Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2021/10/4/plane-crashes-into-building-in-milan-8-people-killed

this billionaire has done more to combat climate change than I can hope to accomplish in my natural lifespan :cheerdoge:

this is good however i'm still lolling at whoever posted that helicopters are technically the most successful green technology because of how often they crash, killing their rich passengers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god
lets crack down on helicopter maintenance as a field, really like, drive those wages down, pile that work load up, really just make it hell to pursue a career in helicopter maintenance in general

what about rigging individual billionaires heli's with some sort of explosive, how feasible is that

vvv- yup

That Spooky Witch has issued a correction as of 12:31 on Oct 4, 2021

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Let's back off from this line of discussion, thanks.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
only right wing fascists can openly plan political assassinations or incite mob violence and terrorism. you get in trouble if you do it from the left.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

blatman posted:

this is good however i'm still lolling at whoever posted that helicopters are technically the most successful green technology because of how often they crash, killing their rich passengers

I wonder how private airplanes compare, surely helicopters can’t be that much more efficient than other methods

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Stereotype posted:

only right wing fascists can openly plan political assassinations or incite mob violence and terrorism. you get in trouble if you do it from the left.

If you get popular enough on the left, you just get murdered in an unrelated incident

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

That Spooky Witch posted:

what about rigging individual billionaires heli's with some sort of explosive, how feasible is that

vvv- yup

They're called rockets op. Rich people are attracted to them like they were bug zappers.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
rubbing my polyester uniform at work and started thinking about synthetic clothing today

then my mind wandered to drier lint traps and all the material too small to get caught in the trap, just blowing out a vent somewhere

then i started wondering what n95 masks are made of since we're breathing through them

lol

lmao

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
the plastic crack ping is the most sinister one of all. i wonder if the scientists who narrowed down lead pollution from cars became this insane when they realized how much lead was literally everywhere.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I wonder how many millenials have 'eventually decide I've had enough and go out trying to murder an oil exec' as their retirement plan...

Also I'm p sure removing the lead from gasoline or CFCs from refrigerant was only deemed acceptable because there was still money to be made in the process.

There's no money to be made from degrowth. Nobody's going to champion reducing our work week from 40 hours to 24 while switching away from less durable to more durable products that we all consume less of.

At least you could be onboard with cutting CFCs while investing in companies that built refrigerant systems or some poo poo.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Minrad posted:

rubbing my polyester uniform at work and started thinking about synthetic clothing today

then my mind wandered to drier lint traps and all the material too small to get caught in the trap, just blowing out a vent somewhere

then i started wondering what n95 masks are made of since we're breathing through them

lol

lmao

even better to think about how many microplastics and microfibres wash down the drain as your washer empties its load

EvilJoven posted:

I wonder how many millenials have 'eventually decide I've had enough and go out trying to murder an oil exec' as their retirement plan...

Also I'm p sure removing the lead from gasoline or CFCs from refrigerant was only deemed acceptable because there was still money to be made in the process.

There's no money to be made from degrowth. Nobody's going to champion reducing our work week from 40 hours to 24 while switching away from less durable to more durable products that we all consume less of.

At least you could be onboard with cutting CFCs while investing in companies that built refrigerant systems or some poo poo.

lol none

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i think we have enough goods already. we could stop making stuff tomorrow and not run out of stupid rubbish for 100 years

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Rutibex posted:

i think we have enough goods already. we could stop making stuff tomorrow and not run out of stupid rubbish for 100 years

Civilization would collapse no matter what economic system was in place and I'm totally serious. Making stupid rubbish is the entire point, once you're up past tribes and into having written records of social organization the machine exists to sustain itself and its body is mostly junk mail

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Most of our crap doesn't last nearly as long as it could and if we stopped making it we'd run out of it so fast, especially because they're not even designed to be fixed when they break.

We need to go back to stuff that can be fixed with a screwdriver a few basic parts from the corner hardware store and the schematic taped to the inside panel of the thing.

