Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Thanks for the hat suggestions, goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

nate fisher posted:

My only complaint about Osprey is they screwed up the last Exos redesign. They took my favorite pack and ruined it by downgrading the shoulder straps and the hip belt. I currently use Granite Gear and HMG packs, but Osprey can win me back with a new Exos.

I think a lot of people are upset about this, so maybe they'll switch it back. I have the new design and don't miss the extra pockets. I do wish the hip belt was more substantial.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Math You posted:

I have an Outdoor Research Sombriolet. It makes regular Tilley hats look downright fashionable but it's made with much cooler material, is proper ventilated and has an elongated brim on the back which ensures your neck will never get burned.

It fits really snugly without ever being uncomfortable, handles being sandwiched under my pack top without deforming, and for those who like water: floats.

It was my first sun hat. Had it 4 years now and it still looks brand new (and again, goofy as gently caress). One of the easiest recommendations to make from my kit.

I am a birder and can confirm that the Sombriolet is perfect. It's dad-hat as gently caress, but I never have to gently caress with sunscreen or sunglasses. I own two of them and I went to the Outdoor Research Outlet and would've bought a third if they'd had a decent color in my size. I ended up getting a Helium rain hat which is similar and also great so far.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I’ve got a Kingdom 4 tent and one thing bugs me: the cross pole. Why is there a wider bit of piping that goes over the cross pole? It doesn’t seem to do anything. It can’t even pass through the center of the tent, so it can’t really serve to keep the segments from coming apart. It’s not actually attached to the cross pole, so maybe it doesn’t go with it, but it doesn’t seem to go anywhere else, either.

I don’t know if I’m making sense. My allergies are going nuts today and I’m a bit fried from it.

Edit: I just read over the tent tips section and I think what I’m talking about is the “pole-repair tube.”

Edit2: while I’m asking questions about the tent, I have another: on the front of the bag for the tent, there’s two pouches accessed by a vertical zipper. The lower pouch stores the stakes. The upper pouch was empty. Is the upper pouch for storing the footprint? Seems about the right size, though would be fairly snug.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 3, 2021

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Dick Burglar posted:

Edit2: while I’m asking questions about the tent, I have another: on the front of the bag for the tent, there’s two pouches accessed by a vertical zipper. The lower pouch stores the stakes. The upper pouch was empty. Is the upper pouch for storing the footprint? Seems about the right size, though would be fairly snug.

Yeah it’s to store the add on footprint, garage, etc.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Winter camping season cant get here soon enough!

Just got my seal skin gloves from my friend in Shishmaref:

Ought to keep my hands warm down to -20F or so.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
When I was walking an hour a day in minus 40° temps I started with a high-altitude mountaineering glove but later switched to a mid-weight fleece glove and keeping my hands in my coat pockets. The latter gave me all the dexterity I needed for short periods and otherwise kept my hands consistently warmer than the former.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

re: hiking pants

I just bought a pair of Patagonia Quandarys because it had good reviews on Outdoor Gear Lab. I previously went through a pair of OR Ferrosis (my favorite - they lasted about a year and a half), REI Saharas and North Face which I can't remember the name of

seems like whatever I buy, ends up tearing (I'm more on the rough mountaineering/climbing spectrum) which is too bad, but the lightweight feel is worth it I guess.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I ended up getting a mystery ranch scree 32 to replace my CamelBak day bag. It holds all my stuff from my old bag and has enough room left over for a decent sized lunch cooler.

re pants: I have a Columbia pair of pants that I like a lot. They're pretty thin and light and I always end up choosing them over the heavier more durable feeling pairs I have. I got a few decent thicker pairs at Costco if I want something tougher feeling but I rarely wear them since the lighter ones are just more convenient to pack.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

PokeJoe posted:

I ended up getting a mystery ranch scree 32 to replace my CamelBak day bag. It holds all my stuff from my old bag and has enough room left over for a decent sized lunch cooler.

This is very weird, since I also just got a Scree 32. Which is also replacing my aging Camelback Fourteener.

I wanted something with a little more structure, due to an old shoulder injury giving me pain on longer hikes. 32 liters feels like overkill, but honestly it's super comfortable and convenient. Also we have a kid on the way, so bigger pack sizes will be useful anyway. The numerous loops and hooks on the outside should make it better as a snowshoeing bag, too.

To be honest, I've also just wanted a Mystery Ranch bag for a while. I have some super old OG Dana Designs backpacks, but they don't really fit me now.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Lol. Did you get the orange one? My only complaint so far is that the adjustment straps are exceedingly long. I'm wrapping them up with a little Velcro to shorten them. I agree that its a bit big for a day bag but my old bag was packed to the gills and it was annoying when I wanted to buy something or put some mushrooms in it or whatever. It's pretty much a small backpacking bag, I'll probably use it for lighter overnights if I don't need the bigger bag.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
No, I went with blue. I wanted the tan/light brown one, but it looked a little too military cosplay for my tastes.

