Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Play posted:

I thought it was Yahweh or YHWH or something weird lik that

It is YHWH. Some even feel Adonai is too holy to use casually, so they use Elohim instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Bruceski posted:

Might be Messianic or some other group that's weird about it.

that's what i was thinking at first - the messianic jewish won't say it, but they also don't call themselves christian, and i'm not really seeing any other groups that do who also have the prohibition

weird poo poo

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Batterypowered7 posted:

It is YHWH. Some even feel Adonai is too holy to use casually, so they use Elohim instead.

feel like god's having a bit of an identity crisis here. Pick one name and stick to it, pal!!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Ba'al never had these problems. :colbert:

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
I looked it up and its "yodh he waw he" as written on the tablets handed to moses

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Play posted:

feel like god's having a bit of an identity crisis here. Pick one name and stick to it, pal!!

YHWH was used when the Israelites had a whole rear end pantheon and he was the big dick boss. Then they decided to narrow things down and make him the capital g God, so he went to city hall and got a name change.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that's what i was thinking at first - the messianic jewish won't say it, but they also don't call themselves christian, and i'm not really seeing any other groups that do who also have the prohibition

weird poo poo

The only group I know that care one rip about using a particular name are the Jehovah's Witnesses, and they both are really insist on actually using it instead of avoiding saying it, and (obviously) use Jehovah instead of Yahweh.

It's got to be some one off Baptist or Bapticostal thing.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Ba'al never had these problems. :colbert:

Depending on who you ask, they both got their asses handed to them by the Romans.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Y'all are having some bad takes on this one. So what if his church or sect or w/e doesn't care, he personally does. He didn't have a screaming tantrum, he explained his issue and asked for the name to be changed. When everyone else disagreed, he backed down. Didn't shun or insult the other guy, just refused to break his own personal religious conviction. NTA, firmly.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Messianic Jews do consider themselves Christian. They're Jews, only they got it right this time!

A cool side note: "Jehovah" exists because written Hebrew has no vowels. It is common for some Hebrew texts to have "vowel points" above the consonants in a word to guide the reader about which "MN" word this is; if it were in English it would be M<sup>e</sup>N, for instance, or <sup>a</sup>M<sup>e</sup>N. You aren't supposed ever to say JHWH, the tetragrammaton. So the vowel points above JWHW are the vowels of "Adonai", the acceptable -- to some Jews -- way to refer to God.

Along come later readers and go aha! It's JaHoWaH!, not realizing that the vowel points are for an entirely different word than YHWH.

e: Imagine that everything surrounded by <sup></sup> is floating in the air. Thanks.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

My (26F) sister (30F) wants me to give her the baby I'm carrying.

quote:

My husband died a month ago Before that we actively tried for a baby for the past two years, he had low count and it was extremely difficult for us since we had to keep trying the old way because we couldn't fund the IVF process it didn't make sense to us to go through that and then being bankrupt when the baby came.

Two weeks after his passing I found out that I was pregnant, it was so bittersweet. I love my husband with all my heart and having his child is a dream came true... but I can't keep this baby alone. I've to leave his the house by the end of the year, move back with my parents and basically start over. I'm not economically, mentally or emotionally stable to have this baby by myself and it's so unfair to bring him/her into a chaotic environment just for my selfish wishes. So I decided to abort.

I felt so alone that I went to see my sister and talk about her. I know that my parents will never allow or forgive an abortion and I thought that I had a safe place in her, I came undone, told her how I was feeling, how I couldn't keep this baby and how much that broke my heart because it was the last piece of my husband.

Instead of supporting me she has this ''bright idea'', I can give birth and let her and her husband adopt it, like mine, her husband has low count and they've tried to get pregnant for over 8 years. I said that I wasn't sure and she told me that if I did it, I could keep seeing him and some part of my husband will remain in this world.

I was about to agree when she saw me doubting and said that if I refused she's gonna tell my parents about it. It was the threat that infuriated me so I left.

