Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Fatalis is MR24 as well

I'd love to see how they justify that in-universe.

"Congrats hunter, the Guild has approved you to face off against any black dragons that come our way."

"Woah, already? Wow, that was fast. I figured I'd go hunt a tempered Brachydios or a Glaven...."

"Hahahahaha, slow down there Hunter! You're not ready for THAT kind of threat yet. One step at a time."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I had full Fatalis armor before I had like lvl 5 guiding lands on my Iceborne replay lol. Guiding Lands? too spoky? Cataclysmic dragon of death? You got ace hunter with you!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
god drat I played a bunch of Monster Hunter Rise this weekend for the Mega Man thing and it's still good as hell.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
https://twitter.com/monsterhunter/status/1447630591302713345

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Well, at least there'll be months on PC to regrind before Sunbreak.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

loving :rip:

There goes 90% of my motivation to get the PC version.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neo_Crimson posted:

loving :rip:

There goes 90% of my motivation to get the PC version.

At least they said "this time". I guess the copium hope now is for MH6 to launch with it.

Edit: the modders are still optimistic: :v:

https://twitter.com/AsteriskAmpers1/status/1447632388947853317

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 11, 2021

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Is nintendo blocking it for some reason?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Is nintendo blocking it for some reason?

It's either that, or it's too late in development to add it.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I can understand cross play being a technical challenge, but I have no idea why cross saves would not be possible. I don't expect Nintendo would block that since a bunch of games already have steam/switch cross saving, like Civ6 and Hades.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'd say it was Capcom trying to shore up platform sales but cross save is a guaranteed way to sell hella extra PC copies so who knows. Maybe cuz of covid they legit don't have anyone with time to make it happen by launch.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Ojetor posted:

I can understand cross play being a technical challenge, but I have no idea why cross saves would not be possible. I don't expect Nintendo would block that since a bunch of games already have steam/switch cross saving, like Civ6 and Hades.

Are any of those Switch to PC? Or just one-way PC to Switch?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Neo_Crimson posted:

Are any of those Switch to PC? Or just one-way PC to Switch?

Civ6 I believe is cross platform so both ways. Same with Witcher. It’s just a cloud save option so you can save on either platform and immediately load on the other.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
So, I'm a newbie that's working their way through the story missions in MHR. I've unlocked a few sets of armor and weapons maining the two crossbows right now, and I just wanted to know: with the skills available to me, should I go with an Attack Boost 2, Critical Eye 2 build, or go with a Critical Eye 4 build and no Attack Boost?

Yes, I understand the damage is pathetic, and I'll probably end up replacing them by the time I hit five stars or whatever, but I'm fine with taking my time.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Didn’t ab4 give some crit anyhow?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Mister Facetious posted:

So, I'm a newbie that's working their way through the story missions in MHR. I've unlocked a few sets of armor and weapons maining the two crossbows right now, and I just wanted to know: with the skills available to me, should I go with an Attack Boost 2, Critical Eye 2 build, or go with a Critical Eye 4 build and no Attack Boost?

Yes, I understand the damage is pathetic, and I'll probably end up replacing them by the time I hit five stars or whatever, but I'm fine with taking my time.

You'll probably get more mileage out of Attack Boost 2/Crit Eye 2 unless your bowguns have relatively high natural crit chance. But also... why not both? :getin:

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

Basically, the difference between the two is:
2 attack boost, which is +6 flat attack
2 crit eye, which is 10 affinity

Attack boost is better in the early game when your weapons raw attack is lower, as it's a flat attack boost. Affinity gets better as your weapon's raw gets higher as it's a % boost. Affinity is your chance to do a crit. Crits are 25% extra attack.

So for example, for a weapon with 100 raw:
AB2: 100 + 6 = 106
CE2: 100 + (100*.25*.1) = 102.5

Now if we increase that weapons raw to 200, CE catches up some:
AB2: 206
CE2: 205

AB actually got a buff in Rise as higher levels now also include a % based increase. AB4 is now a 5% boost with an extra 7 raw attack added on top. You should aim for this early on. Affinity becomes really powerful later on with skills like weakness exploit and crit boost.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rise footage starting to show up today (demo is out tomorrow)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIJulNpkznE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyD_3C4IFig

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hell yeah 144fps with everything maxed out no problem.

