Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

NomNomNom posted:

Threw some color swatches up on the wall. I'm partial to the green but everyone else I've polled likes the grey. It's crazy how blue the grey looks on the brick (there are only two colors).

In other news, I think I need to replace that door. The jamb is starting to rot at the bottom, which isn't that bad in and of itself but it's also a single pane light. Problem is, I measured and it's 34x83, which is a very not common size. So maybe I live with the door and replace the jamb.
Go with the one you like, period. Repaint it if/when you decide to sell. (I did; mine was turquoise blue for 20 years.) As it happens, I read an article today about how grey is over as a decorating trend, both inside and outside, so you'd actually be making the house look dated by using the color you didn't like as much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That green is kawaii af

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

own being pea soup green house live it inhabit it

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Deviant posted:

Can anyone recommend a set of low profile lights i can put inside my kitchen cabinets to better see in? They're a bit deep and it's hard to see stuff at the back some times.

Ideally they'd be fairly low profile, and only go on when the cabinet is open, to save battery, etc.

These aren't available anymore but I'm atirr you can find something similar. I used them in an apartment closet now they sit in an upstairs built-in that's darkish.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0762HTS8J/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_ZRNPNMVWKVQ8M86MA8TC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Deviant posted:

The problem is this is a tall cabinet with about 6 shelves. I could run a wall port to the microwave outlet, but I really dont' want to drill a bunch of holes in my cabinet.

Yeah that makes sense. I'm sure there are a bunch of battery powered LED options that will work, hopefully someone here can recommend one they've used before.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Go with the one you like, period. Repaint it if/when you decide to sell. (I did; mine was turquoise blue for 20 years.) As it happens, I read an article today about how grey is over as a decorating trend, both inside and outside, so you'd actually be making the house look dated by using the color you didn't like as much!

But the wife chose the grey :ohdear:

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

The Saucer Hovers posted:

own being pea soup green house live it inhabit it

hot: pea soup green house
not: the 2010s neutral of choice

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I like the green, op. Unironically.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
The green is good because it's an actual color. I also have a green house but it's more of a sage green. Also we have a purple front door. Everybody knows us (in the neighborhood) as the house with the purple door.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Ideally you're never in this situation again where an insurance co. makes you get a new roof because your current one is old, but you can get homeowner's insurance that doesn't cover your roof, or covers it at Actual Cash Value (probably zero if it's over 25 yrs old) instead of replacement cost.

That would be great, but our mortgage provider requires full coverage and for it to be paid for out of the escrow account, and we live in Miami right near the bay so the only insurance company that would touch us for full coverage was citizens. We had a few really twitchy weeks during closing when we were getting denied by insurance companies.

I guess the mortgage provider wont allow us to get in a situation where paying for a new roof because of damage makes us unable to make the mortgage payments. For the time this was the lowest apr we could get by quite a bit and we didn't consider that being a restriction, but I guess they get to lower their rates by making sure they only take on 'safe' lenders.
Getting dropped by the insurance company - the only one that would cover us, would result in us getting put on our mortgage provider's emergency insurance scheme, and once you're on that it's a loving nightmare to get coverage at a reasonable rate again.
amazing how those little tweaks to the contract that save .1% can cause issues down the line...
We could re-finance with a different provider to get around that, but we are already in our final year of living in the house so it felt like too much fuss, especially as any new buyer will make us take the cost of a new roof off the sale price anyway.

Lots of people around here got the same letter but because they don't have a mortgage anymore, they were able to switch their insurance to not cover the roof, and a few revealed they no longer have any insurance at all. Many of the houses around here are worth more as land for someone to knock down and build new.

An update to it - the guy that owns the roofing company came by this morning. he saw it and went 'ah poo poo yeah that's bad. leave it for a few weeks to dry out and I'll get that fixed for you' (he's a roofer, his brother is a builder/contractor, and he has another brother who's an electrician)
so we didn't have to fight about it.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Man it is ridiculous that insurance companies are literally denying people Because Miami. If there is no other climate change red alert that exists in the universe, in our country it should be that insurance companies will not take your money to insure property there, or it is at least difficult to find one that will.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

extravadanza posted:

The green is good because it's an actual color. I also have a green house but it's more of a sage green. Also we have a purple front door. Everybody knows us (in the neighborhood) as the house with the purple door.

This is a really good point and one I've previously made in one of these threads about how the ubiquity of greige interior walls might make it more difficult for prospective buyers to differentiate between houses on the market and how you might be served well by having at least a distinct not-greige accent wall or something to make your house stand out to buyers. (I was helping a friend look at houses not too long ago and the interiors all started to bleed together pretty quickly and providing opinions/feedback was hard because I had constant low grade deja vu).

