Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

:skeltal:

That bike is sick as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
New Bike Day!

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

And I kept most of the groupset off my old bike and just shifted it over. The wheels are my old mtb wheels set up tubeless with some Goodyear somethings.. I've got all the parts to build a 650b wheelset on some old XT hubs but haven't got around to it yet.
I'm looking forward to doing a bunch of riding this summer and through next year, hopefully I can.

That's great. I love the old school look but with modern amenities.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Finally got around to finishing and riding and taking a few photos of the custom frame I got made this year. I ended up with pretty much what I wanted, and it rides and handles very much how I expected and asked for. Jeffson Bikes in Rotorua NZ was the frame builder.
Due to a long lockdown and stuff with the kids I haven't had much more than short local rides on it but it's rad. Colour looks a lot more 'hot' in person it's hard to photograph even with a bit of image manipulation.

that bike owns goddamn

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Thanks! It does own and after thinking for years about all the pros and cons, all the features I would like and not like, it was cool to go hangout with someone who could do all that while also putting his own little details into it too. I'm stoked and just hope life opens up a bit so I can really get out on it.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Thanks! It does own and after thinking for years about all the pros and cons, all the features I would like and not like, it was cool to go hangout with someone who could do all that while also putting his own little details into it too. I'm stoked and just hope life opens up a bit so I can really get out on it.

I'd love to hear more about why you asked for a threaded headset and QR disc for this. You clearly put a lot of thought in to the bike and I'm wondering what took you there.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

bicievino posted:

I'd love to hear more about why you asked for a threaded headset and QR disc for this. You clearly put a lot of thought in to the bike and I'm wondering what took you there.

It'll probably sound stupid but it's what I like:) For the headset, I could have gone for 1inch thread-less but I like the threaded headsets and quill stems, aesthetically and practically. But also a lot of it came down to what would work easily with standard (classic) diameter steel frame tubes and lugs. I wanted to stick with the same tubing, not mixing skinny tubes on the frame with a large diameter head-tube, which meant 1 inch headset and steerer tube. Since it didn't bother me as I don't plan on swapping forks or anything then it suited me fine and visually it looks (at least to me) like a classic frame from the 80's but with secret modern stuff.
If I had gone to large diameter tubing with lugs the budget would have probably had to double as a lot more stuff would have had to be ordered from overseas which is a nightmare at the moment. Plus this way I got to use a lot of parts from the era that I was trying to somewhat emulate which to me made it even better despite there being some limitations. A lot of the tubing was stashed in the framebuilder's workshop and had been for sometime which was neat, and that's why he used the tubing stickers from the era also to suit the tubing.

As for QR dropouts, again it was about keeping that look and using either vintage frame building parts or parts that looked that way. I dug through the framebuilder's stash of dropouts forktips and lugs to find stuff I thought looked good, and he eliminated what wouldn't work practically. He had one of those really cool Cinelli aero BB shells but it wasn't going to work for this project, for example.

Another reason to go QR are there are tons of old wheel-sets that can be cannibalised for hubs and parts, plus I imagine if I am riding somewhere far away I can more easily get a replacement part or skewer for something like that at a small-town bike shop. I know this argument could probably be defeated easily but again, it's also an aesthetic thing to me. All of these things maybe aren't as practical or versatile as modern stuff in some ways, but really it was about creating something that visually appealed to me from an era of bicycle framebuilding I really love, that also rides great and has a few modern touches that don't look out of place. Like, it's worth it to me to have the small problems with alignment of QR discs to get the look that I wanted.

Also peep these sick shoes I got:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I mean, realistically it seems like you're a way better candidate for a custom frame than a lot of the people I see getting them.
You knew what you wanted and you got it. I wouldn't have done the same but that's the point. Nobody else is riding it so who gives a gently caress what they think.

I beg you to remove those extra spacers from the headset, though, I'm sure the stem is long enough.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

bicievino posted:

I beg you to remove those extra spacers from the headset, though, I'm sure the stem is long enough.

Shameful to remove mr skull's home for things like "cool factor" and "more drop"

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Shameful to remove mr skull's home for things like "cool factor" and "more drop"

Word.

But I might shorter the steerer a little after I've done more on it. I am wanting to maybe try one of those headset mounted bag mounts so am leaving space for that, plus it's the ideal spot for my chattering skull to reside.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

It's a quill stem - the drop wouldn't change at all? He would just attach Mr. Skull to the stem, instead of to a superfluous stack of spacers.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

bicievino posted:

It's a quill stem - the drop wouldn't change at all? He would just attach Mr. Skull to the stem, instead of to a superfluous stack of spacers.

Also true, but like I said I want to wait before cutting it. Just taking things slow. Mr Skull is very important and will always have a home:)
Thanks for what you said before too, I forgot my other reasoning was that qr is 135mm which keeps the rear end 'skinny'. I have big feet that heel-in quite a bit so with modern bikes I've found I hit the chainstays with my heels unless I start using pedal spacers and things. The compromises some manufacturers make to keep a wide rear without heel-strike were not something I wanted, this way with the longer chainstays needed to get the clearance I wanted it all worked out perfectly.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I'm firmly on team "wide rear end" in all things, personally.

