Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

The actor who played Thufir has been in a bunch of stuff but I recognized him as a regular judge on the Law and Orders.

Looking up IMDb credits, Stephen McKinley Henderson has been in a lot of stuff, he's one of those, "Oh, it's that guy."

Babs Olusanmokun (Jamis) is playing Dr. M'Benga in Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. That's something to look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Random continuity observation

In almost every shot of the gom jabbar scene, Mohaim’s fingers are in a different pose. It got so ridiculous that I started laughing

Also Mohaim is wearing a hat indoors but then she’s outside and she’s not wearing a hat but then her underlings are wearing hats. Does Mohaim make her underlings her hat carriers or did Charlotte Rampling at some point decide I’m not wearing this loving heavy thing anymore

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Not my friend, I don't even know the guy's name, lol.

Unrelated, I love love loved this movie. Nearly perfect, very hyped for part 2. One small quibble is that I'm a little disappointed they didn't work the "slow blade pierces the shield" thing better into Duncan's fight scenes. For the moments they explain it, it happens, sure, but then in an actual fight they just kinda stab at normal speed. It would have been fun to really see them fully choregraph a fighting style where the killing blow has to be slow.

Although it's also possible they knew that and made the decision to just handwave it because it would have bogged down the fight scenes, which I guess I understand if so.

Our pet theory is he'll be disfigured and covered in boils in part 2 due to side effects of the poison. But he looked pretty normal in the healing bath so maybe not. Ah well.

it happens long in the past. the Bene Gesserit need his genes as part of their program and the Baron refuses to cooperate at first because he likes boys and doesn't want to impregnate Mohiam. she presses the point and he gets angry and rapes her violently. as that is happening she releases a disease in him as revenge. Jessica was the result of that "union"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Spergin Morlock posted:

it happens long in the past. the Bene Gesserit need his genes as part of their program and the Baron refuses to cooperate at first because he likes boys and doesn't want to impregnate Mohiam. she presses the point and he gets angry and rapes her violently. as that is happening she releases a disease in him as revenge. Jessica was the result of that "union"

I'm just talking about the fact that he's not covered in boils and such in the movie. He doesn't seem diseased at all, just lazy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Spergin Morlock posted:

he was deliberately infected with a disfiguring disease by RM Helen Gaius Mohiam. it's explained in one of the prequel books. the Baron was fit before that happened

Don't.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Googled it and now I regret doing so.

Do not look into that place where I dared look.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If you look into that place, you'll find kevin j anderson looking back at you. For he is the kwisatz haderhack

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Don't.... read the prequel books? lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Spergin Morlock posted:

Don't.... read the prequel books? lol

Don't cite them because they're really loving bad.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

Don't cite them because they're really loving bad.

i didn't think they were bad per se. they just really weren't good like the first 4 frank herbert ones

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

No they're really loving bad. The thing you cited was insanely dumb but doesn't come close to how dumb they get.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

No they're really loving bad. The thing you cited was insanely dumb but doesn't come close to how dumb they get.

just wait. each of those books is going to be a season in the inevitable HBO series

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah and just because that's what the books did, prequels or not, doesn't mean that's what happens in the movie. They chose not to make him severely diseased so obviously that's not canon to the movie.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rewatching and the heighliners are clearly ships and not tunnels.

Also the cool guys in the orange helmets aren't navigators since Thufir says three navigators and there are five of them.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 22, 2021

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I don’t think anyone’s calling them tunnels in the sense of like dwarves mined them to connect Manhattan and Jersey. They mean if it’s a “tunnel” through space a la Stargate. So you’d need evidence of it moves or just chills in orbit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Xiahou Dun posted:

I don’t think anyone’s calling them tunnels in the sense of like dwarves mined them to connect Manhattan and Jersey. They mean if it’s a “tunnel” through space a la Stargate. So you’d need evidence of it moves or just chills in orbit.

https://i.imgur.com/okZ4hUT.mp4

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 22, 2021

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It’s a Stargate tunnel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMZW65wUG7c

There’s a planet visible through the portal that isn’t visible in the same direction outside of the portal

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol what is that from

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Dune

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It’s during the part when you went to the bathroom

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It has been two decades since I've seen it to be fair.

edit: lol that's after the scene I showed where it's already shown to be a ship.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 23, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Groovelord Neato posted:

I never got the sense they were depicting Heighliners as tunnels. They're almost always depicted as massive tube ships.

the interstellar is a series of tubes

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Great film. I love films. I love Dune the book. The absolute only thing that didn’t mesh with the pictures and sounds that were already in my head were the bagpipes. Come on now.