Having a differentiated house is great. For example, we have the only stone house on our street, so it's "the stone house", which is easier to relay than "[street number] [street name], one of several gray/beige/blah houses".

As for the green itself, I'm personally partial to more sagey greens and the sample is a bit more towards the split pea end of the spectrum (which is still nice, don't get me wrong). If you like the idea of green, might be worthwhile to get a few more samples of similar shades and see how they look on the side of your house.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Is pink in?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

cubicle gangster posted:

I guess the mortgage provider wont allow us to get in a situation where paying for a new roof because of damage makes us unable to make the mortgage payments.

Lenders require you to carry full insurance because that's not your house, it's their house. If the place burns down to the ground, they need to know that they'll get their money back that they loaned you. Without insurance, they have nothing to foreclose on and sell to recover that money.

Their assumption is that if you had a few hundred grand lying around to pay them off, you probably wouldn't have a mortgage, so naturally they require you to get insurance to protect their collateral.

That's all it is, really. They couldn't care less if you pay for your roof out of pocket or if your insurance company pays for it. They only care that there's some backstop to their losses in case of catastrophe.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Yeah, but based on what Kaiser Schnitzel posted, seems like there are mortgage providers that will allow you forego roof coverage.

What's kind of wild that the actual 'value' of our house only represents about 20% of what we paid - the rest is the land. poo poo us up a little when we got our insurance summary back and the most they would ever possibly pay out was only 20% of what we bought it for.
be nice if the mortgage company would take the land and structure into account separately - you could see it as our house is fully paid off, and we've only got a loan left on the land... but then that wouldn't be beneficial for them.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Queen Victorian posted:

As for the green itself, I'm personally partial to more sagey greens and the sample is a bit more towards the split pea end of the spectrum (which is still nice, don't get me wrong). If you like the idea of green, might be worthwhile to get a few more samples of similar shades and see how they look on the side of your house.

This is my biggest complaint with it. I love darker greens, but that particular shade is giving me flashbacks to late seventies appliance avocado.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Old and busted:

New hotness:

Now I have a matching set. :getin:

Walked into the appliance store to get a quote and a lead time estimate and they had the exact match to my washer in clearance for $300 off because it was a display model. Bought it then and there.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 4, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

NomNomNom posted:

But the wife chose the grey :ohdear:

Duel to the death using paint samples.

e: yeah. I was always "Turn right, and it's third on the right. Bright blue house, you can't miss it."

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

MrYenko posted:

This is my biggest complaint with it. I love darker greens, but that particular shade is giving me flashbacks to late seventies appliance avocado.

I love it because it's avocado.
Or matcha.
Mint green w chocolate accents :swoon:
(We have a grey house with a bold red door.)

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sous Videodrome posted:

My neighbors are constantly, constantly burning wood in their fireplace. They are slightly downhill of me which means their chimney is level with my daylight basement. So like 40% of the time I'm just getting smoke in. I'm really tired of it. I'm sealing the windows and doors etc. on that side of the house. One of the other things I thought of doing to mitigate it is to install and intake/exhaust fan in the laundry room on the side of the house facing away from the neighbors. That way I could turn on the intake fan, pull in clean air from the other side of the house and create positive air pressure when I'm getting smoke from the neighbors. The positive air pressure should keep some of the smoke out. I've been thinking about installing an exhaust fan in the laundry room anyway, so it feels like just a little extra effort to find and wire up one that can also do intake.

Does this sound reasonable? Any recommendations on a particular unit? The house is around 3,000 sq ft, ~1500 basement and 1500 upstairs.

I'd suggest trying it by shoving a box fan or whatever you can fit in the window, and see how that goes. I'm not entirely sure that a standard exhaust fan setup is going to be able to pressurize you house to the degree you'd need here. Are there actually exhaust fans that can do intake as well? I've never heard of that

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

cubicle gangster posted:

Yeah, but based on what Kaiser Schnitzel posted, seems like there are mortgage providers that will allow you forego roof coverage.

I might have misread but not in Florida there aren't.

Signed, the guy currently in mediation with swyfft about his roof.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Deviant posted:

I might have misread but not in Florida there aren't.

Signed, the guy currently in mediation with swyfft about his roof.

Why did you get a policy from them? I’ve never even heard of that company until now.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Sometimes your choices in a hurricane prone area are limited.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Dumb question: I just got the Q2 tax bill. Do I need to send that to the mortgage company or do they handle it?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Dumb question: I just got the Q2 tax bill. Do I need to send that to the mortgage company or do they handle it?

