Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

caterpillaropera posted:

AITA for reporting someone I thought was creepy… now I’m the one in trouble

Bolding mine, because it really took me a minute to work that out.

like oh my God, what a creeper. gag me with a spoon, I'm sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

caterpillaropera posted:

Seems a pretty cut and dry question, this one.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I like how she explains the entire situation and that the dude did in fact work for housing and she was in fact supposed to have her dog on a leash, then one sentence later calls him a creepy guy who harassed her again

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I need my emotional support beejohn to help me cope with anxiety from creepy dudes telling me that my emotional support beejohn is illegal

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Beejohn is the less popular version of beecock

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Ok y’all, down for some input on the below proposed guidelines

Derails: accidentsderails will happen, sometimes organically! Some are positive, fun and occasionally sexy tangents. Others are soul sucking slap fights that bring out the worst traits posters and those are the derails we strive to curb. Minds are made up, mouths are undone.

With that, if I or another fool that’s an IK request a ceasefire on a derail, it isn’t for a probefest, but if it’s a probefest you want, it’s one you’ll get. I believe in giving someone a fair shot, but if you ignore a warning and get a sixer…I don’t want to hear it cause I know what I’ve done.

Fake stories: yeah some of these are some clown college attempts at writing. I don’t want every page filled with “FAKE. PHONY” so calm down Holden Caulfield. If it’s something you can hilariously debunk (like for instance, someone saying an event took place on Feb 31st), that’s fine.

But if crying fake gets excessive or it’s the only drat thing being posted, I’ll enforce the “post another drat thing, then” rule. I presume that this is a self explanatory rule.

Other things to keep in mind: goons are, and have always been, rather diverse and of all spots and stripes. This is more apparent in a post-Lowtax era and honestly? Good.

I urge you to be cognizant of that in this thread. How you act upon that is your own choice, but understand that some people won’t have the same experience as you and that poo poo happens. You may have a bit more needed to understand them, or conversely, other goons might not (or obstinately refuse to) get it. Have as much patience as needed or deserved. Some goons can, will, and want to learn and grow. Others will cling to their mudpit of idiocy as they know of nothing more and insist on making you a resident there. Expend energy accordingly, but if you need a second pair of eyes, don’t hesitate to DM me or email me at someawfulwitch at geemale dawt calm. I don’t have access to mod reports so that is usually the most expedient way of getting my attention outside of the Cuervo gold and the fine Columbian.

wise bards once said “you and me baby ain’t nothing but mammals, so let’s do it like they do on the discovery channel (build and document a thriving ecosystem of goons in their tall begoatsed towers, mocking redditors below for a laugh)”

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

I need my emotional support beejohn to help me cope with anxiety from creepy dudes telling me that my emotional support beejohn is illegal

Emotional support beejohn is making me corpse a la DeLuise, thank you

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

caterpillaropera posted:

Bolding mine, because it really took me a minute to work that out.

Honestly I'm willing to forgive a lot in that story on the basis of '18 year old living alone for the first time' because everyone has hosed up something that's pretty straightforward in adult life just because its their first time on encountering that thing, but getting home safe, reflecting on the encounter, and *still* calling the police really is something.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

pentyne posted:

Wasn't there an AAM about some middle manager who organized a happy hour or something, was encouraging everyone to eat some weed edibles, then surprised then with a drug test the next day?

Found it:

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Free company vacation leads to everyone being fired.

Ive been working for a small tech company In Dallas TX that has around 10 senior employees for the past 4 years.

We have been going through some budget cuts as well as removing the company policy for new hires to “double 401k contributions” meaning if I put 10$ in my 401k my employer puts in $20, leaving me with a $30 401k contribution.

The company is now removing this policy but as our contract reads the 10 of us are pretty much grandfathered in to this clause amidst stealing company property or being drunk / high on the job. So if I stole something from the company my employer has an out to terminate the contract.

****************Story****************

Our boss recently took the 10 of us to Colorado for a week to ski on a company trip as a thank you. It is not unusual for him to thank us in these “big” ways. (In the past he has given bonuses, gift cards, ipads)

While we were in Colorado our boss brought us some “Special brownies” and we all decided to eat/ try them as we are all close and pretty much all friends and its legal in Colorado. One girl did not for personal reasons.

