Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

the Council trying to keep vampires hidden

Mrenda posted:

I did not like the ending to Nadja's story this episode. The whole point about her being as stupid as the men should include, especially because she's an ancient vampire, her not being about modern woman, unappreciated at work, not enough time for herself kinda stuff. In the first two seasons her and Lazlo just hosed, and indulged each other's kinks. It could work if the writing was better but the beats of the story, if not the language, would absolutely play in any other crappy sitcom that gets a 150 episodes and goes into syndication.

In the first season she turned a woman into a vampire specifically because of feminist reasons. That has always been part of her character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Alhazred posted:

In the first season she turned a woman into a vampire specifically because of feminist reasons. That has always been part of her character.

I wish they could bring Beanie back for an episode but she’s probably too big now. Her turning into the freakish giant bat was absolutely hilarious to me.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Collin Robinson's jolly little "Hello!🎶" as people fled killed me. I'm a little curious if Colin Robinson is turning Lazlo, or if the buddy movie shtick is just to cover for the sexual tension of Nandorjia.

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 9, 2021

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Mrenda posted:

I'm gonna keep watching because I'm invested in the characters and the acting is great, but this season is nothing like the first two in the way it's written. Either in the storylines or dialogue.

Yeah, I'm still enjoying parts, but I think this season is noticeably weaker than the first two.

Earlier people brought up that everyone seems nicer. The weirdest example of this yet is probably the Baron.

The last time we saw him, he was considering slaughtering all of them for not conquering the New World (minus Canada) in a month. He hurled Laszlo into the roof for saying he would stand out in public.

He wakes up and they tell him with no hesitation that they have bungled things to the brink of extinction. He reacts sympathetically, teams up with them to fix it, and finds it delightfully amusing that a familiar is leading their party.

After the latest episode, I'm also worried they are curving towards the late-season sitcom trope of "every character gets a soulmate".

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Avasculous posted:

Yeah, I'm still enjoying parts, but I think this season is noticeably weaker than the first two.

Earlier people brought up that everyone seems nicer. The weirdest example of this yet is probably the Baron.

The last time we saw him, he was considering slaughtering all of them for not conquering the New World (minus Canada) in a month. He hurled Laszlo into the roof for saying he would stand out in public.

He wakes up and they tell him with no hesitation that they have bungled things to the brink of extinction. He reacts sympathetically, teams up with them to fix it, and finds it delightfully amusing that a familiar is leading their party.

After the latest episode, I'm also worried they are curving towards the late-season sitcom trope of "every character gets a soulmate".
It was weird, but I choose to believe he's suffering from Stockholm syndrome after being stuck in a shallow grave for, like, two years. Plus, it was really funny.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Count Bakula had me crying for a few minutes. That was great. :golfclap:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I had to pause and just crack up for a minute at that.

This show is so good and we are so lucky to have it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Avasculous posted:

Yeah lol, that's the joke.

I'm loving this season and the baron riding the sire is an inspiring image I don't think I'll ever forget.

boo_radley posted:

Collin Robinson's jolly little "Hello!🎶" as people fled killed me. I'm a little curious if Colin Robinson is turning Lazlo, or if the buddy movie shtick is just to cover for the sexual tension of Nandorjia.

What do you mean turning, like, converting him gradually into an energy vampire?

I loved Lazlo falling for geeksquad email exchange despite using glamour to wave past paying and rewards card stuff.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Avasculous posted:

Almost everyone is super horny this season. Laszlo and Nadja were already horny 24/7 but we also got two separate episodes where Nandor thought he'd found the love of his life (and spent half of one episode walking around pantsless with his dick swinging around) and now Colin Robinson also found "the one" and the Guide is making moves on Guillermo. It never works out though, apart from Laszlo and Nadja.

Khanstant posted:

I'm loving this season and the baron riding the sire is an inspiring image I don't think I'll ever forget.

I only just noticed that the pre-season trailer actually had a blink-and-you'll-miss-it appearance of the Baron riding the hellhound (1:26 in this video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bl2gDoDRbI

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kristen Schaal is the best new addition to this show, she's terrific.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mrenda posted:

Guillermo breaking "the fourth wall" to complain about how he's being treated as a small character compared to a doll was horrific. A ballsy move to attempt to upset the in-world universe and call out his relative rank in the hierarchy, but it just didn't work.

I didn't like this either

Hakkesshu posted:

New edition? :colbert:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Are people actually posting upset that the gimmick of addressing the documentary crew, one of the main conceits of the show and movie, is still being used?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Nobody wants mocumentaries anymore, they want normal multicam sitcoms with talking head scenes

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I would prefer more crew stuff. Not, like, characterizing them or anything, but I'd love to see a boom guy get dragged on screen and eaten by a Jersey Devil or somesuch.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Captain Monkey posted:

Are people actually posting upset that the gimmick of addressing the documentary crew, one of the main conceits of the show and movie, is still being used?

No I didn't like guillermo's attitude

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm not really sure what the documentary angle really does for the show tbh. It's more of an aesthetic than anything else.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I'm surprised they have avoided the temptation to this point to ever use the documentary crew to move along the plot.

Like when Lazlo went on the run and Nadja didn't know where he was, but the camera crew were still following him.

