build up inside of you at the same time*.

* being aussie not required.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

No no no, this will be the set of climate targets we don't miss. I triple pinky promise swear this time.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1444308964255096836?s=20

*takes private jet to birthday party

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Pryor on Fire posted:

Technology will magically save us in a few years is what people have been repeating my entire life. I believed this completely, I worked in tech for decades and got an advanced degree in the techiest of techs.

It has all been bullshit, the technology is used to enrich a clique who adopts early, then they try to monopolize whatever the new tech is.

There is very little innovation or progress happening anymore, almost all business is now just reinforcing the walls and moat around your monopoly while accelerating stock buybacks. It's the inverse of innovation.

I don’t know how some people lived through 1980 to 2000 and 2000 to 2020, and still think both these gaps represent ever growing tech progress. The last twenty years feels like such stagnation. Maybe it’s just my anecdotal observation, I Dunno.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Privatization stopped technology. You can't progress technologically funding exclusively consumer facing products or otherwise products required to produce a profit.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Pryor on Fire posted:

No no no, this will be the set of climate targets we don't miss. I triple pinky promise swear this time.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1444308964255096836?s=20

*takes private jet to birthday party

Could have sworn the decisive decade was 20 years ago if we wanted a snowball's chance in California's wildfires to survive.

Ah well. You die, you learn.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Popoto posted:

I don’t know how some people lived through 1980 to 2000 and 2000 to 2020, and still think both these gaps represent ever growing tech progress. The last twenty years feels like such stagnation. Maybe it’s just my anecdotal observation, I Dunno.

You are correct, back in like 1990 no company would come out and say something like We are committed to returning 100% of free cash flow back to investors via stock buybacks and dividends, there will be no increases to expenses or additional R&D spending in perpetuity.

But that's exactly what Texas Instruments has been telling investors for years now, it's just a race to keep up on stock buybacks with everyone else. TI isn't alone, half the companies in the S&P have given up on R&D completely, which would have been inconceivable 40 years go.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

mcbexx posted:

Pro-click channel if you want to have a laugh get stuck in your throat and feel blinding white rage build up inside of you at the same time*.

* being aussie not required.

Pairs well that way with the Australian cartoon First Dog on the Moon. Wish someone would draw the Canadian equivalent featuring tar sands, residential schools, and endless corrupt government.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rapacity posted:

I care less about the “domes” or whatever weird techno fantasies you have than I care about the fact that our natural world is already immeasurably poorer than it was even when I was born less than 50 years ago. Millions of years of diversity and interdependence crushed into the polluted dirt.

some times i think about the Permian–Triassic extinction event and shed a single tear. then i think of Gaia and realize she doesnt give a single gently caress

Rutibex has issued a correction as of 16:37 on Oct 2, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

lotta people think that they can science their way into replicating enough of earth's biosphere but smaller and they're totally wrong

the beauty of the climate apocalypse is that its inescapable and everyone's gonna get owned in their own time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u3_nKWMj9I

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

the earth won't be unlivable venus scenario no matter what. technology will save all of the privileged people quite easily.

some people just assume they will be the ones living in the techno-dome rather than the ones dying from drought

the rich will outlive anyone in a doomsday scenario

Thing is human technology isn't magic and eventually you run out of something. The more money and time you have to prepare the longer you would last but all they are doing is buying themselves time. They aren't creating permanent arks that carry on Richness throughout a dead earth.

Acid rain that nerds can still sit around and whine about how it doesn't meet the same metrics as venus but harsh enough to unexpectedly erode critical infrastructure? Better hope you have literally everything you need inside that dome to solve this problem and any others, forever, permanently.

