Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I think the main problem with the Merc mode is that way too many of them are garbage without a comp. 2 "synergy" mercs are not worth it, 3 is workable but you are gimping yourself if any of them die. You probably need at least 4 so it makes sense. As a F2P player (with 1.5k gold tossed towards packs) I still don't have 4 mercs of any one synergy.

My best party ignores most synergies and just goes for standalone strong mercs. Incidentally I only run Grom as my only Legendary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
yeah, the feeling of shame as you watch someone playing a p2w comp which effortlessly destroys it's opponents and comparing that to the crap you can run is very strong.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I got to 5000 rating in pvp tonight fighting only bots. Literally 20 wins in a row. What is blizzard doing?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Is there a way in-game to view the abilities of mercenaries you haven't crafted yet?

I want to see if it's worth leveling someone but can't for the life of me figure out how to see if their abilities synergize at all.with characters I don't have yet.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Surely somewhere has the data. Best I got is https://outof.cards/hearthstone/mercenaries/party-builder/ but it doesn't have the upgrades to the abilities.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Lister posted:

I got to 5000 rating in pvp tonight fighting only bots. Literally 20 wins in a row. What is blizzard doing?

I think they are prioritizing getting people into games and unless you’re running 6 level 30s it’s very hard to match you against equivalent comps so you see lots of bots.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Spent some gold I had and got Diablo, Mannoroth and Ratharion; Mercs seems fun, though I can't imagine spending even the $30 on the welcome bundle or whatever since there's an entirely real possibility I would get actual zero coins or mercs even slightly relevant to the guys I started with and liked.

Seeing so many orange popups is nice though. :v:

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Mercenaries trip report : I finished the Barrens bounties fairly easily with Cariel, Cairne, Tyrande, Samuro, Blink Fox, and Brightwing, but I did drop a few thousand gold on packs so I was able to upgrade some of their abilities. Along the way I learned that synergies are a thing in this game and that I didn't really have any apart from some fortunate timings on BF and BW's abilities. I chose them because they were cuties but it worked well in the end.

I didn't really follow any of the preview material for it so I wasn't sure what to expect except that it was rumoured to be just another gacha, but I was pretty satisfied how it turned out with regards to the strategy side of things and I'll definitely spend more time on it. One thing's for sure though, with so many characters in the pool all of the token rewards from packs and other sources are spread pretty drat thinly. Once I learn more about the synergies and start getting ideas for potential parties I think I'm going to hit a brick wall if I want to actually craft a mercenary I don't have, much moreso than if I was chasing a few epic or legendary cards for a deck in the regular mode.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

L0cke17 posted:

Is there a way in-game to view the abilities of mercenaries you haven't crafted yet?

I want to see if it's worth leveling someone but can't for the life of me figure out how to see if their abilities synergize at all.with characters I don't have yet.

This was posted on the official blog and should be everything you're looking for https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms/gallery/dz/DZTV63OQI11Q1633962629130.pdf

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
If you've got a full campfire and you get a Stranger you just get a few coins for that particular Merc.

RatHat posted:

Yeah Rokara has a task like that too

Meanwhile Cairne has one that is named correctly but isn't triggering for me.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Oct 14, 2021

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Lister posted:

in mercs? how do you know if you're fighting bots or not? I've only done one pvp round so far

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

pmchem posted:

in mercs? how do you know if you're fighting bots or not? I've only done one pvp round so far

You can usually tell you're up against a bot if you've been in the queue for about 1.5 minutes, they're named "Your opponent", and they have a bunch of random units with little synergy. Above 7k rating you'll never get bots apparently.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Chernabog posted:

My best party ignores most synergies and just goes for standalone strong mercs. Incidentally I only run Grom as my only Legendary.