Yeah, the straps are really long. I've been meaning to find a way to tuck them away.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Any recommendations on a collapsible/small led lantern for backpacking that has a more soft/nautral light than standard, harsh LEDs for sitting around camp?
Friends and I love the light from the propane lantern, but it's a major PITA to pack in an out, even on a 3ish mile hike.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I don’t know about that, but the LUCI 2.0 is what I recommend to everyone looking for a backpacking lantern. I think they make a few variations thereof, all w different lights (from cool to warm, SOS beacons, candle, etc.). Check it out: https://mpowerd.com/collections/solar-lanterns

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Brother Tadger posted:

I don’t know about that, but the LUCI 2.0 is what I recommend to everyone looking for a backpacking lantern. I think they make a few variations thereof, all w different lights (from cool to warm, SOS beacons, candle, etc.). Check it out: https://mpowerd.com/collections/solar-lanterns

These are great. Can't speak to different colors because mine is the standard LED glow. Never bothered me though.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
That looks promising. I think something like that with a more diffused light will work just fine.
Really it's the harshness of a direct LED that bothers us more so than the color.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
OK, I have not looked through the entire thread since I am a bit new to it. I know the answer is probably yes, but do I need a knife and if so, what should I get without looking like a complete psycho?

At my work we have a confiscated OKC 499 that is really dull. I was thinking of just claiming it as my own for now.

As with bikes, are my choices cheap, durable and light? Pick 2.

Thanks.

Cat Ass Trophy fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 8, 2021

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

What do you need it for? I have a regular swiss army knife in my hiking bag and a larger folding single bladed knife i take camping but tbh i don't really use them all that often outside of opening stuff or cutting bits of rope or whatever.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I think it's smart to have a small tool of some sort that you can use to pry, cut, or whatever. But it certainly doesn't have to be fancy. Unless you've got a specific use case like gutting fish or whittling, something basic, folding, and a step above dirt cheap is probably fine.

I carry a little pocket knife my dad gave me ages ago. I struggle to think of the last time I used it for something other than opening a food package. But I still think it's a good idea to keep it around.

I googled the knife you mentioned, and it seems like overkill. Free is free, and I'm sure it'd work, but it's more than you'll need. And, just to be clear, if you're worried about dangerous wildlife, carry bear spray (and know how to use it). Outside of grizzly country I don't bother, though.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

AS with bikes, are my choices cheap,, durable and light? Pick 2.

Pick all 3 and get a Morakniv. They're cheap and cheerful, good for cutting and prying tasks, and you can baton firewood with them if you really need. Sharpen it every now and then and it'll last until you lose it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

Pick all 3 and get a Morakniv. They're cheap and cheerful, good for cutting and prying tasks, and you can baton firewood with them if you really need. Sharpen it every now and then and it'll last until you lose it.

second the morakniv if you plan to do any crafts or prying, for :20bux: you cant go wrong. i keep one in my car with the emergency supplies. usually though the only thing i expect to need is a sharp edge, so i just carry one of these
https://www.amazon.com/Derma-safe-Folding-Utility-Survival-5-pack/dp/B0067EMCVI

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Third the morakniv! It's cheap and sharp enough to seriously main yourself if needed. It can take some abuse too.

My only issue is I regularly put it in the scabbard backwards, but considering a 45 year old man can't avoid cutting himself open while slicing apples, perhaps the issue lies within.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Morakniv are great if all you need is a very good affordable knife.

If you want a very good affordable folding knife, I'd look at Opinel. They come in various sizes.

For most backpacking, you don't really need a big or even normal sized knife unless you're planning on needing a knife, like if you're bushcrafting or cooking things from scratch.

If you go for a Swiss Army knife, I'd aim for one with scissors and tweezers at minimum. If you're ultralight, the Swiss Army Classic SD is a keychain sized one that works well and is easy to lose. Otherwise you can get any number of combinations and amounts of tools on these things.

Leatherman type multitools can be heavy. Not sure when you'd need pliers when backpacking, but who knows. If you need pliers in a tiny package, the Gerber Dime is good and small. I keep one in my bike bag.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have a gerber dime too, but cutting anything with it sucks rear end. The blade is just too small, you can't even take off a slice of cheese without it looking like a massacre.

The small and light form factor is a big plus though if those are important it's definitely worth some mangled cheese.

Also all the other tools can be handy in a pinch.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I’ve got a leatherman squirt that’s by far my favorite hiking multi tool. When I want to mess around at camp and cover less miles I’ll bring a morakniv and make festhersticks and what not.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

xzzy posted:

I have a gerber dime too, but cutting anything with it sucks rear end. The blade is just too small, you can't even take off a slice of cheese without it looking like a massacre.

The small and light form factor is a big plus though if those are important it's definitely worth some mangled cheese.

Also all the other tools can be handy in a pinch.

I wouldn't want to slice cheese with it easier, but its a good package for any field repairs or first aid needs I might encounter while bicycling.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I carry an ancient version of what now appears to be called the Leatherman Micra, because larger scissors seem vastly more useful than pliers and also a cheap pocket knife. I've never so much thought about them when out so I'll probably leave at least one at home next time.

