Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Heck, Florida has a TON of boa constrictors that either escaped or were released from exotic animal collections and now live in the wild: https://www.usgs.gov/centers/fort/s..._center_objects

It's not hard to see other animals like monkeys or tigers also being able to survive in the swamps.

Its got a good variety of bioms and as most exotic pets are from tropical regions, it's not hard to imagine that they can find homes there. I know at least one person who's cat was eaten by a boa that was living in the wooded area behind their home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

I don't know why but I really hate attempts to connect bigfoot and yetis with aliens. Like, I get that it's not really any more ridiculous than anything else about either topic but something just rubs me the wrong way about combining the two.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

stereobreadsticks posted:

I don't know why but I really hate attempts to connect bigfoot and yetis with aliens. Like, I get that it's not really any more ridiculous than anything else about either topic but something just rubs me the wrong way about combining the two.

yeah me too. it's like... is this insane missing link man-ape-beast not enough for you? do you have to add something else for it to be cool somehow?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
bigfoot probably hates aliens too, i bet its insulting

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Apparently there's been a bunch of bigfoot sightings that occurred at the same time as UFO sightings, often big glowing orbs hovering over the forest

There's a big schism in the bigfoot community between those who think that bigfoots are just a regular animal that's just really good at hiding and the fringe outliers who think it has psychic powers and/or can teleport between dimensions and/or has UFO connections. That's the problem when the dataset you're basing your belief on is mostly anecdotal 'evidence', you get a whole lot of really weird stories in the mix which have the same level of verifiability/refutability as all the 'normal' sightings

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Snooze Cruise posted:

bigfoot probably hates aliens too, i bet its insulting

How many aliens could Bigfoot take in a fight? at least 50 right?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
New nessie video! It got instantly debunked, it's poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A127Zrz-OvM

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

How many aliens could Bigfoot take in a fight? at least 50 right?

Here's a documentary about that!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev2IlPsJdqw

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Well now I just need an entire cryptid power tier.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dwL8ESU97s

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

That's just straight-up the Dinosauroid from the early 80's, smokin' a doob.

https://tetzoo.com/blog/2021/8/30/dinosauroid-at-nearly-40-years-old

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Knormal posted:

:lol: I forgot about Dinosauroid.
I was terrified by pictures of the general grey-type aliens as a kid, but Dinosauroid is doofy enough that even child me wasn't scared.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Apparently there's been a bunch of bigfoot sightings that occurred at the same time as UFO sightings, often big glowing orbs hovering over the forest

There's a big schism in the bigfoot community between those who think that bigfoots are just a regular animal that's just really good at hiding and the fringe outliers who think it has psychic powers and/or can teleport between dimensions and/or has UFO connections. That's the problem when the dataset you're basing your belief on is mostly anecdotal 'evidence', you get a whole lot of really weird stories in the mix which have the same level of verifiability/refutability as all the 'normal' sightings

I've always loved the "high strangeness" idea that there are just certain times and places where all kinds of crazy poo poo happens all at once, like Mothman or Skinwalker Ranch. Poltergeists? Yup. Bigfeets? We got 'em. UFOs, aliens, interdimensional portals? Check, check, check.

I don't believe it, but it's super fun to suspend disbelief and think about.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Captain DIEgiene posted:

Well now I just need an entire cryptid power tier.

Mothman has gotta be OP, he can see the future and thus predict his opponents every move.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Knormal posted:

Just finished this trashy book by Brad Steiger saying that the greys are actually evolved spacefaring dinosaurs who came back to earth to live underground and genetically engineer us

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

On the topic of invasive species, I think alien big cats are certainly among the most plausible cryptids, and given the occasional body that pops up they are to a certain extent confirmed. That said, I do think it's quite interesting that weird large cats seem to pop up again and again around the world while other weird exotic animals just don't. Maybe a combination of some kind of instinctual fear of large cats inspiring people to interpret things in a certain way and just a huge number of feral cats basically everywhere there are humans, which I can confirm from personal experience can seem much bigger than they actually are (thought I saw a mountain lion once near my brother's old house in rural Nevada, wouldn't have been a cryptid but not exactly a common thing to see, turned out it was just a large feral cat in a field with nothing nearby to provide scale).

The theory I've seen accounting for Great Britain specifically is that the passage of the 1976 "Dangerous Wild Animals Act" lead to some people releasing their exotic big cats: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-19397320

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Jetto Jagga posted:

The theory I've seen accounting for Great Britain specifically is that the passage of the 1976 "Dangerous Wild Animals Act" lead to some people releasing their exotic big cats: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-19397320

It's odd in the UK, that the whole mystery "are there big cats prowling the countryside?" is not really a mystery. Exotic cats have been caught, it's more a question of individual sightings.

Likewise there are apparently kangaroos on the loose in scotland and elsewhere in the world.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

yeah. like earth is clearly just an optional stop along part of their 4+N dimensional migratory territory, get with it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

nonathlon posted:

It's odd in the UK, that the whole mystery "are there big cats prowling the countryside?" is not really a mystery. Exotic cats have been caught, it's more a question of individual sightings.

Likewise there are apparently kangaroos on the loose in scotland and elsewhere in the world.

Rare encounter: Terrain: Scotland. 1d4 4HD kangaroos.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

nonathlon posted:

It's says a lot about the british mind that the most imaginative cryptid they can come up with is "a somewhat large cat".

