Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

send in the clowns

AITA for telling my girlfriend her clown makeup is embarrassing?

It's really convenient that your form of creative expression happens to look exactly like what men find conventionally attractive you've determined complements your own facial features and hints at your own aesthetic tastes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
It's very normal to take pride in in your personal appearance and make an effort to look good, even if there isn't someone around whose interest they're trying to gain. Big respect for people trying to resist conventional beauty standards, but the girlfriend shouldn't judge the OP for not wanting to do so herself, and this "you just want to attract men" is dumb.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I work at a zoo, and sometimes smell atrocious after work, so bad that stores won't even let me in! My boyfriend seems to absolutely love the smell though...what does that mean?

quote:

He tries to subtly (but it's not subtle at all, haha) dissuade me from taking a shower or cleaning myself when I get home some nights, and he wants to cuddle and be all close with me after work, and I've caught him trying to take deep sniffs of the smell too. His desire to have sex or do romantic things also seems much higher on nights where the smell is particularly foul.

It's not just that I'm sweaty and stinky with BO after work, although that's true too...If I was shoveling poo poo out of a hot muggy elephant barn, I smell like concentrated elephant barn stench! Or if I'm cleaning up after the big cats...that tiger piss smell sinks into your hair and skin and lasts the rest of the day (most wild animal urine is used for marking territory and is not easily removable). Or if I was working with the otters I'll smell like bad fish and mustelid musk (ferret stink on steroids)

I'm used to it all, but it can be so bad that on particularly bad days I've been turned away from stores on the rare occasion I've tried to shop after work. But he can't get enough of it! What does this mean? I've heard some guys have a fetish for girl's body odor but I'm a lot stinker than just BO!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I used to get into some big round and round with my ex and even my current SO about how they wouldn't wear make-up if they weren't trying to impress people on some degree. But ultimately there's some truth to that in like everything you do and I know I'm a dummy now.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

pentyne posted:

Wasn't there an AAM about some middle manager who organized a happy hour or something, was encouraging everyone to eat some weed edibles, then surprised then with a drug test the next day?

Are you thinking of this one from the BWM thread?

ed: page late, gently caress

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 21, 2021

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

lmao she called your bluff and you're mad.

To me, that's the biggest difference between someone who really is using makeup as creative expression and someone who's just saying that as a talking point. I don't wear concealer under my eyes as creative expression, I wear it because my dark circles are a loving nightmare. You can just admit you want to look hot.

I mean, I sympathize with not having patience for 'makeup is oppression' lectures. I've got rosacea and between that and my dark circles strangers get concerned about the disease they assume I have. I'm already a fatty, my foundation is not obligating you to wear poo poo, why are you assuming men have anything to do with this. But all OP had to do was support her girlfriend doing avante-garde facepaint and she would have had the high ground in this weird argument they're having. Stop ceding to the idea that it is inherently oppressed behavior to want to look in the mirror and see someone you find attractive.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

teen witch posted:

Ok y’all, down for some input on the below proposed guidelines

I like all of this, but I'd love to see the "no abuse stories" bit that's already in the OP expanded on, like maybe a guideline to tread extra carefully when a borderline story involves kids, other especially vulnerable people, or animals.

And maybe a reminder for folks to consider whether the personal stories that a reddit post reminded them of are a good fit for the tone of the thread.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

teen witch posted:

look unless they’re using Maybellines Great Lash I won’t judge

Or younique products

Please do not engage my bad makeup snark

Wanting to makeup snark but not letting us do it back seems real <puts on my Versace by Fendi sunglasses> TooFaced

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Zurtilik posted:

I work at a zoo, and sometimes smell atrocious after work, so bad that stores won't even let me in! My boyfriend seems to absolutely love the smell though...what does that mean?

This seems to a best case scenario for someone who will be working with wild animal piss as a career.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

send in the clowns

I said my makeup was a form of creative expression, and it wasn't just so I could "look pretty for men."

I told her she can't go to the grocery store looking like that, and she told me it was based off of a cirque du Soleil clown, and that she's showing a legitimate form of "creative expression."

She's got you there, sister.

