Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I've made the evolution from being semi-retro-grouchy to making sure my next bike has Di2/AXS capability (unless I get that rene herse bike, then I guess i can use downshifters for that if I go with that option). Its amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I've had di2 for 5ish years now and it's put up with a ton of abuse and always just shifts perfectly, even covered in mud.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I'm aiming at getting electronic shifting on my next bike, but with how expensive bikes specced with it have become in the last couple of years that may be a while.

Heliosicle posted:

Doing the Tour de Dumoulin tomorrow morning, only the shortest route (80km) but it's gonna be my longest ride in 3 years.

Hoping the weather isn't too bad, seems like it'll be 18/19c but drizzly with some harder rain, which is hard to plan for.

Should be home in time to watch the 2nd half of Paris Roubaix :getin:

Got soaked through and really muddy but had a lot of fun. Climbing rules. Going to train up for the 180km route next year :v:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

osker posted:

Have any of you made the jump to SRAM eTap? I'm looking at the Rival eTap AXS since it goes for about the price of the an Ultegra group and it comes with a power meter. Is this electronic shifting thing a fad? Am I looking for problems since there are no actual problems with modern shifting cable systems?

My trek Emonda has Rival Etap and it is great.
I found 2 issues that may or may not be issues for you :
1. It is heavy
2. The brake levers are very far from the bar when in the drops, you can adjust that but then you can pinch your finger between the bar and the lever when braking on the hoods

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Heliosicle posted:

I'm aiming at getting electronic shifting on my next bike, but with how expensive bikes specced with it have become in the last couple of years that may be a while.

Got soaked through and really muddy but had a lot of fun. Climbing rules. Going to train up for the 180km route next year :v:

for whatever it's worth, motivationally speaking: you know what, if you do the big loop next year, i will too!

also, great effort! no small feat, that :)

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Oct 5, 2021

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lex Neville posted:

for whatever it's worth, motivationally speaking: you know what, if you do the big loop next year, i will too!

gently caress it, I'll come over and do the big loop next year too.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Lex Neville posted:

serious gaylord posted:

I'll try to hold you both to this

It's a cool event though, even met the man himself at the finish line (and scratched his/his familys dogs ears :3:)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Also in for the big loop

Heliosicle posted:

A fair amount of the time it can be cheaper to build the bike up yourself (or have someone else build it), it's just very difficult right now because most of the parts are going to OEM manufacturers

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Heliosicle posted:

I'll try to hold you both to this
:goon:

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Krogort posted:

My trek Emonda has Rival Etap and it is great.
I found 2 issues that may or may not be issues for you :
1. It is heavy
2. The brake levers are very far from the bar when in the drops, you can adjust that but then you can pinch your finger between the bar and the lever when braking on the hoods

Thanks for the insight folks.

Do you know if there is a difference in geometry when you step up to the Force/Red shifters? I think I would be ok with just using their distance trim feature and maybe modding the hood cover so I don’t have the biting gap.

Weight is like at the bottom of my list since I personally can and/or should lose several kg before I start paying bike companies for the privilege of shedding grams on my behalf.

Right now I have a 30lb tandem and an 11 year old steel 8speed Alfine hub commuter so a carbon frame and modern everything will feel positively nimble.

I’m also currently leaning towards an ican x-gravel frame since it has a wider wheelbase and mount points for front and rear racks so I can head out north of nyc and bike camp

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

:yeah:

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Has the used bike market started to cool down? I posted 3 fully functional bikes (A road bike, a track bike and a gravel bike) at blowout prices (just trying to make some space) on San Diego craigslist last week and haven't gotten even one bite. Granted, they're all for 6'0"+ riders but I should get something, right? Is there a better online place to sell?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Everything up here has moved to Facebook buy/sell groups.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Same here. CL bikes here is basically the same 3 guys posting bike they’re trying to flip for ridiculous prices. One guy must have a hundred listings and it’s the same bikes over and over.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you don’t want to use Facebook you can try the OfferUp app.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Also in for the big loop

You pull I'm saving my legs for the finish.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

osker posted:

Thanks for the insight folks.

Do you know if there is a difference in geometry when you step up to the Force/Red shifters? I think I would be ok with just using their distance trim feature and maybe modding the hood cover so I don’t have the biting gap.

Weight is like at the bottom of my list since I personally can and/or should lose several kg before I start paying bike companies for the privilege of shedding grams on my behalf.

Right now I have a 30lb tandem and an 11 year old steel 8speed Alfine hub commuter so a carbon frame and modern everything will feel positively nimble.

I’m also currently leaning towards an ican x-gravel frame since it has a wider wheelbase and mount points for front and rear racks so I can head out north of nyc and bike camp

Some reviewers seems to prefer the Rival shifters to the Force ones, so it might be very people dependant.
I like to have my levers relatively close and easy to reach so this doesn’t help.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

serious gaylord posted:

Planning permitting, I'm interested too. I do 40-60k rides there whenever I visit my parents.