Actually I don't think the QR is that big a deal. I have QR disc on two bikes including my tandem and it's fine.

You gonna get a dynamo wheel for it? This seems like the kind of bike that needs a dynamo. Bike24 had good deals on QR disc dynamos last I checked.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

bicievino posted:

Actually I don't think the QR is that big a deal.

You gonna get a dynamo wheel for it? This seems like the kind of bike that needs a dynamo. Bike24 had good deals on QR disc dynamos last I checked.

Agreed, I think the problems with qr and disc alignment are way overstated, at least for this kind of use.

Difinitely keen on a dyno at some point, if a good deal locally comes up I'll go for it otherwise think about ordering a hub from somewhere sometime next year. My bike budget is pretty well tapped out for now.

E. Should add I'm not a retro grouch, wide rear ends and thru axles and electrinic shifting and 1x are cool stuff, just not for my dream bike.

Project M.A.M.I.L. fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 14, 2021

a hot dad
Dec 2, 2018
Hell yeah that pink frame whips dude.

Here's a bike co-op jobbie from the other end of NZ:

Been a pretty fun lockdown project. Everything was totally gummed up from 90s grease, the mechs cleaned up nice but I've only got about half of my shifts in the rx100 brifters after flooding them with solvent and lube. There's a youtube of a guy disassembling them but it looks frankly terrifying. Stem friction shifters are working great for now.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

a hot dad posted:

Hell yeah that pink frame whips dude.

Here's a bike co-op jobbie from the other end of NZ:

Been a pretty fun lockdown project. Everything was totally gummed up from 90s grease, the mechs cleaned up nice but I've only got about half of my shifts in the rx100 brifters after flooding them with solvent and lube. There's a youtube of a guy disassembling them but it looks frankly terrifying. Stem friction shifters are working great for now.

That's a really nice green on that Giant.

My tip for getting those shifters to work is using a cable in them while you flush and operate them. With the trailing end in a vice or something, so you can simulate the pull of the spring on the derailleur while you flush and cycle them. Disregard if you've already tried that, but I've gotten a few different pairs of those old 8 speed shifters working that way.

Port Chalmers?

a hot dad
Dec 2, 2018
daaaang thanks mate, the trick with the cable worked perfectly. All the pawls now catching and a bunch of grotty black flecks got flushed out. Cheers!

Not quite Port Chalmers but that side of the harbour. Gonna be dope when the cycleway is finished all the way along both sides.

a hot dad fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 19, 2021

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Been mostly just lurking this thread for years. Built up a couple of bikes in the past couple of months. Anyway, mostly built these two up as cruising bikes for me and the SO to do groceries and picnics. Kind of sad that the weather is getting much colder now but I'd probably ride these in the fall and maybeee winter.

95 Specialized Hard Rock, actually recently converted this to a 1x10 (sorry no photos yet) since Microshift Advent X stuff finally came in stock for me. Also rotated the handlebars way the gently caress down after this photo was taken. Really enjoyed building this one even though it was such a pain in the rear end

Giant Yukon, originally supposed to be a parts bin bike but I kinda spent too much on pedals, grips and handlebars and god knows what else. I didn't quite trust the load capacity of the cheap front rack so I re-inforced it with the mounting hardware that came with Wald baskets and some P-clamps. Originally wanted some Jones loop bars, but they're pricey and always out of stock so I went with similar looking ones. Groupset is a Sensah RX10 which is insane for the price. Cassette, derailleur, shifter and chain for like $70 CAD new from AliExpress. Shifts really well too, just not clutched so some chainslap on harder gears.

I'm also now eyeing some early 90s Trek MTB for another build but we'll see. Love building the bikes, but hate dealing with used bike sellers on kijiji/craigslist

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
love those, nice work.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Building bikes in the kitchen! Trainer/parts bike underway.

thesinglelife.jpg

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

a hot dad posted:

daaaang thanks mate, the trick with the cable worked perfectly. All the pawls now catching and a bunch of grotty black flecks got flushed out. Cheers!

Not quite Port Chalmers but that side of the harbour. Gonna be dope when the cycleway is finished all the way along both sides.

No worries glad it worked:) They might still stick a bit when it gets cold but they should be mostly sweet.

I love those old mtbs with big balloon tyres and racks, they just look right somehow.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wifi Toilet posted:

Building bikes in the kitchen! Trainer/parts bike underway.

thesinglelife.jpg

Gonna be rad. I love that stand, one of my best purchases to wrench on bikes.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Gonna be rad. I love that stand, one of my best purchases to wrench on bikes.
I was admiring it too, who makes it? Is it better than a traditional stand?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

spf3million posted:

I was admiring it too, who makes it? Is it better than a traditional stand?

