Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
a good developing example for anyone delusional enough to try and pretend we are going to do the right thing or the optimal thing or escape this is definitely that Arizona stuff.

We COULD shut down only the golf courses to save a hundred million gallons of potable water a day.

We are going to have fights in our government about saving these patriotic American businesses in the year 2021 and shitloads of money will be spent to preserve them. They will only stop operating when the water is gone or the environment is so inhospitable it makes their existence impossible no matter how much water you use.

but i have a feeling we will just build golf domes

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 18:05 on Oct 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its 100 million gallons a day not a year right?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
What's the best way to destroy a golf course, hypothetically?

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

it's one of those sicko fonts. i stand by it

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Cabbages and Kings posted:

also do things like Ethical Crypto where your mining rig actually heats your house and then you use all the money you saved to set up a nonprofit that buys AR15s* for homeless leftists to defend themselves in the desert of the future. That seems more practical than anything D&D has come up with and this is a forum full of nerds with RTX cards going into the winter months :colbert:

* pretty sure you have to just give them the money and drive them to the gun store, actually buying a weapon for someone else directly is a straight felony. Just pointing this out before someone sets up GoonGunFund.crypto.biz.

This is a horrible idea. In the wide open spaces of the treeless desert you want a long range platform on .308 or bigger, the guys with 5.56 AR15s will be the first to die.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Marenghi posted:

salt

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Real hurthling! posted:

its 100 million gallons a day not a year right?

Oh poo poo you are right. Google said

quote:

The records show 219 golf courses across Arizona used a total of 119,478 acre-feet of water in 2019. The average amount of water used per course was 504 acre-feet during the year, or about 450,000 gallons a day.Jun 14, 2021

I forgot to x365 so 35,970,750,000 gallons of water a year for golf in Arizona

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Marenghi posted:

protracted worker strike

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Marenghi posted:

crop dust roundup

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Oh poo poo you are right. Google said

I forgot to x365 so 35,970,750,000 gallons of water a year for golf in Arizona

You can't put that kind of price on something like nailing a birdie out of the sand trap on 15 and getting to rub it in to your ophthalmologist buddies for the rest of your lovelessly-married lives

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

golf courses like the ones in scottsdale are swarming with cops and security cameras n all that

it's fort knox poo poo

you'd have an easier time pulling off a bank heist probably

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Raine posted:

golf courses like the ones in scottsdale are swarming with cops and security cameras n all that

it's fort knox poo poo

what if u heist the bank and use the money to buy the golf course and turn it into affordable housing

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

no

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Marenghi posted:

unionize the workers

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

blatman posted:

what if u heist the bank and use the money to buy the golf course and turn it into affordable housing

depends on how many banks you're going to heist

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Raine posted:

it's fort knox poo poo

allegedly, hypothetically, you could come up with salt dispersal systems based on those things they disperse grass seed with

now the math on how much salt would be needed or how to program automated routes to get all of the green or how many drones and people you'd need to get all golf courses in one night to avoid the security crackdown once the first one dies is the realm of fantasy and implausibility

I mean you'd need at least 219 people and probably thousands of drones

You'd also go to prison for life for doing some ridiculous amount of "property" damage and just to save a few hundred billion gallons of water?

people should definitely not do this

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 18:25 on Oct 9, 2021

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe
nm

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

allegedly, hypothetically, you could come up with salt dispersal systems based on those things they disperse grass seed with

now the math on how much salt would be needed or how to program automated routes to get all of the green or how many drones and people you'd need to get all golf courses in one night to avoid the security crackdown once the first one dies is the realm of fantasy and implausibility

I mean you'd need at least 219 people and probably thousands of drones

You'd also go to prison for life for doing some ridiculous amount of "property" damage and just to save a few hundred billion gallons of water?

people should definitely not do this

even if this 219 man operation didn't get instantly infiltrated or whatever and worked, i wouldnt be surprised if they literally replaced all of the topsoil and planted new grass

golf courses make serious money and rich people will move heaven and (salted) earth to keep them up

i mean i guess it would be a seriously expensive blow to capital and also funny. it would probably be the most effective climate activist action to date at least

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

You dont even need to ruin all zillion acres, just get a shovel and dig up the greens and the old men will cancel their tee times and play at their friends courses until its fixed cause they cant stand the idea of putting on a chalk circle at the end of the fairway like its the middle of winter

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i'm pretty sure 220 dedicated terrorists could think of something better to do for the environment with their time than putting salt on a golf course

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

Rutibex posted:

i'm pretty sure 220 dedicated terrorists could think of something better to do for the environment with their time than putting salt on a golf course

you mean when they're not posting comic sans memes

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i was trying to joke about salting golf courses, not trying to minmax an Invasion USA terrorist army where people are running out of U-Boats with salt filled drones or whatever

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just go golfing on the course yourself, bring a camelbak full of gasoline, and spray a penis on each of the greens as you play. No muss no fuss plenty of other people will go through before the grass visibly dies

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
219 tiny toese shooters... or one very furry very special little dude

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i have done my part

I started recycling, stopped running the shower while i lather and fixed the leaky faucets in my house

I have saved 0.0000000000000000000000000001% of an arizona golf course worth of water over the past ten years

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
pfft i actually did my part. i got a vasectomy. too bad my brothers have like 9 kids between them and my brother in law is on kid number 4

lol.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Real hurthling! posted:

You dont even need to ruin all zillion acres, just get a shovel and dig up the greens and the old men will cancel their tee times and play at their friends courses until its fixed cause they cant stand the idea of putting on a chalk circle at the end of the fairway like its the middle of winter

golfie found

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

pfft i actually did my part. i got a vasectomy. too bad my brothers have like 9 kids between them and my brother in law is on kid number 4

lol.

i am afraid of a vasectomy so i just became a reprehensible and disgusting person that no one wants to be around so there is no danger of me ever reproducing

writing LOST fanfic in 2021 is a duty to the earth, not a hobby

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

Mameluke posted:

Just go golfing on the course yourself, bring a camelbak full of gasoline, and spray a penis on each of the greens as you play. No muss no fuss plenty of other people will go through before the grass visibly dies

use sodium hydroxide in water instead

no smell, and MUCH more effective. a friend in VA dumped a gallon of lye water in his yard after making DMT once in 2010 and there was just a permanent dead spot there for the next four years until he moved elsewhere. guessing it's still there

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

T-Paine posted:

golfie found

my dads big into it. complains every year about the "winter greens" being lovely for putting

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Real hurthling! posted:

my dads big into it. complains every year about the "winter greens" being lovely for putting

Well duh, you're supposed to chew the gum not putt on it

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

very normal 80 degree October day here in Minneapolis

Real hurthling! posted:

show him the george carlin bit on golf

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

:rubby:

quote:

Both cities intend to plant tens of thousands more drought-resistant trees in vulnerable areas, but that increases the need for more water, especially with young trees.

Phoenix also plans to install 400 shelters at bus stops in the next few years. Phoenix and Las Vegas residents interviewed for the studies suggested adding water fountains, water bottle filling stations and misters at transit stops.

lmao yeah that'll fix it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Uhhhh something something it's bad for the soul to laugh at these idiots something something

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
that star trek episode where data tries to move the desert planet settlers except they want to play golf

"My Grandfather is buried under this green"

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Why Everything is Suddenly Getting More Expensive — And Why It Won’t Stop

Thread readers will recall that I've been talking endlessly to anyone who will listen about the idea of externalized costs of production for years and years, and yet somehow it has never occurred to me to view the price tag associated with climate disruption as the debt incurred by those same costs circling back around and coming due. I've always assumed that debt would be reflected purely as damage or a body count, or the spiralling degredation of our environment. Since these costs will be imposed on us by forces out nature outside our control, at random, and largely cannot be mitigated (or, if they are, only at tremendous expense) - there's really no way to avoid the impact this will have on our economy and the cheap production it has relied on for a century to maintain social order via price incentives.

Obivously, things really are being propped up solely by the vast scale of the repo operations every major central bank is now doing nightly - to balance the continually increasing liquidity they're pumping in on the other end to prevent this situation from cooking off. Up from a few billion in the fall of 2019 to almost $2 Trillion, every night, in the USA alone now.

Elegant, simple, extremely alarming. It's like a light-bulb was just switched on in my head. This is the bowtie on the argument that growth consumer capitalism was only possible in a similarly boundless world, and now that we've hit and grossly exceeded the resource & environmental bounds of our own world an economic phase-change being forced on us is unavoidable.

Article just ties the whole room together, extremely pro-click. :psyboom:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
in the world where global supply chains are a thing of the past Detroit will become the new Constantinople

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Rime posted:

Why Everything is Suddenly Getting More Expensive — And Why It Won’t Stop

Thread readers will recall that I've been talking endlessly to anyone who will listen about the idea of externalized costs of production for years and years, and yet somehow it has never occurred to me to view the price tag associated with climate disruption as the debt incurred by those same costs circling back around and coming due. I've always assumed that debt would be reflected purely as damage or a body count, or the spiralling degredation of our environment. Since these costs will be imposed on us by forces out nature outside our control, at random, and largely cannot be mitigated (or, if they are, only at tremendous expense) - there's really no way to avoid the impact this will have on our economy and the cheap production it has relied on for a century to maintain social order via price incentives.

Obivously, things really are being propped up solely by the vast scale of the repo operations every major central bank is now doing nightly - to balance the continually increasing liquidity they're pumping in on the other end to prevent this situation from cooking off. Up from a few billion in the fall of 2019 to almost $2 Trillion, every night, in the USA alone now.

Elegant, simple, extremely alarming. It's like a light-bulb was just switched on in my head. This is the bowtie on the argument that growth consumer capitalism was only possible in a similarly boundless world, and now that we've hit and grossly exceeded the resource & environmental bounds of our own world an economic phase-change being forced on us is unavoidable.

Article just ties the whole room together, extremely pro-click. :psyboom:

i think you'd really enjoy this book, if you haven't read it already. the last lecture in particular is about these themes.

Cold on a Cob has issued a correction as of 01:39 on Oct 10, 2021

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

that star trek episode where data tries to move the desert planet settlers except they want to play golf

"My Grandfather is buried under this green"

oh yeah isn’t that also the episode where they don’t listen until Data shows them, actually I was powerful enough to effortlessly murder you all the whole time, and I’m just one guy, so they don’t even really learn any lesson besides the fact that they are impotent to resist outsiders and they better just move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

i think you'd really enjoy this book, if you haven't read it already. the last lecture in particular is about these themes.

atwood sucks

https://twitter.com/MargaretAtwood/status/125079946564599808?t=Vqk2WyMmOkSbe3jzsaxO8w&s=19