Yes AND no..
Are your taxes in the escrow? They may be or you may be expected to pay, call your mortgage company and find out.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

tater_salad posted:

Yes AND no..
Are your taxes in the escrow? They may be or you may be expected to pay, call your mortgage company and find out.

Taxes are in escrow.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Taxes are in escrow.

Make sure the lender knows about the bill.

Often you get sent the tax bill as a reference. The lender should be getting that information as well. But make sure because if for some reason they didn't receive it then they won't pay it, and if they don't pay it then you'll be late and it'll turn in to a cluster gently caress to sort it out.

edit: so to be sure, if taxes are in escrow then the lender is required by federal law to pay it on time. But it's better to get ahead of it and make sure they have what they need than to let them fail and then have to clean everything up. Even if it's just writing a letter, it's stressful, might end up with a lien for a bit, and you'll have to constantly follow up and make sure they're doing their job.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 6, 2021

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

I'm (re) finishing my basement. I just framed and insulated an exterior wall. I'm about to put up the drywall on the wall and start drywalling the ceiling. Is it worth insulating the basement ceiling?

It's a 2 story house with a hydronic heating system. It's just my wife and me that live here. No kids, no plans for kids. Neither of us has been bothered upstairs by noise from the basement nor have we been bothered downstairs by noise from upstairs. There's one room underneath the bedroom that will be the workshop, so I am going to insulate the ceiling of the workshop just to cut down on tool noise. But realistically I won't be in there making noise that often when she's in the bedroom wanting things to be quiet.

So I'm wondering if there's any real benefit to spending the time and money to insulate the entire basement ceiling between the floor joists. I get that it would cut down on noise but there just isn't that much of a problem. I also don't see much of an issue with any heat rising from the basement, as it will just heat the upper floor. Which is fine.

Is there some reason I absolutely should insulate the basement ceiling? Or is there no point for a 2 person household with no noise conflicts? I don't want to spend the money if we're not gonna get any benefit from it.

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

devicenull posted:

I'd suggest trying it by shoving a box fan or whatever you can fit in the window, and see how that goes. I'm not entirely sure that a standard exhaust fan setup is going to be able to pressurize you house to the degree you'd need here. Are there actually exhaust fans that can do intake as well? I've never heard of that

I don't know! I'll do some research on it. I'm just looking for a sanity check, really

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Sous Videodrome posted:

I'm (re) finishing my basement. I just framed and insulated an exterior wall. I'm about to put up the drywall on the wall and start drywalling the ceiling. Is it worth insulating the basement ceiling?

It's a 2 story house with a hydronic heating system. It's just my wife and me that live here. No kids, no plans for kids. Neither of us has been bothered upstairs by noise from the basement nor have we been bothered downstairs by noise from upstairs. There's one room underneath the bedroom that will be the workshop, so I am going to insulate the ceiling of the workshop just to cut down on tool noise. But realistically I won't be in there making noise that often when she's in the bedroom wanting things to be quiet.

So I'm wondering if there's any real benefit to spending the time and money to insulate the entire basement ceiling between the floor joists. I get that it would cut down on noise but there just isn't that much of a problem. I also don't see much of an issue with any heat rising from the basement, as it will just heat the upper floor. Which is fine.

Is there some reason I absolutely should insulate the basement ceiling? Or is there no point for a 2 person household with no noise conflicts? I don't want to spend the money if we're not gonna get any benefit from it.

You have it open so might as well because your plans/use/sensitivity might change, is the only reason to do it. But if that’s not worth the cost, and you truly don’t have any issues with sound or temperature, I don’t see why you would need to.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Sorry it took me a week to get back to this friends. I have other parts of my lawn that have spent the last year under heavy thick black plastic, and I'm going to try and get grass seed down over it in the spring. This particular section I'd rather skip that, because I want to get the trees in and growing as soon as possible.

Motronic posted:

* actual results may vary. DO NOT TILL AFTER THIS, as you may drag up dormant weed seeds that didn't get totally smoked by solarizng.

(you can also skip all of this with readily available herbicides)

What herbicide would you recommend for this? I'm very new to chemical application.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Only reason I can think of NOT to insulate is because it might make running new wires/whatever more difficult down the road. But that's not insurmountable.

It'll be time/effort, but now's your chance to add some soundproofing and get a little more efficiency going on in your house. Should also help minimize the temperature variations in the basement versus the rest of the house.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Wonder Weapon posted:

What herbicide would you recommend for this? I'm very new to chemical application.

Glyphosate (i.e. Roundup). I'd be mixing at 2.5 oz per gallon with a generic 41% glyphosate (amazon, domyown, etc) and add a tablespoon of dish soap.

