Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Having some 16 year old over while all the adults are drinking is a bit hinky, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Zurtilik posted:

My (30M) girlfriend's (24F) anime-geek friends (M29-34) drive me crazy and frankly, I want to beat them

I spent this entire post thinking everyone was in their early 20s so the fact that everyone apart from OP's GF is in their late 20s-30s was some serious whiplash. Anyway ESH, dude's really lame but so are these disgusting okatu pigmen who hang around with 16 year olds.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I missed the 16 year olds bit but to my defense why read when u can post

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Yeah that guy isn't wrong on reading some of that poo poo as weird. It's just his reaction is wishing someone would yell slurs and beat people up.

purplestuffedworm
Oct 11, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Having some 16 year old over while all the adults are drinking is a bit hinky, at least.

This, and having nerd poo poo as your entire personality and spending more on it than you can afford, is pretty much on the same level as being a perpetually broke weed! or booze! guy. Somewhat understandable if not optimal if you're like 21, increasingly depressing as you move into and through your 30s. That being said, the OP doesn't seem to actually be upset that his GF's social circle is emotionally stunted and has questionable boundaries, but that they aren't socially acceptable enough, with some gross classism thrown in. The real head-scratcher is why he hasn't already broken up with the GF, since he clearly has contempt for every aspect of her lifestyle?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Because if he is single at 30 that's going to cut into his American Beauty Psycho exterior he has set up.

purplestuffedworm
Oct 11, 2012

Zurtilik posted:

Because if he is single at 30 that's going to cut into his American Beauty Psycho exterior he has set up.

But he weighs 150 lb, owns a condo, and doesn't do cosplay! Surely no svelte 24-year-old female will be able to resist his charms.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Nerd Hater posted:

I was dressed up as awkward/embarrassed man

lol

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I've been struggling for a halloween costume idea.

Won't have to do much effort either.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

purplestuffedworm posted:

That being said, the OP doesn't seem to actually be upset that his GF's social circle is emotionally stunted and has questionable boundaries, but that they aren't socially acceptable enough, with some gross classism thrown in.
Yeah, that was my reading of it too.

There are legitimate reasons for him to worry about her lifestyle. She's in her mid-20's with apparently no interest in finding a job or building a career, her entire income relies on her parents being willing/able to keep mailing her money, she sees nothing wrong with a bunch of 20/30-somethings drinking late into the night with a 16 year old, etc.

But none of that is what he's worried about; no, he's primarily concerned about their hobbies not being Proper Adult Hobbies.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Dude's got a bunch of unresolved issues from being bullied. Just let your girlfriend enjoy her cartoons you dummy.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I can't tell if he's just calling them autistic because he thinks it's an insult, or if they're actually autistic and he thinks someone should have beaten it out of them.

Not that I would like or want to hang out with those weebs (clean your loving apartment and don't hang out with teens you creeps), but he's really fixated on, "they watch cartoons and act like dorks in public while having lovely jobs".

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

there are plenty of dirty weebs in the sea

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I prefer the air!

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Yeah that's a classic ESH. He's right in to be concerned about them bringing underage girls around and they're addicted to their hobbies to the point that they ask his girlfriend for money. But he goes extreme in how much he hates them and thinks they're childish. If he could dial it back and focus on what's important he'd get a lot more sympathy

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

u may not like how it looks but nature's harsh, and in the last decade we've all seen the terrible consequences of depriving nerds of their natural predator, the jock

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 22, 2021

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Getting weebs to eat better is honestly easy mode because all you have to do is teach them to make Japanese food. If you want to trick them into exercising, LARP exists. If you have a local store where they buy all their nerd poo poo, point out that working there will get her a discount and let her know when they have the good poo poo in stock. There are a lot of ways to support your cringe girlfriend if you don't keep bringing the conversation around to how she embarrasses you and she should watch Real Cinema and play paintball.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I kind of want the guy to list out what he considers real cinema, because I am near certain it's the same tryhard poo poo as always.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

going for the longshot that this time it's Volver and not Boondock Saints

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

u may not like how it looks but nature's harsh, and in the last decade we've all seen the terrible consequences of depriving nerds of their natural predator, the jock

He's not even a jock, he specifically says he got bullied in school for being a nerd

It turns out bullying is actually universally bad and has no positive effects

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the fact that Blade happens to be a daywalker doesn't mean the world doesn't need vampire hunters

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Nerd girl's friends are all trash that need to be thrown into the garbage. Bad hygiene, always borrowing money, hanging out with underage kids. OP is broke brained from being bullied as a kid and is now hyper focused on being perceived as normal. ESH, except maybe the girlfriend who needs to learn that there are people who share her interests without being vile human beings.

