Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Ganyu is worse than Keqing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

worse than all that, she's boring

the price of power 😔

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

finally seeing that old data where she was a catalyst user has broken me, because i feel like we could've had something more interesting

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I don't have any issues with her design except her Q icicles should hit 2 units max like swirl (strange that they just forgot to add that limitation). She does something unique so I'm happy to own her and all I just can't take hearing about how ganyu is so much better than everyone when other 5*s are better at certain things, like the current 12-3 in general.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Boat Stuck posted:

Quick, someone train a neural net where you tell it what characters and constellations you have, and it spits out 2 optimal team compositions at you, plus a "try to get these characters next" list

Just getting back into the game this week and I want this so bad

Check me off for logging back in after like 8 months to see a crescent pike xiangling

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I still see high speed melt ganyu's doing like 9 second clears on floors in recent abyss. Her single target damage in melt is still extremely high at C6 and her aoe is straight up bananas.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you know who else has high single target damage in melt?

amber

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Whale speedruns have almost no relationship to how the game is played by non-whales. Even then Raiden and Ayaka are so much more ubiquitous that you wouldnt even single ganyu out unless you knew the legends behind her.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH6DuX6bxgc

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

for people with dolphin+ accounts that own a lot of characters ganyu has already taken up a role as ER stacked support for ayaka.

i was thinking recently that zhongli and ganyu at some point were probably intended to be played more like xiangling and beidou, though zhongli had some insane usability issues. the playerbase took a really long time to get on to that train of thought.

im really interested to see shenhe's kit since iirc the leakers said she was originally supposed to come out around when eula did but they ran into a bunch of issues and eula was good to go for release so she got released to fill time. the inazuma characters all seem like they were designed with existing supports in mind, so i wonder if she would be really good with qiqi or if she would work really well with a support oriented ganyu like ayaka does.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Zhong Li is designed to synergize with Ganyu, Hu Tao, AND Xiao, they made the entire 5* liyue roster lean on him.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

oh yeah for sure, i was thinking specifically about how his energy regen was kinda wonky and how easily you'd get punted out of his hold skill. if you had a second geo character that was leading him (like albedo) you'd have enough energy + if you crystalized a shield on that character then zhongli can finish his hold skill without getting stunned. the buffs pushed him into being more viable as a one-off.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

No Wave posted:

My issue with tier lists is people obligatorily put ganyu high because venti+ganyu is legitimately overpowered when the content supports it. But then they think she's better than other recent 5* rate ups outside of that interaction when she's not. I wish she'd go on rate up again so the non-owners can learn how ordinary she is in abysses like the current one.

I mean, if you're going to put Ayaka/Yoimiya/Raiden/Kokomi above Ganyu, then you got me there. There hasn't been an abyss since she was released that I don't wish I had Ganyu. The "You Can't Use Skills" rotation, the "You Can't Use Skills or Bursts" Eula rotation, the weirdly cool Kazuha rotation, the energy loving rotation, or the current "Please someone love Kokomi" rotation. I've never once considered my lack of having a ranged Xiao with no life loss that requires zero energy/cooldowns and also has a murderous burst as a positive. While I don't own Yoimiya I never thought how lucky I was to not have Ganyu and instead have Ayaka/Raiden/Kokomi.

I guess what I'm saying is please send your suggestion to Mihoyo so we finally get her on a banner again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

No Wave posted:

Zhong Li is designed to synergize with Ganyu, Hu Tao, AND Xiao, they made the entire 5* liyue roster lean on him.
a lot of the inazuma characters go well with raiden also. venti doesnt seem especially monstadt synergistic tho

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

No Wave posted:

My issue with tier lists is people obligatorily put ganyu high because venti+ganyu is legitimately overpowered when the content supports it. But then they think she's better than other recent 5* rate ups outside of that interaction when she's not. I wish she'd go on rate up again so the non-owners can learn how ordinary she is in abysses like the current one.

yeah, ganyu is pretty ordinary when the content doesn't play to her favor

too bad there is no such thing as content that doesn't play to ganyu's favor, what are we going to see, cryo immune abyss? That'd do it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

She's not good against the array or the double ruin guards. This is literally the abyss where there are a lot of other characters you'd prefer to run. Yoimiya is better against the array than ganyu by a good margin, etc.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 4, 2021

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

you can see the speedrun stats from the previous abyss on the stats website still, and its pretty dominated by raiden (even at the lower end, where people are running c0s) while the other side is hutao/eula/whatever teams until you get into whale territory where people run ayaka with ganyu as a support. all-in ganyu freeze when you're up against a boss isn't a great strategy, and melt ganyu isn't really something anyone wants to run (messes up too many other teams that perform much better against bosses.)

e. depending on how good thoma is it might let you free up bennett/zhongli from a melt team and run vv with ganyu without sacrificing the shield, which could make it way better

Radical fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 4, 2021

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I ran melt Ganyu (C0) just fine in the abyss. True that it does take Xiangling and Bennett away from your other team that may use them. I ran Raiden (C1), Sara, XQ, Sucrose as my 2nd chamber team. My Sara is C6 tho and helps a ton.