That said, my overnight trips thus far have involved very little camp time, no cooking, etc.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My Leatherman Skeletool feels nice in the hand and looks dang cool.

Gerber dime goes in my coin pocket as an EDC :)

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I have a Swiss army ranger (maybe camper) knife that's been useful at times but the tweezers while functionally useful, suck. Pack real precision tweezers in your med kit instead.

Most times I just carry a small Gerber paraframe folding knife. Opens packages, cuts cheese and sausage, cuts rope, etc. I think it's important to have a blade but smaller and lighter is better. I don't see a need for anything bigger than 2-3" unless you're going full on survival bushcraft building a shelter etc.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

While some might not consider it cheap, the Benchmade Bugout and Mini Bugout is a fantastic small lightweight pocket knife option that won't make you look like Rambo.

Benchmade 533 Mini Bugout by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Benchmade 533 Mini Bugout by charliebravo77, on Flickr

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

As a heritage knife fuckboy I carry an Opinel or Mercator K55K depending on the occasion.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I’ve got a leatherman squirt that’s by far my favorite hiking multi tool.

Yeah the little pliers are incredibly useful.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I carry a leatherman crater regularly, and keep a leatherman style ps in my day pack.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

OK, I have not looked through the entire thread since I am a bit new to it. I know the answer is probably yes, but do I need a knife and if so, what should I get without looking like a complete psycho?

At my work we have a confiscated OKC 499 that is really dull. I was thinking of just claiming it as my own for now.

As with bikes, are my choices cheap, durable and light? Pick 2.

Thanks.

Xth-ing the Morakniv.

The one part of me that has to be prepared for every possible contingency wants the leatherman, but the part of me that gets poo poo done is cool with just the knife. Depends on whether or not you've got a need for the ability to turn screws and nuts, such as in the case of the aforementioned bikes, I guess. That's where I'd choose make that decision.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Xth-ing the Morakniv.

Thanks knife goons. I ended up getting the Morakniv Bushcraft knife. So far I have used it as a striker to build a test fire, and to cut up some Freshpet dog food for the hound. Hopefully it will be useful on the trail.

I got a Companion for my wife. She just rolled her eyes and asked "Why the gently caress do I need this?" But after handling it and learning the cost was only $20 even she was impressed.

Here's to hoping I don't cut my hand open messing around with it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you've never cut your hand messing around with a knife then you haven't really messed with any knives.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I got my very first knife (a small swiss army) for my 10th birthday. Literally the first thing I did, still sitting on the sofa surrounded by family telling me to be careful, was flip it open straight into my thumb. Pretty deep, and a lot of blood.

It was almost exactly that A Christmas Story scene, but with a blade instead of a bb gun. I can still see the scar in my thumbprint decades later.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

incogneato posted:

I got my very first knife (a small swiss army) for my 10th birthday. Literally the first thing I did, still sitting on the sofa surrounded by family telling me to be careful, was flip it open straight into my thumb. Pretty deep, and a lot of blood.

It was almost exactly that A Christmas Story scene, but with a blade instead of a bb gun. I can still see the scar in my thumbprint decades later.

Nearly the same. I was in 5th grade and got a Cub Scout blue Swiss Army knife for my 10th birthday. This was the late 70's so you could still bring a knife to school without the staff even blinking an eye. So naturally I was loving around with it in class on birthday +1 day, and cut my index finger to the bone. For a split second I felt no pain and there was no visible cut. Then the blood began to flow. All over the place. To her credit the teacher just looked at me and said "Cat rear end, just go to the school nurse and don't make a mess of things."

I did not want my parents to find out about my dumbassery. A trip to the nurses office always meant a call home. So I stopped by the art supply closet and just taped the would shut with some colored electrical tape.

Only within the past decade has the scar faded away. So I will remain wary about using my knew knife in a responsible manner.

I also bought a compass. I don't think I can hurt myself with that.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I definitely cut my thumb the first time my dad let me carry a knife on a hike. I was checking to make sure it was sharp, and did a good job at it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Nearly the same. I was in 5th grade and got a Cub Scout blue Swiss Army knife for my 10th birthday. This was the late 70's so you could still bring a knife to school without the staff even blinking an eye. So naturally I was loving around with it in class on birthday +1 day, and cut my index finger to the bone. For a split second I felt no pain and there was no visible cut. Then the blood began to flow. All over the place. To her credit the teacher just looked at me and said "Cat rear end, just go to the school nurse and don't make a mess of things."

I did not want my parents to find out about my dumbassery. A trip to the nurses office always meant a call home. So I stopped by the art supply closet and just taped the would shut with some colored electrical tape.

Only within the past decade has the scar faded away. So I will remain wary about using my knew knife in a responsible manner.

I also bought a compass. I don't think I can hurt myself with that.

a compass can only hurt if it gets you lost, maybe

or if you blind yourself with the mirror