Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Rime posted:

Since everyone is quitting I negotiated concessions to come back and do this last chill job up in Canada, and go home once a month to see my partner instead of once every eleven. I'll negotiate more extreme concessions next week, what are they gonna do, say no when we need to hire 800 field techs next year to build this poo poo on schedule? In this job market? Ok, LOL.

Admittedly it is extremely hard to give up a job which my posting enemies fundamentally cannot publically admit is utterly pointless without in the process admitting that poo poo is past hopeless and were hosed - just to instead go make lovely marvel films or trundle rocks off cliffs above highways or *shudder* go back to Tech. The amount of bullshit eco-green-world-saving moral high ground I get to throw behind my doomsaying nowadays is :black101: compared to the rank hypocrisy I'd be living in my alternative résumés.

More deeply, I don't think I can live with myself if I don't spend the rest of my life raging against the dying of the light with my meager skillset, despite knowing full well everything that is wrong with this approach, so I'm trapped here because the growth-capitalist societal structure being clung to and enforced by the types in our mirror thread denies all opportunity for any alternative path forwards and this is what I can do without risking the premature termination of my life or riding it out in ADX Florence. Obviously I'm not saving the world, but everyone thinks I am, and I cannot psychologically handle idly sitting on a beach burning out till civilization implodes like some Liberal would. Years of protesting and sign waving and activism achieved a world which is demonstrably worse every year, so here I am pretending megawatts at my fingertips is a solution - because the crowd loves it and it assuages my horrific existential guilt of living and consuming in the first world if I don't think too hard. :shrug:

Tune in tomorrow for when I post about how everything is bullshit and I'm quitting it all to spend the remaining five years of my life unemployed, because we're clearly totally hosed and nothing matters lol.

you need a holiday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

hey!! as a future apocalypse burnout i take offense to being called a liberal

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

blatman posted:

i was just catching up on unread posts and when i realized you were the one posting that garbage i thought i was having a stroke

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rime posted:

Since everyone is quitting I negotiated concessions to come back and do this last chill job up in Canada, and go home once a month to see my partner instead of once every eleven. I'll negotiate more extreme concessions next week, what are they gonna do, say no when we need to hire 800 field techs next year to build this poo poo on schedule? In this job market? Ok, LOL.
hey that's good. leverage that poo poo all you can. at the least get that sweet 4 on / 4 off which sounds like you're doing. still rough though. also a good opportunity to unionize the gently caress out of everyone in your field since they can't say no.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I immediately viscerally knew he was doing a bit :smug:

Italicizing 'buy a bit more time' was a pretty solid giveaway

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i'm working on like 20 miles of shoreline protection seawalls for various airports for 42" of sea level rise by 2050 and all i can do is lol

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

thread seems to be moving a lot faster than the old one. i suppose thats to be expected as conditions continue to deteriorate

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Lmao. Lol.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Watched half of the Nature Abhors a Dome video.

But that's ok, I never had hope to begin with. As soon as the combustion engine was invented, it was a done deal, we were never going to stop burning every last drop.

so

RC Cola posted:

Lmao. Lol.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mola Yam posted:

rime have you never seen a movie

don't you know how "one last job" always ends

Rime gets crushed by the the last blade falling off the last turbine because of cost cutting and incompetence

"three weeks....to retirement *croak*"

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

blatman posted:

i was just catching up on unread posts and when i realized you were the one posting that garbage i thought i was having a stroke

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I just peaked at the other thread and the last few pages are wild and show it is in fact as bad as ever.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
you don’t have to worry about what would happen with fusion power because it probably isn’t going to happen within our lifetimes (if ever, there’s no guarantee it will ever work). and i don’t even think they’ll be too climate-shortened for the most part like many here.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

what’s goku got to do with anything

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

hes going to final flash the carbon out of the atmosphere

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I feel like if Goku tried to borrow the strength of our planet earth for a spirit bomb all he'd get was a flag with bang written on it.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

D&D are like the relatives who insist that if you just take the right blend of turmeric and milk thistle your terminal cancer can be cured. At best you know they mean well so you smile and say you'll look into it. At worst you pray the grim reaper hurries up and comes for you before they start talking about crystals.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

are you loving for real??

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

bowser posted:

D&D are like the relatives who insist that if you just take the right blend of turmeric and milk thistle your terminal cancer can be cured. At best you know they mean well so you smile and say you'll look into it. At worst you pray the grim reaper hurries up and comes for you before they start talking about crystals.

The Steve Jobs approach to end of life care

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair, Jobs did move to another state to get ahead in the organ transplant line for the liver transplant he got.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

CODChimera posted:

thread seems to be moving a lot faster than the old one. i suppose thats to be expected as conditions continue to deteriorate

and yet posting is not carbon neutral, so we are moving up the timeline with every post

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
would goku choose to stop biosphere collapse if he could

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Mike the TV posted:

and yet posting is not carbon neutral, so we are moving up the timeline with every post

CO2 ppm, DOW Jones, thread post count ...

Number must go up

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

goku would let collapsa kill everything first so it could give him the best fight

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Mike the TV posted:

Hmmm. How about a posting offset thread where you can post to offset the carbon from your other posts?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I planted like 30 trees in elementary school so i feel like i have a carbon surplus and don't need to worry about my posting carbon

Eat poo poo carbon positive posting chumps

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

RIP Syndrome posted:

Hmmm. How about a posting offset thread where you can post to offset the carbon from your other posts?

don't some forums like fyad decrement your post count each time you post? in theory posting there should work

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Seems not great
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/oct/07/brazil-grain-train-amazon-indigenous-soya-beans

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

don't some forums like fyad decrement your post count each time you post? in theory posting there should work

:wow: and they said it couldn't be done

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

thats right

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Hubbert posted:

CO2 ppm, DOW Jones, thread post count ...

Number must go up

don’t forget covid deaths :)

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

quote:

“The ‘Grain Train’ is going to happen,” Brazil’s infrastructure minister, Tarcísio de Freitas, told the hundreds of mostly male spectators who had flocked there in a caravan of high-end SUVs.

Mauro Mendes, the rightwing governor of Mato Grosso state, where the railroad would start, derided the meddlesome leftists supposedly trying to torpedo the plan, including the US senator Bernie Sanders, the Mexican actor Gael García Bernal and Greece’s former finance minister Yanis Varoufakis.

“Are we really going to lose to these guys? No! We’ll win this war – and we’ll fight with all the weapons necessary,” Mendes told the summit in Sinop, remembering how Native American communities were devastated by the construction of the US transcontinental railroad in the 19th century.

“We will build the Ferrogrão without killing a single Indian!” Mendes proclaimed to loud applause.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

CODChimera posted:

RC Cola posted:

Lmao. Lol.
Two great posts that go great together!

Cuz we'll all go together when we go :)

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

"we won't murder people while building train tracks!" is strangely not reassuring, quite the opposite in fact

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
"Wrong, this isn't the Trolley Problem, it's the Train Problem. I award you 5 Pinocchios for misinformation."

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

thread speed will follow trends similar to that of the ever-increasing wildfires

posts will become more and more frequent until they rapidly screech to a halt due to fuel being spent faster than it can replenish (the fuel is humans with internet access / power / not being skeletonized)

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
dumping my body into the soylent vat so my kid can play minecraft for one more hour

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
God I crave skeletonization

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Building the railroad without killing one Native American is a promise they'll keep...

because they'll kill a lot more than that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

yea, they won't kill them, their mercenaries will.