Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

E: this is my best snipe ever

vortmax fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
using the orb with a patch on the left eye, then again with the patch on the right eye to get twice the orb coins

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

DerekSmartymans posted:

I posted last year about how I had a bit of anxiety about this. People with honest to God real amounts of money can manipulate poo poo. Even the “essential” poo poo. It wouldn’t even have to cost a lot of money: The NSA, Microsoft, and Amazon server farms could decide to grab a 51% mining share with their server farms and change everything, including the balances of every exchange and personal wallet. And the infrastructure is already there and paid for… no capital needed except someone to write the software. And there is nothing anyone could do to stop it. It wouldn’t even be illegal because regulation in the space doesn’t really exist except a wrist slap if Biden’s accountant messed up reporting the taxes. I don’t think RICO works, either: is it against the law if you form a conspiracy to do something, um, legal? Every time the Girl Scouts get together to sell cookies breaks the law I guess.

It scares me because my Papa John left a generous amount in his will to pay for my Granny’s care at home. While I laugh at the coin shenanigans, some 27 year old true believer is trying to cover up his loss of half of her retirement and housing American dollars by doubling down on the same process and losing all of it. Institutions see easily manipulated gains in an area only their techbros in the mailroom talk about, and millions and billions are suddenly exposed to real risk of vanishing overnight. Some of these idiots get influence with politicians and suddenly Appleton doesn’t have police, fire, or money for subsidized utilities in the projects and the Country Club. That poo poo could be worse than nuclear winter, just because we can’t afford to harvest wheat, much less buy gas to truck it to the cities. We could have the worst famine in history with billions of tons of rice rotting in a field in Louisiana while New Orleans starves. Anybody dipping their pinky toe in these waters with a hedge fund’s capital should be smacked down. HARD. Even Madoff only devastated a small amount of people who may have lost $100M in one afternoon, but the vastest number of his victim pool weren’t necessarily evicted or inconvenienced much in their standard of living. No elderly couple had to eat dog food under the overpass because even the most brain dead boomer had professional folks to stop that. “Sell your third Learjet, Jeff, we were outbid on the fake meat burger deal!”

It’s not as funny as it used to be.

two of the largest donors to emperor Biden are also the largest known Tether exchanges in the west :clint:

https://protos.com/tether-minted-usdt-stablecoin-crypto-two-alameda-cumberland/

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
when i saw 75 new posts in the butt coin thread I assumed it was because That Guy had visited but I was pleasantly surprised. great and powerful orbs

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Hammerite posted:

when i saw 75 new posts in the butt coin thread I assumed it was because That Guy had visited but I was pleasantly surprised. great and powerful orbs

He visited the grey forums instead OP

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
blessed

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Computer Serf posted:

two of the largest donors to emperor Biden are also the largest known Tether exchanges in the west :clint:

https://protos.com/tether-minted-usdt-stablecoin-crypto-two-alameda-cumberland/

Yeah that’s the kind of stuff that bothers me, and would have even if the article was about Trump. At least the food riots haven’t started yet: Wait until Chicago or New York has a supply-chain problem with grocery store shelves.

Obviously, it would be good for Bitcoin.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

DerekSmartymans posted:

Yeah that’s the kind of stuff that bothers me, and would have even if the article was about Trump. At least the food riots haven’t started yet: Wait until Chicago or New York has a supply-chain problem with grocery store shelves.

Obviously, it would be good for Bitcoin.

tbh i wouldn’t be surprised if the :sureboat: that clogged up the Suez Canal was bribed by sam bankman crypto separatists to exacerbate the great inflation of the 2020s :freep:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Computer Serf posted:

tbh i wouldn’t be surprised if the :sureboat: that clogged up the Suez Canal was bribed by sam bankman crypto separatists to exacerbate the great inflation of the 2020s :freep:

Maybe the CIAFed could work to destabilize Bitcoin and BCash for a Civil Butt-war, drawing in their various shitcoin allies for a world-wide cryptojihad and genocide. Wait, is Fedora-wearing an ethnicity? It matters for the propaganda campaign…:commissar:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

It sounds like the orb eats your eyes and a QR code that maps to a wallet, to consider that QR code as belonging to a unique person. So if someone gets you to present the wrong QR code, your eyes belong to their wallet now and you can never be considered a unique person.

the way i read it, THE ORB doesn't really do any wallet stuff or identity tracking at all
the ORB scans your eye, checks to make sure you're not already in the eyeball database, and then the human ORB operator hands you some butt coins
it's just an extremely overengineered solution to the "limit one per person" problem so people can't come by again next week to collect a second handful of free worthless worldcoins

so the only consequence of lint in your eye is that you can get a second handout of free "money"