Character tier lists don't mean much. Team comp tier lists are what really matter. And that only really matters in abyss. True, Ganyu isn't the 2nd coming of christ or anything but she really is very very good. Ganyu + Venti deletes content it works on. For everything else, melt Ganyu can put out some nutty damage. Even at C0. She's great support as well. Her burst is amazing, lasts forever, and costs only 60 energy.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

No Wave posted:

She's not good against the array or the double ruin guards. This is literally the abyss where there are a lot of other characters you'd prefer to run. Yoimiya is better against the array than ganyu by a good margin, etc.

just because people don't run melt ganyu doesn't make it a weaker team

now if you want to argue that ganyu is weaker because mobile/console players are going to have a hard time pulling off melt ganyu then sure

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's one of a dozen strong bennett/xiangling teams and it's not even the strongest assuming c0. I'm not saying ganyu's not a good character, I'm saying that if you own Ayaka and are upset because ganyu would make life so much easier by comparison you are probably overestimating her and not recognizing what you already have.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 4, 2021

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

As a Ganyu non-haver, I'm totally okay with that, because even if you give an archer a screen-clearing rocket launcher that one-shots entire abyss floors, at the end of the day 99% of my play time is farting around in the open world, and 100% of it is playing with a controller, and I will never use an archer for anything other than puzzle solving under those circumstances.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

just because people don't run melt ganyu doesn't make it a weaker team

now if you want to argue that ganyu is weaker because mobile/console players are going to have a hard time pulling off melt ganyu then sure

Melt ganyu is some extreme jank than sacrifice every advantage she has except her ratios to get some big consecutive numbers. You take one of the most vulnerable characters in the game whose main attack mode has massive charge delay, is prone to interruption and has serious camera issues vs big targets, and you make her a melee character on top of that. You end up even sacrificing her AOE since you don't want her ult to screw up reactions.

The numbers are quite big I'll admit, seeing 100k+ damage on a "regular" hit was a sight to behold.

AParadox fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 4, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Raiden is like ridiculously stronger than Ganyu, in my opinion as someone who has both. Like, maybe if I optimized my Ganyu team better somehow, but using a basic freeze Ganyu in the current Abyss feels like crap compared to my Raiden team. And it's not like my Raiden team is especially optimized either, I'm even using Keqing there! My Ganyu even has better artifacts than Raiden. Keqing also feels stronger than Ganyu, for brief moments.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 4, 2021

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

After seeing everyone talking about Xiangling I finished catching her up last night since I hadn’t used her since last November. She’s good but I definitely don’t know what I’m doing. I do know that when she sets people on fire XingQiu’s skill hits for like 12k with vaporize so I’m going to do that until I learn how to actually play this game lol.

You need to go do an assload of fishing and get your hands on The Catch. That weapon, along with the new Emblem of Severed Fate artifact set, make Xiangling outperform most 5* characters.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
I have to say, the new morgana variation, ayaka/kokomi/venti/ganyu feels really nice to play and much less matchup dependent. Kokomi being able to cover both sustain and aoe hydro application make ganyu inclusion feel much less forced. Ganyu ult and cryo damage buff more than make up for missing out on mona's damage buff and the team feels much less all in, you actually have some off field damage now and missing an ayaka's ult feels much less punishing.

This is the most expensive and investment demanding team I have tho. 4 limited banner 5*, with ganyu and ayaka actually require heavy investment while the other two at least need lvl 80 to work properly.

AParadox fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 4, 2021

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
I landed on a c2 Raiden *for free* and decided to go full hog and spend my way to c6, which ended up being less than 300 dollars because I guess the god of gacha themselves was watching over me as a brand new player. I won her 50/50 5 of out 6 times (the only 50/50 loss was to Mona, yay) and she just obliterates. In the abyss, in the overworld, everywhere she goes, she deletes things and can battery whatever the gently caress ramshackle of a team you've thrown together. I literally roll with jean, diluc, and kaeya because ain't no party like a mondstadt party and nothing lives very long through an entire muso no hitotachi at full strength, not even azhdaha. I'm WL7 and everything outside of the final abyss stages are a joke to her. I guess her only weaknesses are shields anything that is electro immune.

edit: When I first got Raiden all the way up, as my second banner character ever (I joined like 3 days before Yoimiya ended), there was so much drama about her being weak and having no synergy, to the point where even my fiance who does not play was like "uh I'm hearing this character isn't that good?" and giving me big doe "I'm sorry for your loss" eyes but I have never experienced her as anything less than a monster who clowns on every bit of content this game has to offer. I'm really super happy with her and so far I've noticed that she fits in practically everywhere!

Note Block fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 4, 2021

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012

Note Block posted:

*for free*
$300

Quit now. Your gacha brain worms are already in control.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Pope Urbane II posted:

Quit now. Your gacha brain worms are already in control.

