Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

sean10mm posted:

It's creepy either way, but isn't the "covert" pedo stuff in fiction usually more like "looks 12, is actually 600 years old so Actually It's Fine"?

Yeah after I posted that I realized it was backwards. I guess this is more of a case of “born sexy yesterday”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Steve Yun posted:

Kinda weird, isn’t Star Trek the antithesis of libertarian

Never underestimate people's ability to completely misunderstand the (sub)text of a thing they enjoy, I suppose

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

david_a posted:

There’s literally a character who’s a full grown woman that’s only a few years old.

The Voyager writers are so smart they decided women of this species can only have one child and then they die.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Arglebargle III posted:

The Voyager writers are so smart they decided women of this species can only have one child and then they die.

Ugh, that whole character is so loving gross in retrospect. Can't we just have a cute, short haired adult woman* who doesn't die, like in DS9?

(*Janeway is beautiful but way too intimidating for me; also she's randomly written as incredibly scary, sometimes as a badass and sometimes as a weird psycho).
(*gently caress I just remembered 7-of-9, but that was also incredibly weird in it's own way. Look, Kira rocked, okay?)

Also the original attention to the whole Trek-Pedo thing seems like it mostly was contained to about 2005, until recently I think:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/pedophilia-and-star-trek_b_5857

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Starting on God Emperor of Dune and this is already about 10x more fun than the previous book. So many Duncans and big worm Emperor, and d wolves years before penny arcade!
The previous book was super dull until the last 50 pages where the 10 year old boy with the beefswelling becomes Worm Venom out of nowhere, running around at 50mph and punching people's heads off.

It did have a really yuck bit where the other 10 year old is married and her adult husband is understandably put off like "well you're too young for us to start having kids anyway" and she scolds him and says no she's actually a 10000 year old dragon preborn

It's a shame the films will never get to God Emperor, it's kinda nuts theyr taking almost 3 hours to do half of the lynch dune story (which I just saw the spicediver version of).
Barely anything happens in the first half of Dune other than setup which you could skip and just introduce as it happens
And thinking about it far less happens in the last half

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 11, 2021

safe harbor
Jul 18, 2004
EMO AS FUCK
I can't wait to see this on my ipad at work during my lunch break.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah God-Emperor is better than Children.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!
i'd love to see Children and God Emperor as films, but one can only hope they're sensible enough to add 8-10 years to the twins' ages.

you don't need a big age gap for ghanima and farrad'n to resent each other and let ghanima assert her divinity with a big speech, an arranged marriage has got to piss a living goddess off enough as it is

i guess this would be less of a problem if women were capable of agency outside of a formal position as a member of the bene gessirit in herbert's writing

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 12, 2021

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If you have a decent sized HDTV at home and want the theatrical experience, just sit on the floor in front of your TV. The act of craning your head up slightly plus having the screen large enough that you have to move your eyes a little to see all the corners feels cinematic. I did this during Lawrence of Arabia when I got the Blu-ray and it felt surprisingly fun

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I think the pre-born are supposed to be intentionally off-putting since they are essentially adult minds in child bodies but it definitely veers off into territory where I'm less creeped out by the concept than I am by the author who wrote it

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

AnEdgelord posted:

I think the pre-born are supposed to be intentionally off-putting since they are essentially adult minds in child bodies but it definitely veers off into territory where I'm less creeped out by the concept than I am by the author who wrote it

a similar thing crops up in Kubera (extreme spoilers mostly, good webcomic): Once some of the main characters go on a somewhat mysterious tour of moments in the universe's history, they see how Sura attacks on the ancient humans (who normally regained memories of previous lives at a coming of age ceremony on reaching adulthood) led over time to extreme levels of trauma and resentment over death at the hands of superpowerful intelligent monsters.

This lead over millennia to many humans' previous lifetimes coming to emerge in childhood, which is regarded as a massive crisis in its own right. Sexuality is briefly alluded to but not focused on; more emphasis is put on demanding their full rights and inheritance from previous lifetimes and pursuing goals from those lives without any chance to form a personality, social ties, and priorities distinct to their new life. The Nastika King Yaksha, who is friendly to humans, remarks that once the last real children stop being born he might not be able to stand (ancient) humanity.

Humanity in the time of the series itself is, at least on the surface, much more similar to what we think of as humans.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 12, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Steve Yun posted:

If you have a decent sized HDTV at home and want the theatrical experience, just sit on the floor in front of your TV. The act of craning your head up slightly plus having the screen large enough that you have to move your eyes a little to see all the corners feels cinematic. I did this during Lawrence of Arabia when I got the Blu-ray and it felt surprisingly fun

I have a massive bean bag especially for this purpose, and it really does work pretty well, yeah

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Uh oh the scifi author has taken a break from worm king shenanigans and he's decided to tackle homosexuality for some reason

Oh no.

