Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Also lol gently caress, suddenly realizing the destruction of fall peak color season is up there with "Hey remember how you used to have to scrape bugs off your windshield?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Minenfeld! posted:

It's really hit certain types of trees in New England harder than others. Sycamores in particular seem hosed up.

Part of this is that we've lost September as a transition month over the past decade. The sorts of atmospheric transitions that used to take place are either bumped into October or November or simply flip on a dime.

I remember Halloweens in the 90s when you'd be out but the temps were in the 40s or 30s Fahrenheit. We probably won't be getting lower than 40F until at least the end of the month.

I remember Halloweens in NE OH being sleet and snow through the 90s but a couple years ago before we moved, it was just light jacket weather every year.

Also the leaves in our yard in WNC basically went from green to fallen in a week without any color changes. Now the woods is just half green and half bare. It's bizarre when you take a step back and actually remember the details. On a related note, I've had surprising luck when talking to boomers about climate change by asking when the last time they had to clean bugs off their car. I remember having to scrape that poo poo off my parents' cars as a kid but don't think I've had to do it once as an adult.

edit: you fucker

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Also lol gently caress, suddenly realizing the destruction of fall peak color season is up there with "Hey remember how you used to have to scrape bugs off your windshield?"

Aaaaahahaha lol you loving assholes, I just did this today and then I come in here and you're all talking it up. Came home for my brothers birthday, looking out over the lake, "holy poo poo dude, the fall colors are gross." Everything is muted and brown-grey-green. Nothing is safe. Every bit of reality cries out for attention and I'm like wtf how are we not all insane like dogs subjected to constant whistles. AHHHHH LOL

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

It's also worth noting how completely hosed the minimum daily temps are. That's where huge amounts of warming has been taking place.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Minenfeld! posted:

It's also worth noting how completely hosed the minimum daily temps are. That's where huge amounts of warming has been taking place.

Yeah that poo poo feeds back into itself too, without these temperature swings stuff never gets a chance to cool off. It's super noticeable if you live in a well-insulated place that happens to get a lot of sunlight, it takes like 5-6 hours after sunset before it finally finishes off-valving all the heat buildup from the day because the temperature difference is much lesser than it used to be.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Car Hater posted:

Aaaaahahaha lol you loving assholes, I just did this today and then I come in here and you're all talking it up. Came home for my brothers birthday, looking out over the lake, "holy poo poo dude, the fall colors are gross." Everything is muted and brown-grey-green. Nothing is safe. Every bit of reality cries out for attention and I'm like wtf how are we not all insane like dogs subjected to constant whistles. AHHHHH LOL

I’ve had tinnitus for years.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

For as long as I can remember during and after summer when the ground has had time to dry, sunset across California's central valley always has this beautiful orange and pink dust induced spray of color across the horizon. I wonder how much topsoil blowing away each of these pretty evenings represents.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

WINTER IS CUMMING
https://twitter.com/severeweatherEU/status/1447384225867603970

couldn't have picked a better time for random areas to see abnormal blizzards and freezing with fuel shortages happening all over due to a near breaking supply chain

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Rectal Death Adept posted:

its fine

i have been informed that goons think the market will crash all of the time and have been wrong therefore the market could never crash

similar to how people predict climate catastrophe all of the time but the climate is fine and could never get worse

the implied necessity of describing a time frame for catastrophe when discussing this stuff is an annoying quirk of how our brains understand risk

bedpan posted:

The Republican party's climate cooking political position is a crime against humanity.

:yeah:

e: also at least I know the weird fall colors around here are from when it was 118f(48c) and the sunlight torched the trees oh and a town in BC burnt down

Shifty Nipples has issued a correction as of 03:55 on Oct 12, 2021

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Stereotype posted:

apparently Europe is having a huge gas shortage right now. Russia also isn’t selling them any since the EU is insisting on short term contracts because they want to think they are successfully transitioning away from fossil fuels. so now they are burning a ton of coal to make up the difference, lol.

huh drat I wonder if there was a clean* energy source they were using without issue that suddenly got phased out after 2011

* not perfectly carbon neutral but you know, much better

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Super stoked thinking about what winter is going to be like after losing my electricity for a week last year since Texas has done gently caress all to get ready for the next round. Especially during an energy crisis. Lmao.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

SKULL.GIF posted:

We're seeing exactly the same issues up here in the Great Lakes. Right now looking outside my window like half the trees are naked after having a 10-day peak color period about 2 weeks ago and the other half are still green, though a dull dark green instead of vibrant.

I think it was last year, here around Chicago we had half the trees with most of their green leaves maybe into November. Then there was a really sticky coating of snow that hit us and they all basically dumped their leaves below them in a sad pile overnight when the snow melted off the next day.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

discoukulele posted:

Super stoked thinking about what winter is going to be like after losing my electricity for a week last year since Texas has done gently caress all to get ready for the next round. Especially during an energy crisis. Lmao.

