Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Rusty posted:

I have just learned that I don't love the wheel hop from FWD cars that can put down more power than they can handle from a stop, even with the LSD. I love my GTI, but one thing I would change is to get the Haldex from the R.

The wheel hop issue is partially a manufacturer compromise and likely can be mostly solved by a different tire with more sidewall or (most of all in the GTI) engine mounts that don't let the motor/trans wind up and release. The issue exists in RWD and AWD cars also.

AWD certainly has its place and people who enjoy that kind of thing, I've just never been a straight line person :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
We do have some NA cars, I just daily drive a GTI. I don't track, but do work on them, just put a clutch in the Miata last weekend.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Goddamn, those are both impeccably clean. What is hiding on the right?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
it's another Triumph Spitfire, but it's kind of a fastback. That and the red Triumph are owned by my roomate who also has a mint Jaguar.

Here is another view of the yellow one, hard to get a good photo, the garage is jammed with cars, my GTI doesn't even rate to get a spot.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 16, 2021

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Goddamn I wanna be your roommate too. That garage owns

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
They aren't super valuable, but she bought the red one when she was in high school as a first car, so more of a passion.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Winter mode activated

The summer setup. 205/45/17 Ventus V12 mounted on 17x8 Konig Feather wheels.

Swapped to 195/55/16 Sumitomo IceEdge on 16x7 Borbet LV4 wheels that have been in my garage collecting dust for a couple of years. I did a bunch of research on hub bore sizes and ordered new hub rings and STILL had to sand the inner diameter of the rings to get them to clear my hubs.

The car feels faster in a straight line now, probably due to the weight difference and narrower contact patch. I think the 205 width summer tires are borderline stretched on the 8” wheels.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/JcZeZguWlo4

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

Imperador do Brasil posted:

1900 miles in 4 days in the EP3. 690 miles each way to North Carolina, and two days of driving on the Dragon and adjacent excellent roads. A+ will return in a hot hatch again.

Great pictures. I previously had an EP3 and these pictures make me miss it early. Slow car but yes indeed very fun. Ugh.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Well poo poo. I just got an offer to buy an 08 R32 from a friend’s mom. Number 4333/5000. One owner, 30k miles, $18k.

I am not a fan of autos but I like VR6’s and low mileage niche cars. I’ve bought a car from the family before and it’s one of the only cars I ever regret selling - they take phenomenal care of their cars.

The price seems in line with or even a little low compared to the retail market on the R32, if you can even find one in this condition/mileage. I just have to find storage space or cull the fleet yet again. I suppose I could sell the Abarth?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You could probably sell the Abarth

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Abarths are pretty sweet, but I think I'd sell whatever I needed to for a clean R32.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I technically have the room to keep them all, but the Abarth would go to living outside instead of taking up one garage space. I guess I could buy it and see how I feel about selling something later, maybe in spring?

Anyone want to buy a low mileage Abarth?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Love the wookie noises. At some point I’ll add a mk4 R to my garage but man those prices are going absolutely bonkers. The mk5 was a great car though, and I’ll forever love it’s bubbly shape heh. That’s a great price and you definitely should do it!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i was never a fan of the R32, it sounds good but is kind of a fat pig

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I think the Mk4 Golfs look a lot better than the Mk5, mainly because of the boxy look on the 4 and the headlights on the 5 are kind of goofy.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I prefer the mk4 too, the only reason I like the mk5 that gen gti was my first car

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rusty posted:

I think the Mk4 Golfs look a lot better than the Mk5, mainly because of the boxy look on the 4 and the headlights on the 5 are kind of goofy.

the mk4 golf was the pinnacle of golfness imo, great interior for the time, good exterior styling that aged very well, nice powertrains on offer, definitely felt relatively premium to drive compared to competition

a shame about the build quality, reliability, etc

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the mk4 golf was the pinnacle of golfness imo, great interior for the time, good exterior styling that aged very well, nice powertrains on offer, definitely felt relatively premium to drive compared to competition

You meant to say Mk3, right?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Ok Comboomer posted:

You meant to say Mk3, right?

Mk4 being the pinnacle? I think you've got rose-tinted glasses. An mk3 Jetta was my first car in high school, and I think the Mk2 is probably the highpoint of the GTI overall, but the Mk5 is probably the car that ultimately gave VW the most cred in the modern era.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Ok now that I’ve seen the new SI on the internet—

It looks hella rad, I’m super pumped for the R, I can’t help but think about how much better it would be if you could spec it out with more premium-feeling Sport Touring/leather seats instead of the black + red cloth buckets.

My hunch is that the R will retain a similar interior trim situation, with lots of red and black (please match the back seats this time, Honda!) and no option to upgrade to something more luxury-like.

Which leads me to wonder: is leather going to be Honda’s big differentiator between the Civic SI/R and Integra/Integra R? Boy racer Civic vs German-fighting luxury sport hatch Integra?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Mk4 being the pinnacle? I think you've got rose-tinted glasses. An mk3 Jetta was my first car in high school, and I think the Mk2 is probably the highpoint of the GTI overall, but the Mk5 is probably the car that ultimately gave VW the most cred in the modern era.