We had an amazing time in Colorado and enjoying the activities for the week. But that all changed when we got back to Dallas the following Monday.

When we opened up all 10 of us were met with a random drug test which was odd because our Boss just last week indulged with us in eating Marijuana brownies.

Well come to find out 9 of us have all had our 401k contracts terminated per the stealing/drug/drunk clause. The only person who still has theres is the girl who did not eat the brownies.

My question is: is this even legal, do I have any course of action against what it feels like is “entrapment”

TLDR; We went on a company vacation, our boss bought us marijuana cookies and is now using us failing Mondays drug test to revoke our 401k contract

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

My mom wants me to fake a pregnancy...

quote:

My mom wants me to take a pregnancy and pretend her baby is mine…

Throwaway account since friends I know IRL come on Reddit and I don’t want them knowing the situation…

I turn 18 in 4 months, I’m still in high school until beginning of June.

My mom (38) had found out she’s about 5 weeks pregnant with her boyfriends child. My mom is freaking out a lot about since she doesn’t want to have a kid this late in life. Does is pro-life so abortion is out of the question.

She decided that since I am going to be out of school in about 7 and a half months that it would be perfect timing for me to learn the responsibility of parenting.

I have no job due to me being on different sports teams but I am expected to quit them to fake a pregnancy. My issue is I don’t have a boyfriend and my mom knows this. So I don’t know how she wants people to believe it.

The big catch, my mom isn’t willing to help pay for anything for the baby since it will not be her responsibility once it’s born. I had argued, told her to give the baby up for adoption and she thinks that heartless, because the baby, when they find out they’re adopted, will think their birth family hated them and wanted nothing to do with them.

I’ve been panicked for a few days about this since I’m not ready for parenthood and I feel like this is ruining my chances of finding a good college and living my life how I want with a job I want.

Any advice with be grateful and I will try to answer questions best I can today. My mom had called me in sick to school today so she can further explain the situation to help me understand…

EDIT: a little information I totally skipped over. My mom’s boyfriend left as soon as she said she was pregnant so I’m assuming here that a huge factor of why she wants to push the baby on me is so she can feel… less guilty of having a baby with a man that left? I don’t know.

Another edit to add, so I’m not explaining it all the time: my dad passed away a few years ago. When that happened, my mom moved us away from his family, which is even farther for her family. We have no contact to either parts of the family, not sure why. But I will try my best to dig today since a lot of people are saying get in contact with family.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Nooner posted:

Lmao, i did this once at a hotel on a school trip when i was like 14 thinking it was the best idea ever. Wasnt witty enough to think of calling it dewfee though

I remember reports from back when ThinkGeek existed of people using their caffinated water to make coffee, to predictable results.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

quote:

The big catch, my mom isn’t willing to help pay for anything for the baby since it will not be her responsibility once it’s born. I had argued, told her to give the baby up for adoption and she thinks that heartless, because the baby, when they find out they’re adopted, will think their birth family hated them and wanted nothing to do with them.

Well, the baby sure as hell wouldn't be wrong about their biological parents.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
The type of person who brings her emotional support beejohn to the dorms is the type of person who thinks the world revolves around them and that them getting caught means they are being harassed.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Deformed Church posted:

My mom wants me to fake a pregnancy...

Ah the opposite and yet still amazingly awful version of "give me your child"

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

therobit posted:

The type of person who brings her emotional support beejohn to the dorms is the type of person who thinks the world revolves around them and that them getting caught means they are being harassed.
How'd this person survive almost 2 months of college to this point?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Still, your Beejohn lingers on and on and on

You gave your love to me softly

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Dik Hz posted:

How'd this person survive almost 2 months of college to this point?

My freshman roommate didn't know that you do laundry, I only found out what the smell was on the day we were moving out when he stripped his bed and I saw the Psycho-style full-body grease stain on his sheets. He was still not the most inept dude I met that year.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Beejohn is like a knock off Candyman costume name

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

My freshman roommate didn't know that you do laundry, I only found out what the smell was on the day we were moving out when he stripped his bed and I saw the Psycho-style full-body grease stain on his sheets. He was still not the most inept dude I met that year.

There were multiple guys in my undergrad comp sci classes like this.