And then we need to stop throwing that out anyways because we want something that looks new because we're desperate to try to repair that hole in our soul with retail therapy.

But that won't happen because the Waltons say so.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
This thread needs more funny lol lmao we're all gonna die and here we are seriousposting about it like chumps.

Someone post an awesome tweet or something.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

You have to come to terms with the fact that most of the (living) people who bear the most responsibility for the destruction of the planet won't ever face any repercussions for it. Even in the "out of control warming by mid-century" scenarios they will live sheltered lives 'til the end.

https://twitter.com/LiuzhuLiu/status/1444993761138728965?s=20
:bravo:

bowser has issued a correction as of 13:55 on Oct 4, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EvilJoven posted:

Most of our crap doesn't last nearly as long as it could and if we stopped making it we'd run out of it so fast, especially because they're not even designed to be fixed when they break.

We need to go back to stuff that can be fixed with a screwdriver a few basic parts from the corner hardware store and the schematic taped to the inside panel of the thing.

And then we need to stop throwing that out anyways because we want something that looks new because we're desperate to try to repair that hole in our soul with retail therapy.

this is true. i put a wood shop together recently and the tools i was able to obtain are a combination of new things and hand tools that are 100+ years old. nothing in between, i can get brand new or i can find used antiques

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

I got into a dumb argument in the succ zone thread about gmos last night - what I wanted to get across was that we should be very suspicious of companies like Bayer Crop Science, since their primary purpose in developing gmos is to sell chemicals like round-up and take away autonomy from small local farmers (particularly in places like Africa, and especially funded by freaks like Bill Gates) and that they aren't going to save us from ourselves, regardless of whether the crops themselves are harmful to human health or not (they're not, imo). But it devolved into a bunch of people acting like I was a complete moron since apples and all the other crops we eat have technically also been "genetically modified" through breeding. Also I'm an idiot because scientists will just put a "grow in hot/dry climate" gene into plants and save us from the consequences of climate change. Anyway it felt like being in D&D and it was really dumb!

Anyway I later thought of a good analogy - everyone on the internet loves to quote the fact that Papa Johns ran the numbers and found it would take an additional 16 cents per pizza or something like that to give every employee health insurance.

There is not a single doubt in my mind that the same applies to agriculture. As soon as you start to question the destructive practices of modern industrial agriculture people flip out - "WELL HOW ARE YOU GOING TO FEED 10 BILLION PEOPLE?". Of course meanwhile modern industrial agriculture has literally killed 75% of all insect biomass, and god knows how much bacterial and fungal biomass since nothing grows in the deserts it creates.

I wonder how much more our food would cost if it were all grown in a way that contributed to local ecology instead of destroying it. Would it double? Triple? Or would it be completely marginal like the 16 cent increase on pizza?

I guess you could look at the prices of "organic" food for a clue but that's mostly* marketing bullshit (*depends on the company/producer, there is a huge range, some "organic" stuff is worse than "conventional").

Regardless, it would be completely worthwhile in my mind. But of course, as you point out, it will never ever happen. lol. lmao.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

NUMBER go UP

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

My sister is thinking of moving to Florida. Anyone have any good articles explaining how terrible of an idea that is? Florida has to be one of the worst states to move to due to climate change, right?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

My sister is thinking of moving to Florida. Anyone have any good articles explaining how terrible of an idea that is? Florida has to be one of the worst states to move to due to climate change, right?

explain 'Florida man' to her

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

IAMKOREA posted:

Regardless, it would be completely worthwhile in my mind. But of course, as you point out, it will never ever happen. lol. lmao.

I really appreciate(and am saddened by) how much power terminator crops and licensing enforcements companies like Monsanto are able to cultivate but the GMO technology itself just feels like a detail and not really the crux of the issue

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Watched Soylent Green, it's a cool sci-fi movie about food riots, the oceans and ecosystems dying off, class stratification, and militarized police using things like this on rioters:

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1444745764618575878

Set in the far future year of 2022.

