Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I found some surprising thematic commonalities between Deltarune and Disco Elysium, including how they play with video game narrative conventions and the agency of the player character vs the player, but also that they both feature dudes who are spectacularly The Most Divorced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

space uncle posted:

Working on my Halloween costume…

You better get those 'chops grown out, sonny.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Samovar posted:

You better get those 'chops grown out, sonny.

Unless you go cleanshaven, Expressionless Harry.

The saddest, sorriest cop.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
I'm on my second playthrough of this game and it's so drat good. There's so much depth to the world and playing a different Harry really does let you see the world from a different, high half-light viewpoint.

I've really enjoyed going through this thread and seeing all the stuff I've missed in my first run despite being extremely thorough. Not savescumming the rolls means you can miss some significant things. But big shout-out to all the people posting about some of the theories behind Dolores Dei being a DM, Revachol dying in 28 years and choosing Harry to protect it, and the vision quests . I had missed all of those things and they're good poo poo.

Killed a Girl in 96 fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 5, 2021

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

*struggling in my straitjacket* MY INSANE PET THEORY IS CORRECT, DOLORES DEI WAS AN AGENT OF THE UNIVERSE SENT TO EUTHANIZE HUMANITY BEFORE THE PALE EATS ALL OF REALITY AND THE PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Just finished my first playthrough. I went with 1/5/4/2 and Inland Empire as my signature skill, basically existing on hunches and trusting that which feels true over that which I can objectively measure. I also went heavily into Shivers and Esprit de Corps so I was constantly getting fragmentary insights into the world that never quite fit together. However it did mean that the ending encountering and talking to the phasmid felt like it just perfectly meshed with who my Harry was. I looked up some stuff afterwards and it turns out I missed tons of things by accidentally blundering into the end game though - I never met the leather jacket wearing guys because Kim took the body away right at the start of day 4, and despite getting the prompt to literally sniff out communists I never got round to finding the students. I also never figured out how to view your copotype stats using the ledger.

I'm already itching to do another run though - I guess I'll just invert my stats and see what an intellectual cop looks like.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

World War Mammories posted:

*struggling in my straitjacket* MY INSANE PET THEORY IS CORRECT, DOLORES DEI WAS AN AGENT OF THE UNIVERSE SENT TO EUTHANIZE HUMANITY BEFORE THE PALE EATS ALL OF REALITY AND THE PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW
Given that DE writers explicitly referenced the Strugatsky brothers, she's def a progressor.

https://noon-universe.fandom.com/wiki/Progressors

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
i sincerely hope we never ever find out who or what exactly Dolores Dei is (which would be quite appropriate for a Strugatsky brothers-inspired story btw, they were quite big on the whole "refrain from explicitly explaining poo poo whenever possible and unless it's absolutely necessary" thing (which is a principle quite a few stories could benefit from tbh))

however, i do wish we could learn a bit more about her, she's one of the most interesting elements of DE's world, and that's saying something

nurmie fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 5, 2021

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm giving this game another try after randomly stopping over a year ago. Is there different dialogue for Kim if you talk to him while still in your undies? He identifies you as a cop by pointing to your jacket.

e: Also, did they remove the ability to name your save file?

e2: Never mind, you just type it out.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 5, 2021

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

space uncle posted:

Awesome.

If anyone asks, tell them you are Raphael Ambrosious Costeau.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 5, 2021

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

space uncle posted:

Nice. I actually really like the jacket, where'd you find it?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I'm giving this game another try after randomly stopping over a year ago. Is there different dialogue for Kim if you talk to him while still in your undies? He identifies you as a cop by pointing to your jacket.

e: Also, did they remove the ability to name your save file?

e2: Never mind, you just type it out.

He'll comment on if you aren't wearing (or haven't picked up) your Jacket (just saying it's probably in your room.)

IIRC Kim takes an almost meta moment to go "Haha. Yes you are not wearing pants. Very clever. No-one is going to acknowledge this. Please put some on though." when you leave the Whirling pant-less.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
I thought it was one of your skills piping up saying if even Kim is not going to mention you walking around pantsless noone else will

e: yeah lol

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Maybe! It's been a while and my memory is weak.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I think for this run I want to blindly smash my way through all of the skill checks without save scumming - passing or failing every one - then apologize afterwards as the Sorry Cop just to see what happens. It's not my fault I'm a complete wreck and my life is a shambles! It just turns out that way all the time due to forces out of my control!

