Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Where do The Loonatics fit into this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Every single show has a massive fan somewhere. Nostalgia is a helluva drug.

All the TMNT knockoffs are a real weird thing in retrospect because they all kinda have their own spin on it. And most were made to sell toys. Mighty Ducks played up the fancy tech and added sports gimmicks, Street Sharks and Extreme Dinosaurs played up the 90s attitude and grotesque 'cool' designs. (the Street Sharks toys were very chewable)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4HLBfTcAUg

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Don't forget Biker Mice from Mars

Also in the video game world, Battletoads

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pyrotoad posted:

Easy, they're millennial XTREEM TMNT (like that late season where they super mutated into roid turtles).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's a whole era of XTREME cartoons with wildly mixed results, given Extreme Ghostbusters was actually pretty good, and Batman Beyond was great.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Gi Joe EXTREME was loving dire, like pure distilled Liefeldium. I dare anyone to find something worse.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

FilthyImp posted:

Gi Joe EXTREME was loving dire, like pure distilled Liefeldium. I dare anyone to find something worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCcY3JG27Xs

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Pyrotoad posted:

next to Sonic Underground

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And the Mummies Alive reminded me that Mutant League actually had a cartoon, and I'm surprised how much violence they were able to get away with by going 'lol not human'.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

Don't forget Biker Mice from Mars

Also in the video game world, Battletoads

Ah, Battletoads… A pretty good game idea completely ruined by the localization team making it so hard it’s completely unplayable.

To this day I have yet to meet anybody able to beat the first biking level without save states or other forms of cheating.

E: Look at this poo poo!

https://youtu.be/1mqxMb7xzN8

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 13, 2021

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I beat that level as a kid. Never underestimate childhood persistence, reflexes, and ample summer vacation free time. I quit right after that, though, upon realizing the rest of the game was going to be as much of a slog.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oh, can never forget Toxic Crusaders!

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

readingatwork posted:

Ah, Battletoads… A pretty good game idea completely ruined by the localization team making it so hard it’s completely unplayable.

To this day I have yet to meet anybody able to beat the first biking level without save states or other forms of cheating.

The arcade game was absolutely amazing though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHz4zF1arKY

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 13, 2021

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNc_AAyjFdk

Never don't revisit this

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently the IRL team still owns the copyright to the Mighty Ducks main character as their mascot.

Ducktales 2017 actually did have an episode that outright referenced it in all but name, complete with the Gummi Juice being a major plot point.

Yeah! Retroactive back door pilot. For real though it would be cool to do modern Gummi Bears with references to the original as their history

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

live action remake of gummi bears where they're played by actual gummi bears

e1: gummi bears was one of the shows i was allowed to watch

e2: holy poo poo it's all on youtube too

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actual gummi bears and gummi worms paint a terrifying picture of the gummi universe

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

readingatwork posted:

There's a guy who can beat it blindfolded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIsy8HaaeK4

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Are parallel universes involved?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

ConfusedUs posted:

There's a guy who can beat it blindfolded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIsy8HaaeK4

Someone check his midichlorian count.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Is this what became of Larrikins

https://youtu.be/7PxRHBCHaF8

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

i want to know at what point in bakshi's vegas adventure did he climb up a building and break through someone's window, because i know it happened

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently the IRL team still owns the copyright to the Mighty Ducks main character as their mascot.

When the new ownership acquired the team, they ran a fan poll to see if fans wanted Wildwing to stay or be replaced. Overwhelmingly, they voted to keep him.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, how was the IRL Mighty Ducks team popular enough to get both their own set of movies and an unrelated cartoon show?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The team was named after the movie, as I recall, not vice versa.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Easy mistake to make considering there was all that Angels in the Outfield fuckery going on at the same time

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Phylodox posted:

True. Eisner-era Diz decided buying a sports team was great synergy

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Phylodox posted:

Ah, not a big sports guy to be honest so I wasn’t aware. Nevermind then

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The 90s was a crazy decade for sports and pop culture.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The 90s was a crazy decade for sports and pop culture.

Not always good, but definitely always crazy.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

FilthyImp posted:

True. Eisner-era Diz decided buying a sports team was great synergy

The Eisner Era was incredible and terrifying.

I miss it.

The Bobs are just boring.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Zero One posted:

The Eisner Era was incredible and terrifying.
Lol. Nothing says Eisner like all the paint fading from facades and being layered in dirt because "Why spend $5 on that no one sees it or cares!"

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

FilthyImp posted:

Lol. Nothing says Eisner like all the paint fading from facades and being layered in dirt because "Why spend $5 on that no one sees it or cares!"

That's the bad Late Eisner Era (LEE). Early Eisner Era (EEE) and Mid Eisner Era (MEE) gave us new parks and attractions around the world, Disney Quest, the Disney Channel 90s cartoons, Disney sports teams, Disney cruise ships, and the second golden age of animation.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
There's a marked decline as Eisner goes all Robespierre and begins purging his inner circle. Of course, the initial blow was the death of Frank Wells.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Zero One posted:

That's the bad Late Eisner Era (LEE). Early Eisner Era (EEE) and Mid Eisner Era (MEE) gave us new parks and attractions around the world, Disney Quest, the Disney Channel 90s cartoons, Disney sports teams, Disney cruise ships, and the second golden age of animation.

Sounds like there's an unfortunate turn from 'Let's actually capitalise on all this IP we have laying around that people can't get enough of' to 'I want the maximum money for minimum effort'.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sounds like there's an unfortunate turn from 'Let's actually capitalise on all this IP we have laying around that people can't get enough of' to 'I want the maximum money for minimum effort'.
Ah, you too remember the Direct to VHS Disney Renaissance! With such hits as "the opposite of what happened in the first movie" and "Poochy joins the crew!"

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And 'whoops we incited a war'

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

it's kinda weird how all 3 of those descriptors could probably be applied to a majority of the Direct to Video sequels

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That's kinda the point, yes.

At least The Lion King 2 followed up ripping off Hamlet (and Kimba) with ripping off Romeo and Juliet. And then the Lion King 1.5 ripped off Rozencrantz and Gildenstern Are Dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Weren’t those also the ones that they tried drumming up FOMO for by threatening to lock them away in the vault?