OP should just throw her head back, laugh, and go to the grocery store with her facepainted GF.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Zurtilik posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRIfvw_8ks0&t=114s

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

AITA for asking my wife to not bring her stuffed animal to restaurants with us all the time?

quote:

My(44m) wife(32f) has always liked stuffed animals, but in the last few years she’s started buying larger ones, more frequently. It never really bothered me, in fact I found it kind of endearing and I’ve bought several of them for her. A couple of years ago, she found one that she REALLY liked, a pig wearing pajamas, about a foot tall, and she began bringing it with her when we traveled, taking pictures of it in front of landmarks etc. to post to social media.

She got a few looks from people, presumably because she’s a grown rear end woman carrying a stuffy with her, but I never thought much of it, that was her jam.

However, not long after, she started bringing it to restaurants with us, sometimes even asking if it could have its own chair. I thought this was a bit silly but it wasn’t hurting anyone so I didn’t say anything. Then, one time we were out for happy hour drinks and oysters at a somewhat upscale place (Coast, for those familiar with Vancouver) and she brought the stuffy. I had a crazy day at work and was a bit tired, and I noticed quite a few people glancing in our direction. I was acutely aware of how this might look to others - white guy with younger Asian wife carrying a stuffy, and I became so self conscious of the looks that I had a hard time enjoying my time with my wife.

So, I asked her if she could sometimes maybe just leave the stuffy at home. She said ok, but after thinking about it for a couple of minutes she became very angry, shouted “why, do I embarrass you??!!” and stormed out of the place, which then became silent lol. When I got home she was still fuming and felt personally attacked by my request. I tried explaining myself but it basically ended by her saying she’d bring it anywhere she drat well pleased. I didn’t push it further because I didn’t think it was worth fighting over more, and didn’t bring it up again.

She’s since mostly gotten out of this phase, and I probably wouldn’t have said anything to her if I hadn’t been a bit tired and grumpy that day, but in this instance was I the AH for asking her to leave the stuffy at home sometimes?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

deety posted:

I like all of this, but I'd love to see the "no abuse stories" bit that's already in the OP expanded on, like maybe a guideline to tread extra carefully when a borderline story involves kids, other especially vulnerable people, or animals.

And maybe a reminder for folks to consider whether the personal stories that a reddit post reminded them of are a good fit for the tone of the thread.

Good call!

Barudak posted:

Wanting to makeup snark but not letting us do it back seems real <puts on my Versace by Fendi sunglasses> TooFaced

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Zurtilik posted:

AITA for asking my wife to not bring her stuffed animal to restaurants with us all the time?

sometimes the correct response to "do i embarrass you" is "yes"

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for refusing to take off my glasses at a wedding?
NTA.

However, as someone with terrible eyesight, an alternative correct answer I’ve experienced on several occasions is to agree take off my glasses, then just wait ten minutes.

Why? Because what actually happens is that without my glasses I can’t see the camera and am just guessing at the vague blob, so I will invariably be looking in the slightly wrong direction. Then the photographer notices and tries to signal something of “look right here” but I can’t see that signal either so I yet again end up looking in the slightly wrong direction.

After a couple failed rounds of this, there will be someone who says “this isn’t working, can’t you just give him his glasses back? nobody cares if someone’s wearing glasses in a photo, god drat”.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Zurtilik posted:

I really want to know when and how they started dating. I want to say "This is what happens when you get a child bride" but I'll reserve judgement. Either way she should probably talk to someone about her regressing.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

MagusofStars posted:

NTA.

However, as someone with terrible eyesight, an alternative correct answer I’ve experienced on several occasions is to agree take off my glasses, then just wait ten minutes.

Why? Because what actually happens is that without my glasses I can’t see the camera and am just guessing at the vague blob, so I will invariably be looking in the slightly wrong direction. Then the photographer notices and tries to signal something of “look right here” but I can’t see that signal either so I yet again end up looking in the slightly wrong direction.

After a couple failed rounds of this, there will be someone who says “this isn’t working, can’t you just give him his glasses back? nobody cares if someone’s wearing glasses in a photo, god drat”.