I'd say Elon's Dream Bunker Society backed by his wealth and a decade or two to prepare might last more than a few decades if everything went right. You still use your last air exchanger motherboard or make your last air exchanger motherboard when you run out of one of the raw materials for your miracle factory that produces everything.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 17:36 on Oct 2, 2021

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Mayor Dave posted:

Donziger got 6 months in real jail for contempt of court lmfao, guess it doesn't pay to win a lawsuit against Chevron

https://twitter.com/SDonziger/status/1444013420857204737?s=19

incredible, textbook fascism done blatantly right in our own country lmao

corporate prosecutor, corporate judge, zero impartiality, and a 6 month jail sentence for a misdemeanor when he's already been in house arrest for 2 years. and the previous record sentence for the charge was like 30 days house arrest or something

:crackping:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Popoto posted:

It's because we're letting companies define innovation for us. Computers and the internet (at least in concept) were legitimately huge innovations, but tiny computers that give you access to the internet all the time are basically just vehicles for more ads and consumption.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rectal Death Adept posted:

the rich will outlive anyone in a doomsday scenario

Thing is human technology isn't magic and eventually you run out of something. The more money and time you have to prepare the longer you would last but all they are doing is buying themselves time. They aren't creating permanent arks that carry on Richness throughout a dead earth.

Acid rain that nerds can still sit around and whine about how it doesn't meet the same metrics as venus but harsh enough to unexpectedly erode critical infrastructure? Better hope you have literally everything you need inside that dome to solve this problem and any others, forever, permanently.

I'd say Elon's Dream Bunker Society backed by his wealth and a decade or two to prepare might last more than a few decades if everything went right. You still use your last air exchanger motherboard or make your last air exchanger motherboard when you run out of one of the raw materials for your miracle factory that produces everything.

oh yeah the "rich people in jars" will only last 50 years tops. just long enough that no one who is responsible for this situation will experience any consequences in their lifetime

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
im curious how far they could actually get under ideal circumstances with today's technology

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I kinda hope the ultra-mega-rich *do* plan to try and go with Elonsyium, Imagining them dying of multiple cancers all at once is :allears:.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

im curious how far they could actually get under ideal circumstances with today's technology

loving nowhere, that's the whole point of this fable we're living. Ask anyone into aquariums about how much harder proportionally it is to keep smaller tanks stable, then extrapolate. We couldn't keep a planet-sized dome that came with cool see-thru protective layers and huge thermal stabilizers running, what makes anyone think we have the talents to run smaller domes?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Serf posted:

This is currently the best closed ecosystem that I am aware of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es6DDuMmhAM

The rich might survive, but they'd be reduced to licking the condensation off of the walls.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
This idea that the rich will survive and rule the world from their uber-Domes™ is pretty hilarious and more techno babble thinking. The rich already DO own and run the world and under their stewardship its going to hell. However, they're only rich as long as money holds any meaning so they're desperately trying to keep the status quo for as long as possible.

Domes? lmao

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
The rich mostly aren't preparing for total supply chain breakdowns and they probably couldn't anyway. Elonsium might become a thing, but it's not going to happen in secret and it'd be way obvious for a long time that oh the rich are building giant apocalyptic dome cities.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
"Hello I would like to purchase 100 years worth of grain for 10000 people"

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.
They're going to strip-mine Greenland down to its foundation over the next couple decades
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1443946771760168994
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1443946784590635011

Just one resource war to occur among hundreds more, simultaneously.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rapacity posted:

This idea that the rich will survive and rule the world from their uber-Domes™ is pretty hilarious and more techno babble thinking. The rich already DO own and run the world and under their stewardship its going to hell. However, they're only rich as long as money holds any meaning so they're desperately trying to keep the status quo for as long as possible.

Domes? lmao

isopods can live in a 1 gallon jug and they are about 1cm long. a rich person is about 170cm long so they will require at least a 170 gallon jug to survive

such a jug can be obtained for $525.38
https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=29845

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
dunno why everyone is so fixated on domes and bein real mad about them, maybe it's those banner ads

but it's true rich people could live in bunkers with hydroponics and supplies for more than zero years and trying to figure out how long that might be isn't an endorsement of elonsyium

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Chamale posted:

I read something I found upsetting yesterday. The bird with the largest brain in the Anthropocene was quite intelligent - smart enough to solve puzzles, have a complex social structure, and predict weather patterns. But despite the huge brain, it had no concept of an apex predator, so sailors could grab one and hold it upside down and club all of the birds that ran to help their squawking friend. Because their instincts couldn't cope with meeting murder apes, the dodo bird got an undeserved reputation for being stupid and obsolete.

