Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
We're maxed out on pine for the test group. Maybe we should up the bone ash to salt ratio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
Also, where is a good place to start reading about the seedy underbelly of government subsidies and lobbying in the ag sector?

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
triple posting now, but is/was canned food a net positive or negative invention for humanity? Are there any available numbers on how much commercial canned food was consumed after it became available up until refrigerators were widely adopted?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the book "salt sugar fat" talks about how poo poo like cheetos was developed

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
in other news

"scientists now believe that plastic waste problem can be solved if law of conservation of mass temporarily suspended"
"new report indicates that biosphere might heal if time reversed"
"research shows immortality could be achieved by abolishing dying"

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

lol "there are signs of hope - coral can recover in these conditions which we will not manage to create, we're actually gonna go on making the sea even warmer so all coral dies"

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

actionjackson posted:

but nothing anywhere close to this scale, and the fact that they did doesn't make it right. I don't see how you can believe in reproductive freedom going one way (abortion) but not the other (choosing to produce a child). also what would you even do globally to women who had >1 children exactly?

A 0 child policy is the greatest mercy we could give to humanity at this point lol. We will do nothing about anyone having kids because the collapsed biosphere will show them the error of their ways soon enough.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Slavvy posted:

Isn't it more of an evolutionary process where they find a way to cut costs by substituting x ingredient with sawdust, then focus groups decide if it's acceptable or not? Multiply that by a hundred iterations and you get the modern big mac or whatever.

No, it's about making it as addictive as possible through engineering and lobbying to get or continue subsidies for important inputs like corn and dairy

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Source4Leko posted:

As someone who's going through this now I'm just gonna say if it wouldn't have 100% been guaranteed to destroy my life and make me homeless I would have transitioned 20 years ago. It's like how once we stopped beating people for being left handed wow suddenly 10% of the population is left handed!
I agree that this is likely the strongest causative factor, and I also want to share a 2004 (please pardon the outdated terminology) grad thesis that lays out the one causative edc pathway: Transsexualism: An Unacknowledged Endpoint of Developmental Endocrine Disruption?

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Stereotype posted:

under capitalism we will burn literally everything that can burn. burning things makes money.
what we need is to invent a new kind of economy and politics that explicitly rejects capitalism

maybe we can get some billionaires to help us create this hypothetical new society

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Doctor Jeep posted:

lol "there are signs of hope - coral can recover in these conditions which we will not manage to create, we're actually gonna go on making the sea even warmer so all coral dies"

We'll use tidal generators and solar energy to water condition the ocean. Nothing can go wrong.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Stereotype posted:

under capitalism we will burn literally everything that can burn. burning things makes money.

Turns out prometheus got off light

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

take_it_slow posted:

I agree that this is likely the strongest causative factor, and I also want to share a 2004 (please pardon the outdated terminology) grad thesis that lays out the one causative edc pathway: Transsexualism: An Unacknowledged Endpoint of Developmental Endocrine Disruption?

This is interesting thanks!

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

lol I read this three times assuming I was missing something because they couldn't possibly be that obtuse.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
2c on the trans elephant

It's extremely unlikely I would have been able to discover my non-binary trans identity if I was born sufficiently earlier than I was. My gender was always something I could not articulate or identify, but the gender dysphoria existed nonetheless - and that too, of course, went unidentified even if the depression and anxiety didn't. Really unless I happened to meet a transperson serendipitously or else reasoned that I should seek one out - if I knew where any were -then I don't really see this happening without mass media and communication. Actually a transwoman I met online and then met in person was instrumental to the discovery of my own identity.

I'm not bothered by the idea that my gender is a consequence of environmental factors though, if it is. Ultimately what it tells us about transpeople is not much of anything - transpeople exist and have rights, how we came to be doesn't really matter in the end. It's ultimately impossible to disentangle any person, any identity, from its historical situation, which is also tied to their time, place, and environment, of course, among other things.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
It is a cruelty that microplastics in everything didn't turn us all into himbos and bimbos. Instead we get dead oceans and dysphoria.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/danarubinstein/status/1451194396406280196
did you hear that in twenty years the new york pension fund will only make investments into net-zero carbon entities

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
:aochloe:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
my emissions after i die will be zero eventually, but once they're zero they'll be zero forever, so really everything I do while living is net zero emissions and nothing matters.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Perry Mason Jar posted:

2c on the trans elephant

It's extremely unlikely I would have been able to discover my non-binary trans identity if I was born sufficiently earlier than I was. My gender was always something I could not articulate or identify, but the gender dysphoria existed nonetheless - and that too, of course, went unidentified even if the depression and anxiety didn't. Really unless I happened to meet a transperson serendipitously or else reasoned that I should seek one out - if I knew where any were -then I don't really see this happening without mass media and communication. Actually a transwoman I met online and then met in person was instrumental to the discovery of my own identity.