Aw geez

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
A couple friends have complained that Dune was excessively loud, one friend even had to plug his fingers into his ears

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Isn't there a bit where Duncan gets all affronted by two of the Fish Speakers being lesbian and Moneo gives him a condescending "I think you've got some real growing up to do"? Feels almost like Herbert acknowledging the homophobic elements in the Baron and apologising/back pedalling a little.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Moneo just went into a big speech about how letos soldiers are women because male armies lead to homosexuality which leads to sadism and rape.
It's a super hosed up bit of serious, philosophically considered homophobia.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Isn't there a bit where Duncan gets all affronted by two of the Fish Speakers being lesbian and Moneo gives him a condescending "I think you've got some real growing up to do"? Feels almost like Herbert acknowledging the homophobic elements in the Baron and apologising/back pedalling a little.
Duncan definitely goes on a boomer rant against the gays and is shut down, but the problem is that the responses against him also get into very strange biotruthy territory. Like, there's a thing about how "male armies are fundamentally rapist" vs. women armies that you can almost see there being a point regarding cultural conditioning of males, violence, etc., but then it starts to speculate about gay stuff being a behavior that arises out of or in response to that rather than simply an orientation. I do think there are points throughout the series where Frank kind of winks at the audience and admits that he doesn't really know poo poo about biotruths and is just coming up with ideas that are interesting to him, but that part is definitely not great given his (alleged, but pretty clear) real life discomfort with homosexuality.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
It should be noted that after God Emperor and its rants about how female armies could never become sadistic rapists like male armies, there is in fact a female army of sadistic rapists that becomes a huge plot point

they're the same ones that have the mind control sex power

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!
It might just be projecting what I want to believe, but I'd like to think Herbert would be just as happy to be wrong about this stuff. Even if he'd be easily poisoned by some of the worst memes that emerged after his death.

I read some Hemingway essays in a book called "A Moveable Feast" that a coworker left in a breakroom once. The most memorable passage concerned his feelings about homosexuality, and to my memory at least it was a really great insight for like 1950 or whenever he wrote it. Basically he said his gay friends were some of the best people he'd ever known, but he had mixed feelings because fear of rape by other men was a thing that hung over his adolescence and that of most young men. Basically boiled down a lot of that hatred and fear into an honest statement of what was going on with his feelings- the sort of thing that made his reputation I guess.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Hodgepodge posted:

It might just be projecting what I want to believe, but I'd like to think Herbert would be just as happy to be wrong about this stuff. Even if he'd be easily poisoned by some of the worst memes that emerged after his death.

I have always felt like 60s sci-fi commonly had elements like this, where it was hard to pin an author down on an ideological question because their books deliberately put in more than one view on a subject.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I mean, the vast majority of people in general do not have anything resembling a coherent ideological structure, it’s just that sci fi and fantasy authors have a tendency to just let it all hang out.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

AnEdgelord posted:

It should be noted that after God Emperor and its rants about how female armies could never become sadistic rapists like male armies, there is in fact a female army of sadistic rapists that becomes a huge plot point

they're the same ones that have the mind control sex power

They are also descended from his army of women in particular. A thing he knew would happen. The God Emperor is always lying to you, except for when he isn't.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
As a queer man myself I was never that bothered by those parts in God Emperor- if Herbert asked a mainstream psychologist from the 60's "whats up with homosexuality? What causes it?" Academic opinion of the time wouldn't be much different from what he wrote.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I have always felt like 60s sci-fi commonly had elements like this, where it was hard to pin an author down on an ideological question because their books deliberately put in more than one view on a subject.

I mean, that's actually just stories. Even religious literature is like that.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yadoppsi posted:

As a queer man myself I was never that bothered by those parts in God Emperor- if Herbert asked a mainstream psychologist from the 60's "whats up with homosexuality? What causes it?" Academic opinion of the time wouldn't be much different from what he wrote.
I brought it up in the GBS thread I think, forgive me if I'm repeating myself, but from reading about his gay son it sounds like Frank had some very deep personal discomfort with homosexuality that seriously strained their relationship (and that's maybe a nice way of putting it).

And I'm not disagreeing with you or anything. I think he had feelings that were probably shared by an awful amount of dudes born in literally 1920, and his stuff about homosexuality in God Emperor does seem like he's genuinely grasping to try to make sense of it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

Moneo just went into a big speech about how letos soldiers are women because male armies lead to homosexuality which leads to sadism and rape.
It's a super hosed up bit of serious, philosophically considered homophobia.

Oof, don't know how I forgot that. That's pretty hosed up.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Oof, don't know how I forgot that. That's pretty hosed up.

i'll save myself the trouble of looking it up and assume it's both more nuanced than that and yet also still exactly that gross

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

i'll save myself the trouble of looking it up and assume it's both more nuanced than that and yet also still exactly that gross

The only nuance, I think, is whether you choose to believe that Herbert wants the reader to agree with Leto, or if you're meant to be critical of his supposed wisdom. It's a few paragraphs of really concentrated virulent homophobia.