I don't have that many friends and I don't know what to do, I don't want to lose my baby that's true, but at the same time I'm not sure I can fund a proper life for them, I feel like everything is falling onto my shoulders and I don't know who to trust.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I think deliberately messing with the religious sensibilities of another player unprovoked is a dick move, even if their specific beliefs seem ridiculous.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ponzicar posted:

I think deliberately messing with the religious sensibilities of another player unprovoked is a dick move, even if their specific beliefs seem ridiculous.

I think when they want to make a scene over a characters name in a Dungeons and Dragons game, then their entire holier then thou arguments can eat poo poo because clearly they just pick those battles whenever its convenient.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I mostly don't care about the story, because well, it's a bit boring (though I suspect that the teller is not nearly as chill about things as they make themselves out to be). I mostly just wonder what branch they are that gives a crap, though it's probably not Messianic Jewish since they are real insistent they are Jewish not Christian.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

I (44F) think my daughter (17F) is dating her friend (17F), should I talk to her about it?

2021-10-08 posted:

I am not sure but I am sure. She and her friend got really close over the last year. They go to the same school but met online. My daughter has been having sleepover with her about twice this month. I have midnight cravings and I was going to the kitchen when I heard giggling and my daughter saying 'babe' I am pretty certain that they are dating and I have noticed other things the other times she has come over.

I don't know what to do here. My husband thinks the best thing is to just let her be but I had to hide my relationship with my husband due to them being racist poo poo heads and it eats into you. Even if you are planning to cut them off. It still made me feel terrible to lie to them.

It is an admittedly low bar but we are better parents than they were so it must be even harder for her. I don't want my daughter to hide who she is, I don't want her to feel the guilt of lying and all the BS that comes with lying to your family but from what I have read, it is better to wait till the ready. I am torn on what to do here. I do need some advice on this,

TLDR : I think my daughter is dating her friend. I know the pain of hiding a relationship so I can relate a bit with her and I want just tell her that we love her no matter what.

2021-10-20 posted:

People told me not to tell her but subtly show support. Well, My husband's idea of subtlety was to invite his gay colleague and his husband home for dinner. we do invite people over before the pandemic so it is not unusual behavior. They are nice people and the dinner went well. My daughter was in a great mood the whole night.

She came out two days after that. We told us over breakfast. She was hesitant. She said she knew we would be supportive but a small part of her was scared that we would kick her out. we assured her that we loved her and we wanted her to be happy. We did tease her mercilessly about having sleepovers under our nose.

TLDR : She came out, She was a bit scared but things are okay
:3:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Play posted:

I thought it was Yahweh or YHWH or something weird lik that

Mostly because I remembered I have a scanner and had never re-set up my printer software after a reinstall so it was a good excuse. From Larry Gonick's Cartoon History of the Universe Part 1

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

pentyne posted:

I think when they want to make a scene over a characters name in a Dungeons and Dragons game, then their entire holier then thou arguments can eat poo poo because clearly they just pick those battles whenever its convenient.

You realize that you're siding with the guy who's response to "that's offensive to my religion" is "lol stop being such a sensitive snowflake", right?

edit: and what the gently caress does playing DnD have to do with it? Its a game, he doesn't have to think its real just because he believes in a god.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 23, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I mostly don't care about the story, because well, it's a bit boring (though I suspect that the teller is not nearly as chill about things as they make themselves out to be). I mostly just wonder what branch they are that gives a crap, though it's probably not Messianic Jewish since they are real insistent they are Jewish not Christian.

The Messianic Jew I knew claimed to be both, FWIW.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ShootaBoy posted:

You realize that you're siding with the guy who's response to "that's offensive to my religion" is "lol stop being such a sensitive snowflake", right?

edit: and what the gently caress does playing DnD have to do with it? Its a game, he doesn't have to think its real just because he believes in a god.

