Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I hope they were paid in NFTs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

ce n'est n'est pas une fraude

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/ghorton639/status/1446863852944207879
https://twitter.com/D__T_____/status/1449295303744524294

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

if they sell the nft are they required to burn the painting or..?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The funniest part of threads like this is the desperate morons who promote things like Luscious Lizards or Tenacious Tigers under every damned twitter post about NFTs.

Sir, what a lovely lion, I see you are a man of culture. Perhaps you would be interested in acquiring a Courageous Cow to go with your wonderful Lazy Lion?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
new great business idea: nft cosmetic nfts

you don't have to be content with the hat or pipe your lazy ferret is wearing! dress up your nfts with any outfits or accessories you can afford!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

then the nft is just a bunch of transparent background stock images of hats and doodads

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Halloween / Spooky Crap > YOSPOS > This people have poor people houses, why are no cryptos rich

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Boxturret posted:

new great business idea: nft cosmetic nfts

you don't have to be content with the hat or pipe your lazy ferret is wearing! dress up your nfts with any outfits or accessories you can afford!

pretty sure this already exists, there was that group of people proudly bragging about the nft furniture they bought for their nft room

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Scam as Service.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Fool me n times, shame on you, but fool me n+1 times, shame on me.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Paladinus posted:

The funniest part of threads like this is the desperate morons who promote things like Luscious Lizards or Tenacious Tigers under every damned twitter post about NFTs.
grimes posted topless pics on Twitter, and literally the first reply was someone telling her to sell the pics as NFTs.

expensive cyber-boobs?
No, Free Titties!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

hello elon musk here. i just have so many bitcoins and i felt i should give something back, so i decided that you, the people ogling my ex-wife, are the perfect people to receive my free money! just send me money and i will send you more back, so easy!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Wow! I hope they make it so that you can pay taxes in bitcoin next!

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Wow! I hope they make it so that you can pay taxes in bitcoin next!
buy low, pay taxes when number go up

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

don't you have to pay taxes when you move bitcoin around cuz they're considered a security or something? so you could pay your taxes in bitcoin, then pay taxes on the tax paying transaction, then pay taxes on that tax paying transaction...

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

theft upon theft upon theft !!

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Grace Baiting posted:

theft upon theft upon theft !!
Kull wahad!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Shame Boy posted:

don't you have to pay taxes when you move bitcoin around cuz they're considered a security or something? so you could pay your taxes in bitcoin, then pay taxes on the tax paying transaction, then pay taxes on that tax paying transaction...

Paying your taxes with bitcoin only to find out Elong has once again crashed the price of bitcoin.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

they're not income, so it's capital gains any time you convert to real money or another cryptocurrency iirc

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

not only that but there are laws against wash trading so if you sell Bitcoin at a loss then buy the dip less than 30 days later you can't write off any of those loses.

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

not only that but there are laws against wash trading so if you sell Bitcoin at a loss then buy the dip less than 30 days later you can't write off any of those loses.

These don't apply to crypto (for now) because of whatever type of asset the IRS classifies it as.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://www.ft.com/content/0035016c-29ad-4e6f-9163-2a17df490aa5

quote:

A major customer of Tether has said the company lends out new stablecoins in return for cryptocurrencies — a claim that calls further into question Tether’s founding promise that it uses only real dollars to issue its tokens.

Alex Mashinsky, whose crypto lending platform Celsius Network has borrowed from Tether and counts it as an equity investor, told the Financial Times that, as part of a lending arrangement, Tether has issued its so-called USDT units in return for well-known cryptocurrencies.