I think it's intentional that you can't just slap together a balanced party of 6 mercs that that all synergize perfectly together. Like, Demons and Murlocs both have strong tribal effects, but there are no Murlocs in red and no Demons in blue so unless you just want to skip out on covering those types (which might honestly be fine in PVP but probably is not advisable in bounties, double damage is too good to ignore) you've got to reach a little to flesh out the rest of your team.

Overall impressions: I'm like one quest away from finishing the Barrens and I can say I like the mode more than I thought I would, but I'm wary of its staying power and what the endgame will be like. I had very low expectations for it at first but I was surprised at how much it feels like some of the most fun parts of Hearthstone when you're calculating effect triggers and interactions and looking for creative ways to pull of lethal in a pinch.

There are some really glaring QoL/UI issues which I'd assume would be a quick fix if this were any other game, but given Blizzard's track record I'm not super hopeful. Biggest ones to me are not being able to view enemy "cards" with all their abilities and cooldowns during battle (it seems like some boss enemies break the rules a little bit and operate differently, which is fine, you can hide those) and not being able to inspect your merc stats and abilities when you're choosing a treasure after a battle. Both of these issues can be alleviated by memorization or using outside resources, but they really shouldn't have to be, especially in a brand new game mode that already throws a considerable amount of complexity on the table.

I do think Blizzard missed a golden opportunity by not finding some way to make the game interact with your existing card collection, and I'm not just saying that because I want it to be cheaper to play. Lots of people have been playing Hearthstone for years and a big part of that loyalty doesn't just come from love of the game, but from attachment built up over time to their card collection, and even if it were just something small and stupid like new skins or a handful of coins unlocked for mercs you own a Hearthstone card of, giving it any kind of connection to the main game would make the whole thing feel more cohesive.

edit: Oh yeah, and I know the "beta" label is kind of meaningless and arbitrary, but I'm surprised to see this launched as a "full release" while Battlegrounds had the beta label slapped on it for god knows how long. The iOS Hearthstone client has been really good for quite some time but I'm getting fairly regular crashes playing this on phone, and a couple times I've been locked in menus on both phone and PC with no buttons except the friends list one working and I've had to force quit and restart. For all of Hearthstone's general issues you usually at least can expect a very high level of polish, and this mode is short on that.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 14, 2021

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
I think there's too much emphasis on synergies without having enough width of options.

So this skill does piddly damage but DOUBLE against dragons. Well, there's only two dragons in the game that it would even work on.

This hero synergizes well with beasts. Okay, but you only have collected one other beast!

This hero has a combo skill, and your only other hero that could activate it has a slower skill speed.

This skill is only better than the other one if all three members are the same tribe.

The end result is I've got about 3 entirely synergistic team comps. The rest have dead weigh mercs or abilities that are only included because their contribution is higher than the low bar of not having any at all.

It really just pushes the idea that you need to find a powerful synergy comp (like Cariel/Xyrella/Samuro) and bulldoze over the 90% of comps it beats with those three and nothing else really matters. This leads to three outcomes:

1. You've got an incredible combo and pull it off. You win.
2. Your opponent has an incredible combo and pulls it off. They win.
3. Neither happens and you just mash weak abilities against each other until the least terrible comp wins.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Gruul is poo poo in PvP but he's quite useful for the final PvE area

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Disargeria posted:

I think there's too much emphasis on synergies without having enough width of options

Yeah, I definitely feel this, especially with a fairly limited collection. So many times I've tried to put a synergistic comp together, realized that I just have 2 units where that synergy works, and go back to my random assortment of good-ish on their own mercs.

I had a bit of success with Blink Fox and Millhouse so Millhouse's AOE activates Blink Fox's combo, but the problem is it shuts out all of Millhouse's other skills if you want Blink Fox to hit the combo, and Blink fox kinda sucks if you can't activate it. Tyrande is in there too, but doesn't really do much since despite being arcane as well, doesn't really synergize in any meaningful way (her single target has a 50/50 shot to go before Blink Fox's, which isn't reliable enough).

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Map randomizer could use some checks if you ask me (same goes for Spirit Healer in round 2).