Limburgs Mooiste or Amstel Gold would be cool too.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
to add one more, a friend took part in the Zuiderzee Klassieker recently, which I plan on doing next year as well

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Lex Neville posted:

to add one more, a friend took part in the Zuiderzee Klassieker recently, which I plan on doing next year as well

how is flevoland for biking? i'd expect wind to play a big part there

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
It does. I've not ridden that particular loop myself yet, but have done a loop from Amsterdam around the Markermeer twice and honestly the Flevoland part is the dullest of the route. Though that's the northern part of Flevoland, idk what the southern part is like, which is where the Zuiderzee Klassieker takes place. Also, I'd expect the part of the route to the south of the Veluwemeer to be the most fun (which features most prominently in the 180 km variant).

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Dictator. posted:

Planning permitting, I'm interested too. I do 40-60k rides there whenever I visit my parents.

Limburgs Mooiste or Amstel Gold would be cool too.

If we did Amstel Gold do we have to buy the winner their weight in beer?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Injury update: did my first 100k ride since! (Like 4kph down on what I'd have expected to do it at before, but hey)

Did a nice loop through the minor roads south east of Cambridgeshire, passing north east of Haverhill where the Women's Tour starts from in a few days.

I really love(d?) riding on the little back roads around there/north Essex, lots of interesting corners and the rolling terrain keeps it interesting even if the elevation gain is not huge and the gradients only got over 5% on a couple of occasions.

All the roads basically look like this, although there is occasionally a church or a house or something:

I even got some sunshine,

Unfortunately just after this what looked like a slightly flooded road (heavy rainfall yesterday) turned out to be a very flooded road - I'm not sure it's a great idea to have your BB completely submerged, but no point in stopping once you're in it. Benefits of BSA, it'll be trivial to replace if it starts getting a bit sticky.

Hopefully the weather will continue good and I can continue doing some rides, assuming I don't wake up super stiff or anything, and start getting back to my original mileage.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Nice nice nice nice.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
fenders back on my bike and it didn't feel tooooooooo much slower than without. a nice day for a quick 1hr ride.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Can y'all take a look at this and let me know if you think it's a fair price - it's a bike for a friend who is new into cycling and wants to take the next step into getting a road bike and this caught his eye.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUwCw84skpy/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I think it's an ok price, given the current market.
The ultegra 6800 is good. The frameset is not bad, but will limit how much rubber you can put on there. Those look like 25 or maybe 28mm tires, and about the max you could go. So comfort will be fairly limited compared to something that could run 32s. If your area is mostly smooth roads, should be ok.
The frameset will limit your maintenance/upgrades because of the 1" fork, and to a much lesser extent, the wheels. I'm not sure how they're running the presumably 1 1/8" stem -- if it's with a shim, I'd want to know what kind. One like this might be bad for a carbon steerer.

The wheels are some generics that have decent hubs, but are sort of dragging down my perceived value of the bike.

If it's local, definitely test ride and see.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Yeah, ninetiesish road frames won't give you much if any clearance for fatter tires, but I rode 23s for almost 20 years and it was fine, I guess I didn't know any better.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Sab0921 posted:

Can y'all take a look at this and let me know if you think it's a fair price - it's a bike for a friend who is new into cycling and wants to take the next step into getting a road bike and this caught his eye.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUwCw84skpy/

Absolutely do not buy a bike with 1" threadless. That's a 20 year old carbon fork with a bodged on stem.

If he wants a super roadie bike, an Allez Sprint Disc with 105 is the same price and a better bike both for comfort and speed.

bicievino fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 8, 2021

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

bicievino posted:

Absolutely do not buy a bike with 1" threadless. That's a 20 year old carbon fork with a bodged on stem.

If he wants a super roadie bike, an Allez Sprint Disc with 105 is the same price and a better bike both for comfort and speed.

Perfect - thank you for this feedback.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Yeah that bike screams 'I've got this old ti frame I can't do anything with, what can I dig out of the parts bin to package and sell for the titanium premium?' and there is absolutely no way it's a $2k bike for anyone but a particular kind of vintage nerd (if that).

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Anyone who takes glamour shots of a used bike and tries to sell it on Instagram is a bit sus anyway.

Craigslist, FB Marketplace or eBay. You want a seller with one blurry photo, so you get a good price.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

wooger posted:

Anyone who takes glamour shots of a used bike and tries to sell it on Instagram is a bit sus anyway.

Maybe check out the rest of their posts.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

wooger posted:

Craigslist, FB Marketplace or eBay. You want a seller with one blurry photo, so you get a good price.

Every day I’m further convinced you have no idea what you’re talking about.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The second line should really be tipping you off that it is a joke, you nerds

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

That's definitely effective for CL and FB, if not necessarily ethical.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
That's a dope old bike, throw a steel fork on there and you're golden.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Any recommendations for bibs with a seamless/glued chamois? I feel like I remember Assos making one a while back but I can't seem to find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
I finally got a HRM and have worn it on my last two rides and I'm a little concerned about my heart rate - 166 avg, 186 max. This seems really high, right?? Am I going to kill myself? Resting rate is 51bpm, and I'm 41 years old.