Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ulf posted:

i mean, they kinda did; can't sell pii if the nation's just giving it away for free

:thurman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I make training for most of my job and that involves building virtual environments and whatnot to teach users how to do stuff

I also have to support our extensive catalogue and some of the poo poo that was made before I showed up has zero documentation beyond the lab instructions.

this one lab needed to have some changes made to it and the credentials for the server 2012 machine were wrong and none of our common lab passwords worked, so I plopped a kali box in and got to use eternal blue so I could change the password and log in.

this reminded me of a time in the distant past when I was on deployment and there was a laptop with mission critical poo poo that no one could access. a guy in my crew had a Linux live cd for some reason so he easily got onto the box and made it accessible. the fuckers came real close to making his life hell and busting him down for hacking (why did you have that in the first place type poo poo) but in the end gave him one of the most minor awards you could get instead

welp have a nice Saturday everyone

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

"oh you saved our asses? well gently caress you"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I make training for most of my job and that involves building virtual environments and whatnot to teach users how to do stuff

I also have to support our extensive catalogue and some of the poo poo that was made before I showed up has zero documentation beyond the lab instructions.

this one lab needed to have some changes made to it and the credentials for the server 2012 machine were wrong and none of our common lab passwords worked, so I plopped a kali box in and got to use eternal blue so I could change the password and log in.

this reminded me of a time in the distant past when I was on deployment and there was a laptop with mission critical poo poo that no one could access. a guy in my crew had a Linux live cd for some reason so he easily got onto the box and made it accessible. the fuckers came real close to making his life hell and busting him down for hacking (why did you have that in the first place type poo poo) but in the end gave him one of the most minor awards you could get instead

sounds real familiar.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Carthag Tuek posted:

"oh you saved our asses? well gently caress you"

no good deed ever goes unpunished

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
On the flip side someone I know owes his entire career to a story like that

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Fart Sandwiches posted:

the fact it's possible to hack a military laptop with mission critical poo poo on it with a live CD means some ISSO or contractor hosed up but of course they'd never be the ones to see consequences.

That actually reminds me of the time I worked for a bank contractor re-wiring ATM networks. I accidentally socially engineered my way into a military training facility where one of the ATMs was located. I got a full tour of all the wiring closets, racks, and telco demarc. Only after I needed to get some help with some wiring did they realize that I was never actually authorized to be there. All because I was wearing a canvas jacket and holding a clipboard.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Methanar posted:

Why does everything popular on the Internet tend towards degeneracy.

Insecurity, unmet needs, capitalism, unequal distribution of income, ignorance, anxiety, lack of strong moral compass. I can keep going, but you get the picture.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

watched a guy have a tantrum at a restaurant because they asked him to scan a qr code for the menu and "he doesn't do that poo poo". He's a dumb rear end in a top hat, but it got me thinking. As long as you don't enter any PII or accept any installation, the threat is basically nil, right?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Brute Squad posted:

watched a guy have a tantrum at a restaurant because they asked him to scan a qr code for the menu and "he doesn't do that poo poo". He's a dumb rear end in a top hat, but it got me thinking. As long as you don't enter any PII or accept any installation, the threat is basically nil, right?

how many exploits are started by visiting a url with a payload that is opened automatically?

more than nil

that said, it’s unlikely that the restaurant menu is high risk

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

little security threat but apparently a lot of the big chains are hoping to be able to keep QR code menus and such because they are loving the ability to track customers.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Brute Squad posted:

I'd assume the URL in the QR code has the standard online advertising tracker crap in it so they :tinfoil: would know which chilis you had been to

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's also cheaper for restaurants to change their prices if they don't have to reprint the menus when they do it. Menu costs will probably be an outdated reference soon.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

theres always some cost to updating things even if its all digital so the term won't go away completely

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yes but now they can surge price the tendies

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Clark Nova posted:

I'd assume the URL in the QR code has the standard online advertising tracker crap in it so they :tinfoil: would know which chilis you had been to

Is there a way to open the page in an incognito window by default?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

yes but now they can surge price the tendies
Indeed, why commit to a fixed number when they could determine the optimum price by conducting tender offers in realtime?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
tendie tracking on the blockchain

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mystes posted:

Indeed, why commit to a fixed number when they could determine the optimum price by conducting tender offers in realtime?

a/b testing tendies

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Guy Axlerod posted:

outback
no rules, just right-click

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Guy Axlerod posted:

on android: Firefox Focus as default browser

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Brute Squad posted:

this sounds like a great way to make your entire chain of restaurants have to close because some idiot hosed up the SSL cert or something

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

sounds like a great way to get more customers asking about specials on goatse's golden onion rings

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Clark Nova posted:

In my experience, at least so far, it usually doesn't. The QR code ends up just being a redirect for the restaurant's website with absolutely no path or query appended. Also missing on the card with the QRCode: the loving address to go to so that you don't end up unnecessarily scanning dickbutt.com when you're already looking at their site.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Volmarias posted:

In my experience, at least so far, it usually doesn't. The QR code ends up just being a redirect for the restaurant's website with absolutely no path or query appended. Also missing on the card with the QRCode: the loving address to go to so that you don't end up unnecessarily scanning dickbutt.com when you're already looking at their site.

when you're already looking at dickbutt.com

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Brute Squad posted:

the correct reply is "i don't have a smartphone" anyway

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

look them directly in the eye while holding your smart phone when you say that

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

QR codes are the mark of the beast dontchanow

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Clark Nova posted:

Unless you always pay in cash they've always had your payment info which should be a pretty unique trackable identifier!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

A Man With A Plan posted:

Unless you always pay in cash they've always had your payment info which should be a pretty unique trackable identifier!

as someone who works on this stuff, i'd expect them to be a hell of a lot better at tracking you going to a website with your phone than your actual cc information because pos integration is a pos

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
just don’t pay they can’t track you that way

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

everything falling apart because just in time big braining, and now live menus required so that too many staffers aren't gunned down by customers hearing that the imitation shrimp alfredo is out of stock and also theres no garlic butter for the breadsticks (now one stick per customer)

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Surge pricing. They'll make your food, but you have to pay a variable amount for a server to bring it to you.

No the server doesn't get any of the extra cost.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol
https://twitter.com/illusionofcha0s/status/1447701497119133700

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

If you give someone your admin password, you would not BELIEVE the shenanigans they can get up to!!

PS. Pls give me six figgies from your bug bounty

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

If you give someone your admin password, you would not BELIEVE the shenanigans they can get up to!!

https://twitter.com/jonathandata1/status/1447731328363991045

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

he seems like a winner

https://twitter.com/jonathandata1/status/1447764278820364289

https://twitter.com/arturaugustyni2/status/1447813910833283072

he also retweeted this which lmao

https://twitter.com/mattaustin/status/1447683540691271683

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

You need a snappy name and a domain name to go with it

Like iBleed

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/jonathandata1/status/1447537926263431171

man what a weird meltdown that dude is having though

https://twitter.com/jonathandata1/status/1447582572968566791

https://twitter.com/jonathandata1/status/1447579404100640771

look i've always fought for human rights, which is why i help the DoD (?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Meanwhile, taviso has an aha moment for actual exploits while grabbing salsa at the store.