AITA for refusing to take off my glasses at a wedding?

quote:

My (34f) baby cousin Amy (24f) asked me to be a bridesmaid. Background: I have bad eyesight and wear glasses. I only take them off to shower and sleep.

Before the wedding Amy told me another bridesmaid was going to get contacts specifically for this, implying I should as well. I reminded Amy that I don't wear contacts but since I have multiple pairs of frames she can pick which set I wear. I showed her all my options. She picks the neon pink ones because she likes how they look with my dress.

Fast forward to the day of the wedding. While we're getting ready, Amy's mom (my aunt) asks me if I need access to the mirror so I can put in my contacts. I'm like, "No, I don't wear contacts" and she makes this disgusted face but I find somewhere else to be before she can keep talking. We get all lined up and Amy's mom starts fussing about my glasses again. She asks if I can take them off for the ceremony which is a huge no. I cannot see ANYTHING without my glasses. She asks if I have a less flashy pair, and I say no, this the only pair I brought with me. Amy tells her mom it's fine and they kinda tussle but the ceremony is starting so that's the end of that.

Now it's time for photos and yet again Amy's mom is coming for my medically required accessibility aids. She tells me I'm ruining the photos and to take off my glasses. I protest that I can't see without my glasses. She says I don't need to see to smile. I say I'm not comfortable putting my glasses down somewhere strange and she offers to hold them for me. I ask why the photographer can't just adjust the lights but the photographer has a very clear "don't bring me into this" reaction (poor guy). This whole time Amy's either trying to tell her mom to lay off or pleading with me just to do it. Finally I say that I do not want to be photographed without my glasses and that's final. If I'm ruining the photos so much, they can continue without me. I take my bouquet and leave. Later at the reception I keep my distance from Amy and her mom. Before it's over though I pull Amy aside to talk. She apologizes for her mom, I apologize for losing my cool. We hug and everything's good between us.

That was Saturday and Amy's on her honeymoon, but Amy's mom out here slandering me to the world. The photos went up on Facebook and when my grandma asked why I wasn't in half the shots ... yeah. My parents are on my side, but other people are saying I was stubborn for no reason and taking off my glasses wouldn't kill me. That might be the case but I wasn't comfortable doing it. I'm not ashamed of my glasses and hate anyone trying to make me feel otherwise. Maybe my baby cousin's wedding wasn't the place to dig in my heels but I'm sick of the world acting like I'm ugly just for existing the way God made me. AITA?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Double post for content:

AITA for hiding mu candy bowl when I leave from work?

quote:

I 23f have a candy bucket that I fill up at work. I buy the candy with my own money. I used to leave the bucket on my desk even after I left work but I've started coming in and seeing the bucket completely empty. And this isn't a small bucket either, it's a bowl candy dish the size of a dinner plate and about 5 inches deep and I only work with 3 other people on my floor. It's fine that people are enjoying the candy but I know it's not normal to run out this much. I asked my coworker Nia about it and she said she saw someone from another department empty the bowl into their purse. I was a bit pissed so I decided that I'd put the bowl away when I left to clock out. Today I came in to a nasty note on my desk saying that if I don't want people to have the candy then to just not put it out period since I wanna police people. Nia says it is still my candy and I'm choosing to share but my other coworkers are saying that it comes with territory of offering candy freely. I don't know, am I an rear end here?

◇ the candy is from Costco, I get 2 variety bags, 1 chocolate and one with like sour straws and twizzlers!! The bags are $16-ish , it usually lasts me all halloween month.

And the candy dish is just a pumpkin bowl from Michael's. Spook safely!!

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

teen witch posted:

Derails: accidentsderails will happen, sometimes organically! Some are positive, fun and occasionally sexy tangents. Others are soul sucking slap fights that bring out the worst traits posters and those are the derails we strive to curb. Minds are made up, mouths are undone.

With that, if I or another fool that’s an IK request a ceasefire on a derail, it isn’t for a probefest, but if it’s a probefest you want, it’s one you’ll get. I believe in giving someone a fair shot, but if you ignore a warning and get a sixer…I don’t want to hear it cause I know what I’ve done.

Fake stories: yeah some of these are some clown college attempts at writing. I don’t want every page filled with “FAKE. PHONY” so calm down Holden Caulfield. If it’s something you can hilariously debunk (like for instance, someone saying an event took place on Feb 31st), that’s fine.