I work on gachas and get a stipend for research, thanks though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

even at c0 raiden is one of the better characters in the game people were just mad because she didnt have one extremely specific synergy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also being able to write gacha whaling off as a work expense seems like the best grift in the world tbh

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Maxwell Adams posted:

You need to go do an assload of fishing and get your hands on The Catch. That weapon, along with the new Emblem of Severed Fate artifact set, make Xiangling outperform most 5* characters.

I don’t even know how to go fishing yet lol. Good thing to keep a lookout for though.

Is there a big difference between the lv70 & lv 80 character ascensions? I know there is for weapons but I’m trying to find what to focus on outside of exp books and I don’t know if it should be ascension mats for my 70’s or getting everyone else I want to use to 70

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

even at c0 raiden is one of the better characters in the game people were just mad because she didnt have one extremely specific synergy

Yeah that's my take away from it after doing a lot of reading about the situation. I guess she synergized with Beidou's ult during the beta phase and then that got turned off or tweaked and people just latched onto this notion that this synergy should have remained or else she was *worthless* when that just does not seem to be the case at all. I have friends with c0 raiden who tear just as much rear end as mine, if not more because they run way more optimized comps and have played for a lot longer than I have and they have actually good artifacts whereas I'm sitting here suffering righ tnow with a DEF mainstat goblet just to make 4 piece emblem work on her.

I heard that reddit and the mihoyo forums were especially down on Kazuha and he turned out to be a sleeper hit. He's very cute so I'm looking forward to his eventual rerun, unless he ends up with the Albedo curse and gets nothing while Mr Worldwide continues to show up.

Endorph posted:

also being able to write gacha whaling off as a work expense seems like the best grift in the world tbh

I also got compensated for a 5000 dollar gundam PC which was nice.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

I don’t even know how to go fishing yet lol. Good thing to keep a lookout for though.

Is there a big difference between the lv70 & lv 80 character ascensions? I know there is for weapons but I’m trying to find what to focus on outside of exp books and I don’t know if it should be ascension mats for my 70’s or getting everyone else I want to use to 70
I recommend avoiding final ascensions until AR55 when bosses drop gold artifacts guaranteed. And even then only do them when you have extra gemstones from events/weekly bosses that you want to use up. I didnt take anyone past level 79 until AR55 and now have 22 characters at level 81 (without overfarming purple boss mats).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you unlock fishing at ar30 by talking to a dude outside monstadt

ascension stage 4 (starting at 60/level 70 cap) is the biggest powerspike since it gets you your character's second talent, which is often fairly strong. ascension stage 5 and 6 are mostly just a stat boost, which varies depending on how good the character's ascension substat is. as two random examples, klee gets pyro dmg bonus from ascension which is extremely good for her. diona gets cryo dmg bonus which is pretty whatever because you arent using diona for damage.

regardless its not really worth leveling a character beyond the minimum per ascension stage, until you plan on actually ascending them. the stat increases are very minimal. the only exception is characters who scale off hp as that gets a more substantial increase from leveling.

so with all this in mind, as random examples: diona for instance is fine staying at level 60, ascension stage 4, cause she doesnt need the ascension stat boost and her levels wouldnt relaly matter. she has hp scaling on her shields and healing but she does enough of that even without pumping more into her. klee wants to be the highest ascension you can get her to for the pyro dmg boost but doesnt need to be leveled after that because a couple dozen points of attack isnt gonna do much for her. zhongli or hu tao probably want to be the highest level you can get them to because they actually scale off hp, especially if theyre using staff of homa.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
characters who rely on flat damage reactions like sucrose also benefit a lot from raw levels

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i think people expect units to get power creeped faster, but diluc and keqing were probably a special case (keqing feels like she especially got a really raw deal here.) so when new units come out 4-6 months later and don't seem laughably better than ganyu did compared to launch characters after a similar timeframe people don't take it well (because they're expecting new units in another 6 months to make all of these units totally useless.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

frankly diluc is like 'powercrept' but hes still a very good unit in a vacuum. hes kinda chained to having a good hydro unit with him but he can still pump out numbers, and claymores have a lot of busted rear end weapons

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So apparently there was a temporary event for dragonspine that kinda explained what that areas deal was that's just gone now? Am I misunderstanding that?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Radical posted:

i think people expect units to get power creeped faster, but diluc and keqing were probably a special case (keqing feels like she especially got a really raw deal here.) so when new units come out 4-6 months later and don't seem laughably better than ganyu did compared to launch characters after a similar timeframe people don't take it well (because they're expecting new units in another 6 months to make all of these units totally useless.)
Ganyu and especially hu tao broke people. One streamer who C6'd Klee and R5'd Lost Prayer and Vortex Vanquisher quit the game basically the day after hu tao released because all three of his $2000 "investments" got power crept in a single day (hu tao cons >>>> klee cons and homa >>>> lost prayer).

Imo the current power level for on-field rate ups is roughly where it should be so I'm always happy when a new unit doesnt break the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

So apparently there was a temporary event for dragonspine that kinda explained what that areas deal was that's just gone now? Am I misunderstanding that?
and worst of all, it gave a decent f2p sword

but yes its gone. it will probably be rerun at some point tho