Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Enjoying the 20 FPS experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Yesss an alpha in active development for more than 10 years.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Everyone knows it takes at LEAST a decade, maybe two, to get any game running higher than 20fps, that's just Science.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Of course!

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

skeletors_condom posted:

So someone on the SC :reddit: made a basic analysis of SC's networking performance during the Xenofail event.

Note the 22 mbit client bandwidth requirement and 160 ms built-in delay.

I applaud that the person doing analysis seemed pretty objective about it. I was wondering what similar games might require.

From https://www.pcgamer.com/apex-legends-tick-rate/ I see for, say, Apex Legends:

quote:

Battle(non)sense shows that Apex Legends runs at a server tick rate of 20Hz, fairly common (but not ideal) in online games
<snip>
This large amount of data is most visible in the amount of downstream bandwidth used (as high as 1.1Mbit/s), an average six times over that of rival Fortnite.

so from that, I think it's fair to say that Star Citizen uses 20x more bandwidth than Apex Legends, and 120x more bandwidth than Fortnite.

I believe the outbound data transfer price on AWS (i.e., AWS to the public internet) is something like $0.10/GB?

Assuming they have one fifty-player server running continuously...

1Gbps * 1 month = ~300 TB/month
300TB/month * $0.10/GB = $30,000 per month per server..

That number seems too ridiculously large even for crobear, so take that with a huge grain of salt. Still..
:crobear::crobear::crobear:

please please buy another Idris, jesus christ.

.random
May 7, 2007

Glad to see anecdotal experiences have become the norm for arguments on the Spectrum

marumaru
May 20, 2013

If someone gets stable fps between 20-30 the game is more than playable. Slide shows are less than 10. I know people are obsessed with more than 60fps and getting over 100 and unless they get that its a slideshow. But as someone who managed to play Arma 3 for hundreds of hours with between 20-30 fps, R6 siege at 20, etc it is more than playable if you like the game and is in no way a slide show.

30-40 fps is plenty to enjoy the game fully with no issues. Stable fps is the key part not fps number. I can hit over 70 in some places, but in landing zones or at events it often sits between 30-40 at 2k but then in places it goes up to 80-90 at landing zones. Literally no issues enjoying the game if your fps is under 40. My average says 40 and yet for most of the time it is 40-70, but I just visit landing zones often. The telemetry is not very accurate and should only be taken as a reference and not gospel.

So all you sound like is an fps snob. Plenty of people enjoy the game between 20-40 fps. Many games have cutscenes running at 30fps, and yet somehow they aren't slideshows.

marumaru fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 4, 2021

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

skeletors_condom posted:

I can confirm that 20 fps can be tolerable if you're used to it (at least if it is stable 20 fps, which in store citizer, lol). At some point while working on my stupid RTS hobby project, I had it locked to 20 fps for quite some time. When I finally unfucked it so it can update at 20 fps and render at whatever and seeing it in 60 fps, I could not believe how unbelievably lovely that 20 fps experience was. While I was used to it, it was kind of tolerable, but trying it after 60fps it was :barf: . However, at no point I would defend that 20 fps as being acceptable

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

commando in tophat posted:

I can confirm that 20 fps can be tolerable if you're used to it (at least if it is stable 20 fps, which in store citizer, lol). At some point while working on my stupid RTS hobby project, I had it locked to 20 fps for quite some time. When I finally unfucked it so it can update at 20 fps and render at whatever and seeing it in 60 fps, I could not believe how unbelievably lovely that 20 fps experience was. While I was used to it, it was kind of tolerable, but trying it after 60fps it was :barf: . However, at no point I would defend that 20 fps as being acceptable

For most games I'm fine with about 40 fps. 30 is noticeable choppy. When I went from a 60Hz monitor to a 75Hz monitor I could clearly see the difference when playing a super fast game like Doom, but between 40-60 is just fine by me for gaming.