Pop culture has told me thousands of times that "guys don't make passes at girls that wear glasses", but I've literally never found this to be true. Are there really people out there who think that glasses look bad?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

It's just :biotruths: who wants a genetically weaker mate who can't see?!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Zurtilik posted:

wearing contacts, like wearing makeup, is basically lying

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Zurtilik posted:

The easy way out of this is to just explain to everyone that it's a social media thing and that the pig has thousands of followers and sponsors and then people will be jealous and start doing it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Neito posted:

Pop culture has told me thousands of times that "guys don't make passes at girls that wear glasses", but I've literally never found this to be true. Are there really people out there who think that glasses look bad?

I think thats more because guys try to masquerade with gals in shades, which, oh no and you won't believe how many men in the year 2021 keep trying to switch blades in front of them too.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Is there a way to like batch search subreddits? I look for terms but a lot of the results are obviously not the type of subreddit I would want. So like instead of one subreddit or the whole or Reddit could I just search like r/deadbedrooms, r/relationships, r/aita, for example?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

New Jack City is what I named my line of men's hand moisturizers.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I don't necessarily mind when people go off on tipping or share their 2 cents on socks with sandals or w/e, just as long as there's content to go along with it. Argue about punching babies all you want as long as you're posting some stories with it.

Also on a sorta related note, can we not do the thing where one person slams out like 4 stories back to back to back? Like within minutes of each other? It buries stuff and is also kind of obnoxious.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Zurtilik posted:

Oh boy! I've been the make-up police before. It never works, stuff that poo poo in a sack regardless of your opinion.

So everyone sucks here?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

ShootaBoy posted:

I don't necessarily mind when people go off on tipping or share their 2 cents on socks with sandals or w/e, just as long as there's content to go along with it. Argue about punching babies all you want as long as you're posting some stories with it.

Also on a sorta related note, can we not do the thing where one person slams out like 4 stories back to back to back? Like within minutes of each other? It buries stuff and is also kind of obnoxious.

We can’t not do that, sorry.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

spouse posted:

Proposed to my (30) GF (35) with a World of Warcraft ring that has the WoW Insignia on it and I've lost her ever since and need her back.

Dang, guess that's a no on the mildly WoW-themed wedding

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Zurtilik posted:

As a glasses wearer, I'm afraid I'll have to fight you

*takes glasses off, gets comically entangled in a banana lounge and falls off hotel balcony.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Neito posted:

The only time I've been asked to take my glasses off for a photo is when my Coke bottle lenses created too much glare. (It also creates a weird effect where my eyes appear smaller, like someone did a Charlie Kirk meme.)

So my ID photo shows me staring into space like I just crawled out of a wrecked car.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Neito posted:

Pop culture has told me that women are at their most beautiful when they take off their glasses, let their hair down, and turn away from a mirror, so the glasses logically must be holding them back

Zurtilik posted:

Timothy: Origins

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I'm probably going to buy myself some stupid fancy blue-light filtering lenses as an excuse to wear glasses more because I think they look hot and my stupid perfect eyesight has hindered my potential for too long.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Had a big argument with my (25F) boyfriend (27M) about meeting his family/knowing where he lives

quote:

My boyfriend and I had a big fight 4 days ago and we haven’t spoken on the phone since then besides a few texts on how our day is going. Basically I’ve been wanting to meet his family/know where he lives but he refuses to do those things, and we’ve argued about it months ago so I just let it go. We’re a year in now and it’s made me feel really insecure so I told him, and he got really angry. Huffing while I was telling him, and he said “I don’t comfort him”, I just “want to tear him down”, “you don’t support me in anything”, which hurts because I try my best to do anything I can for him if he even let’s me emotionally. He doesn’t want me to meet his family because he’s nervous of judgement, and they pressure him to buy a house and me meeting them will only worsen that. Apparently they know about me, but I’m not sure if I believe it. He doesn’t want me to know where he lives because he lives with his uncle who he originally told me was a white roommate from florida (a lie). His house isn’t dirty and he isn’t married since we’re on FaceTime a lot, but I think he doesn’t want me to because his uncle and his girlfriend are living there. What do I do? I feel really lost and maybe I’m the one in the wrong here. I can’t tell my friends because I know they’ll just say to leave him.

TL;DR Boyfriend is very angry that I feel insecure about not being able to meet any of his family and not knowing where he lives.

P.S he hasn’t met any of my family either. He agreed after I was really upset about it but it only consisted of saying hi to my brother when I was dropping some groceries off to him. My boyfriend said I didn’t appreciate that and it made him more mad

"You said he was your white roommate from Florida. The lie detector test shows... that was a lie."

