Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Piles and piles of runefangs I can barely afford to equip lords for. The Reikland experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Empire is cool and good but they don’t get dragons and phoenixes and sisters of Avelorn, which are enough of a pull to keep high elfs looking real cool and sharp.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Empire has better hats, though.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Collapsing Farts posted:

Obviously a lot of people like AoS since it's outselling the old warhammer stuff massively

The minis certainly are. How are the books doing? How's the Soulstorm RPG doing? How are the video games doing? (Are there any beyond Storm Ground and its 64% on Metacritic?)

And I'm not surprised the minis are. If you've bought 30 minis in Age of Sigmar you have an army. If you have in Warhammer Fantasy you have ... a single unit that moves as one. People prefer the Age of Sigmar game - but is anyone defending the world as anything more than passable?

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Hiy-gh' Äelpheves(TM) have 2 FLC lords though both of which are great and hideously powerful, and the Empire has *checks notes* none. Check mate Sugmar lovers.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sigmar?

Sigmar balls

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Kaza42 posted:

Warhammer Fantasy Battles was never a great game, hell it was rarely a good game. But it's very unique. It's the only rank-and-file fantasy wargame set at the army level*. There are a dozen skirmish level games, and a few army scale games that use larger bases, but none that captured the specific overlap of scale and maneuver like WFB did. Even if you don't think that the setting was all that interesting, the game attached was something you couldn't get anywhere else.

Part of the tragedy of AoS is that it replaced a unique game with yet another loose-base platoon scale game. There are plenty of those, and most have better rules than GW could ever come up with. Especially at release, AoS actually had really bad rules. But even though I have been assured that the game itself functions better, it still functions better as a loose-base platoon scale game, and I am not interested in another one of those. If AoS were a rank-and-file army scale game, I'd at least want to try it out

* Kings of War is sometimes listed as a WFB replacement. It is not. It is my opinion that KoW is a very bad wargame, but either way it's not RaF

The problem with this is that there are good reasons why no one else made rank and file fantasy wargames at the army level. I'm glad it existed because as you say the game attached was something you couldn't get anywhere else. But it was the setting carrying the game because the game itself is setting off too hard on the wrong foot for a tabletop wargame.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Sigmar grindset

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

jokes posted:

Sigmar?

Sigmar balls

BY THE HAMMER AND THE EMPIRE, I ABJURE THEE

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

jokes posted:

Sigmar?

Sigmar balls

[ In the distance to the far north ]

"lmao gottem"

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I very much disagree with the advice to put walls everywhere. You should be liberal with their use in minor settlements, but as your empire expands you should absolutely demolish the walls in your heartlands in favour of economy buildings. Obviously not building the wall and having +x gold/growth/PO sooner is better.

I would definitely wall the heck out of your border regions though, unless you’ve got a NAP with whoever’s bordering you.

also for unit advice:
- melee bad
- ranged good
- monsters good
- magic great

Your ranged weapons will do by far the most damage to the enemy, so I’d advice a 1:2 relationship of melee to ranged units in your army (including lords/artillery). Single entity units are way way way better at tanking, so use heroes and monsters liberally to hold the line while you shoot your enemies to death.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Can somebody please, honestly, show me where the Warhammer Fantasy thread is? That's the AoS thread, then there's some Warhammer Role playing thread (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3864770), but for the life of me I can't find the Warhammer Fantasy or Warhammer Old World thread. Am I blind, dumb, or simply unable to comprehend what name goons gave the Warhammer Fantasy thread?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Torrannor posted:

Can somebody please, honestly, show me where the Warhammer Fantasy thread is? That's the AoS thread, then there's some Warhammer Role playing thread (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3864770), but for the life of me I can't find the Warhammer Fantasy or Warhammer Old World thread. Am I blind, dumb, or simply unable to comprehend what name goons gave the Warhammer Fantasy thread?

It does not exist right now. Old World Info is currently showing up in the AoS thread and Fantasy 4e Thread. But the game has no solid info so it does not really need it's own thread yet.

This thread is a fine one for talking about Old World, and Fantasy however.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
I mean, most minor settlements have three slots, so economy building plus wall plus port/resource building/landmark. At that point what would you recommend swapping the walls for? Growth becomes irrelevant once a province is fully upgraded and PO is unnecessary to have everywhere (maybe one building in the capital). I suppose it could be more race-dependent (lizardmen building stsr chamberz everywhere or whatever).

