Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.
Gotta keep the money train going

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/oct/06/fossil-fuel-industry-subsidies-of-11m-dollars-a-minute-imf-finds

quote:

The fossil fuel industry benefits from subsidies of $11m every minute, according to analysis by the International Monetary Fund.

The IMF found the production and burning of coal, oil and gas was subsidised by $5.9tn in 2020, with not a single country pricing all its fuels sufficiently to reflect their full supply and environmental costs. Experts said the subsidies were “adding fuel to the fire” of the climate crisis, at a time when rapid reductions in carbon emissions were urgently needed.

Explicit subsidies that cut fuel prices accounted for 8% of the total and tax breaks another 6%. The biggest factors were failing to make polluters pay for the deaths and poor health caused by air pollution (42%) and for the heatwaves and other impacts of global heating (29%).

Setting fossil fuel prices that reflect their true cost would cut global CO2 emissions by over a third, the IMF analysts said. This would be a big step towards meeting the internationally agreed 1.5C target. Keeping this target within reach is a key goal of the UN Cop26 climate summit in November.

Agreeing rules for carbon markets, which enable the proper pricing of pollution, is another Cop26 goal. “Fossil fuel price reform could not be timelier,” the IMF researchers said. The ending of fossil fuel subsidies would also prevent nearly a million deaths a year from dirty air and raise trillions of dollars for governments, they said.

“There would be enormous benefits from reform, so there’s an enormous amount at stake,” said Ian Parry, the lead author of the IMF report. “Some countries are reluctant to raise energy prices because they think it will harm the poor. But holding down fossil fuel prices is a highly inefficient way to help the poor, because most of the benefits accrue to wealthier households. It would be better to target resources towards helping poor and vulnerable people directly.”

With 50 countries committed to net zero emissions by mid-century and more than 60 carbon pricing schemes around the world, there are some encouraging signs, Parry said: “But we’re still just scratching the surface really, and there’s an awful long way to go.”

The G20 agreed in 2009 to phase out “inefficient” fossil fuel subsidies and in 2016, the G7 set a deadline of 2025, but little progress has been made. In July, a report showed that the G20 countries had subsidised fossil fuels by trillions of dollars since 2015, the year the Paris climate deal was reached.

“To stabilise global temperatures we must urgently move away from fossil fuels instead of adding fuel to the fire,” said Mike Coffin, senior analyst at the thinktank Carbon Tracker. “It’s critical that governments stop propping up an industry that is in decline, and look to accelerate the low-carbon energy transition, and our future, instead.

“As host of Cop26, the UK government could play an important global leadership role by ending all subsidies for fossil fuels, as well as halting new North Sea licensing rounds,” he said. The International Energy Agency (IEA) said in May that the development of new oil and gas fields must stop this year to meet climate goals.

The comprehensive IMF report found that prices were at least 50% below their true costs for 99% of coal, 52% of diesel and 47% of natural gas in 2020. Five countries were responsible for two-thirds of the subsidies: China, the US, Russia, India and Japan. Without action, subsidies will rise to $6.4tn in 2025, the IMF said.

Proper pricing for fossil fuels would cut emissions by, for example, encouraging electricity generators to switch from coal to renewable energy and making electric cars an even cheaper option for motorists. International cooperation is important, Parry said, to allay fears that countries could lose competitiveness if their fossil fuel prices were higher.

“The IMF report is a sobering reading, pointing to one of the major defects of the global economy,” said Maria Pastukhova, at the thinktank e3g. “The IEA’s net-zero roadmap projects that $5tn is necessary by 2030 to put the world on the pathway to a climate-safe world. It is maddening to realise the much-needed change could start happening now, if not for governments’ entanglement with the fossil fuels industry in so many major economies.”

“Fossil fuel subsidies have been a major stumbling block in the G20 process for years,” she said. “Now all eyes are on the G20 leaders’ summit in late October.”

Planetina did nothing wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 23 days!)

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/575982-biden-officially-restores-national-monuments-rolled-back-by-trump

quote:

President Biden on Friday officially restored environmental protections that were rolled back by former President Trump — signing proclamations to restore the boundaries of two Utah monuments and ban commercial fishing in a Northeast marine monument.

