Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Sports are cool and sports memorabilia can be cool. Most of my stuff is sumo or baseball related.

Tegata of 5 of my favorite rikishi

Top row is Takayasu, Hakuho, and Kisenosato
Bottom is Aoiyama and Tochinoshin

Picture Banzuke from July 2021

Hakuho's last yusho in July, his 45th overall and 16th perfect one. For people who don't follow sumo, Hakuho is absolutely the greatest rikishi of all time with a dominance of his sport that is absolutely unparalleled.

Sumo magnets

The caricatures are really fun and capture the spirit of the different guys.

Autographed baseballs

Anchored by the all timers, Hank Aaron (RIP) and Willie Mays

Dae-Ho Lee

My all time favorite Mariner

Ball signed by women from the AAGPBL

There was a group of women who had played in the Girls Professional Baseball League at the 2019 All Star Game festivities doing a meet and greet. They were all really lovely and wonderful to talk to.

Snake in a hat

Before covid I was trying to visit every baseball stadium. This was from Arizona.

Cleveland Cavaliers Court Piece

I'm from Cleveland and the Cavs winning was the best moment in local sports in decades. I got this because it was unique and goofy.

Post your cool sports stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I just bought a signed kiké hernandez ball because I always wanted a signed baseball and it was for charity so yay!

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I mostly collect graded baseball cards, but as far as other Memorabilia the coolest things I have are:

Signed Mike Trout Bat

Signed Mariano Rivera Gold Ball

And this bad boy:

Some of the cooler more niche Rookies/Pre-Rookies I own of modern dudes:

Albert Pujols

Alex Rodriguez (I was looking for this one FOR YEARS)

Ichiro Suzuki

Bryce Harper

Mike Trout

Shohei Ohtani

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

first and last baseball card i ever bought

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

HulkaMatt posted:

Ichiro Suzuki

I only ever saw old rear end Ichiro in person so its really hard to process him as a young person. That's really cool.

kreeningsons posted:

first and last baseball card i ever bought

If you're only going to have one that's the one to have.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Crossposting this from the sumo thread to try to give this thread once more chance at life

Shiroc's Guide To Sumo Tegata
Realizing that information about tegata is really, really hard to come by on the English language internet and my own posts about them come up on Google, I wanted to write up everything that I have learned to try to put it all into one place. I've done by best to be accurate but as I am an American who can't read any Japanese and only know a token handful of spoken words, some of this might be wrong.

What is a tegata?
A tegata is the traditional way for a sumo wrestler to write an autograph, which consist of their inked handprint and shikona (ring name) written calligraphically. With variations of material in the past, modern tegata are all on white paper boards called shikishi. They're 9.5" w x 10.75" h with a small gold border around all sides.

Framed tegata of former sekiwake Aoiyama showing his handprint and shikona

The handprint can be in either red or black ink, with red more common historically and black more recently. The name is always written in black ink.

The particular hand a wrestler uses is up to them. I personally have seen mostly right hands. Occasionally I have seen (separate) pieces where a wrestler used different ones. In the case of Tochinoshin, I've only ever seen his left hand, which makes sense because his left hand grip is legendary. Who cares about his right?

Former ozeki Tochinoshin's incredibly inky and splattered tegata

What are those extra stamps?
When a wrestler gets to the top two ranks, they get to put extra stamps on their tegata. These stamps are written using special 'seal script' which has the Japanese characters modified slightly to be more legible when used on hanko stamps.

Former ozeki Takayasu's tegata and an ozeki era tegata from yokozuna Kisenosato

On these ozeki tegata and Tochinoshin's above, you can see how they have similar stamps. The top right stamp simply says 'Ozeki.' The bottom left has their name and I think some other piece of information but my inability to read Japanese means I don't know what. The left side looks similar on Takayasu's and Kisenosato's but the first character is different.

Closeup on Takayasu's and Kisenosato's lower left stamps

On a yokozuna tegata, the upper right stamp changes to one that says 'The most powerful man.' In addition they get an extra stamp above the name that indicates which number yokozuna they are.

Yokozuna Hakuho's tegata, with the extra stamps to indicate he was the 69th yokozuna

Who can make tegata?
Like many things in sumo, tegata are a privilege only for wrestlers in the top two divisions. Interestingly, they are also no longer allowed to make them after retirement. (Not that they presumably couldn't still get the materials to make rogue ones if they really wanted but it would be a bad look.)

Sadly this does mean that there are no above board Hattorizakura tegata in the world.

How can I get a tegata?
While printed tegata, which don't seem to ever show the extra rank stamps, are cheap and easy to get, authentic tegata are a bit harder to get. Wrestlers are strictly not allowed to sell them and tegata are only meant to be given as gifts to their supporters. However, those recipients are allowed to sell them and there is a thriving internet trade. They can be fairly expensive depending on the age, quality and whose tegata they are. Rarity can come into play as well, with a non-yokozuna stamped Hakuho often selling for more than the much more common yokozuna era ones. If you're willing to go the ebay route from sellers in Japan you can get them cheaper. Even at premium prices with authentication (such as it is), most active or recently retired wrestlers I've seen can be gotten for <$300.