E: But seriously, this game hits hard sometimes and reminds me of myself and how my life was when I was still a miserable alcoholic mess.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 5, 2021

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
This is a video of highlights of someone else's playthrough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tLp8KJWpuQ

The two dudes playing have pretty entertaining reactions and are super into it, so it's a pretty fun way to vicariously relive playing.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Usually not one for Reaction Guys but these two are pretty good. Their reaction to failing a check and having to point out to the Gardener that she's black is :allears:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Xander77 posted:

Given that DE writers explicitly referenced the Strugatsky brothers, she's def a progressor.

https://noon-universe.fandom.com/wiki/Progressors

or a regressor :tinfoil: (neat, thanks!)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
The last time I played this game was before the Final Cut update. I have to say, I'm really enjoying all of the additional voice lines - it makes playing the game all that more immersive. :)

e: People say they were disappointed in the new Cuno voice, but I think it's fine. It does lack that sharp annoying factor, though.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 6, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
All the VAs do a good job imo but putting aside Kim I think my favorite is Idiot Doom Spiral

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

christmas boots posted:

All the VAs do a good job imo but putting aside Kim I think my favorite is Idiot Doom Spiral

The poor guy, a helpless pawn in the cruel hands of fate

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Hey gently caress you tequila

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

christmas boots posted:

his constant sarcasm-but-sincere delivery is just so on point.

hard to top the crew in the tent though. they're all such a lovely caricature of eurotrash raver burnouts. i should change all my phone notification sounds to egghead callouts

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
So, I passed that early Conceptualization check where you try to make up a good name, but nothing seems to have come from it yet. I started forming a basis based on "liquor and orange flames" or something like that, but no concrete name yet. What gives?

Also, wow, I still managed to vomit even after getting my poo poo together and failing a 78% probability check. I like how even Kim was astonished that I failed even after getting my poo poo together. Plus, I whiffed on trying to hit Cuno and now I'm his errand boy I guess. I'm just a laughing-stock, it seems. :smith:

One other thing: I love how you can run around interrupting situations and introducing yourself with a plain "I am the law." It's a nice running gag. :haw:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 6, 2021

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

So, I passed that early Conceptualization check where you try to make up a good name, but nothing seems to have come from it yet. I started forming a basis based on "liquor and orange flames" or something like that, but no concrete name yet. What gives?

Also, wow, I still managed to vomit even after getting my poo poo together and failing a 78% probability check. I like how even Kim was astonished that I failed even after getting my poo poo together. Plus, I whiffed on trying to hit Cuno and now I'm his errand boy I guess. I'm just a laughing-stock, it seems. :smith:

One other thing: I love how you can run around interrupting situations and introducing yourself with a plain "I am the law." It's a nice running gag. :haw:

Sadly, you must fail the Conceptualization check to get a fun fake name. (Not like, a good or useful one. But a fun one!) .

Glad you are having fun. It's a great game. Don't be afraid to treat it like a game (reloading saves, juggling clothes for stats, etc) if that is where your heart leads you. Though also just accepting the rolls you get is great too.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Tylana posted:

Sadly, you must fail the Conceptualization check to get a fun fake name. (Not like, a good or useful one. But a fun one!) .

Glad you are having fun. It's a great game. Don't be afraid to treat it like a game (reloading saves, juggling clothes for stats, etc) if that is where your heart leads you. Though also just accepting the rolls you get is great too.

Nah, I told myself I'd accept any and all rolls and just let the situations play out. Even during the brief playthrough I had a long time ago, I never saw or knew you could end up as Cuno's errand boy which has led to some hilarious interactions with Kim and how ridiculous and sad it is for a middle-aged man to be doing this.

e: Also, it's a small thing, but even conversations like talking with the Frittte shopkeeper really embody that "Wow, that was certainly enlightening and not a waste of my time." feeling you get from similarly vapid people in real-life. It really questions your instincts as a traditional RPG player to click through all of the dialogue tree branches as your remaining daylight hours slowly whittle away and rent still needs to be paid.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 6, 2021

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Nah, I told myself I'd accept any and all rolls and just let the situations play out. Even during the brief playthrough I had a long time ago, I never saw or knew you could end up as Cuno's errand boy which has led to some hilarious interactions with Kim and how ridiculous and sad it is for a middle-aged man to be doing this.

