Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Once you're teams are advanced enough, the cryo flower takes less time than the wooden shield mitachurls. They literally go into a defenseless stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Put me firmly in the likes-pressing-buttons-in-specific-sequences-repeatedly camp. I don't even need a reward.

But, I mean, I do like action games for the action, yes.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Endorph posted:

maybe im the weirdo here cause ive seen multiple people express this opinion and frankly i liek the arknigths version more because i can just hit 'autoplay' and then dick around on twitter for 90 seconds or whatever rather than having to do the exact same skill order/autoattack combo myself every time i want to spend 40 resin to get the pyro flower drops. like neither is actually engaging, difficult, or varied, its just one isnt pretending to be gameplay.

i think both should have a skip level button, tho

In a situation like that I'd prefer to just commit to dicking around on twitter and not try to multitask and distract myself hitting a replay button on the phone every 90 seconds.

personally a game doesn't have to be difficult to be engaging to me, like one-cycling a whopperflower by dropping a bunch of bursts on its head is fun even if it is just "mash Q and don't think too hard'"

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

the chinese backlash against certain video game elements reminds me about all the times congress debated the evils of video games more than anything else. i guess pearl-clutching elders are in every society

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

mobile games that let you autoplay the stage after beating it, but not skip it, are definitely my least favorite kind of games because it feels like i also dont have many ways to optimize the time i spend on "chores." genshin makes it so easy to optimize clear times that doing all the daily stuff is probably a 10 minute affair at this point unless i really want to get some friendship points on a unit without investing anything else into them.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
Why can't I trigger "The Narukami Trail" quest to appear? I already completed all the other quests in the Neko series, up to and including finishing the statute. Neko isn't giving me any of the repeatable daily commissions either.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Boat Stuck posted:

Neko isn't giving me any of the repeatable daily commissions either.

Well there's your problem.
The quest requires a certain number of daily commissions. If the RNG isn't giving them to you, there's nothing you can do but wait.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Having phone game daily chores to add some sense of progress to your day sounds incredibly depressing, especially if being able to engage less is considered an improvement.

super sweet best pal posted:

Seconding the "event good, :words: bad" opinions. This is a lot more fun than Spiral and has been a very good source of mora but the cutscenes are needlessly long considering nothing of actual import was said.

The game badly needs a skip cutscene option

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 22, 2021

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

In a situation like that I'd prefer to just commit to dicking around on twitter and not try to multitask and distract myself hitting a replay button on the phone every 90 seconds.

personally a game doesn't have to be difficult to be engaging to me, like one-cycling a whopperflower by dropping a bunch of bursts on its head is fun even if it is just "mash Q and don't think too hard'"

When it gets down to one-cycling a boss and the difficulty goes away my new goal is always “but can I do it faster?”

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

Having phone game daily chores to add some sense of progress to your day sounds incredibly depressing, especially if being able to engage less is considered an improvement.
psychoanalyzing people based on 'i think genshin impact could use a skip artifact domain youve already cleared button' is even more depressing, champ

Kale
May 14, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

The game badly needs a skip cutscene option

As far as I've been able to tell the characters in Honkai are even more chatty as the game goes on an Genshin seems to slowly be working its way up there with Inazuma.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kale posted:

As far as I've been able to tell the characters in Honkai are even more chatty as the game goes on an Genshin seems to slowly be working its way up there with Inazuma.

I haven't played honkai in a while but I think it has a skip.

The inazuma intro took forever when I just wanted to start looking for new stuff.

Endorph posted:

psychoanalyzing people based on 'i think genshin impact could use a skip artifact domain youve already cleared button' is even more depressing, champ

I don't really care what the motive is, I don't see the appeal in playing at the point it's daily chores.

If you dislike doing them to the point having the option to skip it is an improvement, and the game isn't hard enough that you need to optimize to be able to clear the content you do like... what's the point?

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 22, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

I don't really care what the motive is, I don't see the appeal in playing at the point it's daily chores.
i do not play games at the point theyre only daily chores. however, games i enjoy playing, such as Genshin Impact, sometimes have daily chores in order to gather materials to strengthen new characters so you can use them in the actually engaging content. i would like if i could do the chores more quickly, with five or six clicks, as opposed to having to actually go through the motions. this way, i could focus more on the good content.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wanting life to be more fun like entertaininment is insanely cringe, bro

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I've only played Honkai for a week so far, but it's full of meaningless technobabble and the writers vomiting up a bunch of proper nouns without an ounce of restraint.

I hope they can resist the urge of trying to make Genshin a part of Honkai world because that would only make Genshin worse.
It's fine to bring over a few characters between the games, because that's just a nice cross-promotion, but they better not make this Honkai nonsense part of Genshins story.
Maybe they'll port a character from Honkai Starrail into Genshin in order to promote it, since they put Fischl into Honkai for a similar reason.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RareAcumen posted:

Wanting life to be more fun like entertaininment is insanely cringe, bro

Did you have a stroke while you were typing that or something?