Side note: some goons need to take a good hard look at their lives if they're knee-jerk rushing to defend a bunch of disgusting slobs just because they like thing.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dazerbeams posted:

Nerd girl's friends are all trash that need to be thrown into the garbage. Bad hygiene, always borrowing money, hanging out with underage kids. OP is broke brained from being bullied as a kid and is now hyper focused on being perceived as normal. ESH, except maybe the girlfriend who needs to learn that there are people who share her interests without being vile human beings.

Side note: some goons need to take a good hard look at their lives if they're knee-jerk rushing to defend a bunch of disgusting slobs just because they like thing.

Pretty much what I was thinking too.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I feel like a less lovely boyfriend would be like: "I don't mind your hobbies, but you need to find better people who are interested. Maybe we can go to a con or something and find some new friends? If you keep hanging out with these people I don't know if I can abide by it much longer."

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

The nerd crew sounds insufferable.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Dazerbeams posted:

I think it's less about rushing to defend foul nerds than dogpiling a less than stellar boyfriend during a lull in DIPAC stories.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The amount of underage people who want to be cool and the amount of older people who don't see the problem with it is a big concern of mine if I ever went big into the nerd scenes. It's one thing if you're all like 20 and a 17 year old rolls up. But you can't be 30 and doing the same poo poo, no one will feel bad for you when you get caught.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Zurtilik posted:

I feel like a less lovely boyfriend would be like: "I don't mind your hobbies, but you need to find better people who are interested. Maybe we can go to a con or something and find some new friends? If you keep hanging out with these people I don't know if I can abide by it much longer."

Yeah, basically this. It's too late now, though, because he's already conflated the things that make them gross with his girlfriend's hobbies. The cartoons and cosplay are not what make them awful, but because he fixated on that, it's all she's going to hear when he tries to bring it up.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I think this is how marriage should be

quote:

My husband (47m) is sitting on the couch naked, playing his PS5, drinking a beer. We just stole some of my 13yr olds candy and we started laughing at our caper. He chocked on caramel and said ‘if this is how I have to go then this is how I will go’ as if choking on this stolen candy was totally worth it. I love this man. Can’t imagine my life with anyone else

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Disapproval of bf’s gaming/figurine hobby is making us both feel angry and sad

quote:

Me: Female. We are both in our early 20’s. Dating 1 year.

Even before we started dating I made it no secret that I don't like gaming/anime/figurines. He LOVES gaming and considers it a passion. He has all of the gaming consoles, shelves of games, and heaps more on his custom gaming desktop. His other shelve is covered in figurines. Anime, gundam, and gaming related; he has them all.

We have both been upfront about how we feel and decided that we would both try to compromise.Fast forward one year. We have both changed. He buys considerable less games, spends less time playing them, and spends less money on them.(Quite impressive right?) I now am now the proud owner of a shiny new laptop, and a Ds with a couple games to play. (Portal is pretty cool!) I consider this progress but even after all this, sometimes it just bothers the crap out of me.

When I think about games/figurines these are the issue that I have:

While he has a considerable amount of expendable income now, what happens if we start planning for the future? I just can’t find it in me to justify $60/100 on a game no matter the amount of money you have (Relevant: I, on the other hand, live on a strict budget and come from a dead poor family. He comes from upper class, vacation home, boat owners. Thus we have different views on the value of the dollar)
He’s a collector and over time collections grow. Will I be 40 and have an entire room in my house dedicated to figurines? I HATE knick knacks and clutter.
While I could live with games alone, figurines are meant for display and I would rather not have them displayed where I see them all the time.
I don’t want my children playing video games, and I especially don't want them around violent/shooting games. I know he feels differently.
I’ m not sure what to do, I feel like we have both made an effort. Its unfair to ask him to change/stop when its clear this is what he loves. And I dont want him to, I feel like the problem lies with me not being accepting enough.

Hows do I address my concerns when I am the one who has stopped feeling willing to compromise? How do I move forward with my relationship? I love him and I want to make this work.

TL;DR: Despite compromise and change I still can’t see a future where I can live in harmony with all of my bf’s stuff. Issues such as money concerns, aesthetic value, and general disapproval keep me from seeing a happily co-existing future.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Khizan posted:

Hopefully he was cremated.

They can still test to see if wife’s kids and mistress’ kids are half siblings.

Weeb friends sound awful, even apart from the 16 year old (which, yikes). I too would be cringing. Everyone can like what they like and do what they like, obviously, but everything has a time and place and a public park ain’t it, kids.