The method of action for glyphosate is to inhibit water uptake, so depending on how well watered the grass/weeds are it could take 10 days to see any significant change. If you see things turning brown and there are patches of the same grass/weeds that have not turned you should spot apply to those areas.

General guidance is that it should be safe to re-seed in 14 days.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Motronic posted:

Glyphosate (i.e. Roundup). I'd be mixing at 2.5 oz per gallon with a generic 41% glyphosate (amazon, domyown, etc) and add a tablespoon of dish soap.

The method of action for glyphosate is to inhibit water uptake, so depending on how well watered the grass/weeds are it could take 10 days to see any significant change. If you see things turning brown and there are patches of the same grass/weeds that have not turned you should spot apply to those areas.

General guidance is that it should be safe to re-seed in 14 days.

Ah ok. I've got some Roundup kicking around.

Here's an updated plan of attack:

1. Rake out all the debris from the area
2. Mix 2.5oz Roundup with a gallon of water and a tbsp of soap. Put in a sprayer and coat the area
3. Wait until spring
4. Put a fresh layer of topsoil over the area to smooth/level
5. Plant the trees
6. Apply creeping thyme (serpyllum) in between the trees

My only concern with this is that I have a single tree that is in the line of attack that I plan to leave alone. How dangerous will spraying the Roundup nearby be? It's probably 6" in diameter and maybe 20' tall.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

DaveSauce posted:

Make sure the lender knows about the bill.

Often you get sent the tax bill as a reference. The lender should be getting that information as well. But make sure because if for some reason they didn't receive it then they won't pay it, and if they don't pay it then you'll be late and it'll turn in to a cluster gently caress to sort it out.

edit: so to be sure, if taxes are in escrow then the lender is required by federal law to pay it on time. But it's better to get ahead of it and make sure they have what they need than to let them fail and then have to clean everything up. Even if it's just writing a letter, it's stressful, might end up with a lien for a bit, and you'll have to constantly follow up and make sure they're doing their job.

To add to this, as said, the lender is obligated to pay the bill, and they will only do so if they know about it. If the tax board doesn't know to send the bill to the lender it's possible that it won't get paid which is going to lead to issues for you. It's always better to check to make sure they got the bill if you are unsure.

In my area at least the local tax board puts "Paid By Escrow" and the lender's name on the bill, letting me know both that they've sent them a copy and that I am not expected to send them a payment.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FuzzySlippers posted:

So how do people feel about various types of not wood but wood looking floor? My wife got very keen on ceramic wood look tiles but they do seem to have a lot of downsides (cold, hard, expensive). I've seen laminates that look pretty good.

(We're replacing carpets with nothing underneath and actual wood isn't an option for a lot of reasons)

Wife and I put in LVP to replace our upstairs carpet which was old. It looks awesome. If you really look at it close you can tell its not wood but it doesn't look bad at all and is really easy to clean and care for. We did about 1k square ft for $8k for everything installed including carpet demo, taxes etc. We could have knocked around $1k off of that using a slightly different material, but went with one with thicker rubber matting to help deaden the sound etc a little more given that its the upstairs.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

2. Mix 2.5oz Roundup with a gallon of water and a tbsp of soap. Put in a sprayer and coat the area
3. Wait until spring
5. Plant the trees

My only concern with this is that I have a single tree that is in the line of attack that I plan to leave alone. How dangerous will spraying the Roundup nearby be? It's probably 6" in diameter and maybe 20' tall.

Sounds like a good plan.

Some contact with the tree will not be a problem, but try to keep it off the trunk and spray on a calm day to minimize drift.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

3. Wait until spring
5. Plant the trees

Roundup only really enters the plant through green parts-leaves, green stems, the exposed cambium in a cut stem-but it isn't absorbed through the roots or woody stems, so it should be fine around the tree. Better to be a little safe than sorry though, especially if there are branches or suckers near the base.

Make sure the roundup you have and are diluting is concentrated 41%, not premixed from the store.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Some pitfalls I had re: taxes and insurance.

My last mortgage had taxes in escrow but I got a late bill from the county a year in. The mortgage company was paying the county property tax only and not the additional melloroos. Also, the county was mailing the bills to my previous address only and USPS was not forwarding them for some reason. I was unaware until I happened to run into my roommate and he mentioned the mail.

A large area near my current house caught on fire between offer acceptance and closing. All insurance companies rejected us based on zip code and we scrambled to get through to someone. They finally opened up as the fire got contained but it was like a week and a half of nonsense up against a deadline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Make sure the roundup you have and are diluting is concentrated 41%, not premixed from the store.

Oh I have the premixed one from Lowe's. This thing: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Roundup-Ready-To-Use-1-Gallon-Weed-and-Grass-Killer/1000042435