thanks for sharing!

wait the crack isn’t happening I’m just thinking about this sad and horrible thing make it stop make it stop

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

dunno why everyone is so fixated on domes and bein real mad about them, maybe it's those banner ads

but it's true rich people could live in bunkers with hydroponics and supplies for more than zero years and trying to figure out how long that might be isn't an endorsement of elonsyium

The only functional difference between a doomsday dome and a doomsday bunker is how seriously one takes the subject. If the surface isn't literally toxic to human life I imagine you could live in a well constructed bunker indefinitely if you can somehow keep up with repairs and avoid devolving into a fallout vault like social breakdown.

nomad2020 has issued a correction as of 19:49 on Oct 2, 2021

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Planet to provide more natural lmaos

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I kinda hope the ultra-mega-rich *do* plan to try and go with Elonsyium, Imagining them dying of multiple cancers all at once is :allears:.

honestly since they're kind of already obviously unwell emotionally the trauma of being locked up with no one to lord their superiority over besides their kill-switched/heart-plugged bodyguards and servants and being overmedicated for such to begin with chances of self-inflicted bullet cancer seem high

when it all finally sinks in

actually the more I think about it the more House Harkonnen the elite survivors of a dead planet seem. what would motivate them to keep living?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Popoto posted:

huge strides have been made in all sorts of areas just because your current iphone looks similar to your old iphone doesnt mean anything

(to be clear i am in no way saying this is the solution to climate change)

mediaphage has issued a correction as of 19:48 on Oct 2, 2021

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

me and the gang getting ready to poo poo in some dome vents

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

starkebn posted:

It doesn't seem that bad yet, I saw some skinks while walking to get a coffee this morning.

We don’t say that anymore, grandma

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

IAMKOREA posted:

Planet of the Humans is definitely on my to watch list after going to its Wikipedia page.

So I read this and saw that they cited three sources. That's their 'large body of literature'. Hmmm.... well 3 sources isn't exactly a large body, I think to myself. I routinely read papers that cite 5, 6, 7 or more papers. Things where you say "a large body of literature[23-31]".

Well anyway let me check these sources, I think. Maybe they are literature reviews that themselves will contain the citations needed to constitute a "large body of research"!

Huh, here's source 25...

Hm, The Guardian. Well maybe the next one will be an actual research paper. Source 26, coming up...

Hm, "Inside Climate News". That sounds trustworthy? I guess? Well let's check source 27.

Huh, this one doesn't actually have a publisher listed, it's just an author and a title? Well there's a link, let's click it.

https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2020/05/michael-moores-planet-of-the-humans-documentary-peddles-dangerous-climate-denial/

Oh okay, it came from Yale. Well, Yale! That's a respectable place!

Actually clicking and reading any of these articles is rage inducing. It's worse than that horrible D&D post I posted a few days ago. Here's a paragraph from the Yale paper:

Just the most disgusting poo poo you've ever read. And where are the loving citations!? WHERE IS THE loving BODY OF RESEARCH, WIKIPEDIA?

Wikipedia is such a loving insane biased ideological lovely website, god drat.

e: the best part of that Yale blog post is that there is a picture of the author who is, you guessed it, a white man.

e2: on wikipedia lovely blog posts that are hosted on yale's servers count as a "body of research". GOD DAMMIT I HATE WIKIPEDIA THIS HAS MADE ME SO ANGRY!

what i got out of this film was that renewables are in no way currently in a state where they need to be and that sucks because it's true. organizations / papers who criticize the film for climate denialism are pretty much exactly who are being criticized in the film lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

blatman posted:

me and the gang getting ready to poo poo in some dome vents

we should start a religion that will relentlessly search the world for ventilation shafts and poop in them until they are full. Make a whole big thing of it. Teach our elonsyium unworthy descendants that they can plug up the holes to hell and will be greatly rewarded for doing so.