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

There's a stable population of wallabies on a small island just off the Irish coast, a little north of Dublin.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The Lizard guy was actually just trying to help Jesus down off the cross, but the painting was taken out of context and Lizards have been unfairly slandered ever since.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I've got such a weird question I don't even know if this is where to ask it, but here goes: I'm looking for cryptids, legendary creatures, mythical monsters, things of that sort which mostly function(ed) as cautionary tales. Bugbears were a warning to kids not to go wandering around at night, big bad wolves would blow your house down if you slacked off too much, things of that nature--stories of creatures (or even legendary phenomena) that reinforce traditions or punish you for doing poo poo wrong. Ye olden mythologies and fairy tales are cool for this (I was surprised how few I could actually name when I sat down and thought about it), but bonus points if it's a fairly contemporary myth, fairly obscure, or really, really punches that "follow the rules or die" button.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I've got such a weird question I don't even know if this is where to ask it, but here goes: I'm looking for cryptids, legendary creatures, mythical monsters, things of that sort which mostly function(ed) as cautionary tales. Bugbears were a warning to kids not to go wandering around at night, big bad wolves would blow your house down if you slacked off too much, things of that nature--stories of creatures (or even legendary phenomena) that reinforce traditions or punish you for doing poo poo wrong. Ye olden mythologies and fairy tales are cool for this (I was surprised how few I could actually name when I sat down and thought about it), but bonus points if it's a fairly contemporary myth, fairly obscure, or really, really punches that "follow the rules or die" button.

I assume you know about Monstrum on YouTube, right? If not, it’s a PBS Digital series of very well researched shorts about mythological creatures and cryptids that you need to start watching right now. I know some of the creatures are exactly what you are looking for but it’s been a while since I’ve watched them so I can’t name that many. I think the Yara-ma-yha-who is one?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yep, Monstrum is what you're looking for. The Wendigo episode is a particularly good example.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Off the top of my head, a fairly common myth found worldwide are cautionary monsters to dissuade children from going near bodies of water unattended, to keep the little sprogs from accidentally drowning themselves. Examples include

-the Kappa, a Japanese water demon that resembles a sorta humanoid turtle, that drowns children and sucks out their internal organs through their anuses (presumably based on bloated drowned corpses prolapsing as they decayed). If you encounter one, you're supposed to stop it attacking you by bowing, as it will be compelled to bow back to you and drain the bowl-like depression of water on top of its head it needs to keep wet at all times to survive. This also teaches children to be courteous and bow when meeting someone!

-the Ahuizotl, a creature of Aztec mythology, a cross between a dog and a monkey with a hand on the end of its tail. It could force all the various fish and frogs of a lake close to the surface, drawing greedy fisherman close to the shore where it would drag them under and eat their eyes, teeth and nails.

-Jenny Green-Teeth, a green-skinned shark-toothed hag from English folklore, who lurks in ponds waiting to drown the young or elderly. Similar creatures show up in folklore from Jamaica to Pennsylvania.

-Australia has the Bunyip, a creature that doesn't seem to have a commonly agreed upon form, sometimes described as vaguely doglike, sometimes like a plesiosaur, sometimes like a starfish. Its common attibutes are being aquatic or amphibious, mostly nocturnal, and preying on overly greedy fishermen or unattended children who go near creeks, watering holes and billabongs.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
aka manto warns of the dangers of toilet paper

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I always envisioned a bunyip to look just like a bunny

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
They can look like whatever you want

quote:

Bunyip (1890)

quote:

Bunyip (1904)

quote:

Bunyip (1935)

quote:

Alexander Bunyip (1986)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I grew up watching Alexander Bunyip on local kid's TV in the late 70s, I guess it was one of my earliest exposures to cryptids. The first iteration of the costume was a lot freakier before they redesigned it to be more kid friendly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQrM7UDtd_o

One of my other 70s cryptid exposures was the Loch Ness episode of The Goodies:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6tklnf

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Alhazred posted:

It's says a lot about the british mind that the most imaginative cryptid they can come up with is "a somewhat large cat".

Hey, that's not fair! They also came up with 'big spooky dog'!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Seeing Black Shuck would be terrifying though.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
That dog don't give a gently caress!!

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Alhazred posted:

This is unbelievably funny to me, probably because it's true. The UK - land of lowered expectations

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
80's animatronic bunyip nightmare fuel:

Would love to see some footage of that one, iirc the sound player for it was faulty resulting in mind-shattering howls and the moving parts were worn out so it moved rather unnaturally. Unfortunately nothing has yet emerged online. The one today is just a boring cartoon character :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyNqcdZ9KXg

Asterite34 posted:

Off the top of my head, a fairly common myth found worldwide are cautionary monsters to dissuade children from going near bodies of water unattended, to keep the little sprogs from accidentally drowning themselves.
A respected Aboriginal elder has pointed out that the tourist attraction doesn't help to teach that lesson:

quote:

Major “Moogy” Sumner was reported as saying The Bunyip was not a fun story but meant as a warning to children- “Don’t go swimming in the river without a parent or the creature will take you.” He also said that the traditional stories were not to be regarded as “fairy tales” but life’s lessons. The Mulyawonk (Bunyip) should not be represented as a growling monster that lives in a cage and makes people laugh.”

The Sausages has a new favorite as of 11:56 on Oct 11, 2021

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Just learned about this photo. Love it

https://www.cnn.com/2015/08/04/us/south-carolina-lizard-man-feat/index.html

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Haters gonna hate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013