Yeah playing DnD is not an opportunity to mess with someone's actual personal religious beliefs. It might have been okay as a one-off prank to name the character that just to make the OP feel awkward and then say "nah just messing with you". To actually follow through is to deliberately take a shot at their faith for no reason at all.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for complaining to the manager about a rude cashier?

quote:

I am a regular at a bagel shop near my home. I’ve been going there for two years now and I got to know one of the cashiers there, Brandon. Brandon was very nice and warm and would even treat me to free drinks. He made the place very welcoming. However, he recently moved so there is a new cashier, some college girl. She is nowhere near as nice as Brandon. In fact she is quite rude. She never smiles at me and just usually asks me “what would you like?” I think I’ve only heard her say good morning maybe two or three times to me and she usually just rings me up for my coffee. She is very rude, does not even bother saying hello or even smile at me. I am not used to this kind of treatment here I believe that I should get warmer service especially considering that I’ve been coming here for two years. I ran into her manager and told her about the new cashier and told her that she should be giving nicer customer service. The manager didn’t even apologize for the awful customer service she simply said that the cashier was new and that she was still getting used to the place so I should give her some time. AITA for simply telling a manager that her new staff should have better customer service?

Tl;dr: I complained to a manager about her employees rude behavior to me

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Piell posted:

AITA for complaining to the manager about a rude cashier?

You know what, at least good on the manager for not caving to some rear end in a top hat Karen being cranky the service employee isn't kissing their feet for deigning to come into their place of employment.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

therobit posted:

AITA for asking another player in Dungeons & Dragons to change the name of their character because it goes against my religion?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Scaevolus posted:

My (26F) sister (30F) wants me to give her the baby I'm carrying.

Jeeeeesus

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Wrong post

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ShootaBoy posted:

Calling yourself a hardcore Christian then playing a game with magic and demons is very much the "pick and choose" style of what religious rules you want to follow.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

What a colossally poo poo take from the arbitrator of religion.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 23, 2021

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Scaevolus posted:

An update on that "The Kindest" kidney donation story plagiarism drama, where someone actually read through the court documents to reconstruct what happened:

https://summerbrennan.substack.com/p/bad-discourse-friend-the-unraveling
https://summerbrennan.substack.com/p/bad-discourse-friend-the-unraveling-cae

Dawn might be annoying, but Sonya just sucks.

I knew Sonya. Not well, but we traveled in similar circles. I don't see those reframes as making Sonya look bad. She's just a person who had a super annoying and clingy co-worker that she would make fun of. Clingy annoying and clingy co-workers suck rear end and I absolutely poo poo talk annoying people with other people who know them. Especially when they are at their most annoying/clingy and grandiose.

Dawn is loving awful. Sonya is normal.

Edit: Wow, those articles are written by someone as deranged as Dawn. "Dawn really felt she had a friendship to fight for" as a justification for her, frankly, insane actions speaks to how lovely the author is. The fact that in their opener they also try to "set the record straight!" because Sonya is half asian, half white as opposed to "real" asian which speaks to a lot of gross stuff. Gross articles by a gross person.

OnlyBans fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 23, 2021

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

pentyne posted:

Calling yourself a hardcore Christian then playing a game with magic and demons is very much the "pick and choose" style of what religious rules you want to follow.

D&D isn't real magic or real demons, Christians can play D&D and they aren't hypocrites

Source: my christian middle school banned Magic the Gathering cards for being demonic and everyone involved in the decision was just dumb as gently caress

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

pentyne posted:

Everyone's set of beliefs is an arbitrary "pick and choose" of whatever they want.

Alternative scenario: You are playing DnD and a player decides their new character name is "I hate N******". Do you go ahead and use that name because 'it's just DnD' or do you say "haha very funny but now seriously what's the character's real name?'.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

This comic pretty clearly states magic is real and can have positive material benefits, not really making a hard sell on Jesus for me when I can just do it myself.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

She got a fuckin sweet Members Only jacket too

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
AITA for narcing on my roommate for graffiti?

quote:

I live with three other roommates, one of which is just terrible (we’ll call her V). She’s vegan, and she constantly harasses the rest of us for eating “unhealthy.” She leaves coffee beans on the floor that could poison my other roommate’s dog. She has an issue with not asking us before using our stuff. She’s used my hairdryer without permission and my other roommate’s (we’ll call her D) tweezers. She also trauma dumps regularly on our third roommate (we’ll call him L) and he’s walked out of the room they share multiple times because he couldn’t stand her talking anymore. V also threw a fit when we tried to lay down boundaries with her, claiming we wouldn’t have them when we got older, which is actually not true at all.