Biden, in explaining his decision, invoked native rights, calling one of the Utah monuments, Bears Ears, “a place of healing ... a place of reverence, a sacred homeland to hundreds of generations of native peoples.”

He also brought up climate change and advocated for the climate provisions in his economic agenda.

“Nearly one in three Americans live in a community that was struck by weather disasters just in the last few months,” Biden said. “Both the Build Back Better plan and my bipartisan infrastructure agreement are going to make critical investments, significantly increasing the resilience to these devastating effects on the climate crisis.”

Trump had reduced the size of Bears Ears, designated by then-President Obama, by about 85 percent, and Grand Staircase-Escalante, designated by then-President Clinton, by nearly half.

He also decided to open up the Northeast Canyons and Seamounts Marine National Monument, off the New England coast, for commercial fishing.

The White House announced late Thursday that Biden would restore Grand Staircase-Escalante to its pre-Trump boundaries, prohibit commercial fishing in the marine monument and phase out red crab and lobster fishing.

For Bears Ears, it will return to preserving all of the land that was part of the monument before Trump, while retaining land that was added during the Trump years, to make the monument 11,200 acres larger than it was under Obama.

it's good imho

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
leave the lobsters and crabs the gently caress alone and let their shells dissolve in the acid ocean like god intended

Walling off sections of the environment to stop murdering them directly at an accelerated rate is definitely good, worthless but good

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 04:13 on Oct 9, 2021

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Rime posted:

Today's Radio Ecoshock episode actually makes a strong case that its not overpopulation which hosed us, per se, but that a certain density of population and lifestyle creates an exponential impact on the surrounding environment. Eg: Five billion people living an American lifestyle would have the effective impact of a population of fifty billion.

This was all written back in the 70's so I don't think it's 100% accurate, but there's a case to be made for sure.

seems pretty obvious to me. people don't want to talk about overshoot because of the way racists hijack the narrative but it's definitely canada, america, qatar, australia, etc that are near the top of the list*, not india or china (though china is climbing the list and are on par with like spain or italy now). so when i talk about overshoot being a problem i'm blaming the rich countries first and foremost, because we're not engaging in degrowth. but it's not like other countries aren't trying to follow our bad example either vOv

*whether you look at production-based emissions or trade adjusted consumption

edit: also per capita numbers aren't always the best thing to look at if the country in question is tiny. i don't give a gently caress about finland's number for example. from a justice perspective it matters of course but you also gotta look at total emissions for a country as well, since political pressure against their governments will make more of a difference oops i'm talking like we can fix this again, lol. lmao.

Cold on a Cob has issued a correction as of 04:14 on Oct 9, 2021

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1446626237649129475

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1446562491367137280

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"Who cares about these state-sized dust storms and crop blights? So we just eat less bread and cereal for a while!" :downs:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

climate collapse won't be a big deal, we can just grow crops in the arctic when it gets hot enough!

i'm sure nobody will fight over who has the rights to grow lovely corn in the lovely mush under the lovely melted arctic permafrost, we'll all just band together and cooperate! if there's one thing modern governments are good at, it's setting aside differences and cooperating for the benefit of all

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

sometimes i hope hell is real

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Chard posted:

sometimes i hope hell is real

It is and you were born into it.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Hell is pretty final. I hope earth is just a penal colony and whatever we did in a real world determines how lovely and long our lives here are

this covers past lives, religion and the simulation theory all in one. It's a torture matrix created with intelligent design and going to heaven is serving your sentence. If you try to kill yourself you get reincarnated and have another 70-90 years added to your sentence.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Conspiratiorist posted:

It is and you were born into it.

if I remember sunday school, when you're in hell you know what sins you're atoning for. here you're just arbitrarily poo poo on

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Hell is pretty final. I hope earth is just a penal colony and whatever we did in a real world determines how lovely and long our lives here are

this covers past lives, religion and the simulation theory all in one. It's a torture matrix created with intelligent design and going to heaven is serving your sentence. If you try to kill yourself you get reincarnated and have another 70-90 years added to your sentence.