But if crying fake gets excessive or it’s the only drat thing being posted, I’ll enforce the “post another drat thing, then” rule. I presume that this is a self explanatory rule.

Other things to keep in mind: goons are, and have always been, rather diverse and of all spots and stripes. This is more apparent in a post-Lowtax era and honestly? Good.

I urge you to be cognizant of that in this thread. How you act upon that is your own choice, but understand that some people won’t have the same experience as you and that poo poo happens. You may have a bit more needed to understand them, or conversely, other goons might not (or obstinately refuse to) get it. Have as much patience as needed or deserved. Some goons can, will, and want to learn and grow. Others will cling to their mudpit of idiocy as they know of nothing more and insist on making you a resident there. Expend energy accordingly, but if you need a second pair of eyes, don’t hesitate to DM me or email me at someawfulwitch at geemale dawt calm. I don’t have access to mod reports so that is usually the most expedient way of getting my attention outside of the Cuervo gold and the fine Columbian.

wise bards once said “you and me baby ain’t nothing but mammals, so let’s do it like they do on the discovery channel (build and document a thriving ecosystem of goons in their tall begoatsed towers, mocking redditors below for a laugh)”

I think these are good rules and guidelines. This is the thread I spend the most time in on the forums and I really loving hate the derails. Obviously discussion is fine, but I'm sure I'm not the only person who has scrolled through entire pages of 3 posters arguing about tipping, vegans, child support, or whatever while looking for the bold text that indicates actual content. Similarly, the fake story callouts are a cousin of the same kind of pedantic "well ackshually" posting that constitutes most of the derails, so no loss there either.

You are a tireless and highly active IK and this thread is better for having you in it, teen witch!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

quote:

I don't clean my sheets near enough but this is still too gross.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

quote:

Double post for content:

Do women coworkers not entrap men in this kind of thing? I worked in an almost all women office and they'd be sniping at each other all the time but seemed to just let me be... They were probably calling me a clueless idiot behind my back, but that's nothing new!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cobalt-60 posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Booshit > r/relationships: where I live 99% of the time the pizza gets there before the cops do

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Soylent Pudding posted:

Double post for content:

Sounds like it's time for Haribo Sugar Free Gummy Bears!

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Soylent Pudding posted:

I was 100% convinced this was building up to the mother stealing her glasses and making someone lead her around between photos while completely blind.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

champagne posting posted:

Sounds like it's time for Haribo Sugar Free Gummy Bears!

I have a different suggestion

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

teen witch posted:

sounds good to me but frankly I'd take the slapfights any day over the derails where every tedious motherfucker in GBS has to do a roll call on what kind of socks they wear, or where they stand on ketchup on fries, or whatever the gently caress.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Alchenar posted:

Honestly I'm willing to forgive a lot in that story on the basis of '18 year old living alone for the first time' because everyone has hosed up something that's pretty straightforward in adult life just because its their first time on encountering that thing, but getting home safe, reflecting on the encounter, and *still* calling the police really is something.

growing up I wasn't allowed to wash dishes so the first time I got my own place + dishwasher I loaded it up and then dumped half a bottle of liquid dish soap into it (just upturned bottle, blasting liquid dish soap all over the plates and whatnot)

sometimes when I close my eyes I still see the foam

Uncle ShortyB
Oct 18, 2013

"Do you think since your cat is dead I could

You know

Wear it?"

Soylent Pudding posted:

I'm lucky enough that I can mostly see without my glasses but if someone told me to take them off for a wedding photo when I had already cleared me wearing them (which is itself another weird can of worms for something I need to have on to see but I digress) with the most important people at the wedding, I wouldn't have been half as polite as this person was. Tellin me to take off the things I use to see because I'm "ruining the photo"? gently caress off. I need these and it's not even your call in this situation.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

send in the clowns

AITA for telling my girlfriend her clown makeup is embarrassing?

quote:

My gf and I are both women. Since I was in highschool, I've been really into wearing makeup. When I have lots of time in the morning, I can spend an hour+ on my face. My girlfriend on the other hand is very anti-makeup. She thinks it's a tool of oppression/shouldn't be required of her to wear in public, etc.