Easy 60fps on the steam deck yessssss

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Hell yeah, can't wait to play on both 3440x1440 and Steam Deck.

I like double dipping between Switch and PC, as good a reason as any to play it all over again.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Demo's up on steam, go grab ! Only 6.4GB.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Wow the game runs like a dream. Gunlance is very much like MHW but the lunge isn't a distance closer anymore :( I will have to get used to it all over again. There seems to be a bunch of new abilities but I don't know if they are available in the demo?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Wow the game runs like a dream. Gunlance is very much like MHW but the lunge isn't a distance closer anymore :( I will have to get used to it all over again. There seems to be a bunch of new abilities but I don't know if they are available in the demo?

If it's like the Switch demo, they're not.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Electric Phantasm posted:

If it's like the Switch demo, they're not.

It’s exactly the switch demo.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
its beautiful

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Rise Gunlance is the best GL has every been but it requires access to other shelling types and/or Blast Dash which the demo does not have.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

its beautiful

It really is. I am pleasantly surprised by how nice the game looks, Capcom did a hell of a job making it fit on the Switch.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Does the PC demo also have a limit of 30 plays and/or a way to circumvent it?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Alxprit posted:

Does the PC demo also have a limit of 30 plays and/or a way to circumvent it?

doesn't look like it has the limit

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

It's got no limit on it at all. There's a disclaimer in small writing saying it's unlimited but Capcom reserves right to pull the demo at any time without reason.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Played the demo, did three hunts, got to kill innocent animals with the weapon of true Monster Hunters, the Switch Axe, you get a dog and there's some stuff with grappling hooks. Sold.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm trying to decide what weapon to focus on for restarting on PC, but I fear I will not be able to resist the siren call of switch axe, the most perfect weapon. The power of both axe and sword.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Might be the first RPG I've ever played where I'm bothering to use buff/debuff items beyond potion and antidote.

:iia:

Putting those CoD skills to use by flashbanging a dino right before I light em up. :hellyeah:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rise Gunlance is the perfect weapon and it made it very difficult for me when I started playing World because there was nothing that could measure up.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
There's a chance I'll double dip and pick this up on pc. I remember forcing myself to learn the gunlance and finding myself loving it before having other games take up my time. Maybe PC will be what gets gunlance as my second main weapon.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Gotta say, the little preview of what changing the graphical settings will look like is Real Good, and I'd like to see it become a standard feature.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Personally I want to learn Charge Blade even if it's, according to what I believe is the general consensus, the worst it's ever been in the series, in Rise.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

World/Iceborne GL talk. This is a very fun mod: Schinkikamis Reworked Gunlance LIGHT. It does a number of things like adding some guard points but the biggest change is that instead of having 3 separate GL flow in Wide, Long, Normal there's a single unified GL type that allows you to use the elements of all three flows as you need to. All GLs are converted to Long, but a Long which has elements of each of the 3 types.

It balances pretty well and is a ton of fun to play. The one unbalanced aspect I felt was that you get access to some GL styles earlier than in the base game - where base game may let have have say Wide first of the lvl 5 GLs, the mod will make that a Long 5 with access to all 3 styles.

Check it out if you're playing on PC, highly recommended. Suggest using this LIGHT version, the base mod has a bunch of more unbalanced stuff in it. It's very stable. I went from the end of World LR through HR and to the Iceborne endgame with it, no bugs.

Here's a speed runner using it against AT Velkhana:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73jUme1n-kM

Also I wish there were more such weapon mods on PC. This is very thoughtfully done.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Alxprit posted:

Personally I want to learn Charge Blade even if it's, according to what I believe is the general consensus, the worst it's ever been in the series, in Rise.

Rise CB felt fine for the short time I used it other than the Ultra seemingly having a broader spread than World, not sure if it really was. But that was good motivation to use the Super instead.

GU CB has a bad rep because it nerfed the Ultra by draining shield and changed up some of the flows. But I thought it more fun in the long run than the more powerful World incarnation because it made you use more of the moveset and you weren't just Ultra spamming all mission. Bad consensus opinion doesn't mean less fun going by that limited sample.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't think CB is the worst it's ever been, nor have I seen that opinion shared much...