Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 23 days!)

im ready for category 6 to become an official designation, personally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The yellow line is the bacteria that causes the toxicity and its presence in the ocean

Basically plankton eating whales and whatnot are holding in check a type of toxin producing bacteria that would make the atmosphere unbreathable if it took over the oceans due to its predators dying off from ocean acidity

holy poo poo, peter watts' novels starfish and behemoth were prescient, we're going to live through it aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Oh cool, one more concurrent apocalypse

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mayor Dave posted:

Oh cool, one more concurrent apocalypse

just throw it on the pile out back

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Can someone explain why the yellow line goes up after going down and what "atmosphere starts to become toxic due to dinoflagellate toxins" means? https://twitter.com/_ppmv/status/1448725571215708163/photo/1

Even in the terrifying news of our imminent demise there's cause to be optimistic. Once the public finds out about it they will demand that action be taken and the politicians will respond. This will galvanise us into one unified world and we will face the challenges this century has placed before us together.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Even in the terrifying news of our imminent demise there's cause to be optimistic. Once the public finds out about it they will demand that action be taken and the politicians will respond. This will galvanise us into one unified world and we will face the challenges this century has placed before us together.

i'm pretty sure this is a bit but i'm worried it's not

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
That's right I've crack-pinged so hard I've come right back around to positivity and optimism. I call it the horseshoe crazies.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Quoting myself here from a couple of days ago, because...

mcbexx posted:

Maybe the toxic algae could flip a switch and produce CO instead of O2 for some primo lols and lmaos.

Basically the lovely movie "The Happening", but people just start dropping dead instead of yeeting themselves off of buildings.

Ah well, close enough.
The time frame is a bit worrisome, I'll admit. I was hoping I would be able to sneak out before everything goes to poo poo, but it looks like I will have ample opportunity to scream "I told you so" in my friends' faces.

Just kidding, I just can't talk to them about all this, this is too dire, holy gently caress.

At this point I can only assume some governments are aware and this is kept from broader public knowledge to avoid mass panic until it's undeniably starting to go to poo poo.

Just imagine someone putting up that graph at the next UN council meeting...

mcbexx has issued a correction as of 10:26 on Oct 15, 2021

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

i voted against dinoflagellate toxins :colbert:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

mcbexx posted:

At this point I can only assume some governments are aware and this is kept from broader public knowledge to avoid mass panic until it's undeniably starting to go to poo poo.

What mass panic? Our brains don't work 25 years into the future. I'm going to get cancer, or heart disease, or suicide, or covid, or car accident , or any number of horrible ways to die at some point between and 50 years from now. I'm not panicked.

People might get depressed or cynical but nobody is panicking over some poo poo that's not even happening this year.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

People might get depressed or cynical but nobody is panicking over some poo poo that's not even happening this year.

I'd like to think that some people still might have enough empathy left in them to actually think about the children, if not as a concept of future generations in general, then maybe their very own.

But on the other hand, denial and repression are the only things we can take comfort in, so buckle in and duck your head. Maybe, maybe this is just another of those crazy tinfoil hat conspiracies. Or Elon will save us by inventing nanotech plankton.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

lmao

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
also ph doesn't settle out like salt water does so you aren't going to get fresh water lenses in areas near the ocean and all the water you pump out of the ground will be a horrible toxic acid lmao

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
you're gonna need a bigger dome :clint:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i'm not worried because some humans will survive

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/anlomedad/status/1448909613550784532?s=21

https://twitter.com/_ppmv/status/1448918148120563739?s=21

https://twitter.com/_ppmv/status/1448926403450318848?s=21

Nevermind, it's just those darn doomers again. No need to worry everyone, everything is gonna be fine.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Phew.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Frankly the most amazing thing on that graph is the assertion that all marine life and fish will be dead before 2050. Our oceans will be barren, acidic graveyards. That's just an incredible premise. The potential for content is literally unbelievable, I'm not jokerfied enough to truly envision it. Can we drink acid water?

Yeah, I was ranting about this one a few years ago in this thread's predecessor before Trump got elected and my mind went. The dead spots will start growing and spreading in the oceans. It's going to smell bad too, BTW.

Mola Yam posted:

ocean dies, belches up 200 years of excess carbon it's been sucking down

oops! +10 degrees in a decade!

it is doing my head in that the world might literally end right around when i will likely be at the end of my life

am i actually the protagonist of reality? seems likely. wow. did i dream the unive rse omg

I know, right?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Technology exists right? Then there is a solution. Give money to technology and it's only a matter of time until we solve the problem of the global ocean's final withering after we have already killed it.