Overall, V is a total bitch who won’t settle for anything unless it’s her way. I feel like I’m walking on eggshells every time I talk to her.

Me and my roommates all go to the same school, and we’re all in the same major, just in different years. While V is older than all of us, she’s a sophomore.

When graffiti showed up in our major building’s bathroom, I suspected it might be her, but I had never seen it until some of my classmates showed it to me. My jaw dropped. It was her work. I’d seen her sketchbook multiple times and one of the drawings on the wall was the exact same as her tattoo.

Let me be clear here. I do not hate graffiti. When it’s in a public space, I strongly believe it’s doing it’s job, making a statement, and letting artists create. But this was in a brand new building, in a bathroom stall that very few people visit, and the teachers would have to shell out money to clean it up themselves. The professors AND department head gave out warnings, saying that they didn’t want to get anyone suspended or expelled, they just wanted whoever did it to clean it up. They didn’t want to include security or administration. When no one came forward, I anonymously reported V. Her student ID was temporarily disabled and she was lectured for her behavior.

Now she’s going off about how all the professors in our department are narcs, and I can only sit there and say nothing, because I know she would make my life a living hell if I told her I reported her. I can’t help but feel amused that she finally faced the consequences of her actions. But I also feel bad for reporting her. We both believe in using art as a form of protest. But her graffiti wasn’t protest. It was just being selfish and entitled. She’s still going to school. It’s not like she lost her scholarship or anything. She just doesn’t understand that she can’t go through life pissing people off

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 23, 2021

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

pentyne posted:

The gently caress?

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

OnlyBans posted:

Dawn is loving awful. Sonya is normal.
Maybe it's my academic/scientific background where even uncited self-plagiarism is a Big Deal, but the idea of copying someone else's work, rewording it a bit, and labeling it as your own is incredibly lovely. It's a career ending mistake.

That the point of the plagiarism is to make fun of the author makes it even worse.

The interpersonal drama is harder to judge at a remove.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Got linked to the old thread in discord and thought this story was too good to leave buried.

My BF[28m] caused my[24f] parents to file for divorce

quote:

u/bfparentbreakup

So some back story to start. I've been with my boyfriend for 3 years and we've been living together for 1.5. We've had our bumps but for the most part the relationship has been going really well. I've never known him to be vindictive or cruel hearted, he's always been sweet to me.

I guess the drama started when my sister announced her wedding to the family. My parents agreed to pay for it and my mom has been very stressed, planning the wedding with my sister. She wants the pictures to be perfect and is concerned about my BF. He's had a pretty big scar on his face since he was young, and my mom finds it hideous. I don't know why, she's always had a weird obsession with it that I hide from my boyfriend, but he catches her staring.

So last week she texts him "How to tell someone they need cosmetic surgery". He didn't tell me about it before he texted back "How to tell someone they're in a loveless marriage and their husband is cheating when he goes on business trips". I told my BF that this was my mom's biggest fear, she's constantly worried he's cheating on these trips. I remember hearing her crying a few times late at night when I was growing up. I trusted him with this and he used it against her/me. He did this while my dad was out of town.

So she calls me at work crying about what he said to her. I try to calm her down, reassure her that dad isn't cheating. Well afterwards she calls him up and accuses him of cheating, he tells her that he's tired of hearing her accusations while he's trying to provide for her, that he wants a divorce. He told me that he can't handle her anymore, he dreads picking up her calls when he's out of town and that he's not going to return for her. He really is filing for divorce.