Great movie

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

IAMKOREA posted:

I got into a dumb argument in the succ zone thread about gmos last night - what I wanted to get across was that we should be very suspicious of companies like Bayer Crop Science, since their primary purpose in developing gmos is to sell chemicals like round-up and take away autonomy from small local farmers (particularly in places like Africa, and especially funded by freaks like Bill Gates) and that they aren't going to save us from ourselves, regardless of whether the crops themselves are harmful to human health or not (they're not, imo). But it devolved into a bunch of people acting like I was a complete moron since apples and all the other crops we eat have technically also been "genetically modified" through breeding. Also I'm an idiot because scientists will just put a "grow in hot/dry climate" gene into plants and save us from the consequences of climate change. Anyway it felt like being in D&D and it was really dumb!

Anyway I later thought of a good analogy - everyone on the internet loves to quote the fact that Papa Johns ran the numbers and found it would take an additional 16 cents per pizza or something like that to give every employee health insurance.

There is not a single doubt in my mind that the same applies to agriculture. As soon as you start to question the destructive practices of modern industrial agriculture people flip out - "WELL HOW ARE YOU GOING TO FEED 10 BILLION PEOPLE?". Of course meanwhile modern industrial agriculture has literally killed 75% of all insect biomass, and god knows how much bacterial and fungal biomass since nothing grows in the deserts it creates.

I wonder how much more our food would cost if it were all grown in a way that contributed to local ecology instead of destroying it. Would it double? Triple? Or would it be completely marginal like the 16 cent increase on pizza?

I guess you could look at the prices of "organic" food for a clue but that's mostly* marketing bullshit (*depends on the company/producer, there is a huge range, some "organic" stuff is worse than "conventional").

you can start to get an idea by looking at local growers in your area that do things like practice soil remediation

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Orlando and Tallahassee are going to be the only semi-safe parts of Florida due to being reasonably above sea level but I think you have other problems.

Anyone voluntarily wanting to move to Florida at this point is probably doing so because they want to move somewhere where they won't be forced into doing *certain things* for the betterment of society as a whole.

Failing that, tell her to Google Palmetto bugs.

"It's fashier on the inside."

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/the-colorado-river-is-in-crisis-the-walton-family-is-pushing-a-solution-11633167002

quote:

The first-ever official shortage on the Colorado River has intensified a debate over how to provide water for 40 million people across the Southwest and irrigate fields of thirsty crops. No voice is more influential than that of the Walton family, billionaire heirs to the Walmart fortune. Walmart heirs have spent heavily to promote their view that water markets are the best way to deal with a dwindling supply.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

literally the worst family in america

worse than bushes

worse than trumps

gently caress do i despise them

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

The narrative is different depending on the part of the state, so it depends why she'd want to go.

South Florida the story is a little easier since there is already routine, obvious flooding and saltwater intrusion means you can't just hedge your bets by living further from the coastline. Tampa Bay and the gulf coast the story seems to be about the dead zone there basically killing all aquatic life. Both are in the path of regular hurricanes. Those are really the only two desirable places though IMO.

Orlando has all the bad parts of Florida but no beach. Jacksonville is a neo-Confederate shithole AND is susceptible to climate change. And the panhandle is basically just South Alabama. If she's looking in those places her judgement is compromised and she wouldn't care about climate change anyway.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

mediaphage posted:

you can start to get an idea by looking at local growers in your area that do things like practice soil remediation

So about double. Which is a huge amount of money for families living paycheck to paycheck in our current hellscape, but not an insurmountable societal problem. Something that could easily be implemented if everything didn't have to be as loving horrific as possible.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I really appreciate(and am saddened by) how much power terminator crops and licensing enforcements companies like Monsanto are able to cultivate but the GMO technology itself just feels like a detail and not really the crux of the issue

this is a much better thread for discussion. i don't really want to get into it again, but i do appreciate your point and do want to offer a few additional thoughts as a sort of closure for myself. as much as i hate to admit it i was pretty mad about the whole thing last night. that's what i get for arguing about something that i actually care about deeply in real life on the internet. i do not have any issues with the technology, either. in biochemistry lab at uni i recall modifying ecoli to produce something... maybe it was insulin? i can't remember. in any case, although i'm not an expert, i'm also not completely ignorant and i'm certainly not scared of the technology nor am i against its use in - for instance - the medical field for the production of insulin.