Sure our best shot now is barely identifying the problem right before it fucks us up after it's already decades too late but once everyone understands the severity of the problem there will be

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

CODChimera posted:

i'm not worried because some humans will survive

wow look at mr optimist over here

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Technology exists right? Then there is a solution. Give money to technology and it's only a matter of time until we solve the problem of the global ocean's final withering after we have already killed it.

Sure our best shot now is barely identifying the problem right before it fucks us up after it's already decades too late but once everyone understands the severity of the problem there will be

Clearly the solution is war.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

things are gonna get all loosey-goosey, IYKWIM

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Occasion of much hugger-mugger

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The yellow line is the bacteria that causes the toxicity and its presence in the ocean

Basically plankton eating whales and whatnot are holding in check a type of toxin producing bacteria that would make the atmosphere unbreathable if it took over the oceans due to its predators dying off from ocean acidity

we may not get FIOS where we're going.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

petit choux posted:

The dead spots will start growing and spreading in the oceans. It's going to smell bad too, BTW.
*laughs in covid*

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1448989301690220566
You see, it's your fault for living in an area vulnerable to the climate change disasters we've caused.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

T-Paine posted:

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1448989301690220566
You see, it's your fault for living in an area vulnerable to the climate change disasters we've caused.

Just feel pity for the rubes who will think they got a killer deal by buying some rich assholes beach house for like 50% under market value in this crazy crazy market.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

mcbexx posted:

Just feel pity for the rubes who will think they got a killer deal by buying some rich assholes beach house for like 50% under market value in this crazy crazy market.

i feel envy for future people who have the gumption to buy those houses when they're like 90% under market value then stripping them of copper / anything valuable and reselling it for a profit before the ocean comes to reclaim them

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

90% of the ocean dying in 25 years is truly amazing

i wonder which 10% of marine life will be left

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The merchant marine, toot toot.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Cup Runneth Over posted:

there's a lot of guesswork involved in making anything about that trend line accurate but it's not entirely outside of the realm of possibility

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Can we drink acid water?

the real issue is whether you can drink salt water! the ocean can get acidic enough to kill everything (it doesn't take much) before it becomes acidic enough to bother a person

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I’ve been listening to a lot of the Fall Of Civilisations podcast and there’s so many striking parallels between every society he talks about and our own, and there’s very often a climate shift as a key stressor that topples the whole thing.

Really makes you grateful to have been born at the end of history under the caring embrace of capitalism so we don’t have to worry about stuff like that

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

mediaphage posted:

the real issue is whether you can drink salt water! the ocean can get acidic enough to kill everything (it doesn't take much) before it becomes acidic enough to bother a person

Thank God. Everything is going to be alright

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

bobmarleysghost posted:

i guess i better eat a shitload of nigiri while i still can

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
If you arent working around cancer inducing chemicals to ensure that you check out early without having to actually do the deed, then I think youre going to be around for some not fun stuff.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

bobmarleysghost posted:

1 extremely large squid is all that will remain and he will sustain himself on the fruits of our hubris (plastic coke bottles and garfield phones)

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Basic Poster posted:

Whole pnw is +2C preindustrial

how can you tell the historic temperature? I did a quick scan of the site but didn’t see anything

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

TACD posted:

I’ve been listening to a lot of the Fall Of Civilisations podcast and there’s so many striking parallels between every society he talks about and our own, and there’s very often a climate shift as a key stressor that topples the whole thing.

Really makes you grateful to have been born at the end of history under the caring embrace of capitalism so we don’t have to worry about stuff like that

yeah usually we just migrate away from the bad place we ruined, but we're finally in a progress trap that's too big for us to run away from

not that there won't be a shitload of climate refugees and not like they haven't already started migrating but at the end of it all, hooray, we finally did it

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

bobmarleysghost posted:

the new rulers of the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

honestly that GOES paper shows that if anything, this thread needs to get off its lazy rear end, and get some doomerism published in a predatory open access journal somewhere.

like thing of the feather in the cap of "the CSPAM climate thread is actually publishing science, what are you doing?"

i'll be corresponding and last author if someone else writes the paper. if we pick the right pay-to-play journal, they'll probably even let us publish under our forum usernames.