Suppose it breaks a lot of the show if they start making the camera crew too "real".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

No I didn't like guillermo's attitude

It's totally in line with his character. He believes himself to be power behind the throne and that that's how he should be treated.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Alhazred posted:

It's totally in line with his character. He believes himself to be power behind the throne and that that's how he should be treated.

Yeah, he's basically turning into one of them.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

I'm upset that they're becoming aware of the crew and their filming as something with purpose. Guillermo talking about being a bit player in a show is him being aware that the filming has purpose. So far it seems like they've all been completely oblivious to the consequences of what a documentary means, and barely think of it. There's a layer of stupidity between their being filmed and what the characters think of it. This season they're now addressing it, like it's a reality show, and it's just not working. Up until now the documentary crew has been, "loving guuuys... Now they're right there, and Gizmo started playing up to them and treating them with respect.

It goes back to the idea that the characters are far more competent this year. Sure, they gently caress up, but someone pointed out that Nadja has been "feminist" in the past in turning the S1 character into a vampire. That's true, but she was inept at it. Nadja turned the D&D player, then forgot about her. The new vampire was sick, didn't know she needed human blood, terrified her college roommate, and had to be rescued. Nadja hosed up, and when she realised the consequences of what she'd done she was equally as clueless. She was moronic in doing what she was doing. With the doll this episode they had a "happy ending." No-one really hosed up, not because they were stupid, selfish, not aware of modern issues, etc. The characters could have and probably did "learn something." The first two seasons were great because the characters never learned a thing, and if they did learn something they learned the wrong thing. It was constantly upsetting the plot beats, not this season which is constantly hitting typical plot beats, even if it's in weird scenarios.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't get the impression Nadja was being parricularly feminist in truth last week, she just said a lot of girl boss buzzwords to talk past her emotions over reconciling with doll Nadja

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mrenda posted:

It goes back to the idea that the characters are far more competent this year. Sure, they gently caress up, but someone pointed out that Nadja has been "feminist" in the past in turning the S1 character into a vampire. That's true, but she was inept at it. Nadja turned the D&D player, then forgot about her. The new vampire was sick, didn't know she needed human blood, terrified her college roommate, and had to be rescued. Nadja hosed up, and when she realised the consequences of what she'd done she was equally as clueless. She was moronic in doing what she was doing.

Nadja is actually really competent at showing Jenna how to be a good a vampire and in the end Jenna is much happier than she was when she was human.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

Suppose it breaks a lot of the show if they start making the camera crew too "real".

Winking at the absurdity of the crew being present is good for an occasional, 4th-wall gag like the disco vampires suddenly noticing them.

Treating the documentary as something that will actually happen and having characters vent about their screentime got cringey and unfunny fast in The Office though, and I hope they do not do it here.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Hakkesshu posted:

Her having a bigger role this season is my least favorite thing. I'm just not a fan.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The show is real good.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
everybody is super good on it imo. no weak spots. and it introduced me to Norma Tanega too so that's cool.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I still hold out hope for some 'Man Bites Dog' level of documentary shenanigans. The conceit was that a documentary crew was following a serial killer around as he killed people. At one point they come across another serial killer with his own documentary crew. I'd love to see the Swearwolves or Witches with a crew and how they interact when there's two sets of cameras each with their own agenda.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yess :twisted:

quote:

What We Do In The Shadows Season 4 Will Introduce More 'Ambitious' Creatures

On October 10, 2021, executive producer Paul Simms stopped by New York Comic-Con to chat about the show and answer fan questions. While he didn't divulge much about season 4, according to ScreenRant, he did say that the next season would include the show's "most ambitious" creatures yet, taking our beloved vampires deeper into the supernatural menagerie in which they live.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Dragons? Jersey Devil?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

They're finally going to show us the uncensored Taniwha loving from Wellington Paranormal

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I would like to see The Creature from the Black Gowanus Canal

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I absolutely adore how Matt Berry says certain words. He can take a word with one vowel and somehow make it have five. It's like reverse French.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wish there was some way to convert his voice to a sound board thing to say whatever arbitrary things you want, but there's no computer math that could generate the right kind of spontaneous emphasis needed on the right words to really nail his voice.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

ConfusedUs posted:

I absolutely adore how Matt Berry says certain words. He can take a word with one vowel and somehow make it have five. It's like reverse French.

He has probably my favorite line from the whole series: "I've been poo poo on... from a great height. And its not the first time."

I just love his delivery of that.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

ConfusedUs posted:

i assume that most everyone in this thread has seen Garth Marenghi's Darkplace but if you haven't and want to see Matt Berry going at it even harder than he does in this show, you should check it out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

They're finally going to show us the uncensored Taniwha loving from Wellington Paranormal

No no, that would be revolting and disgusting and appalling... now if they were STATUES then that would totally be fine and okay!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

uber_stoat posted:

i assume that most everyone in this thread has seen Garth Marenghi's Darkplace but if you haven't and want to see Matt Berry going at it even harder than he does in this show, you should check it out.

Linda: Hold me in your arms.
DS: But we don't even know each other's name.
Linda: Linda.
DS: DR. SANCHEZ!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

You and he were... buddies, weren't you?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Maybe when they say the creatures will be ambitious they mean they'll have, like, jobs and career aspirations and stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

LadyPictureShow posted:

Her having a bigger role this season is my least favorite thing. I'm just not a fan.

I can never understand a loving word she’s saying