people were making fun of me for pointing out that i am a chemical engineer (since only a microbiologist or geneticist should be commenting on gmos, apparently). and unfortunately i didn't get a chance to explain myself well. nothing will crack your ping like attending a 'climate focused' conference at the Shell headquarters in amsterdam and listening to their executives 'blah blah blah' about the new circular green economy and then a few hours later get absolutely loving giddy like a 5 year old on Christmas morning about the lack of arctic sea ice meaning that the Yamal LNG facility in siberia can be reached by ship year round without the need for nuclear powered ice breakers. my experience in industry has led me to be deeply cynical of industry and science. that's all i wanted to try to get across.

in any case, with regard to the technology itself just being a detail, consider that 81% of gm crops that are planted at the moment have been bred to be herbicide resistant. spraying massive amounts of herbicides decimates the soil food web by destroying flowering plants that pollinators need for food. they die, their predators die, and the arthropods and bacteria that would normally live off of their corpses die. everything dies. but there's a fuckload of corn and soybeans.

the technology also works something like direct air carbon capture in terms of influencing public consciousness. people think that we will just 'science' our way out of this problem. we don't need to consider degrowth or any of the things EvilJoven posted about in this page, because we will just inject magic "grow in lovely climate" genes into our crops and capture the co2 we've emitted directly from the air!

here's the controversial opinion that i have that i didn't bring up in that thread because it is something that warrants a deep and nuanced discussion. i'm deeply suspicious - from an ecological perspective - of "simple" solutions like simply adding fungal resistance to a plant. if there is a fungus that's decimating a crop, there's an insanely high likelihood that the problem is entirely due to the horrible practices found in modern industrial agriculture. tillage, massive use of fungicide/herbicide/pesticide, and monocultures. i think it's completely the wrong approach. i think that most of the 'problems' gmo sets out to solve could be solved by simply farming differently, in a regenerative way. but again, that's extremely controversial and not something i want to discuss online with people who aren't open to the idea since it's something close to my heart.

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 16:24 on Oct 4, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

IAMKOREA posted:

this is a much better thread for discussion. i don't really want to get into it again, but i do appreciate your point and do want to offer a few additional thoughts as a sort of closure for myself. as much as i hate to admit it i was pretty mad about the whole thing last night. that's what i get for arguing about something that i actually care about deeply in real life on the internet. i do not have any issues with the technology, either. in biochemistry lab at uni i recall modifying ecoli to produce something... maybe it was insulin? i can't remember. in any case, although i'm not an expert, i'm also not completely ignorant and i'm certainly not scared of the technology nor am i against its use in - for instance - the medical field for the production of insulin.

people were making fun of me for pointing out that i am a chemical engineer (since only a microbiologist or geneticist should be commenting on gmos, apparently). and unfortunately i didn't get a chance to explain myself well. nothing will crack your ping like attending a 'climate focused' conference at the Shell headquarters in amsterdam and listening to their executives 'blah blah blah' about the new circular green economy and then a few hours later get absolutely loving giddy like a 5 year old on Christmas morning about the lack of arctic sea ice meaning that the Yamal LNG facility in siberia can be reached by ship year round without the need for nuclear powered ice breakers. my experience in industry has led me to be deeply cynical of industry and science. that's all i wanted to try to get across.

in any case, with regard to the technology itself just being a detail, consider that 81% of gm crops that are planted at the moment have been bred to be herbicide resistant. spraying massive amounts of herbicides decimates the soil food web by destroying flowering plants that pollinators need for food. they die, their predators die, and the arthropods and bacteria that would normally live off of their corpses die. everything dies. but there's a fuckload of corn and soybeans.