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Elissimpark posted:

As a glasses wearer, I'm afraid I'll have to fight you

I became instantly angry

*takes glasses off, gets comically entangled in a banana lounge and falls off hotel balcony.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

caterpillaropera posted:

AITA for reporting someone I thought was creepy… now I’m the one in trouble

If this really were a case of "18 year old woman being suspicious of man demanding her information" it'd be cool, but I've got a sneaking suspicion this is just "I wanted my dog who isn't a real ESA in the dorm with me and someone's gonna call me on my bullshit so I need a post-hoc justification to cover my rear end".

From my college experience, most kids in dorms can't even take care of their own hygiene, let alone a dog.

therobit posted:

This one got me angry.

AITA for snapping at my wife and calling her selfish?

Dr. Video Games 0135 posted:

Dang, guess that's a no on the mildly WoW-themed wedding

"Uncle, the song said 'slide to the left' and you clearly 'took it back now, y'all'. That's minus 50 DKP."

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Ah crap, it was right there.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

caterpillaropera posted:

AITA for reporting someone I thought was creepy… now I’m the one in trouble

I have a small beejohn (idk how to spell I just know my mom calls her that) yorky.

I am trying to figure out whether this person has a yorkie that her mom thinks is a bichon frise, a beejohn that she thinks is a yorkie, a mutt, or some other small dog that she's hilariously wrong about.

For reference, this is a beejohn

and this is a yorky

They are very difficult to mix up if you have functioning eyeballs.

Uncle ShortyB
Oct 18, 2013

"Do you think since your cat is dead I could

You know

Wear it?"

haveblue posted:

Yeah, nice makeup. For a clown to wear, to the grocery store

I like this. Anyway, content time:

AITA for never returning my friend’s oven mitts

quote:

Hey Reddit. I’m using a throwaway for all the usual reasons and I’m on mobile so excuse the formatting.

I feel so silly even writing this out but I didn’t know where else to turn so I’m coming to you all for help to shed some light on a huge argument that my friend, Mara (37f), and I are having. You see it all goes back to two years ago when I moved into my new apartment and Mara gave me one of those frozen lasagnas to make as a housewarming meal. I realized that I didn’t have any oven mitts and that it would be tricky to take it out of the oven once it was really hot, so I asked if she could bring over a spare. I could have just bought some, but I was really short on cash since I just moved and that wasted all my petty cash for the month.

Mara actually had no problem bringing over some oven mitts. We even had a whole dinner with her visit, I made the lasagna and some brownies. Mara brought her fiancé at the time (he’s now her husband) and her little nephew that she was babysitting. After the dinner and cleanup her nephew, who was 1 1/2 at the time was really tired and so they went home and no one even thought of the oven mitts.

I honestly forgot that she leant me them and figured she gifted them to me because she’s never asked for them back since. Until last night when she texted me saying “hey you never returned my oven mitts???” And I was confused because it was two years ago you know? And so I said I thought they were a gift and she said no she was only lending them to me and she’s tired of waiting for me to “do the right thing” and return them. She now expects me to mail them (her husband is immunocompromised and they’re not letting anyone over) to her house and pay for the postage. I think this is ridiculous and told her so. She’s now calling me an a-hole and a bad friend because of this.

What do you think Reddit, AITA for never returning the oven mitts or is my friends TA?

2 years for a set of oven mitts? If I left a spare set of like, oven mitts or tongs or whatever at my friend's house after they just moved in and forgot them, even if I remembered like 6 months later or whatever I would just ask "Hey do you even still have those?" and they said "yeah you left them here and I assumed it was a gift." I would honestly just say "Alright they're your problem now." The gently caress do you urgently need oven mitts for 2 years after you forgot them that can't wait to order them from like, amazon or whatever? Especially if your solution is "Mail them back to me and pay for it."

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
My (25M) mom wants my wife (25F) to use my last name for her PhD

quote:

My wife is in graduate school and shared a picture with her cohort. My mom reshared it and her comments were such as this: “Soon, we’ll have a Dr. (My last name) in the family.” We saw her for dinner on Sunday and she expressed a similar message. My wife corrected her and said that actually she would go by Dr. maiden name. Even before my wife made the compelling argument to me that she started grad school with her maiden name, is going to be the first PhD in her family and is co-published on a major paper with her UG advisor, has two papers in an undergraduate research journal and is now first author on one project and second on another under her maiden name, I just didn’t really care what she decided to call herself. Even still, the case for her keeping her maiden name is strong and it makes sense.