Worse. It's a metaphysical shock artwork piece, manifesting an ever blooming mass of self aware mortal meatforms decaying to oblivion to put on display to the terror and disgust of other more kind and benevolent demiurges, who are otherwise powerless to stop such an atrocity.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

blatman posted:

if I remember sunday school, when you're in hell you know what sins you're atoning for. here you're just arbitrarily poo poo on

That's honestly more evidence our existence is some form or variant of Purgatory or Limbo, even though ~His Holiness~ semi-recently decided the latter just isn't a thing anymore.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The Protagonist posted:

an ever blooming mass of self aware mortal meatforms decaying to oblivion to put on display to the terror and disgust

I'm Thinkin Arby's

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

The question isn't wrong even if he rambles like a moron. The whole of the last how many decades has been crushing nature underfoot/getting paid to live in a big house/leisure. Crying about the final nail is naturally pretty funny & uncompelling imo. ofc this is all from an outpouring of dumb framing but oh well its america, media, etc. whatever.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
I will kill every ant colony that dares invade my space

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Love these morons

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Ben Shapiro prayed for global warming on his show to stop COVID.

Now the earth is collapsing and COVID is still going!

Thanks, dumbass!

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
good morning

another one of my friends’ parents are going full chud because of mask mandates and covid poo poo and I’m supposed to believe we can convince people to stop eating meat and driving?

lol. lmao.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

arjzona?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
turning away a salad and then crying as i eat the bowl of maggots proffered once the last cow has been slain

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1446819738848534529?s=20

lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
loving lol

a relative's pet died so i logged into fb to send throw some empathy their way and these were posted in this exact order on their recent timeline

i can't even

VOTE! lol! lmao!

(in case the context doesn't quite translate: she's blaming trudeau for killing pipeline jobs then immediately blaming him for calling an election while climate change caused wildfires burned down the western provinces)

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

They're doing their fair share! You should see how many billions of gallons they could be using to keep that poo poo really green

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
destroying a golf course sounds both ethical and entertaining

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
you dont even need to destroy it. just clog a water pipe and Gaia will destroy it for you

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah golf courses disintegrate quickly if the crew cant maintain them

the problem is that the chems they treat the land with contain arsenic and lead and all kinds of nasty poo poo so its not a good idea to use an abandoned one for anything but of course they build houses on them cause world is a gently caress

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 14:08 on Oct 9, 2021

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
looks like its gonna be low to mid 80s for the entire next week still here in Ohio, the trees and plants look really confused, I’m sure its fine

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

quote:

When I met with Thompson and Kobaly in the desert, they told me they’re not trying to shut down the golf industry, and I’m with them on that. There’d be no Palm Springs without golf, just as there would have been no Rat Pack without Sinatra. The industry employs several thousand people, drawing hordes of snowbirds and pumping as much as $1 billion into the local economy.

lmfao what a bitch

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

i saw a cool one on some youtube where it had gone bankrupt, and some combination of the homeowners and an investor had turned into into a market-garden/vegetable-farm

i remember thinking about what a perfect example it is of how our problems are purely cultural, not resource or tech or even really money

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

If something is not immediately and directly useful to myself, it has no value, or possibly negative value.

What a world view! (presumably shared by most of the US)

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Crucial Driver of Local Economy Involved in Possible Use of Resources to Maintain Stunning, Business-Attracting Beauty

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Make us burn sooner mommy!

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

T-Paine posted:

anyone notice how the news is not really even talking about efforts to stop, stall, or mitigate climate change but instead how to cope with it? We're hyper-hosed!

manage to pick up any helpful tips yet?

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

CODChimera posted:

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

CODChimera posted:

420 smoke weed daily

but TCC has been telling me that for decades, so truly we burnouts are the accelerationists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
also do things like Ethical Crypto where your mining rig actually heats your house and then you use all the money you saved to set up a nonprofit that buys AR15s* for homeless leftists to defend themselves in the desert of the future. That seems more practical than anything D&D has come up with and this is a forum full of nerds with RTX cards going into the winter months :colbert:

* pretty sure you have to just give them the money and drive them to the gun store, actually buying a weapon for someone else directly is a straight felony. Just pointing this out before someone sets up GoonGunFund.crypto.biz.

Cabbages and Kings has issued a correction as of 17:09 on Oct 9, 2021