20 fps is way too low to accept these days.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

skeletors_condom posted:

quote:

None of this will be a problem when server meshing gets sorted out.

whos gonna tell him

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

The quality of your internet connection has a lot to do with your experience of the game. People insist they have 'fast' internet but speed is not the issue - reliability is. Drop-outs happen, ISP's throttle and even pause connections Star Citizen is very sensitive to connection drop-out's far more than any other game.

I have played on 150mbs fibre optic, 4G and 5G mobile - mobile is definitely not as stable. WiFi is generally not worth the hassle. It's because the way the game works is different o other online games, you do not control your character/activate events locally on your machine, your local machine sends it's state/inputs to the server where inputs for all players are registered then the current server state with all player states is then sent out to every connected client to update their state - this can run slowly.. sometimes so slowly you think it isn't working.

If ASOP screens take a longer time than normal to respond, if doors don't open almost as soon as you approach them this is due to your internet reliability (remember you are sending net traffic through several server hops around the world), it is not server game code performance related, it is net traffic related. Missing elevators? Again it's your internet not the server. Your client registers your presence at the elevator and the 'door open state', but that information has to reach the server for it to know that an elevator has to be sent there. Walk away.. come back and the elevator will arrive because you have 're-triggered' it.

You may ask - 'Why do it that way if it causes so many issues?' and the answer is what makes Star Citizen different to any other game of it's scope - Persistence. The plan is that the universe moves forward in a timeline - like a soap opera never ending 'A living breathing universe'. Everything, absolutely everything is recorded and it's state is saved so that where-ever you are you can see the result of any action that took place before you were there. No-one has ever tried to do a story mode full persistence in an MMO before. Imagine 10 players all go to the elevators in TEASA Spaceport, they all have to see exactly the same thing happening at the same time - the elevator arrives and the door opens. If it were client side controlled, this wouldn't be possible. You don't get non-loading screen automatic doors and elevators in MMO's normally, why do think that might be?

Complaints about the netcode are from those who assume it is to be an MMO just like any other - it isn't. Star Citizen behaves like a single player game, and yet it is massively multiplayer in intent. You can get small map games that seem like the same level of scope, but they aren't. It's why you can't enter a building in GTA without a loading screen, and GTA has been in constant development for decades. In Star Citizen right now you can put out beacons, give other players little earning missions, they don't persist, once you log off the server it's gone this is the seed of what is to come, persistence means that players can create their own breadcrumb missions for other players, those items (whatever the player chooses) and 'beacons' will persistent for years in order for future players to find - that is Chris Roberts intent, to create a universe where the players can 'create' content for other players.

Lot's of people play the game for many hours at a time (me for example) with no issues beyond obvious development bugs like missing geometry and yet some seem to have nothing but 'bugs' every 5 minutes. I've finished tonnes of delivery missions. It seems odd that we are playing the same game and yet have very different experiences. Are people taking the time to monitor their network performance or just assuming it is 'always on'?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

that person still living in 2004 or what
basically everyone is on fiber now.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/p0WJk3h.mp4

h3isenbug
Jun 5, 2016

Right Meow!
https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1444801344477405188
Yeah, NFTs are cool, but have you ever heard about StarCitizen?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Honestly at this point the wavy hands man should just make some promises about blockchain whatever at citizen con. Why not? Probably good for goosing out another few million

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Mirificus posted:

quote:

I have played on 150mbs fibre optic, 4G and 5G mobile - mobile is definitely not as stable. WiFi is generally not worth the hassle. It's because the way the game works is different o other online games, you do not control your character/activate events locally on your machine, your local machine sends it's state/inputs to the server where inputs for all players are registered then the current server state with all player states is then sent out to every connected client to update their state - this can run slowly.. sometimes so slowly you think it isn't working.