Something along these lines, I'd fathom:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yep. At least around here, this has actually been a slow, ongoing process for a while now, although this year is really noticeably bad. I know a lot of the bigger maple sugar shacks up in MA, NH, and VT rely on fall visitors and they've been posting messages for a few years letting people know that they should expect peak color season a few weeks later.

The problem is that peak color is all about timing and it can't just keep getting shoved back towards November forever. Trees "expect" the temperature change to come with the change in light levels and freezes will usually cause them to just drop, so the whole thing is a bust without a consistent cool period between summer and winter.

climate change killing the best season is really rather unsettling imo

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

discoukulele posted:

oh yeah i forgot about that. lmao

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/RichWinter3/status/1447255721054253057

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

At least we'll have photographs to remember.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

climate change is good

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/rohanarezel/status/1447794488403906561

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Lol

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

he is such a miserable little poo poo

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Earths largest extinction event is right now

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I've a feeling that the first toxic algal bloom that results in a mass casualty event will be met with :shrug: because we've already normalized mass death with COVID.

Or, it'll be answered by formally declaring nature an enemy of mankind, instead of an occasional hindrance to The Almighty Number. Can't have deadly algal blooms if there's no organic life left in the oceans! :downs:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

toggle posted:

he is such a miserable little poo poo

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Calvin rules

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

A bit more bittersweet now that we've learned planting trees isn't enough. Even if we had some magic wand to grow/mature them more quickly, it's almost like the planet wanted certain/specific trees in certain/specific places for a reason and merely replacing them, even sometimes with the same species, doesn't/won't fix what's broken.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Evil_Greven posted:

i mean it was longer ago than that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lgzz-L7GFg

lyndon big loving johnson sent a thing to congress about it and there were reports and poo poo at least by 1965
https://www-legacy.dge.carnegiescie...Environment.pdf
(i write this from my shelter due to tornadoes in loving october)
ahh... hahhaha

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

h ahah god damnit gently caress

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

its my stepdaughters birthday today

in 23 years shell be as old as i am now. the planet will be...irrevocably shittier than it is now. i wonder if she too will be breaking down as i am now.

no moral

kater
Nov 16, 2010

so is toxic algae bloom vs unstoppable world fire how we keep oxygen at a level that sustains human population?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Has anyone come forward as having bought the ad for this or having made the video? It was very good.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Has anyone come forward as having bought the ad for this or having made the video? It was very good.

Do you not know as the site admin, or are you just asking whether you'd be sharing private info in thanking them directly?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Mr. Lobe posted:

Do you not know as the site admin, or are you just asking whether you'd be sharing private info in thanking them directly?
I might be able to figure it out if I investigated, but that's not something I'd do just to satisfy my curiosity. It's certainly not listed next to the ad or anything - you don't even need an account to buy an ad. Even if I did, it still doesn't tell me if they made the video, which is my real question.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

cspam willed into existence once we reached a critical mass of doomposting

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Dum Cumpster posted:

I think it was last year, here around Chicago we had half the trees with most of their green leaves maybe into November. Then there was a really sticky coating of snow that hit us and they all basically dumped their leaves below them in a sad pile overnight when the snow melted off the next day.

same thing happened up in the mountains down here in southern new mexico last October

the leaves hadn’t even died and left the trees yet, and we got a super wet snow that just dragged all the trees down low

woke up in the middle of the night in my warehouse to the loud BANG of a transformer exploding a couple blocks over, the carrier line snapping, and all my UPS’ fluctuating beeping on and off

during the day, I went to open the gate for a friend’s camper and I saw electricity arcing from one side to the other

learned how useful jumper cables are at reconnecting downed lines, I tell you what

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

blatman posted:

cspam willed into existence once we reached a critical mass of doomposting

when a subforum and the climate lmao at each other very much

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Rime posted:

And for the audibly inclined:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNjWOCdony4

Enjoy the LMAO's, bring your understanding of sarcasm and nuance, please do not endorse violence of any kind in here. :tipshat:

it's so hosed up Fox has blocked this video in my country :argh:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

go gently caress yourself Alex!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shillenberger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

A bit more bittersweet now that we've learned planting trees isn't enough. Even if we had some magic wand to grow/mature them more quickly, it's almost like the planet wanted certain/specific trees in certain/specific places for a reason and merely replacing them, even sometimes with the same species, doesn't/won't fix what's broken.

I'm not a climate scientist or anything, but another problem seems to be, the CO2 in the air isnt just from cut down forests, its from fossil products we dug out of the ground. Even if we did roll back society and reforest the world, there'd still be a well over baseline amount of CO2 in the air right?