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

It has been two decades since I've seen it to be fair.

edit: lol that's after the scene I showed where it's already shown to be a ship.

the ship clearly moves, but there does also appear to be some weird portal thing happening inside it too. one of the shots clearly shows a planet at a weird angle through the ship

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

One small quibble is that I'm a little disappointed they didn't work the "slow blade pierces the shield" thing better into Duncan's fight scenes. For the moments they explain it, it happens, sure, but then in an actual fight they just kinda stab at normal speed. It would have been fun to really see them fully choregraph a fighting style where the killing blow has to be slow.

I disagree, friend. I thought they did pretty well paying it off. Maybe not as much in the sword scenes, but the bombs that were dropped on shielded ships and whatnot all visibly checked their momentum, and slowly went through. Plus the way Duncan swiped the hunter-seeker that tried to penetrate the shield.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

GORDON posted:

I disagree, friend. I thought they did pretty well paying it off. Maybe not as much in the sword scenes, but the bombs that were dropped on shielded ships and whatnot all visibly checked their momentum, and slowly went through. Plus the way Duncan swiped the hunter-seeker that tried to penetrate the shield.

The bombs were so loving cool.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
People say that Dune isn't about a hero doing hero poo poo, it's about the dangers of a charismatic leader followed as a god.

I think maybe it's an object lesson about not picking fights with peeps all the time, because the enmity you inspire might create an enemy that will wipe you out.

Harkonnens could have just swallowed their pride and chilled on their planet and spent their money. But nope. Had to make a martyr and piss off his son. KH would have never been born without the actions of the Emperor and Baron.

Well, that said, the Baron was just doing what the Emperor commanded. But same thing. Emperor ended his own reign by being a dick.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Steve Yun posted:

Regarding Jamis, I think Paul hesitated for more than one reason

in his visions Paul saw an alternate future where he was friends with Jamis, so killing him meant that friendship and that branch of time would never happen

Yeah, I really enjoyed that the movie showed different branches of the future he was offered.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Slow bombs were cool, drill bullets were cool. But I do agree that the melee battles didn’t seem to differentiate between slow and fast sword slashes except for maybe one or two exceptions

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Villeneueve’s Heighliner setup seems… inefficient

one Heighliner would have to hoof it out to the destination, which would be a nightmare by conventional travel. Then it would have to connect to a second Heighliner so that theyd act as portals to each other. Book heighliners just need one and they go wherever they please

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

That was amazing. Blew me away and was almost perfect. I fully expected to come into this thread to find everybody taking huge dumps on it because goons always hate everything but I'm glad to be wrong and that really speaks to how good it was. loving pumped for part 2.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Steve Yun posted:

one Heighliner would have to hoof it out to the destination, which would be a nightmare by conventional travel. Then it would have to connect to a second Heighliner so that theyd act as portals to each other. Book heighliners just need one and they go wherever they please

If they can fold space, couldn't a single Heighliner be in two places at once? Kinda feels like the point.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I liked the art design in the movie and I think I might be in a minority. But I think it emphasizes how far in the future this is. The palace at Arrakeen may be a far future building, but it's old by American standards. We don't know how old but at least hundreds of years. The sandstone construction makes a lot of sense for an ancient building. The sandstone cores of the pyramids are still around as American buildings are crumbling.

These far future humans with a more minimalist culture and an eye fixed on dynastic legacy would build monolithic stone buildings, not shiny steel and glass that falls apart in 50 years.

I do think the Lynch Castle Caladan was a better set than the one we got, but that set helped bankrupt the production.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

DOGC

Libluini posted:

I don't know if this is a joke post but:

-Things we have IRL: Stuff to burn through an armored door
-Things we don't have IRL: Laser guns

so the answer is probably yes

you are face is a joke bitch

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 23, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7mKJzGKb1c

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

GORDON posted:

If they can fold space, couldn't a single Heighliner be in two places at once? Kinda feels like the point.

Hmmm you might be right

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

CapnAndy posted:

Implied, but both me and that other guy came to the same conclusion independently, so... it's definitely implied.

It was definitely my takeaway.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Steve Yun posted:

Useful if you have a lot of travel between two points frequently.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

poor Yueh, wife captured by the Fourth Stimpire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

D-Pad posted:

That was amazing. Blew me away and was almost perfect. I fully expected to come into this thread to find everybody taking huge dumps on it because goons always hate everything but I'm glad to be wrong and that really speaks to how good it was. loving pumped for part 2.

I am a huge fan of the Lynch Dune, and was rolling my eyes at yet another shakycam everything is CGI worms with spikes scifi movie coming out. Then Europe got to see it first and those dudes kept bombarding the Facebook scifi literature groups saying how amazing it was and we HAVE to see it. So my expectations went from dogshit to I'll go see it, it can't be as bad as the tv series. Saw it in the theater this morning and I was loving floored how good it was. I hope it's just not the initial love affair phase of a crap movie, and I don't think it is. But even the thopter designs worked. When you read the book I was always "man this is so 60s scifi thinking" and it was even too weird for Lynch to try and do. But those things looked great. I loved them. I basically splooged all over this. Finally. A good drat movie.