This has been the state of networking in games since day 1. I find it hard to believe that even Storer Citizer would have no client side prediction. Otherwise that puts it in the same category as extremely sophisticated platforms like... BYOND :v:

Of course having the client predict things would only be possible in game that is just a mere fascimile of a real, breathing world. There's no possible way a client could predict, for example, the way micro-turbulence is cancelled out by the advanced engine God Tech in your Idris (or maybe a Cutlass Black if you're a man of, shall we say, less refined tastes :smuggo: also its DEFINITELY NOT NO CLIP i don't know why you fudsters keep saying that). So anyhow yeah this all makes sense and everything is as-expected. Check your house for copper and come back when you have at least 150Mbps fiber, scrub.

Next week... CIG has teamed up with Google to use their revolutionary networking technology in Stadia, solving latency issues everywhere for all time.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

No Mods No Masters posted:

Honestly at this point the wavy hands man should just make some promises about blockchain whatever at citizen con. Why not? Probably good for goosing out another few million

Citizencoin!

Invest today!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

It's not that other studios don't bother with it, it's that anyone can try it and see that it produces a horrible moiré pattern which anyone could tell you who's done 3d graphics in the last couple of decades. It's a detail that makes the result look less realistic than if you'd just skipped it.

The thing that bugs me the most is that in the hyper-future of this game, the idea that screens would have noticeable pixels is hilarious.

This reminds me of my dogs. One is this just this wall of muscle, while the other has a sort of skinny build like a greyhound (they're both rescue mutts, with the latter sort of looking like a cross between a husky and greyhound). When we first got them as puppies, the latter was a few months older (and thus larger). This seems to have permanently ingrained a relationship between them, where the first dog is constantly deferential to the latter.

Btw I normally don't like the "post random animal pictures/gifs in threads" thing, but this thread has some pretty great choices.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 4, 2021

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Dwesa posted:

AdzAdama might be one day replaced by neural networks

I hope he keeps doing what he does. There's a message in his works. I don't know exactly what, but it speaks.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

cmdrk posted:

Next week... CIG has teamed up with Google to use their revolutionary networking technology in Stadia, solving latency issues everywhere for all time.

Server meshing with negative latency coming soon!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

marumaru posted:

that person still living in 2004 or what
basically everyone is on fiber now.

I live in the US and it is impossible for me to get fiber where I am. I'm on DSL. I would have to pay literally thousands to get cable.

.random
May 7, 2007

I hate to say you should have thought about this before purchasing tens of thousands of dollars worth of space ships, but I want to remind you that you are supporting a project and not a final result. So please keep in mind how your contributions are advancing gaming for the whole world even if you can’t immediately enjoy the fruits of that labor due to living in a shack or whatever.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

.random posted:

I hate to say you should have thought about this before purchasing tens of thousands of dollars worth of space ships, but I want to remind you that you are supporting a project and not a final result. So please keep in mind how your contributions are advancing gaming for the whole world even if you can’t immediately enjoy the fruits of that labor due to living in a shack or whatever.

I don't play Star Citizen, the high speed internet coverage in the US is just shittier than you seem to think it is.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-19/where-the-u-s-underestimates-the-digital-divide

Article's a year old, but still relevant.

.random
May 7, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

I don't play Star Citizen, the high speed internet coverage in the US is just shittier than you seem to think it is.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-19/where-the-u-s-underestimates-the-digital-divide

Article's a year old, but still relevant.

Sorry, this was what I thought was a very obvious troll and now I feel bad. I am not judging your internet and I know internet in the US is sadly garbage :smith:

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
People routinely spend hundreds and thousands of dollars on jpegs for this game but you can't expect them to be rich enough to buy a computer that can run games

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

cmdrk posted:

so from that, I think it's fair to say that Star Citizen uses 20x more bandwidth than Apex Legends, and 120x more bandwidth than Fortnite.

I believe the outbound data transfer price on AWS (i.e., AWS to the public internet) is something like $0.10/GB?

That number seems too ridiculously large even for crobear, so take that with a huge grain of salt. Still..

You see Star engine is the most powerful engine ever built, it only downside is that it's only 6% efficient and runs by burning a mix of crushed dreams and $100 dollar notes.