Feedback Sports, it’s their Sprint stand. I bought it because aero seatposts making clamping a pain, and that bikes tended to move around when doing high torque work like bottom brackets. It’s also super portable for taking with you to races and such.

The downside is that you have to remove the front wheel every time, and if you have different front axle standards you need to change out the insert. I’ve got QR, 12x100, 15x100, and 15x110 bikes so you have to keep track of the insert and swap it as needed. It screws into the stand so it’s easy, just takes a little longer than throwing a seatpost into the clamp.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Feedback Sports, it’s their Sprint stand. I bought it because aero seatposts making clamping a pain, and that bikes tended to move around when doing high torque work like bottom brackets. It’s also super portable for taking with you to races and such.

The downside is that you have to remove the front wheel every time, and if you have different front axle standards you need to change out the insert. I’ve got QR, 12x100, 15x100, and 15x110 bikes so you have to keep track of the insert and swap it as needed. It screws into the stand so it’s easy, just takes a little longer than throwing a seatpost into the clamp.

I think also having the 'stand' bar flopping around separately from the tripod stand makes it a bit annoying sometimes to store, but I just cinch it all together with a titan/voile strap. The insert I agree is mildly annoying, but I like that the fork is secured so if you're messing around with anything on the cockpit that everything remains locked in place.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Kinda back at it after 12 weeks off with a broken ankle. Healing up well. Feels good to get air.

CH Science
Sep 11, 2019

Cross is back, so the Soma is now out of bike packing mode and into race mode

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Late, but yeah that's the stand. My main bike is a big "gently caress you" to clamp stands with an aero seat post and a triangle top tube, so no clamp stands for me.

Anyway, progress. Now on hold for a longer shift cable for the front derailleur and a longer recessed nut for the front brake calipers. Kind of regretting already buying bar tape since I'm liking the blacked out cockpit.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
I built a thing!

The first bike I've built up from a bare frame. Threw it on my trainer and rode it for about 5 minutes before disaster struck: I noticed the American flag on the top tube isn't centered.

I'm going to be starting at this dumb decal for hours of my life and it's going to bother me every time!!

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Wifi Toilet posted:

I built a thing!

The first bike I've built up from a bare frame. Threw it on my trainer and rode it for about 5 minutes before disaster struck: I noticed the American flag on the top tube isn't centered.

I'm going to be starting at this dumb decal for hours of my life and it's going to bother me every time!!

Congrats. Putting a bike together from the frame up is fun and cool.

If you're open to tips, you might consider rotating those bars forward - the drops look nigh unusable (although if it's just gonna be on the trainer then maybe non issue?).

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Wifi Toilet posted:

I built a thing!

That bike is cool, Cannondale kept the classic frame look/shape for a long time and they look somewhat timeless imho.

Got a solution for your problem too https://www.redbubble.com/i/sticker/DickButt-For-President-by-dumbshirts/21030245.EJUG5

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wifi Toilet posted:

I built a thing!

Does that shifter housing bind up when turning? It looks like it’s awfully tight.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Wifi Toilet posted:

I built a thing!

Sup 2005 CAAD8 buddy!

amenenema fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 28, 2021

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Does that shifter housing bind up when turning? It looks like it’s awfully tight.

It is tight, I reused old housings and didn’t have any extra length but I can still turn the wheel 90 degrees which is more than I need. Maybe I’ll get some new housing whenever I redo the bar tape.

amenenema posted:

Sup 2005 CAAD8 buddy!

Nice! I think I would have preferred a red one since my other bike is also blue, but you gotta take what you can find. :)

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 28, 2021

takamoron
Mar 27, 2011

practice nonviolence plz
Just got my new (to me) Bike Friday! I was still adjusting the handlebars when I took the pic so ignore that :P

It's been a pleasure as a 6'2" goof riding around, and the 1800' climb I did on the coast the other day was a fun way to break it in. The thudbuster feels smooth (although my buddy says it loses "a lot" of efficiency?) and it came with a Bontrager computer that I had to recalibrate because the default wheel size was saying I was casually going 25 MPH :smuggo:.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
New (to me) bike day: 2019 Pinarello Prince, DI2 Ultegra - Boyd 38mm Disc wheels. Rides really nice! Bought it off a friend with the insurance money from my stolen bikes, I hate to admit but I came out ahead from the whole ordeal:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Good bichael. How tall are you?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

tylertfb posted:

New (to me) bike day: 2019 Pinarello Prince, DI2 Ultegra - Boyd 38mm Disc wheels. Rides really nice! Bought it off a friend with the insurance money from my stolen bikes, I hate to admit but I came out ahead from the whole ordeal:

I really want the new prince. Good bike mon frere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Good bichael. How tall are you?

I'm 6'3". This is the 59cm downtube size. The top tube is about 57.5cm. With this 120mm stem it's a touch long for me, I'm going to put a 100 on it and it will feel better.