the technology also works something like direct air carbon capture in terms of influencing public consciousness. people think that we will just 'science' our way out of this problem. we don't need to consider degrowth or any of the things EvilJoven posted about in this page, because we will just inject magic "grow in lovely climate" genes into our crops and capture the co2 we've emitted directly from the air!

here's the controversial opinion that i have that i didn't bring up in that thread because it is something that warrants a deep and nuanced discussion. i'm deeply suspicious - from an ecological perspective - of "simple" solutions like simply adding fungal resistance to a plant. if there is a fungus that's decimating a crop, there's an insanely high likelihood that the problem is entirely due to the horrible practices found in modern industrial agriculture. tillage, massive use of fungicide/herbicide/pesticide, and monocultures. i think it's completely the wrong approach. i think that most of the 'problems' gmo sets out to solve could be solved by simply farming differently, in a regenerative way. but again, that's extremely controversial and not something i want to discuss online with people who aren't open to the idea.

permaculture would require a large number of people to go back to agriculture work. the reason we have huge mono crops is because it only takes a single farmer and his tractor to plant the whole field and harvest it.

i'm totally on board, but lol if you think that capitalism will figure out a way to split up the land for smaller more intensive farms

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Rutibex posted:

permaculture would require a large number of people to go back to agriculture work. the reason we have huge mono crops is because it only takes a single farmer and his tractor to plant the whole field and harvest it.

i'm totally on board, but lol if you think that capitalism will figure out a way to split up the land for smaller more intensive farms

i'm not talking about permaculture. most permaculture that i've seen is a scam to take people's money through classes.

large fields aren't necessarily monocultures. people have been creating large fields for a very long time, since the beginning of agriculture. the entire state of iowa being planted to corn and soybeans, without a single loving weed (flowering plant) in the entire field is a novel development.

i'm talking about things like managing fields by planting a cover crop like rye, and then killing the rye mechanically via a crimper (its like a huge screw that rolls over the field that a tractor pulls, it cuts the rye down at the stem), and then seeding crops like rice with a drill underneath the dead rye (which you leave on the field as mulch). this can all be done at a massive scale with enormous tractors, one 'farmer' can manage huge swathes of land. it's how Lundberg Farms in California grows rice. you can probably buy their rice at your local whole foods or health food store. but it costs marginally more. this goes back to the Papa Johns example - it's entirely possible to have massive scale mechanized regenerative agriculture.... it would just cost marginally more, and that's unacceptable in our current society.

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 16:37 on Oct 4, 2021

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
So what we need is a vanguard party of the proletariat to make sure the farming is planned

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

So what we need is a vanguard party of the proletariat to make sure the farming is planned

Yes!

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

mediaphage posted:

i mean i think spacex is still doing interesting space stuff. i'm not making any kind of case that it's at all good for the planet as a whole, though, as that wasn't the point of the original comment

Let's get specific. What exactly is SpaceX doing that you think is innovative . Like concrete technical details.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

IAMKOREA posted:

it's how Lundberg Farms in California grows rice

Their rice is really good ngl

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Only state worse than Florida wrt climate change is Louisiana

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

Let's get specific. What exactly is SpaceX doing that you think is innovative . Like concrete technical details.

not bothering with that poo poo in this thread of kerbal space experts

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Only state worse than Florida wrt climate change is Louisiana

i wonder how long it will take for them to update the maps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

I remember my crack-ping moment was when I visited an aquarium (ostensibly run by a non-profit) that had an exhibit about micro plastics in the oceans.

One of the dioramas was a washing machine and dryer with a basket of clothing next to it. The little information panel beneath it recited the fact that a single piece of synthetic material releases millions of plastic microfibres after being washed, which then drain out once the washer finishes its cycle.

Later, in the gift shop of the aquarium, I marvelled at the polyester orcas, blankets, and branded fleece vests that were for sale.

lol

lmao