I think an entry level base subscription of $600 dollars a month is ok, so long as there are higher level subscription packages for the more sophisticated backers who don't have as much time.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Beexoffel posted:

I hope he keeps doing what he does. There's a message in his works. I don't know exactly what, but it speaks.

It's easily the most creativity in the whole Star Citizen space - not that that's saying much.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

DigitalPenny posted:

You see Star engine is the most powerful engine ever built, it only downside is that it's only 6% efficient and runs by burning a mix of crushed dreams and $100 dollar notes that have coke mineral residue on them.

I think an entry level base subscription of $600 dollars a month is ok, so long as there are higher level subscription packages for the more sophisticated backers who don't have as much time.

ftfy

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Midnight Voyager posted:

I live in the US and it is impossible for me to get fiber where I am. I'm on DSL. I would have to pay literally thousands to get cable.

DSL is plenty fast for online games. At least mine is, maybe because the main receiving station or whatever you call it is only about 20 yards from my front door. Apparently it's fiber but I use DSL to connect to it so it's limited to DSL speeds. With any other game that would be fine though, I've played countless online games and never experienced a hint of lag in any of them.

As usual, sounds like a star citizen problem not an internet problem. What else can you call it if your connection is sufficient for EVERYTHING except this one game

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

.random posted:

Sorry, this was what I thought was a very obvious troll and now I feel bad. I am not judging your internet and I know internet in the US is sadly garbage :smith:

LOL Tone on the internet is hard.

Play posted:

DSL is plenty fast for online games. At least mine is, maybe because the main receiving station or whatever you call it is only about 20 yards from my front door. Apparently it's fiber but I use DSL to connect to it so it's limited to DSL speeds. With any other game that would be fine though, I've played countless online games and never experienced a hint of lag in any of them.

As usual, sounds like a star citizen problem not an internet problem. What else can you call it if your connection is sufficient for EVERYTHING except this one game

Mine sure as hell isn't because there's no competition so they just let the lines rot through. That's more of an AT&T problem though.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Don't sleep on getting that IDRIS!

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Got a fairly good PC rig and if a game came out that gave me 20fps I would be requesting a refund in under ten minutes.
I mean, I have a 144hz monitor and that's not even that good by the latest standards. Christ, even a CRT did 50hz.

Star Citizen hierarchy of niche-ness... each one of these layers reduces the potential player base. But of course it will be a global smash hit game:

1) Space game
2) Survival game
3) Permadeath
4) Real money transactions / pay to win
5) Subscription
6) Simulation
7) Sandbox
8) Lag is normal
9) Needs a nuclear powered PC for 20fps
10) High cost of entry
11) Cult like playerbase
12) Unavoidable PVP
13) Death by constipation

Gravity_Storm fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 5, 2021

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

14) Chris Robert

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Star Citizen.

Jaxic
Aug 26, 2020

This game was ousted as a joke by now right?

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Jaxic posted:

Depends who you ask. They've raised almost $400 m from crazy fan boys and casual players who got conned via false advertising.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Jaxic posted:

The real joke is on us.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

cmdrk posted:

I applaud that the person doing analysis seemed pretty objective about it. I was wondering what similar games might require.

From https://www.pcgamer.com/apex-legends-tick-rate/ I see for, say, Apex Legends:

I believe this is underselling the cost even. Obviously just a tad more people play Apex than SC, but Apex spends more than $30k/month on AWS just for marketplace transactions and related things.
Given the inefficiency of data usage that we're seeing here for game servers, I would extend that to any other services (friends list, market purchases, etc.) and theorize that they would be spending a poo poo-ton on every server per month IF those servers actually had anyone in them and stayed running for more than a week.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

skeletors_condom posted:

So someone on the SC :reddit: made a basic analysis of SC's networking performance during the Xenofail event.

Note the 22 mbit client bandwidth requirement and 160 ms built-in delay.

Yo I completely missed that holy poo poo :psyduck: Those are some atrocious stats, for any game. 2 second peek advantage and 5fps server tickrate? That's garbage, even for an MMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

It may be garbage, but you can play garbage man in the verse.