I mean, thanks, but...

Padical
Nov 29, 2004

enki42 posted:

I had a bit of success with Blink Fox and Millhouse so Millhouse's AOE activates Blink Fox's combo, but the problem is it shuts out all of Millhouse's other skills if you want Blink Fox to hit the combo, and Blink fox kinda sucks if you can't activate it. Tyrande is in there too, but doesn't really do much since despite being arcane as well, doesn't really synergize in any meaningful way (her single target has a 50/50 shot to go before Blink Fox's, which isn't reliable enough).

You can control who on your team wins a tie by choosing their ability first.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

So you want me to summon 10 Void Consumers, eh?

Ok ...
(really needed the Tamsin coins for an ugrade to progress my A-Team.)

https://i.imgur.com/tkaGo1B.mp4

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 14, 2021

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I need to be able to actually open the 88 packs waiting for me. Still no bug fix and whoever thought that packs that a player paid for should be gated should be transferred to a job that doesn't take much intelligence. What's incredibly dumb is that the bug also stops me from making any in game purchases. You would think they'd at least get that part right.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Padical posted:

You can control who on your team wins a tie by choosing their ability first.

You sure about that? I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure that's not always been the case for me, you may have just been getting lucky with 50/50s.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

goferchan posted:

You sure about that? I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure that's not always been the case for me, you may have just been getting lucky with 50/50s.

no, Padical's correct

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The level 30 heroics are ridiculously hard. You need a REALLY good team and you have to get lucky

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
I believe that's stated in the tutorial. Ties between you and an opponent are random, but on your side you can set order.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
I got a free Mercanaries Lich King preorder pack code but I already bought it because I'm a terrible whale so the fastest goon can have it instead: XXX-XXX

(You can redeem it at least in PC Battle.net client by clicking your name -> Redeem a Code)

EDIT: gone now, congrats Sloppy

Obfuscation fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 14, 2021

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Obfuscation posted:

I got a free Mercanaries Lich King preorder pack code but I already bought it because I'm a terrible whale so the fastest goon can have it instead: B4K6-VWP9-J9HWH-5MFX-89VP

(You can redeem it at least in PC Battle.net client by clicking your name -> Redeem a Code)

I took this, greatly appreciated!

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

"Apparently" Heroic Serena (Barrens 10) has "almost always" a "Mysterious Stranger" on the board if you want to fish for tasks.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Ugh, apparently there's just no frost synergy at all? Fire, holy, nature, and arcane all have several characters but there's only 2 frost options?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

L0cke17 posted:

Ugh, apparently there's just no frost synergy at all? Fire, holy, nature, and arcane all have several characters but there's only 2 frost options?

Yeah that's a bit weird. Jaina does do a shitton of damage even without any synergy, but Dawnstar is basically only useful for slowing down teams.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

All my fire mercenaries seem to be pretty meh. Like they are okay taunt meat shield but that is it.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

mcbexx posted:

"Apparently" Heroic Serena (Barrens 10) has "almost always" a "Mysterious Stranger" on the board if you want to fish for tasks.

I don't trust this yet, I've had very good luck with Barrens 8 and 13 too.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's by far faster to farm Mysterious strangers on early maps by the way. Restart if your map doesn't have a mystery spot

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I'm on the third world thing and it keeps kicking my rear end with the enemy abilities buffing allies and then the allies having swipe. Turning me off the mode.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Dear Somethingawful forums, I never thought it would happen to me....

So match making is broken. It is absolutely ripe for exploitation. I got to the top 100 of pvp by only playing bots with a 100% winrate. You can too. Here's the deal:

The bot system works to look for other players in queue using some algorithm that takes raw level, equipment (if equipped or not), equipment rank, and skill rank into consideration when matching. As you could imagine, balancing everything between those, coming up with a score, and then finding another person with a similar score is going to be tough. So blizzard matches you with a bot. This bot's team will mimic the exact same rank, lvl, equipment, etc of your team. The big thing here is that there is zero synergy of that AI team. As far as I can tell, it just picks random heroes. So if you can get two level 30 heroes, only rank up the abilities that synergize, and then fill out the rest of your team with level 1s, you're golden.