Conclusion
Tegata are cool pieces of sumo memorabilia and can be genuinely gorgeous art pieces too. I hope this post gives some more knowledge and appreciation for them. This page has additional information and fun videos showing wrestlers actually making them: https://tachiai.org/2019/04/21/tegata-a-piece-of-sumo-tradition/.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
was pointed to this (dead) thread to ask about this stuff. while going through my stepdad's house, I found 4 shoeboxes full of 1962-1966 topps baseball cards. there's probably around 3000 or 4000 cards total here I think. unfortunately some are damaged from being wrapped in rubber bands, but aside from being a bit curled, most seem in nice shape. about 3 or 4 boxes this size full:

and then there's these player coins, a few hundred of them I think. same era, and some are a bit dinged up, but a lot are in excellent shape.

anything I should be looking out for aside from mickey mantle and other notable players? is a set of cards from this era worth a drat, same for the coins?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Captain Invictus posted:

was pointed to this (dead) thread to ask about this stuff. while going through my stepdad's house, I found 4 shoeboxes full of 1962-1966 topps baseball cards. there's probably around 3000 or 4000 cards total here I think. unfortunately some are damaged from being wrapped in rubber bands, but aside from being a bit curled, most seem in nice shape. about 3 or 4 boxes this size full:

and then there's these player coins, a few hundred of them I think. same era, and some are a bit dinged up, but a lot are in excellent shape.

anything I should be looking out for aside from mickey mantle and other notable players? is a set of cards from this era worth a drat, same for the coins?
Sportscardspro.com allows you to choose the card brand, then year, then sort by price, so you can see which ones might be worth your time to look for, if you're not invested enough to go through and price each card individually.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Slugworth posted:

Sportscardspro.com allows you to choose the card brand, then year, then sort by price, so you can see which ones might be worth your time to look for, if you're not invested enough to go through and price each card individually.
thanks for this! I did a quick run-through of one of the shoeboxes and pulled a bunch of names I recognized personally and sleeved them up, I'm sure there's more but for now I just wanted to separate stuff by set, pick out the damaged poo poo, and get any rubber bands the fuuuuuuck out of there. here's what I found so far, definitely focused on any mickey mantles, hank aarons, and willie mays cards:

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

thanks for this! I did a quick run-through of one of the shoeboxes and pulled a bunch of names I recognized personally and sleeved them up, I'm sure there's more but for now I just wanted to separate stuff by set, pick out the damaged poo poo, and get any rubber bands the fuuuuuuck out of there. here's what I found so far, definitely focused on any mickey mantles, hank aarons, and willie mays cards:

I don't know a ton about baseball cards, but I am a baseball fan. If you are just looking for a bunch of cool cards your dad had, then big score! If you are looking price wise, there are some things that go into deciding this. From my knowledge what makes a card worth money is player, condition, rarity, and year mostly. Then, like coin collecting, there's misprints too, which if on the right card can be a big deal. Some other stuff too like team, etc.

So you could have an old card from a super famous player but there's a bunch of those cards available, he was in a minor slump that year, and yours is in pretty average condition so it might not even be worth a dollar.

Alternatively you could have some guy no one but enthusiasts have heard of but he pulled off some herculean feat that year but not many people hung on to it so there are hardly any around and it's worth a pretty penny.

Additionally for a card to be worth more than bottom dollar, you have to get it professionally graded. This makes a huge difference but can also ruin your dreams if you find out it's not quite what you thought it was.

What a card is "worth" is not what people will actually pay, I'm assuming. The high-end priced ones were taken extreme care of since the pack was opened, typically.

For instance, I'm not going through all those cards, but that Mickey Mantle pair on the bottom left from the years you said are in your collection, looks by my eyes to be a 1966 perhaps? The top graded ones can be "worth" something in the 5 figures, yours probably on the way lower end of that depending on the grade aka condition since it's just been sitting in a box for a while and looks somewhat bent. I think this is the card:

https://www.sportscardspro.com/game/baseball-cards-1966-topps/mickey-mantle-50

I'm sure there are people on these very forums that know fifty times more than me and I'm happy to be corrected. Again, I'm just a baseball fan and know maybe more than your average person on the street, but I wouldn't even consider myself a casual collector. (I have maybe a few dozen old cards laying around just because they are guys I like worth probably a few bucks). So, take all of that with a grain of salt.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yep, everyone has been telling me to go to PSA and get everything already worth money graded. There is a mickey mantle with a crease, but most of them are in really nice shape with little wear. Like, the hank aaron on the left of the 4 is real jacked up, but the rest are in really nice shape with sharp corners.