Corona restrictions are opening up, and last week we got into an argument after I made us late to a friend's party by spending too long getting ready to leave the house. She blew up on me in the car, basically saying that I shouldn't even have to wear makeup, and I'm just perpetuating gender stereotypes. I said my makeup was a form of creative expression, and it wasn't just so I could "look pretty for men." She said it was really convenient that my form of creative expression happens to look exactly like what men find conventionally attractive.

We ended up apologizing to each other and I thought that was the end of it, but yesterday we were going out to grocery shop and my gf came out of the bathroom wearing a full face of facepaint. I told her she can't go to the grocery store looking like that, and she told me it was based off of a cirque du Soleil clown, and that she's showing a legitimate form of "creative expression." I told her if she went out like that I would be embarrassed to be seen with her and she called me a bitch. AITA?

My boyfriend (17M) of about 3 years wants to be a clown… I (17F) am afraid of clowns…

quote:

So this whole thing started a few months back when my boyfriend, C, off-handedly commented on wanting to be a clown. He didn’t sound super serious, so I kind of brushed it off because I’m afraid of clowns and wouldn’t that suck if he decided he wanted to be one? He’s had other career interests; detective, film director, etc. so I thought it would be fine.

More recently, he’s gotten more serious about it. He contacted a fraternity type thing that his grandfather was in called (the) Freemasons (?). I don’t know exactly what they do (he didn’t seem to know either), but it kinda seems cultish to me, so I don’t know about that. He says it’s his dream and that if I really love him, I’ll deal with the whole clown thing and get over my fear. His reasoning is that fears are unhealthy and dream jobs are healthy, so my argument isn’t valid. We had a fight about it.

If I wasn’t afraid of clowns, this wouldn’t be an issue. It’s just that they REALLY creep me out and I don’t want to have to kiss one goodbye every morning, even if it is someone I love very much. I understand his side. It’s his dream and I want him to be happy, obviously, but I’m just angry (at the universe, I guess?) that that happiness happens to come from something that I want to avoid at all costs. Because that’s just my luck. If he wanted to be any other part of the circus, that would be totally fine, but why did it have to be clowns??

Breaking up with him isn’t an option here. I love him more than anything and we’ve been through so much together. I want to know how to deal with this situation without ending the relationship. I just need advice, because I don’t have many friends that can give me the advice I’m looking for.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 21, 2021

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Oh boy! I've been the make-up police before. It never works, stuff that poo poo in a sack regardless of your opinion.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Uncle ShortyB posted:

I'm lucky enough that I can mostly see without my glasses but if someone told me to take them off for a wedding photo when I had already cleared me wearing them (which is itself another weird can of worms for something I need to have on to see but I digress) with the most important people at the wedding, I wouldn't have been half as polite as this person was. Tellin me to take off the things I use to see because I'm "ruining the photo"? gently caress off. I need these and it's not even your call in this situation.

Same, though my gut says this person probably wouldn't have been as upset with a groomsman wearing glasses in the pictures.

OP was way too polite honestly, I don't think I'd stop until the MIL is the one loving off.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, nice makeup. For a clown to wear, to the grocery store

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
look unless they’re using Maybellines Great Lash I won’t judge

Or younique products

Please do not engage my bad makeup snark

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
The older I get and the more I get to know wasp-y people like my grandma and other boomers, the more frustrated I get with how obvious it is that vanity is most of what they ever cared about above all else.

Ironic because she dresses like absolute poo poo, with tucked-in shirts where her pants go up to her goddamn chest. Also pretty much no one talks to her regularly because she sucks and is constantly dismissive and condescending about real problems you have.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

send in the clowns

AITA for telling my girlfriend her clown makeup is embarrassing?

your much cooler girlfriend should break up with you op

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

My boyfriend (17M) of about 3 years wants to be a clown… I (17F) am afraid of clowns…

quote:

Clowns don't dress and make up like clowns 24 hours a day. Since you say breaking up isn't an option, lay down some ground rules. If he has to get ready at home, go out. When he's coming home, let him warn you, and you stay in your room while he de-clowns.

Thanks. That makes sense.

/Relationships: stay in your room while he de-clowns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

quote:

/Relationships: stay in your room while he de-clowns

I'll never De-clown!