Mk4 styling is fine, but it’s basically just Mk3 + early 2000s Millenium-era roundness and curves

also the Mk4 Cabrio is literally just the Mk3 Cabrio with Mk4 exterior bits stuck on and zero mechanical updates. Even the interior is like 90% the same except for a smattering of Mk4 poo poo like the steering wheel shape

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Sadly I think I’m gonna pass on the R32. I can’t really see driving it enough to justify the outlay of cash, especially since that model was DSG only, no manual option. It’s super clean but I can’t bring myself to like an auto trans in that kind of car.

We are going to look at another R53 Mini this afternoon though. My son wants to build one up for himself since he likes mine so much, and they’re so cheap and tiny.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 19, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The Aussies are getting a WRX wagon that doesn’t seem to have all the cheap plastic bits.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rolo posted:

The Aussies are getting a WRX wagon that doesn’t seem to have all the cheap plastic bits.

lol

lmao

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

Mk4 styling is fine, but it’s basically just Mk3 + early 2000s Millenium-era roundness and curves

also the Mk4 Cabrio is literally just the Mk3 Cabrio with Mk4 exterior bits stuck on and zero mechanical updates. Even the interior is like 90% the same except for a smattering of Mk4 poo poo like the steering wheel shape

no one cares about the cabrio except u

Rolo posted:

this car is somehow powerfully ugly in a way i can't quite articulate

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

no one cares about the cabrio except u

everybody made fun of the Cabrio for decades and called it gay and the Bitch Basket but it was lowkey always the best Golf

VW even made GTI versions for Europe that we never got

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i dont hate the cabrio i just don't even think about it much like everyone else

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i dont hate the cabrio i just don't even think about it much like everyone else

you should get one

it’s a golf as a convertible that seats four

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
And has a chassis that feels like a wet noodle.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

dissss posted:

And has a chassis that feels like a wet noodle.

it does not! :mad: I drove my family’s Mk3 the other week and it was as fun as always!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Mk4 Golfs, they rust like crazy, the interior has the feel of a early 90s Kia, the understeering is worse than an 80s Audi, the electronics are on par with a 70s Leyland.

God it is such a miserable pile of absolute poo poo. Congrats on dodging that bullet, Imperador.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Mk4 Golfs, they rust like crazy, the interior has the feel of a early 90s Kia, the understeering is worse than an 80s Audi, the electronics are on par with a 70s Leyland.

God it is such a miserable pile of absolute poo poo. Congrats on dodging that bullet, Imperador.

I’m still waiting for the VW/Audi thread to change its title to “have you considered a Honda? Maybe a Civic?” after that guy got super mad and ended up eating a month probation a couple weeks ago because people thought his plan to buy an ‘08 A4 as a “reliable daily driver to take the pressure off my 30 year old project car” was ill-advised

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 19, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nidhg00670000 posted:

the interior has the feel of a early 90s Kia

uhhh what

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
A sea of black plastic that scratches incredibly easy but is still brittle and likes to fall apart and creaks everywhere. The Mk3 interior wasn't much to write home about but the Mk4 had a markedly lower budget feel.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Sadly I think I’m gonna pass on the R32. I can’t really see driving it enough to justify the outlay of cash, especially since that model was DSG only, no manual option. It’s super clean but I can’t bring myself to like an auto trans in that kind of car.

We are going to look at another R53 Mini this afternoon though. My son wants to build one up for himself since he likes mine so much, and they’re so cheap and tiny.

The DSG might be a benefit if you've never owned one or gotten to drive one a lot. Especially if you've got plenty of other manual cars... It's a great transmission.

I'd certainly rather work on a VW than a BMW Mini, which is saying something.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Mk4 had a markedly lower budget feel.

Only once it got past literally hundreds or maybe even thousands of miles

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

RIP Paul Walker posted:

The DSG might be a benefit if you've never owned one or gotten to drive one a lot. Especially if you've got plenty of other manual cars... It's a great transmission.

I'd certainly rather work on a VW than a BMW Mini, which is saying something.

We decided to buy the Mini. $2600 and it just needs rear brakes and a couple of tires. We’ve had them before (actually have another one now) and they’re really easy to work on. Pictures incoming once it’s cleaned etc.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

We decided to buy the Mini. $2600 and it just needs rear brakes and a couple of tires. We’ve had them before (actually have another one now) and they’re really easy to work on. Pictures incoming once it’s cleaned etc.

Where'd you find a 2600 dollar Mini, because if all it truly needs is brakes and tires I'd jump on one in a second. Everything I've seen around here is 5000+ for examples with a ton of miles on them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Yeah, Jesus. You sure somebody didn’t die in that mini?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Previa_fun posted:

Where'd you find a 2600 dollar Mini, because if all it truly needs is brakes and tires I'd jump on one in a second. Everything I've seen around here is 5000+ for examples with a ton of miles on them.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah, Jesus. You sure somebody didn’t die in that mini?

Got lucky. Kid is moving to Alaska or something. Not even a speck of rust on it.

The front tires aren’t in dire condition but they’re the wrong size. 205/55/16 instead of 205/50/16 and I’d like to change them back down. I ordered front and rear pad and rotor sets tonight for $185 shipped, which is a pretty nice win.

The entire rear interior is disassembled but all came with the car. The only thing it’s actually missing is the headliner but meh. They all suck anyway.

New parts including clutch, motor mounts, ignition coil, plugs, new battery, etc. Alta 15% pulley, some sort of exhaust. It’s “softer” than our other R53 due to not having all poly bushings and stuff suspension, but it still feels very solid and fun.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 20, 2021