I'm not bothered by the idea that my gender is a consequence of environmental factors though, if it is. Ultimately what it tells us about transpeople is not much of anything - transpeople exist and have rights, how we came to be doesn't really matter in the end. It's ultimately impossible to disentangle any person, any identity, from its historical situation, which is also tied to their time, place, and environment, of course, among other things.

I think these are very smart and clear eyed thoughts and it sucks that it would take so much to even begin to have the conversation about this in the public square.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Rectal Death Adept posted:

https://twitter.com/danarubinstein/status/1451194396406280196
did you hear that in twenty years the new york pension fund will only make investments into net-zero carbon entities

we did it

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Perry Mason Jar posted:

2c on the trans elephant

I was trying to type basically this out then saw you posted it. I agree with everything you said.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

actionjackson posted:

the book "salt sugar fat" talks about how poo poo like cheetos was developed

The author just same out with a new book called hooked. I got it in from the library and am about to crack it open with a bottle of stout. Will post any fresh takes but I expect it to be a bit more of the same.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
How quaint: https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2021/10/20/lancet-climate-inaction-threatens-millions/

Using the M-word instead of the B-word. :allears:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

mmmmmtoobefaaaaair, they could have said dozens

hundreds of millions of dozens

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
If we're still on the plastics and obesity discussion, someone mentioned portion sizes going up. But why? Why did we suddenly want larger portions? Endocrine disruption of the signals that tell you you're full is one possibility.

Also the biggest predictor of whether your kids will have autism is how close you live to a highway. While the noise pollution and gas fumes are being studied, the effects of inhaling powdered tires is unknown.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Another report I remembered:

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

headline is technically correct

gonna slap a Snopes true on that one

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

If we're still on the plastics and obesity discussion, someone mentioned portion sizes going up. But why? Why did we suddenly want larger portions? Endocrine disruption of the signals that tell you you're full is one possibility.

Also the biggest predictor of whether your kids will have autism is how close you live to a highway. While the noise pollution and gas fumes are being studied, the effects of inhaling powdered tires is unknown.

portion sizes have actually gone down in recent years because its a way to raise profits without directly raising box price and people are a little less likely to notice their past-a-roni box going up $1 than it would be to have 1oz cut. also a lot of fast food has gone slightly down in portion size because it makes it look healthier calorie-wise but it's actually just smaller portion.

some of the initial portion-size arms-race was BIGGEST BANG FOR THE BUCK with material costs actually being dirt cheap, like pennies, at the time, so why not load it up; but it's stopped and even somewhat reversed in the past decade.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The difference between mass consumption food and the sort of stuff still grown on smaller sustainable farms is kind of gigantic, even if the latter has degraded over time as well. Trying to eat the former is that goddamn "But you're still hungry..." chrono trigger meme. 10 minutes later you're hungry again because there's next-to-no nutrient content.

And it ain't getting better.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i decided to do the dorito chip smell test thing but before i knew it i was waking up from a mild coma with an empty bag and dorito dust all over my hands and face?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

remember when coca cola subjected the world to a months-long media blitz about how healthy vitamin water was, then when all the health bloggers came out of the woodwork after a while to say hey actually this poo poo is bad for you coca cola was like "yup lol you got us" but it had achieved market saturation by then so now we just have a lovely sugar drink called vitamin water in every store

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

God Hole posted:

remember when coca cola subjected the world to a months-long media blitz about how healthy vitamin water was, then when all the health bloggers came out of the woodwork after a while to say hey actually this poo poo is bad for you coca cola was like "yup lol you got us" but it had achieved market saturation by then so now we just have a lovely sugar drink called vitamin water in every store

lol I had no idea about the vitamin water thing but get dunked on consumers trying to be healthy:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-dark-side-of-vitaminw_b_669716

quote:

In a staggering feat of twisted logic, lawyers for Coca-Cola are defending the lawsuit by asserting that "no consumer could reasonably be misled into thinking vitaminwater was a healthy beverage."

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.
Sounds bad

https://twitter.com/AlexCKaufman/status/1451340454579122178

Otoh, lol lmao. This entire decade is going to be lol lmao.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Have you heard that the world's largest carbon capture plant just opened in Iceland?

lmao

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

hobbesmaster posted:

Well, for one thing the signals that tell you you've had enough to eat are gone.

glad I count calories lol

I ate so much of that microwave popcorn poo poo as a kid. I would lick the bags. I am not living to 60.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

It is a cruelty that microplastics in everything didn't turn us all into himbos and bimbos. Instead we get dead oceans and dysphoria.

Kept hearing of plastic surgery all my life but it turns out it's just plastic interrupting my brain functions with surgical precision.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

fanfic insert posted:

Kept hearing of plastic surgery all my life but it turns out it's just plastic interrupting my brain functions with surgical precision.

if I remember right, being fully infused with microplastics can sometimes result in breast augmentation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Let them who haven't been stuffed to the gills with industrial waste products since birth cast the first plastiglomerate rock