“If you give them enough collateral, liquid collateral, bitcoin, ethereum and so on . . . they will mint tether against it,” he said.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Imagine: an obese man making GBS threads into a tank, forever, and your uncle Bill Fuckwad and his libertarian pals all happily swimming around in it

That's Tether.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

tether, backed by dollars "commercial paper" collateral from crypto investment funds

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
price of bitcoin is propped up by tether which is backed by bitcoin, nothing wrong with this

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
it's only a problem if there's a bank run, and crypto bros never bank run, they hodl, so it's fine

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
the words "lend" and "mint" don't feel like they should be interchangeable, but they're being used that way in that passage?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Didn't they just get fined? Did they lie to the government about whether they were still up to these shenanigans?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

KnifeWrench posted:

the words "lend" and "mint" don't feel like they should be interchangeable, but they're being used that way in that passage?

I think the idea is that they mint new tethers, which they then lend out.

This is not that different from when you get a mortgage (for simplicity, on a house you already fully own). The bank gets a claim on your asset, you get a bigger number in your account on the banks systems. That money didn't come from anywhere (directly), the bank just created it. You treat it as equivalent to banknotes or coins because you trust that you can easily turn it into them if required (and there are probably local regulatory protections)

You might note that the regulatory landscape between the two scenarios is rather different.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

mystes posted:

Didn't they just get fined? Did they lie to the government about whether they were still up to these shenanigans?

I think the fine was about saying that they didn't do this stuff - they now admit they do do it, so are in the clear from that perspective.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

KnifeWrench posted:

it's both i think? Celsius Network is borrowing usdt, and putting up it's bitcoin as collateral. but tether doesn't maintain some stockpile of usdt, they mint it at will when they want it, and then destroy it when it's returned. but that's shady as gently caress on tether's end: not only is the tether not backed by actual money, all they have is collateral on a loan; generally you can't just call in a loan when you feel like it, so in the event of a bank run they can't liquidate the collateral.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
that makes more sense. still, with everything coinbase just went through, I would think the very concept of lending crypto would be radioactive to anyone pretending to follow the law

which is I guess why coinbase stopped but tether is unbothered

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

pointsofdata posted:

I think the idea is that they mint new tethers, which they then lend out.

so Tether's not even purchasing cryptocurrencies for themselves, they're just lending USDTs out with the other parties' crypto as collateral against the loans?

(I hit the ft.com paywall so I can't actually read the article)

HappyHippo posted:

not only is the tether not backed by actual money, all they have is collateral on a loan; generally you can't just call in a loan when you feel like it, so in the event of a bank run they can't liquidate the collateral.

given how shady and lawless every actor in this space is, I don't think Tether would even get as far as obtaining the collateral, let alone liquidating it. Something tells me that Tether is probably not doing very much due diligence on its lending clients.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Blotto_Otter posted:

so Tether's not even purchasing cryptocurrencies for themselves, they're just lending USDTs out with the other parties' crypto as collateral against the loans?

Yes, although these aren't terribly different, except in the case where the collateral drops in value. In theory, lend Vs buy is then better for tether, as their counterparty is still meant to give the tether back. In practice, I suspect your other point about the shadiness of most crypto firms would suddenly become very relevant.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Reminder tether's terms of service plainly states it has no obligation to actually redeem tethers for real money

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

EorayMel posted:

Reminder tether's terms of service plainly states it has no obligation to actually redeem tethers for real money

It literally has less “value” compared to antique Monopoly money on Antiques Roadshow.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I feel like a lot of the problems with stablecoins would be addressed by regulation requiring them to allow redemption at the fixed exchange rate.

and by "addressed" I mean stablecoins would quickly cease to exist so they wouldn't be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol

EVIL Gibson posted:

yo

Blockchain is not just Bitcoin.

Blockchain is a way to quickly authenticate previous data while becoming a part of the authentication chain to be used as more authentication such later.

someone can not just come in and gently caress we the one record and get away with it. if they change anything in previous records, all checks will fail in catastrophic manner which is a tell that someone was changed and can be tracked down to the exact record that was changed.

banks want to use it, for example, because it means that an punk accountant can't just change a credit from 10k to 100k because it will suddenly make the Blockchain fail and be tracked quickly back to the punk.

Bitcoin is just a Blockchain perverted into something weird.

peace