Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Altared State posted:

I refunded Disco Elysium because the story and gameplay was not really interesting

*screeching*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FoolyCharged posted:

I've never played the game, does it actually have disco in it or is this a case of despicable false advertising?

It does have hardcore anodic music galore

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Disco Elysium is pretty good actually but I think it just might be the most overrated game of all time at this point

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

FoolyCharged posted:

I've never played the game, does it actually have disco in it or is this a case of despicable false advertising?

It's an alternate universe where Disco is a music genre and lifestyle from 30 years ago. Middle aged people use "disco" as an adjective meaning cool, which in the game's present is boomer talk.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Altared State posted:

I refunded Disco Elysium because the story and gameplay was not really interesting

Good call, I just kept playing and it turns out it just is a tedious game to me, I guess I keep playing it because I really don‘t have any other games I want to play. I keep quitting after 30 mins of playing because it‘s just boring. The voice acting is great but I‘d rather hear an audio book or something. The inner monologue type stuff is funny, but only the first three or four times.
I never use skill points because you just can retry the checks after a quick load. At least the high encyclopedia character seems to have been a good choice.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Neco posted:

I never use skill points because you just can retry the checks after a quick load.

If you quick load, you cheated not only the games, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow dice roll. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
nah it‘s fine

lol what is it with goons and this game

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Excelzior posted:

If you quick load, you cheated not only the games, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow dice roll. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.

just use cumshitter's mod and autosucceed every roll so you don't miss any content

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It's a meme, one of the big game companies said that in reference to something stupid.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Altared State posted:

Narrative games should get more than the standard 2 hour refund window.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.

Archer666 posted:

ATOM's a janky, slav mess that stays in the so-dumb-its-funny-again territory. Wonder how the sequel is?

Way too many “go here and talk to a guy and then come back” quests, i uninstalled it.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
DE and RDR2 are the only two videogames that made me legitimately care about the story and characters as a full grown adult

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Excelzior posted:

:hmmyes:

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I'm not a massive fan of the Ys franchise, I tend to play like maybe every third or fourth game or spin off that released in the series, but I really enjoyed playing through Monstrum Nox.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

DE didn't really grab me, either. I played about 5 hours. Couldn't get past the goon near the north of the map, so I explored other directions doing a few quests. Eventually found myself in some dungeon behind the book shop at which point I was truly bored and I just sort of left it there without consciously quitting the game.

It's nice that the game has good politics or whatever, but it's an entertainment product and it's a dry and slow one. Some people never like that, and then there's people like me where I like it sometimes. I didn't like it that time.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

FoolyCharged posted:

Does this answer your question?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

abigserve posted:

DE and RDR2 are the only two videogames that made me legitimately care about the story and characters as a full grown adult

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

roomtone posted:

DE didn't really grab me, either. I played about 5 hours. Couldn't get past the goon near the north of the map, so I explored other directions doing a few quests. Eventually found myself in some dungeon behind the book shop at which point I was truly bored and I just sort of left it there without consciously quitting the game.

It's nice that the game has good politics or whatever, but it's an entertainment product and it's a dry and slow one. Some people never like that, and then there's people like me where I like it sometimes. I didn't like it that time.

Yeah, I quit shortly after this because I was bored and just didn’t care about any of it.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
DE appealed to the same part of me that likes slowcore as a genre and boring, comfortable, bleak films like The Hours. My favorite part of RPGs since I was a kid was walking around towns. FF13 was one of the worst things I have ever played. Just combat and nothing. DE was like just the towns and detectiving and playing dress up and the writing was so good that I was curious about places you don't see in it. I think I've said this before.

So I'll add this; every time I've played something FF7 related that isn't FF7 or even replaying FF7 again it's like hitting a crack pipe that you packed with cat litter. That rush is gone and any attempt to feel it again just leaves me feeling depressed and empty.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

abigserve posted:

yeah, these two and also Pathologic 2 but I think that's it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Disco Elysium is an incredible game and I don't think we are going to get anything quite like it for a long time. Maybe when that company makes its next game. Its probably the funniest game ever as well.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I really want the dude's novel to get translated and published here.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Caesar Saladin posted:

Disco Elysium is an incredible game and I don't think we are going to get anything quite like it for a long time. Maybe when that company makes its next game. Its probably the funniest game ever as well.

came totally out of fuckin nowhere too

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

flavor.flv posted:

Does this answer your question?

Disco Elysium is like my anti-game because gently caress story in video games and gently caress that one screenshot with the awful writing but this is awesome

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

kntfkr posted:

DE appealed to the same part of me that likes slowcore as a genre and boring, comfortable, bleak films like The Hours. My favorite part of RPGs since I was a kid was walking around towns. FF13 was one of the worst things I have ever played. Just combat and nothing. DE was like just the towns and detectiving and playing dress up and the writing was so good that I was curious about places you don't see in it. I think I've said this before.

Meanwhile, the point where you get to a big town full of NPCs is often the point where I lose interest in an RPG. It's basically saying "Hey you know all those game mechanics that you've been learning, experimenting with, and starting to enjoy? Well those are getting shelved for a long while so you can listen to a bunch of people's problems."