The team I used was Millhouse and Tyrande. Arcane explosion and arcane bolt are the ones to level along with arcane dust. For Tyrande, arcane salvo and elune's grace. I eventually coupled Cariel Roame with zero upgraded abilities, since even then, the taunt helps counter melee guys. Use arcane bolt turn one and salvo turn one. From there, use turn two to activate elune's grace and arcane bolt. It's random which will go first, but the hope is that elune's grace goes first and millhouse will use arcane bolt and pump the team's arcane damage up with two uses. If not, look at the board and decide if a double explosion is better or double single target damage. Even if one bolt will kill someone, the second bolt will attack the same target so you'll want to spread it out. It gets to the point where the extra damage is so compounded, and the aoe is so strong, that you roll everyone. A few times one of the main pair died but the filler heroes are still there to sub in and help out.

After your level one filler heroes get too high level for your taste, swap them out with fresh level ones. Remember that a key part of this is never spending coins to upgrade abilities for your filler team.

Enjoy your wins everyone.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

And what do you get from doing this?

Edit- it's great how delayed this mode was, only for it to be broken UI wise on mobile or windowed mode with battle info being offscreen. Can't actually see what attacks my opponentts are using.

Amoeba102 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 14, 2021

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

do you not see the number? do you not see the number going up?? what more could you possibly need

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Amoeba102 posted:

And what do you get from doing this?

Edit- it's great how delayed this mode was, only for it to be broken UI wise on mobile or windowed mode with battle info being offscreen. Can't actually see what attacks my opponentts are using.

You get about 100 coins for the first win, then for 2, then 3, etc up to 5 and then you can earn that reward for five wins an unlimited number of times (resets back to one every day). Each 1000 ranking gives coins and then coins + pack starting at rank 5000. Even if you only do this for three wins a day, it's a lot of extra coins. Plus all your filler heroes will get power leveled.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Lister posted:

Dear Somethingawful forums, I never thought it would happen to me....

So match making is broken. It is absolutely ripe for exploitation. I got to the top 100 of pvp by only playing bots with a 100% winrate. You can too. Here's the deal:

The bot system works to look for other players in queue using some algorithm that takes raw level, equipment (if equipped or not), equipment rank, and skill rank into consideration when matching. As you could imagine, balancing everything between those, coming up with a score, and then finding another person with a similar score is going to be tough. So blizzard matches you with a bot. This bot's team will mimic the exact same rank, lvl, equipment, etc of your team. The big thing here is that there is zero synergy of that AI team. As far as I can tell, it just picks random heroes. So if you can get two level 30 heroes, only rank up the abilities that synergize, and then fill out the rest of your team with level 1s, you're golden.

I haven't dived into the PVP yet, maybe I'll give this a try before they hot fix it lol. From what I've heard in addition to the complete lack of synergy in the team comps the bots will have generated for them, the PVP bot AI is really bad and basically picks abilities to use at random... abilities will be incorrectly sequenced and the target selection is questionable to say the least. Sounds like the PVP bots that were meant to be a perfect match for the skill of the player leave a lot to be desired.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

The AI did seem to get harder around rank 5000, but I did notice early on that it would target the lowest hp heroes despite them being very low level and not a threat at all. Those meat shields let tyrande and millhouse take control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Lister posted:

You get about 100 coins for the first win, then for 2, then 3, etc up to 5 and then you can earn that reward for five wins an unlimited number of times (resets back to one every day). Each 1000 ranking gives coins and then coins + pack starting at rank 5000. Even if you only do this for three wins a day, it's a lot of extra coins. Plus all your filler heroes will get power leveled.

Does sound like a quick way to get coins.