That said, I think it’s interesting that dude is totally ok with his gf’s hobbies, but reeeaaaallly wants to beat up dudes with the same hobbies (albeit more obnoxiously). This whole thing stinks of toxic masculinity imo, with women allowed to be childish while men must be MEN.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Zurtilik posted:

Disapproval of bf’s gaming/figurine hobby is making us both feel angry and sad

Well if this thread is anything to go by the OP is probably going to snap one day and trash the boyfriends entire collection of games and figs and then wonder why he hates her for doing him an "obvious favor" or some poo poo like that.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

8one6 posted:

Well if this thread is anything to go by the OP is probably going to snap one day and trash the boyfriends entire collection of games and figs and then wonder why he hates her for doing him an "obvious favor" or some poo poo like that.

She says one of her concerns is money so she won't trash them. She'll sell them.

The real speculation is - will she sell them for market price or garage sale price?

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

8one6 posted:

please do not go by this thread

welcome to hell
Jun 9, 2006

Dazerbeams posted:

My (29f) parents ghosted me 5 years ago after my wedding and now reached out. What do I do?
UPDATE; I (29f) spoke to my parents, who ghosted me 5 years ago after my wedding and have now reached out.

quote:

TLDR; They're racists.

I asked to talk yesterday. We were on zoom within an hour. It was my parents and me and my husband. They asked to see the kids, and I said they could see them eventually, dependant on them earning our trust and convincing us they were going to be positive additions to the kids' lives.

They asked to start by reading me a letter that they claimed to have written on my wedding day. It said that they were uncomfortable with me marrying my former boss as they thought he took advantage of me, so they left between the wedding and reception to avoid a scene, but they wanted me to know they were here for me despite their issues with him. They added that they would have sent this to me the morning after my wedding, but then I sent my email about them needing to respect my choices, and they were so ashamed they couldn't bring themselves to send theirs. Seeing my anniversary post made them realise how much they've missed in 5 years and they really don't want to miss any more.

I had some questions, like what the big deal was with me marrying my former boss, and they said that it just wasn't what they had in mind for my wedding day and my future spouse. I asked why they even came to the wedding at all if they didn't support the marriage, and my dad responded that he wanted to walk his daughter down the aisle as it was the only chance he'd get. The way it was phrased implied that they had intentionally only come to the wedding so he could give me away, and always planned to leave halfway, and because he said "my daughter", and didn't talk to me directly, it was pretty clear he was thinking about my older sister, who passed away. My husband caught that, too, and said that if they were talking about me, they should address me directly, then added that if they had planned to leave they should have told us as we wouldn't have invited them, and the fact they waited 5 years to reach out was going to take more reasons than shame as, as a father, he didn't understand how they could ignore their daughter for years, or only get back in touch when we had kids.

My dad snapped that he wasn't going to take this from a "cushi", a slur meaning dark skinned. My mother immediately tried to run damage control but I ended the call. They have since messaged me several times trying to explain that calling my husband a racial slur wasn't indicative of a racist attitude, and he wouldn't have said that in front of the kids, so they should still get to meet them.

I've spent 5 years wondering how they were so offended by me marrying my boss that it earned no contact for half a decade. Turns out they're just racist. It's almost nice to find out. If it was just the boss thing I would have sympathy for them and we might even be able to reconcile, but with this, it's now just a question of if I'm going to knowingly expose my mixed race children to a couple of racists, which I am obviously not going to do.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Edit: beaten like the subject of a story that isn't allowed to be posted here.

The word Cushi or Kushi is generally used in the Hebrew Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent

never heard that one. :shrug:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Akratic Method posted:

I dated a girl with a PhD for a while, and in addition to just being easier for people to appreciate your whole publication history if you don't change names partway through it, when you do change names it also apparently dredges up a lot of latent sexism where people will realize you're married and be more reluctant to help you develop your career because naturally as a married woman you'll be prioritizing the babies you're going to have soon, won't be able to leave them behind to go traipsing through the jungle in Borneo or wherever, etc. She made very clear from the outset that if we ever got married she'd be keeping her name as-is.

Also Team PhD Wife and I had no problem with her keeping her maiden name for professional purposes. I do have a credit in her foreword for all the Mexican food I made her during her last year though :shobon:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

spouse posted:

Edit: beaten like the subject of a story that isn't allowed to be posted here.

The word Cushi or Kushi is generally used in the Hebrew Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent

never heard that one. :shrug:

That's a new one to me as well. Would it be something that an orthodox or fundamentalist religion follower use?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

8one6 posted:

That's a new one to me as well. Would it be something that an orthodox or fundamentalist religion follower use?

That poster's probably an Israeli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I wouldn't be suuuper shocked if the 16 year old girl was a relative of one of the nerdmen, and OP didn't bring it up because he was trying to keep the impression they were grooming her. That said, I also wouldn't be suuuuper shocked if the 16 year old girl wasn't a relative and was just a high schooler who met the group through local anime conventions, in which case uuuh there need to be a lot better boundaries going on.