My mom made a very strange point that she needed to get used to being a married woman and I cut her off, told her that I really thought that that was enough out of her. My wife looked like she was going to annihilate her and my dad tried for a change of subject. She’s already explained why she’s going by her maiden name for professional purposes, it never bothered me and I really think she should just get over it because it is what it is. My mom threw a fit about whether or not we would use our (my family’s) last name for future kids and mentally, I’d already decided that the conversation was closed so did not engage further. My dad told her that it wasn’t any of her business how our kids were named and I thanked my dad for having an ounce of tact and asked if we could move on now.

Dinner went on normally for a time and then descended into more chaos as we were leaving when my mom asked her to at least consider hyphenating her name because it would mean a lot to her (my mom) and that there are certain values in marriage that we shouldn’t let go of. I said “oh my God will you STOP it.” My dad pulled me on the side and reminded me that he and my mom are old school. He thinks she should change her name too, he’s just too polite to actually say it out loud. We went out separate ways after that but it was just such a deeply aggravating experience to witness my mom’s entitlement in that particular case. She just would not let it go.

How do I get my mom to drop this? Do I just not engage and ignore? Or is there something else that needs to be said? More explanation?

TLDR mom’s upset that wife is using her maiden name professionally

now that i moved across the country for husband's job, he is perfectly willing to lose said job because of vaccine mandate

quote:

we married last year. he got laid off and worked inconsistently. it was very hard on me because i felt like because of my income he didnt seem too concerned about holding a steady job. he finally got a good job about four months ago. i moved across the country to a place i have ZERO connection to because of HIS career. now his employer has announced if they dont get vaccine by a certain date they are gone. Husband seems perfectly fine with that. has ZERO intention of getting vaccine. my job from other state has let me work remote but not sure for how long and i just declined coverage for health insurance during open enrollment because our plan was to get on HIS insurance. well if he gets fired we can't get on his insurance.
I dont like his attitude. Personally, i have the vaccine and got it before it was mandated. He is a conspiracy theorist who has started coming up with all these theories about why the vaccine isn't really a vaccine and it's injecting something else and believes that the more people are dying from the vaccine than from covid. when i tell him that most people dying from covid are unvaccinated, he dismisses that because he assumes i learned this from the media and is CONVINCED the opposite is true. I asked him if he's worried about his career and saving money and paying his bills. his response was literally we won't need to worry about that if the world is going to end. he bought SURVIVAL food.

i wouldn't really care if people have these beliefs but the problem is i care about paying the bills and having health insurance and living day to day . i dont live assuming the world is going to end. And we were talking about buying a house and maybe having a kid but i'm having serious second thoughts about this.. im seriously wondering if this marriage is going to work

Woodchip fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 21, 2021

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Puppy Time posted:

I am trying to figure out whether this person has a yorkie that her mom thinks is a bichon frise, a beejohn that she thinks is a yorkie, a mutt, or some other small dog that she's hilariously wrong about.

For reference, this is a beejohn

and this is a yorky

They are very difficult to mix up if you have functioning eyeballs.

Googling "bichon yorkie" brings up loads of results and pictures.

It's a cross between a bichon frise and yorkie. Surprise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Uncle ShortyB posted:

I like this. Anyway, content time:

AITA for never returning my friend’s oven mitts

2 years for a set of oven mitts? If I left a spare set of like, oven mitts or tongs or whatever at my friend's house after they just moved in and forgot them, even if I remembered like 6 months later or whatever I would just ask "Hey do you even still have those?" and they said "yeah you left them here and I assumed it was a gift." I would honestly just say "Alright they're your problem now." The gently caress do you urgently need oven mitts for 2 years after you forgot them that can't wait to order them from like, amazon or whatever? Especially if your solution is "Mail them back to me and pay for it."

Maybe the friend has been eating cold lasagne for the past two years because of the OP's obliviousness. Just sadly watching the lasagne go cold in the oven, becasue they don't have oven mitts to get it out.