Now he won't talk to her or come home and I'm caught in the middle. My sister is also obviously not getting her dream wedding and is very upset about it. My boyfriend defends himself, saying that it was bound to happen eventually and that he's not going to take poo poo from her. I'm pissed that he used something I trusted him with and destroyed my family with it.

I'm so emotionally drained after taking care of my mother this weekend, I don't know how to confront my boyfriend. Sometimes I don't even know if he's that much of an rear end in a top hat for doing this. Is this a red flag, what should I do?

tldr: My Mom sent a nasty text to my BF, he sends back a nastier text that eventually caused my parents to start separating.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Play posted:

My last name also has the word cock in it. Was bullied a few times until I managed to turn it around and impress on my peers that it definitely just meant that I had a big one

I also have cock in my last name. It doesn't really bother me anymore.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

pentyne posted:

The bible is full of that stuff though?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Cythereal posted:

My BF[28m] caused my[24f] parents to file for divorce

The tale of the stone and nuke.

E: boyfriend is correct. That relationship was already doomed and all he did was hasten the inevitable.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 23, 2021

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Woodchip posted:

I (34M) got a new haircut and now my (36F) wife hasn't spoke to me in 24 hours

Mullets are definitely coming back as a style. My sister's husband started growing one to mimic Aaron Rodgers, which means he isn't he only one. Its loving baffling but here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Some magical (?) thinking:

quote:

I've been telling people at work that I'm a Leo (I'm not) in an attempt to create a long-con prank to prove to them that astrology is utter bullshit, but my plan is getting out of hand and I don't think I can follow through on my big reveal

I think astrology is one of the dumbest, most unscientific things you could possibly believe in. Honestly, I would judge someone less for believing that the earth is flat or being a scientologist. At least Scientology has an established lore of writing created by a limited number of people, whereas apparently anyone can write horoscopes for any small-town newspaper and people will still follow their local little blurb's advice.

Anyway, there's a group of co-workers at my job who are way into astrology. They're always talking about signs and compatibility ("it didn't work out because he's a Gemini" etc). Sometimes they talk about people at work and their personality traits based on their signs. When they asked me, I told them a fake birthday without even knowing the sign associated with it. It turns out, that, based on this information, I'm a Leo. They practically fell all over themselves telling me how much sense that made. "You have such a creative spirit!" or "you're so generous!" or (my favorite) "You're so VITAL" (wtf). We're all pretty friendly with each other so I thought it would be kind of funny to do this and then reveal to them later that I'm not a Leo at all to see how they reacted and covered for themselves to justify their ongoing belief in magic star influences.

Well, unfortunately, one of my bosses seems to believe that me being a Leo makes me uniquely suited to work on various projects and I've actually landed on some good opportunities because of it. After a presentation to clients, I was recently told that my Leo spirit was really carrying the team through such a difficult deadline. Now I'm genuinely worried that someone is going to figure out my real birthday (I work for a big company that has my real birthday in the system and there's a chance that some weird auto-generated public email or post somewhere will congratulate the October birthdays or something). I am basically caught up in a lie that's based on nonsense to begin with and I'm really confused about what to do. I will probably never tell anyone at work this information, so I figured I'd tell a bunch of strangers on the Internet in the hopes that I don't get found out and have some kind of weird disciplinary action taken. Imagine my boss firing me for pretending to be a Leo? That's SUCH a Pisces thing to do. KIDDING. (help)

EDIT: I am absolutely loving people saying "That's such a libra thing to do" or "it's just like a libra to get into situations like this." I said I was born in October but didn't specify the date. I'm not a libra either.

EDIT 2: People who are defending astrology by telling me that it's much more complicated than just your birthdate, and then proceeding to explain detailed nonsense about the movement of the celestial bodies--that is not the convincing argument you think it is

EDIT 3: Kidding. I'm a Libra. So all those people saying "That's so scorpio"--you're the ones who are wrong. Or is that what a scorpio would say to throw you off the trail? Who knows? According to google, libras gravitate towards intellectualism, so maybe this is all an elaborate thought experiment. That's so Libra of me. Or is pretending I'm a Libra the Scorpio move?