Yadoppsi posted:

This is a fair point but if it matters at all God Emperor was published in 1981. Still a homophobic time but the gay rights movement had begun by that point and Herbert was almost certainly aware of it as a social identity and not just a pathology

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

A couple friends have complained that Dune was excessively loud, one friend even had to plug his fingers into his ears

I saw this in an IMAX theatre with a pretty big sound system and didn't think it was that bad. I don't recall any scene having the prostate-tickling low bass of BR2049, at least. Don't get me wrong, it's a big-feeling, often overwhelming in scale movie (especially in IMAX) but didn't think anything was plug-your-ears loud.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Cognac McCarthy posted:

The only nuance, I think, is whether you choose to believe that Herbert wants the reader to agree with Leto, or if you're meant to be critical of his supposed wisdom. It's a few paragraphs of really concentrated virulent homophobia.

This is a fair point but if it matters at all God Emperor was published in 1981. Still a homophobic time but the gay rights movement had begun by that point and Herbert was almost certainly aware of it as a social identity and not just a pathology

As somebody who remembers the 1980s this feels overly generous to the attitudes of the 1980s. It might have been MORE homophobic in a lot of places than the 1970s. Reagan got away with letting AIDS kill everyone for years because the [insert relevant slur] had it coming. poo poo, Lynch made Dune MORE overtly homophobic when he made his movie about it!

Broadly speaking you're meant to be critical of Leto II's supposed wisdom because his entire gimmick is manipulating humanity to achieve some end only he can see. Plus everything he said about female armies not being rapey because of the lack of man gay something something is disproved in the next book that jumps straight into rape-powered conquest: the vagina years. I have no idea if he meant to do that all along, or if he looked back and went "Yeah, maybe I need to change course on that line of thinking, huh?"

I think the real answer was Herbert was homophobic and that comes through, but also he was a weird guy who was constantly loving with the reader and just coming up with weird poo poo. I think just the fact that Leto II had a female army AT ALL was meant to be a WHOA THERE poo poo'S GETTING CRAZY, HUH?! move in 1981, but it doesn't land like it used to now that women graduate the Army's psychotic Ranger School regularly.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 13, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!
should we believe leto:

yea: collective genetic memory of all his ancestors, is the living history of humanity

cons: lived 10,000 years without having sex

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

"Is Leto II A Volcel" - the greatest thread in the history of forums, locked by a moderator after 12,239 pages of heated debate,

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!
we call herbert kinky for the mind control kung fu sex, but to be honest basically any other sci-fi author would have let leto gently caress

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Eventually cumbrain bestows prescience. George Costanza had only reached first stage.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

sean10mm posted:

As somebody who remembers the 1980s this feels overly generous to the attitudes of the 1980s. It might have been MORE homophobic in a lot of places than the 1970s. Reagan got away with letting AIDS kill everyone for years because the [insert relevant slur] had it coming. poo poo, Lynch made Dune MORE overtly homophobic when he made his movie about it!

Broadly speaking you're meant to be critical of Leto II's supposed wisdom because his entire gimmick is manipulating humanity to achieve some end only he can see. Plus everything he said about female armies not being rapey because of the lack of man gay something something is disproved in the next book that jumps straight into rape-powered conquest: the vagina years. I have no idea if he meant to do that all along, or if he looked back and went "Yeah, maybe I need to change course on that line of thinking, huh?"

I think the real answer was Herbert was homophobic and that comes through, but also he was a weird guy who was constantly loving with the reader and just coming up with weird poo poo. I think just the fact that Leto II had a female army AT ALL was meant to be a WHOA THERE poo poo'S GETTING CRAZY, HUH?! move in 1981, but it doesn't land like it used to now that women graduate the Army's psychotic Ranger School regularly.

Homophobia was an accepted facet of popular entertainment in the 80s. Reagan totally ignored AIDS because it wasn't killing his preferred voting block yet, just homosexual men and foreign/poor people of color. Having lived in that era and watching clips from that time recently, it's shocking what mainstream entertainment thought acceptable then vs. now.

Frank Herbert was a man of his time. A lot of now unpalatable views that were matter of course back in the day. We can either chose keep embracing the good and reject the bad or throw it out all together, but not everything Leto II monologued can be covered with "he's a tyrant, that's not Herbert's real opinion".

Having said that, the entire plot of Dune is a reaction to machinations of a group of women. It starts with a quote from a woman, the first scene is two women talking, the last scene of the original book has two women talking about a third woman in one of the cattiest things ever written in science fiction. It was a progressive work in a lot of ways but also full of cringe inducing plots and ideas.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah it's kinda interesting that there's so much gender essentialism in the books, and yet when you have preborns, abominations etc., Herbert didn't really investigate the gender ramifications inherent in that concept. I wonder, on the other hand, if anyone has a take about Alia's abomination being a sort of veiled struggle with gender identity vis-a-vis the Baron.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Sure his women characters are literally manipulative witches obsessed with the perfect man, but at least they have speaking lines!

Instead of abolishing the prison planets, we should just hire more women sardukar

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I never quite know how to resolve the biotruthiness of the Bene Gesserit. Because the entire idea of their mystic powers is rooted in gender essentialism, but also they loudly say gently caress biotruths and spend thousands of years working to get rid of them.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

what I always took from the BG was that yes biotruths exist but we are going to control them, not let them control us / society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Steve Yun posted:

I thought it was borderline aggressively loud

According to my Apple Watch we peaked at 101dB during the movie so lol