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Triarii posted:

Meanwhile, the point where you get to a big town full of NPCs is often the point where I lose interest in an RPG. It's basically saying "Hey you know all those game mechanics that you've been learning, experimenting with, and starting to enjoy? Well those are getting shelved for a long while so you can listen to a bunch of people's problems."

I'm kinda the opposite. I usually like hanging out in the town. It's when I'm in a dungeon or whatever that's just too long and the fights are long enough to be annoying but not really be challenging then I usually move on. I usually like my games kinda low key. I think because I get my competitive kicks from one of my jobs (coaching sports). The only online game I really play with randoms is chess.

I'm old and boring as hell, yeah.

Know what was a good game I never hear about? Tomba on the PS1. It's like 200 dollars on ebay, but I remember it being a really great game and I feel like it would hold up really well

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

I don't really like "GAME IS BAD" posts but one game that just did not click with me at all was Divinity Original Sin 2. I don't know why because it has all the parts of a game that I usually like (super customizable classes that encourage multi-classing, decently fleshed out characters, using the environment in combat, really tactical and making the party work together) but I found it really tedious. I guess I don't like it when every fight is super challenging and I lose a lot and waste time. Also the environment was nothing special and I like to get lost in the setting when I play games.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Tomba was good. So was Jackie Chan Stunt Master, Abe's Oddysey, Brave Fencer Musashi. The graphics weren't much and maybe it is just pining for youth but PS1 era was my favorite re: playing video games.

I have a few games like Suikoden 2 that are worth hundreds and consider selling them sometimes but I've sold old games in the past and always regret it, not least of why is that the market prices are always going up.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Never ever sell a game. You never know when you'll get the itch to replay it

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

kntfkr posted:

Tomba was good. So was Jackie Chan Stunt Master, Abe's Oddysey, Brave Fencer Musashi. The graphics weren't much and maybe it is just pining for youth but PS1 era was my favorite re: playing video games.

I have a few games like Suikoden 2 that are worth hundreds and consider selling them sometimes but I've sold old games in the past and always regret it, not least of why is that the market prices are always going up.

I loved Brave Fencer Musashi, but I was a stupid kid and could never get past one of the steam tower sections.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I don't really like "GAME IS BAD" posts but one game that just did not click with me at all was Divinity Original Sin 2. I don't know why because it has all the parts of a game that I usually like (super customizable classes that encourage multi-classing, decently fleshed out characters, using the environment in combat, really tactical and making the party work together) but I found it really tedious. I guess I don't like it when every fight is super challenging and I lose a lot and waste time. Also the environment was nothing special and I like to get lost in the setting when I play games.

yeah i've bounced off it a bunch of times, i believe everyone who says it's amazing though.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Post your gaming room.

Kyro
Aug 1, 2021

I sang Bye Bye Bye
and all I got was this
STUPID AVATAR

sebmojo posted:

yeah i've bounced off it a bunch of times, i believe everyone who says it's amazing though.

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

You need to play with friends, it’s like a game of D&D only I’m not the forever DM. Really good turn based strat game in that scenario.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

My brother described the combat as more like a puzzle than a normal strategy rpg, where there is usually a somewhat specific tactic or approach intended for each fight. I'm not gonna play it though because his final playtime was 150 hours.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gaius Marius posted:

i don't know about ever selling a game, but boy i tell you what, i wish pre teen me had never ever encountered GameStops trade-ins. a long string of just absolutely terrible decisions

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I traded thousand arms back to gamestop or maybe it was still ebx back then but now the cheapest I'm seeing is $165. That one hurt.

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

abigserve posted:

Kratos!?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Yeah, it's really rough that you can't change the difficulty setting midgame. I wanna say it had five difficulty settings, but I bet it was four. I think it warns you twice about the difficulty before you start normal mode, and it warns you four times before it lets you start hard mode. There's no way to know if you chose the right one for you until you've put at least five hours in. It is a challenging game. I started up a hardmode file not long ago, and because I'd spent a short six months away from it, I was was helpless. I gave up.

The difference in the difficulty from typical games isn't just the difficulty, exactly. It's that the baddies really are too tough for your scrappy traveler--and you have to come up with something. Usually starts with manipulating player/enemy positioning, then finding something that's unfair in your favor. In most games that would be called cheesing, because those games aren't balanced for big-braining the battlefield. There are many good solutions to each puzzle, and it's so satisfying when you come up with one that deletes those bastards' armor. That's the joy of Divinity.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I read books like 5 pages a week. Some games I started and finished with a gap of a few years in between. The only playthrough (so far. I'm def replaying it in a few years) of Disco Elysium I did in bits over the course of maybe two months.

It's fine to stop playing a game and returning to it later. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I didn't much like it either for the reasons you describe, every combat encounter felt long winded and tedious - I really enjoyed the narrative, and just the look of the game but then it'd be interrupted by some long drawn out battle where it felt I was spending 20 minutes of my life watching a fiery slug crawl across the ground.