I will warn to keep a couple of skill points in your pocket then. There's a couple of white checks that you don't have to pass, but if you don't pass you have to fail like 3 three times, which means unlocking them two times. Which might be done by doing sidestuff for more clues/leverage but if you've already done all of those AND RNG hates you...

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Tylana posted:

I will warn to keep a couple of skill points in your pocket then. There's a couple of white checks that you don't have to pass, but if you don't pass you have to fail like 3 three times, which means unlocking them two times. Which might be done by doing sidestuff for more clues/leverage but if you've already done all of those AND RNG hates you...

No worries, I just gave a kid a pack of smokes in front of a fellow police officer and enhanced my poo poo-togetherness with the Cunofied Nonvomitor. :haw:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Save the save scumming for a second playthrough to avoid repeating content, or genuine mistakes like not realising you can use healing items at any time. The game is much more interesting to play letting the chips fall as they may, and your failures can open new doors as your successes.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

fail early, fail often

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Talk with Call Me Manana once you've gotten into the container yard and back out again. A man like that knows a thing or two about naming yourself, and Inland Empire should give you a check to take it from there.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Plus, I whiffed on trying to hit Cuno and now I'm his errand boy I guess. I'm just a laughing-stock, it seems. :smith:

Please refer to my avatar re: your Cuno situation, pig.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah passing that Conceptualization check just means that you’re on a more in-depth quest for a name that truly defines you instead of just making GBS threads out the first thing that pops into your head.

You have your given name, your alias, but this is your True Name.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Again, just saying that some of the responses that leave Cuno et al completely baffled had me in absolute stitches.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Megazver posted:

The two dudes playing have pretty entertaining reactions and are super into it, so it's a pretty fun way to vicariously relive playing.

these guys' commentary is great, their reaction to when the game enters not loving around mode is brilliant

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Something else I feel compelled to comment on is how engaging and charismatic all of the various characters are in DE. Within the first hour of playing, I immediately feel invested in the different personalities I come across and genuinely care about their struggles - it's quite remarkable even by RPG standards.

e: Also how random conversation tree options go down really unexpected paths. I'm just randomly hugging this working-class woman with my eyes closed and then my Inland Empire starts rambling about a traumatic emotional flashback. That was weird.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Oct 7, 2021

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

dead gay comedy forums posted:

these guys' commentary is great, their reaction to when the game enters not loving around mode is brilliant
I liked their reaction upon reading "welcome to revachol" as I, a white 40+ male, did absolutely not get that context before getting learnt

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I have a bottle of Commodore Red in my hand, but I can't seem to drink it. It's not showing up in my hands on the overworld even after I equip it. What gives?

e: I can drink from the pilsner beer, but not the Commodore Red, just for reference.

e2: Okay, for some reason I can't use the CR if I have both cigs and the CR in my hands, but if I have it equipped alone I can.

e3: Also, good Lord does the RNG seem to hate me on this run. There's been several 80% checks I've failed so far. Yet, somehow I've managed to hit the 40% or lower checks as well.

...And yet failure is also drat hilarious. I've never failed the Drama check with the bookkeeper before. This is going places. :munch:

e4: Uhhhhh (minor spoiler?) I got stuck in a mental loop saying "Mr. Evrart is helping me find my gun" and then I loving had a heart attack. :stare:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 9, 2021

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Mr. Evrart is helping me find my gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Megazver posted:

I watched their entire playthrough because they were very entertaining but they're kind of smart idiots at times. Woolie's milquetoast liberalism is hilarious as he reacts violently to anything communist in the game and raves about tankies, moaning about not having a 'bottom-left' political option to go for, and doing stuff like falling completely for Evrart's act and then monologuing for half an hour about how they totally saw through it and are completely 100% sure what's going on

I genuinely love seeing different people's reactions to DE even when they're completely offbase because the game is such a great psychological and political test for the players. yesterday I saw a stream uploaded that seemed promising. the let's player is nonbinary and seemed switched-on and thoughtful. they also mentioned when starting that they'd been warned that one of the characters uses homophobic slurs although they're censored so, trigger warning for that. fine, good even, that's considerate. then when they reached cuno one of their mods suggested muting all game audio. they said 'good idea' and muted it completely then clicked through the conversation as fast as possible because Cuno Is Distasteful and they didn't want to engage with any of the dialogue or even read any of it. never closed a tab so fast in my life lol

John Charity Spring fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 9, 2021