Endorph posted:

i do not play games at the point theyre only daily chores. however, games i enjoy playing, such as Genshin Impact, sometimes have daily chores in order to gather materials to strengthen new characters so you can use them in the actually engaging content. i would like if i could do the chores more quickly, with five or six clicks, as opposed to having to actually go through the motions. this way, i could focus more on the good content.

I guess, but artifact domains seem to be largely superfluous since whatever random 3 star artifact with somewhat correct stats is good enough.

To be clear I'm inferring you don't like them but are doing them which is what I don't get. Skip button, whatever more options is good even if I'm not inclined to do stuff like say, idle battle in arknights.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 22, 2021

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i dont think they'll ever directly intersect, though some of the lore kinda implies they're in the same universe. having just enough relation that they can call back to the honkai characters like they did with raiden is perfect for me imo.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
We had genshin be a false world as soon as the 2nd event back in Mona/Fischl story

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I think Domain rewards should be an expedition option.

fabiopenz
Jun 22, 2015

Acerbatus posted:

I haven't played honkai in a while but I think it has a skip.

The inazuma intro took forever when I just wanted to start looking for new stuff.

If you dislike doing them to the point having the option to skip it is an improvement, and the game isn't hard enough that you need to optimize to be able to clear the content you do like... what's the point?

I have a multiple 5 stars sitting unleveled because I can't get myself to spend a month leveling characters to maybe compete with my current team, a skip for grinding or artifact rewards for events would go a long way in motivating me to actually roll.

Also do you use condensed resin?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Electro traveler only gives enerrgy to one character at a time while Raiden gives it to all four.

Raiden with 260 ER and level 8 talents can give ~22.5 energy to all 4 party members every 20 seconds, for a total of ~90 energy generated.
Meanwhile Electro traveler can give one character ~12 energy with each 13s cd skill (if they manually pick up all 3 sigils), plus up to 24 more from the burst. So they come out ahead in single-unit battery performance but really far behind in terms of total energy generated (or in terms of damage :v:).
Raiden's energy restoration doesn't scale with people's energy recharge, it's a flat amount. After her burst animation and dashing to an enemy, you have 6s to get 5 energy generating hits in. A hit must land between 1s and 1.2s from the last, if you miss that 200ms window you wont get all 5. At best I would expect 3-4 hits that regenerate energy.

Crowned Raiden is getting somewhere between 0 and 10 party-wide energy per burst, with a 20s cooldown. Raiden's elemental skill passively generates particles at some amount, but that amount is 0 after the initial cast if the enemies are shielded. I would rate Raiden's particle generation as below average and she makes up for that with her burst. The higher everyone's ER is, the further behind Raiden falls compared to traditional particle-generating batteries.

I crowned Raiden's burst for the 75k dmg, the energy gained is :shrug:

gandlethorpe posted:

Electraveler's E also gives +30% ER or more on top of the flat energy, so they are a bit better at batterying a single character.

Here's a gif showing how quickly they can charge a burst:
Yeah as gandlethorpe is demonstrating here, the electro traveler's regeneration amulets scale up with the affected characters energy recharge. That difference can be significant compared to Raiden Shogun who gives a flat amount of energy to everyone. Being able to quickly recharge one specific character's burst is actually a good thing (not that party-wide recharge is bad.) With the sac sword the electro traveler can keep popping those amulets. I'm not saying the electro traveler is amazing overall, but in the role of support battery they outclass Raiden.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The new set will make Kokomi bar none the best taser team driver in the game,

if she's not already, who is? I just killed the ruin graders at the end of the current stage of the event in ~22 seconds with no buffs picked up at all

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I only recently figured out how to kill the 3 geo cube resurrection pillars in one cycle with Beidou, which is unfortunate because the only use I have left for them is final ascension for Zhongli and Noelle, and I guess Albedo if I ever get him.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Raiden's energy restoration scales with her own energy recharge. It's her A4 passive. If you're only getting 10 partywide energy that means you have a raiden with 0 ER on any of her gear.

Her attack speed with the Musou katana is really fast, you shouldn't have any issue getting hits in that 200ms window. Especially considering that a.) hitstop pauses buff timers so your 7 second burst window is really more like 8-9 seconds as long as you're hitting enemies and not whiffing at the air, and b) if the burst runs out partway through an attack animation, you still get to finish the attack, so really you only need to land 4 hits in ~6.99 seconds and start the 5th hit before the timer is up
The only time you'll really miss out on max energy restoration from Raiden burst is when you're killing everything in range "too fast" and running out of targets to hit, in which case you don't really need the energy anyways since everything is dead and you're getting the on-kill energy drops.

e: I'll concede though that I didn't realize Electro Traveler's skill scaled with the receiver's ER, that's pretty strong.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 22, 2021

Kale
May 14, 2010

Zwiebel posted:

I've only played Honkai for a week so far, but it's full of meaningless technobabble and the writers vomiting up a bunch of proper nouns without an ounce of restraint.