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
millions blinded in attempts to deceive orb

do not attempt to deceive orb

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
yeah, the ORB and its eye-scanning poo poo seems like just an excuse to require people to physically come to the worldcoin distributor in person in order to get their free crypto

the identity verification stuff is all to distract from the fact that they can't put worldcoin signups online because it'll immediately be swamped by bots

the investors will be too busy fantasizing about the amazing person identification tech to question the number problems inherent in signing up several billion people in person, or the incredible fraud potential inherent in mailing out thousands of Orbs to completely unsupervised "contractors" around the world

yes, i said the investors, because worldcoin is a startup that's raising tens of millions of dollars from investors (who will be granted 10% of the total worldcoin supply)

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I love this distributed egalitarian system that just involves giving data from the most invasive biometrics scan method (so far) to an unknown private company. I know that theorically it's just the hash, but that hash can be matched to you again if say, some entity with less than noble intentions ever got hold of that database and the hashing function. Then they just need to set up check points until you scan your eye again. That's in fact how a lot of biometrics identification systems, like the ones state governments use for entry/exit tracking, for instance, work!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

the investors will be too busy fantasizing about the amazing person identification tech to question the number problems inherent in signing up several billion people in person, or the incredible fraud potential inherent in mailing out thousands of Orbs to completely unsupervised "contractors" around the world

there's a complex system of bidding and rewards the "network" does to incentivize the Orb Operators to acquire more eyes for the Orb that the website goes into in detail so there's plenty of stupid algorithming going on here too don't worry

Beelzebufo posted:

giving data from the most invasive biometrics scan method (so far)

one of the things they say they considered but didn't go with was DNA so look forward to that one day

drk
Jan 16, 2005
they missed a huge opportunity to call it orbcoin

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose
were we're going we definitely need eyes

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Antlerhill posted:

were we're going we definitely need eyes

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/Lexialex/status/1450905829226336256?s=20

https://twitter.com/Lexialex/status/1450914448298762246?s=20

Well drat, she got us. time to burn down the rainforest

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

can I put my SSN into the orb and have it automatically pay my taxes with orb coins

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Main Paineframe posted:

the investors will be too busy fantasizing about the amazing person identification tech to question the number problems inherent in signing up several billion people in person

like pink eye

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

verified accounts making good use of that option to disable replies and still whining about their mentions I see

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I think i saw this orb thing before somewhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8siwHDa0xM

this is what happens if you are found to not be a unique human

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Tall Man for President!

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

DerekSmartymans posted:

Tall Man for President!

it's 2021. this is only one vague tax cut promise away from being realistic

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Shame Boy posted:

one of the things they say they considered but didn't go with was DNA so look forward to that one day

our all new verification system is twice as good as the orb, because you only have one of the… assets… it scans, so you can’t cheat. we call it THE PROBE and, well

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
“Zopotantor’s PROBE” sounds like the best soundtrack for a cyberpunk video game!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Boxturret posted:

give your eyes to ORB

EorayMel posted:

"ORB OPERATOR"

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
loving coinbase sponsoring an nba game with their name on the court. this is at dotcom bubble levels. I remember whoopi goldberg ads for flooz. or was it beenz? anyway I can't believe tether is going to destroy the world economy.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

vortmax posted:

loving coinbase sponsoring an nba game with their name on the court. this is at dotcom bubble levels. I remember whoopi goldberg ads for flooz. or was it beenz? anyway I can't believe tether is going to destroy the world economy.

If you think about it, basketball is a game played with an orb. It's all orbs, all the time.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

orange juche posted:

If you think about it, basketball is a game played with an orb. It's all orbs, all the time.
:aaaaa:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

https://twitter.com/Lexialex/status/1450918775549616128?s=20

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

:thunk:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

vortmax posted:

it was fleenz, op

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I just remembered I had this and had some pretty good laughs remembering the WITHE PAPER with it too

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Zopotantor posted:

our all new verification system is twice as good as the orb, because you only have one of the… assets… it scans, so you can’t cheat. we call it THE PROBE and, well

goatsee

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Do you think that the goatman may potentially have been spreading his anus in preparation for insertion of the orb?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the goatman is the orb. stare into it and know its truths

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

saw a recent tweet from the D&B producer Billain where they deliberately added "disclaimer: this is not NFT", not sure if this owns because creators are waking up to the scam or whether it sucks because NFTs have tainted almost all aspects of media promotion.

https://twitter.com/Billain/status/1451875632334442505

that said it might just be my fault

https://twitter.com/Billain/status/1450077756604272648

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

saw a recent tweet from the D&B producer Billain where they deliberately added "disclaimer: this is not NFT", not sure if this owns because creators are waking up to the scam or whether it sucks because NFTs have tainted almost all aspects of media promotion.

https://twitter.com/Billain/status/1451875632334442505

that said it might just be my fault

https://twitter.com/Billain/status/1450077756604272648
lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

isn't he one of the producers who did an nft thing a few months back? might be less morals and more he's been burned already