The corollary to this is that you should try to coordinate all/most of your recruitment buildings in one province (ideally a four settlement one) for the first 75 turns or so. That means you don't have to build the armory/military tech buildings, those that unlock certain recruitment, more than once early on. That's good since they are usually pretty expensive.

When your empire gets pretty big you can start a second recruitment province on the "other side" of it to decrease travel time.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I always put walls, economy building, trade resource, and the basic military building that caps at T3 in minor settlements. Once your empire is big enough you can claim a heartland where you feel like demolishing walls, you’ve already won that game and you might wanna just start over because painting maps fuckin sucks

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah I'll make a military province that has no walls. then has all the buildings for recruiting and +ranks if applicable. it also should be noted that by the time you have a strong central homeland and economy. you've essentially won the game

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Huh? Depending on your starting location, "securing the homeland" will be done by the time you have conquered your second province on like turn 10-15. :confused:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Huh? Depending on your starting location, "securing the homeland" will be done by the time you have conquered your second province on like turn 10-15. :confused:

Two provinces isn't exactly strong. I only play short campaigns so secure your homeland and be unassailable is usually enough to win it and move on.

jokes posted:

Empire is cool and good but they don’t get dragons and phoenixes and sisters of Avelorn, which are enough of a pull to keep high elfs looking real cool and sharp.

They make a million times more noise that's all that matters.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lt. Lizard posted:

When you have a full province that isn’t bordering an enemy faction, you’ve basically won the game. The AI is terrible at pushing the advantage, so you’ll get a few turns to build up a full stack to crush them or reinforce a garrison which is the same as a brick wall to the AI.

Chaos is kind of the only faction that will aggressively and unrelentingly push further and further into the player’s territory. Otherwise a faction will just look at you for 10 turns then sack a province then go back to looking at you.

I’ve probably played TWWH1 and TWWH2 for about 1500 hours combined and the amount of times Altdorf has been attacked by anyone other than beastmen or an errant Chaos stack that snuck by for some reason is zero. One time I got attacked by a single Lord, but that doesn’t count.

Imagine besieging an entire city completely by yourself. Incredible. In TWWH1 before the regeneration nerf, Lords could easily do this. It takes an hour but Sigvald could do it.

jokes fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 22, 2021

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
There's one even more advanced stage, where you realize you have basically won the game before you even start it, so you stop playing Warhammer forever. :v:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Lt. Lizard posted:

sorry securing the homeland means peace with your immediate neighbors. preferably through trade and at least NAP. as well as having a stable economy with positive income

this can be accomplished early depending on the start. with Morathi, I tossed huge amounts of gold to Mazda for a Military Alliance from the very beginning. so when i started my invasion of Ulthuan there was no real point in walls at Quintex. I went full economy buildings and left it as a training center for new Black Arks

you gain vision from your allies so you can generally tell when someone is coming for you and to build a backup army. it's also ok to lose a minor in the grand scheme of things

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Serephina posted:

Cheers for this, I'm amazed at how a few small changes made me giddy. Knightly vows, free peasant mobs, and away we gooo~

Hell yeah brother. As for your cavalary question I never use more than two units for an enemy unit unless there's a special circumstance(fliers, single entities, I want a stupid traffic jam, monstrous large infantry fighting in the same space as my normal infantry, etc.) So one unit for their front, one for their back. Once I get some vows rolling having a 19 stack of Questing Knights is totally valid. One per enemy frontline unit to crash into their front, extra flanks them one a piece unless they're running down ranged/artillery which get one of each. If you have the favorable match up and a green marker then they'll win unless the enemy reinforces them somehow.

I prefer to meet the needs of holding their front and attacking their exposed backline over having mass flankers. You really only need 1-2 flankers. Have your front hold theirs, start at one or both ends of the line, pincer and break them and work towards the center after the break/crumble.

To others if you are having trouble learning as Karl then try Gelt instead. AI Karl is a monster and will hold his own until you get the confed offer, Gelt's province is easier to lock up at the start and has a fort choke point and you're closer to Sylvania to punch the Carnsteins in the teeth.

Also rules, is cool, Welcome to Estalia Gentlemen, starting caster so you have a magic edge.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

jokes posted:

Imagine besieging an entire city completely by yourself. Incredible. In TWWH1 before the regeneration nerf, Lords could easily do this. It takes an hour but Sigvald could do it.