I hope they can resist the urge of trying to make Genshin a part of Honkai world because that would only make Genshin worse.
It's fine to bring over a few characters between the games, because that's just a nice cross-promotion, but they better not make this Honkai nonsense part of Genshins story.
Maybe they'll port a character from Honkai Starrail into Genshin in order to promote it, since they put Fischl into Honkai for a similar reason.

Yeah I find some of visual novel type stuff which Honkai kind of is to a degree can really load you up with technobabble and cyclical dialogue. Thats when i usually get pretty liberal with skipping dialogue. Final Fantasy can also be like that at times too. Games like those practically require a glossary menu.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fabiopenz posted:

I have a multiple 5 stars sitting unleveled because I can't get myself to spend a month leveling characters to maybe compete with my current team, a skip for grinding or artifact rewards for events would go a long way in motivating me to actually roll.

Also do you use condensed resin?

It might be different if you're lucky or whale and have 25 characters you want to level; I've only done about 20 rolls with tokens or gems I've been given and haven't rolled otherwise. Having a dozen or so characters so far I haven't needed to stop and grind for XP or the like, and the mostly 3* artifacts I have were enough to get me through most of the spiral abyss. It just doesn't seem necessary if you don't like it.

I have never used a condensed resin though, no.

Long term I might be proven totally wrong, particularly for XP and if that's the case I'll own up to it.

I guess the thread got kinda lost since the original point was about if having autobattle would be an improvement, and me not seeing how having it or not would make a difference since if you don't like it as-is I haven't seen anything to suggest that just skipping out on grinding will lock you out of doing other stuff.

Kale posted:

Yeah I find some of visual novel type stuff which Honkai kind of is to a degree can really load you up with technobabble and cyclical dialogue. Thats when i usually get pretty liberal with skipping dialogue. Final Fantasy can also be like that at times too. Games like those practically require a glossary menu.

Tyranny having hotlinks for important terms is one of the best features in any game, ever.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 23, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Even just rolling one new character is pretty exhausting unless you've been preparing for them in advance.
I came back to the game around the end of Ayaka's banner and threw some random fates on it without really planning/preparing, and after I got her I still couldn't really use her for weeks as I had to go through farming all the mats and getting a blizzard strayer set (and praying for mainstat rng) to make her even half as strong as my existing high-level geared-up teams.

Some people seem to get really into a specific character and farm up all the ascension/talent mats and artifacts for them in advance based on future banner leaks which probably makes the process a lot smoother -- but if you're only going to have a 50/50 on that banner it's kind of a huge risk/waste to start preparing in advance.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was under the impression that A) spiral abyss was the endgame and B) amber was one of the worst characters in the game, so getting through it without worrying too much about specific stats was an indicator that say, getting the blizzard strayer set might give bigger numbers which can be fun but is ultimately unnecessary.

Is it like honkai and the new characters are basically dysfunctional without the right sets?

For talent/ascension mats, yeah I admit I can see that being a pain when you've run the chests and sigil shops and so on sitting in the world dry and have to make a specific point of going out to get more.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

It might be different if you're lucky or whale and have 25 characters you want to level; I've only done about 20 rolls with tokens or gems I've been given and haven't rolled otherwise. Having a dozen or so characters so far I haven't needed to stop and grind for XP or the like, and the mostly 3* artifacts I have were enough to get me through most of the spiral abyss. It just doesn't seem necessary if you don't like it.

You definitely cannot get through spiral abyss's higher floors with mostly 3* artifacts, at least not 3 starring them, and it takes a solid week or so of grinding out all your resin to get characters up to level 80.

Acerbatus posted:

I was under the impression that A) spiral abyss was the endgame and B) amber was one of the worst characters in the game, so getting through it without worrying too much about specific stats was an indicator that say, getting the blizzard strayer set might give bigger numbers which can be fun but is ultimately unnecessary.

How far did you get into abyss?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finished it, with some 2 and mostly 1 star. I doubt I could get 3*s or improve any of the 2*s, but as far as i can tell the only thing I'm missing out on is some primogems and some random trinkets.

Which would be nice, but definitely does not seem worth grinding 10 domains a day or whatever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean, there's nothing else to really do with your time is the thing. Once you've cleared the story and the current event there's only really exploration and grinding up to make 3 starring the abyss every reset easier.