I know there's probably no PSA9's here, but if even one of the mantles are a 7 or 8, that's a huge amount of money. I too am not the expert but I'm absolutely willing to put the effort in to investigate with them about the cards. If nothing else, the sets are generally in great shape overall, so even if none of them are high grade, a complete set of the 1964 cards is a significant value, and I can scrounge at least one full set together, with almost every one of the major hits to put a second set together with.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

:nice:

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Captain Invictus posted:

Yep, everyone has been telling me to go to PSA and get everything already worth money graded. There is a mickey mantle with a crease, but most of them are in really nice shape with little wear. Like, the hank aaron on the left of the 4 is real jacked up, but the rest are in really nice shape with sharp corners.

I know there's probably no PSA9's here, but if even one of the mantles are a 7 or 8, that's a huge amount of money. I too am not the expert but I'm absolutely willing to put the effort in to investigate with them about the cards. If nothing else, the sets are generally in great shape overall, so even if none of them are high grade, a complete set of the 1964 cards is a significant value, and I can scrounge at least one full set together, with almost every one of the major hits to put a second set together with.

Any update?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm unable to discuss it at the moment. But if/when everything is locked down, I definitely will if I can.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hey. so, I've been investigating getting a bunch of stuff graded for a while, and finally with PSA's July $18 submission special, took the plunge. dropped a decent chunk on getting a bunch of cards graded, this is the first batch I've sent in. Not doing all the major hits all at once(only want to send in a single Pete Rose Rookie to see how it turns out), but if a lot of this comes back at least decently graded(7s ideally, 8s hopefully, 9s in my wildest dreams lol) then I've got like six more boxes to dig through for mediocre stuff to get graded, this was mostly the 1963 stuff I went through to send off.

I forgot to take pictures of the cards themselves before sending them in. but most are in quite nice condition, sharp corners, all that jazz, only problem with some of them is centering. bunch of multiples sent in, 3's of many of them(like the stargell rookie and roberto clemente and a BUNCH of multiples of the $18 tiers since there's 57 cards going in total), mostly to see how they grade. A lot of stuff like hank aarons, willie mayses, roberto clementes, etc I'm not going to send all the ones I have in all at once, I want to see what these come back as first. Was going to get some of the 1964 Topps Coins graded too, but I guess grading for those STARTS at fifty bucks, and the only one worth over half a grand even in amazing condition is Mickey Mantle, so gently caress it, I'll sell all those as-is.

also tossed in an MTG Wood Elemental, the best worst card ever made, that I got for cheap and want to get graded anyways.

all the submission process is a huge pain in the rear end and these floppy sleeves they ask you ship stuff in loving suck to get cards into carefully.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
What's a Griffey Upper Deck rookie card worth these days? My mother just found mine in her basement, it's been in a case for like 20 years so it's definitely in good condition.

From what I understand the market was pretty well flooded with them so it's not exactly a super rare card.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

What's a Griffey Upper Deck rookie card worth these days? My mother just found mine in her basement, it's been in a case for like 20 years so it's definitely in good condition.

From what I understand the market was pretty well flooded with them so it's not exactly a super rare card.

Depending on the quality, it looks like its still a decent haul. Can't speak for the veracity of this site but it might give you an idea.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
You mean there is a chance some
Of this stuff may be worth something? All my cards are 85-92

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
got the first of my submissions back, the Pete Rose rookie card.

can't say I'm not a little disappointed, was hoping it would wind up rating a 7. though I think a 6 is still worth between 3200-4000, so I guess that's fine. got a quote for 78 grand for new siding and stuff, so this does put a small dent in that.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
At what value does it make sense to get cards graded? I have to imagine I have lots of mattingly/canseco/Griffey jr rookies

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
well first they have to be in very good shape in most cases, but second, you can go on PSA's website and look up general values for stuff. they charge based on the estimated value of the card after grading, so if it'll be worth 4500 after getting graded, you're paying $300 per card but you'll also be getting it back within a week like I did. meanwhile if it'd be worth like 150 bucks after grading, you can wait for one of their deals where it'd cost you $18 per card, I did that and submitted like 55 cards at that tier.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Great thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I have a couple of shelves at work that I keep all of the bobble heads and memorabilia I get from the games I go to. I’ve bought a few of these, but most of them were giveaways.

The Brian Westbrook jersey is from a Burger King giveaway, the fathead was another giveaway of some sort. I vaguely remember trading somebody in SAMart for Westbrook. The rest of the eagles stuff save for the beads was purchased or a gift. The beads were from the super bowl parade.

Flyers are all giveaways other than Gritty in the back.

My Phillies shelf is a mix of giveaways and old poo poo from when I was a kid. The helmets are the ice cream helmets from the stadium, I think I've got all of them. I think the only thing I purchased from a store on that shelf is the Phanatic bobble head.

Pete Rose is a piece of poo poo, I'm gonna rotate that one 180 degrees.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 18, 2022