At the end of my Taurox campaign I did just that a bunch with him. He had the fully maxed sword of khaine, but I just thought it was funny to beat up on the high elves with a single invincible minotaur (and got some sort of hidden achievements for doing it).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Iron Rose posted:

I very much disagree with the advice to put walls everywhere. You should be liberal with their use in minor settlements, but as your empire expands you should absolutely demolish the walls in your heartlands in favour of economy buildings. Obviously not building the wall and having +x gold/growth/PO sooner is better.
This is terrible advice to give to newbies, walls go on everything without question. The AI will walk armies past your front line settlements to go take/sack/raze the backline and its a pain in the rear end.

edit: or walk past your friend that you have a NAP with

edit2: or declare war on your despite the NAP

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 23, 2021

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

jokes posted:

Chaos is kind of the only faction that will aggressively and unrelentingly push further and further into the player’s territory. Otherwise a faction will just look at you for 10 turns then sack a province then go back to looking at you.

The skaven factions (especially Moulder in my experience) also get really aggressive if they get a chance to get going. I've had plenty of campaigns where Moulder had all of Kislev and like a third of the Empire with Skryre in control of Bretonnia within the first 50-60 turns.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
Yeah it is important to remember that garrisons factor into your power rating (or so I've been told) which can modify how other factions calculate whether to declare war or not.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

If I am destroying walls in a province it's because that province has at least two turns of movement buffer from a potential enemy. So yeah, a homeland secure enough to demolish walls on is generally a homeland that has at least a full province on every side as a buffer, if not more, which means at least 5, maybe more, provinces, and at that point you are probably in a very secure state regionally at the least.

Walls go on everything until very late in the game.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 23, 2021

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Piles and piles of runefangs I can barely afford to equip lords for. The Reikland experience.

Where's my Ludwig Schearzhelm legendary hero CA? We need a depository for all these spare runefangs.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

I will never not put walls on anything because in my experience that's inviting a Rogue Army or Beastmen to spawn far from everything and burn it down, and with it taking an age to get the pop points back I'd rather just not take the risk.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Vagabong posted:

Where's my Ludwig Schearzhelm legendary hero CA? We need a depository for all these spare runefangs.

some people might say I should recruit less expensive armies. to them I say that nothing short of ten steam tanks for mr gelt will do.

Walls are a tricky one. I’d put them on main settlements but I think you can take them off minors once your main settlement gets to t5 since you’ll start banking population at that point.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think the advice "walls for all minor settlements" is super valid as both 1) the AI overestimates walls and gives you respect and 2) by the time you know where you can get away with no walls, you no longer need that advice.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Vagabong posted:

Get Mixu's Legendary Lords, it adds in unique characters for all of the Empire factions

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think a sort of province-wide garrison might be more interesting than having to build walls in every settlement, both in that it means you can potentially fight a proper battle to deter an army and also as an attacker you don't have to demolish a million loving garrisons and walls.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Ravenfood posted:

If I am destroying walls in a province it's because that province has at least two turns of movement buffer from a potential enemy. So yeah, a homeland secure enough to demolish walls on is generally a homeland that has at least a full province on every side as a buffer, if not more, which means at least 5, maybe more, provinces, and at that point you are probably in a very secure state regionally at the least.

Walls go on everything until very late in the game.

if you have two secure provinces you have probably won the game.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Note that due to their interleaving economy building system, brettonian settlements get walls automatically at tier 3 without the need to construct an additional building. Their option in that category just adds to the garrison instead. Between that and not having a supply line penalty that increases geometrically per additional stack, it makes them one of the most pleasant campaign map experiences in the game.

There is at least one mod that gives the t3 free wall functionality to dwarfs.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vagabong posted:

Replace Franz’s character model with a two-man model that counts as one.

Like Skarsnik with that squig!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Our very own Gejnor's Dawi mod "Khazukan Kazakit Ha!" (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1186300060) does that and a few other very tasteful and nice changes like being able to craft multiple iterations of the new character runes in a nice-but-not-OP way.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Note that due to their interleaving economy building system, brettonian settlements get walls automatically at tier 3 without the need to construct an additional building. Their option in that category just adds to the garrison instead. Between that and not having a supply line penalty that increases geometrically per additional stack, it makes them one of the most pleasant campaign map experiences in the game.

I never got why anyone would ever make an effort to get the higher teir +econ buildings for Brets. Like sure, posion/fire bowmen, but the other bonuses the secondary building provides are negligible. I just build the teir1 stuff (usually both) and go spend the money elsewhere. Slots have a very real cost, etc.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

jokes posted:

Replace Franz’s character model with a two-man model that counts as one.

Like Skarsnik with that squig!

Attach a motorcycle side car to Deathclaw with Ludwig sitting in there with some goggles waving his sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Digital photo editing is my passion