And just to be clear, you cleared floors 9-12 too, right?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It's not just about "can I clear content at all at all". If you already have a built team, going from a level killing a level 90 overworld enemy in 2 seconds with Ning to slowly whittling it to death over 10-20 seconds with Ayaka felt like poo. (Even though permafreeze means she can basically do it effortlessly and with no risk). As a result I didn't really play with her for a long time until she finally got close to my Ning's power level.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't get why character raising gets presented as such a wall. maybe just for new players once they've finally hit the plateau in difficulty and are spreading out in their roster?

like BP is skewing my perspective here but even plugging a fresh character into a planner gives you a total of 5 days to get to lv80 with all talents at 6. aside from world boss farming being annoying i don't feel like that's a horrible wait, maybe also because i don't believe many people are having to farm the full amount due to having mora/exp/book leftovers + some influx from events and other regular sources. stockpiled condensed or fragiles will also cut this down, i know several people have posted about holding fragiles specifically to do boss farming for new characters. if you're truly desperate to use someone then treating artifacts as stats rather than sets is usually fine.

artifact system still sucks overall so i do dislike that sets are basically where you get the fullest potential of a character and they take RNG-dependent amounts of time to assemble well.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

depends how many characters you want to develop i guess. i have all the characters i use frequently pretty much built completely beyond rerolling artifacts for an extra crit roll or two so all the extra crap we get from events and world chests is just lying around waiting for a new character.

at some point anyone playing since launch will probably only have artifact farming left to do, unless you have godly luck or are spending enough to ensure you can get every single character but also specifically don't want to pay for the bp.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Also not seeing the wall for new characters. You;ll have to spend a few days on them to get them to support level, and then a few more to get them to be a carry. Maybe if you don't have the right artifact sets or a decent weapon for them leveled?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
A carry you want to take all the way is about two weeks. A support you take to a reasonable spot is a week. A 4* weapon is another couple of days. This would vary with domain and ley line luck, but the planner estimates feel about right. Artifacts are the big killer, as always. Gearing your support that needs mainstat plus one substat to do 90% of their job is considerably faster than gearing someone where you need to maximize their damage.

It'd require more complex math (and record keeping) than I'm up for to track how much time was spent on my Xiao. I managed to get two full EM VV sets, a crapton of MB, and half of Jean's set in the 12+ weeks in total I did VV, so it's not like I only geared him up. My condolences for future Hu Tao owners who haven't been blessed with the joy of the CW domain.

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012
The dirty secret is that gladiator is fine for the vast majority of characters and content, and everyone obsessively optimizing for artifacts should have just gotten the easier upgrades to talent levels.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The inazuma story is a total mess, but [spoiler]ei wanting to talk after we beat her rear end is a bit galling. lady do you know how many people we killed to get to this point and now you want to place nice and then we just... forgive her? And not I dunno throw her in jail? Or dump her body in the river, which as far as I can tell nobody other than Yae would have a particular reason to object to?

I'd thought she didn't know what was happening outside of her little sword world while she spent the last 500 years in a depressive fugue and thus the entire thing was a tragic failure of communication but uh apparently she was aware of what happened outside and just didn't bother to do anything?/spoiler]

Pope Urbane II posted:

The dirty secret is that gladiator is fine for the vast majority of characters and content, and everyone obsessively optimizing for artifacts should have just gotten the easier upgrades to talent levels.

That's what I used half the time!

Endorph posted:

I mean, there's nothing else to really do with your time is the thing. Once you've cleared the story and the current event there's only really exploration and grinding up to make 3 starring the abyss every reset easier.

And just to be clear, you cleared floors 9-12 too, right?

Just seems like you'd be better served doing something else with your time, if you've run out of stuff to do.

And yes.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 23, 2021

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I think on some level the domains need to be played in order to justify continuing to upgrade your teams. Getting faster clear times is something of a reward, and if that gets taken away then only Abyss is left as that type of goal. It's why I actually like the new event so much, because it's another opportunity to throw my best teams at something. If it was permanent content and more randomized it'd be even better. When Genshin has a more robust endgame, I would certainly be ambivalent about domains becoming skippable.

At some point in the future I can see myself getting bored of the game once I have multiple teams at a comfortable point where any increase in power would take large amounts of grinding, and no future banner characters are interesting to me. That's the point when I'd consider building a new character a "wall", because then I'm sort of building a character just so I have a reason to play the game, instead of for team building. I only started at the release of Inazuma, but I imagine for long time players they have to do achievement hunting or something similar to maintain interest in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Hi, I just started playing this game and I'm enjoying myself so far. But I have kind of a silly question. Generally speaking, I prefer to play games with their original dubbing, which in this case seems like Chinese. However, just installing the Chinese language dub is several gigabytes. Also, so far I've been mostly enjoying the English language dub, the VAs are pretty good for the first few characters. Does anyone use the original dub for this game? Have you noticed any major/important changes between the two?