Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TK8325 posted:

Blood boiling. It's just hair you toolbelt. The poo poo regrows. :fuckoff:

Yes but a mother's conditional love does not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cloacamazing! posted:

Would you believe me this is not the best Dickmann's product? That would be the limited Dick Easter special:

Eier is in fact slang for balls, so even a proper translation of that would still end up with "Fatman's huge balls". They can't not be doing this on purpose.

And complete with a completely different stoned-looking cartoon animal mascot.

Mx. posted:

AITA for telling my daughter she has to deal with consequences?

where to even start

Like, in a vacuum it's a good idea to teach a kid that deciding to do something like get a major change of hairstyle while in a bad mood is a bad idea, but jeez.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I wonder why they're divorced

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Cloacamazing! posted:

Would you believe me this is not the best Dickmann's product? That would be the limited Dick Easter special:

Eier is in fact slang for balls, so even a proper translation of that would still end up with "Fatman's huge balls". They can't not be doing this on purpose.

Ok but Moam

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

teen witch posted:

Ok but Moam

is this loss?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

AceClown posted:

is this loss?

Well something might be going loose so tangentially. Loss: Gaiden

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

AITA For making a bad joke?

quote:

I work in a truck repair shop and we make pretty hosed up jokes often. I (black person) saw this guy I work with (white person) who also makes dark jokes at a table with another guy (also white) and saw an opportunity.

In the show from the mid 2000s, The Boondocks, Grandad wanted to appeal to an investor of his business by offering him a plate of cheese after learning while people on the show love cheese.

I sat down next to them and said “ah a group of fellow Caucasians. Have you tried any cheese lately?” He kind of snickers but you can tell that he thought it crossed a line.

Every white person I’ve told about that joke found it funny. Did I cross a line? In retrospect if you flip the roles it could be perceived as kind of racist.

If this isn't a race-swapped post where some chud got in poo poo for asking a table of black dudes if they want some fried chicken and watermelon I'll eat my dick and balls

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

AceClown posted:

AITA For making a bad joke?

If this isn't a race-swapped post where some chud got in poo poo for asking a table of black dudes if they want some fried chicken and watermelon I'll eat my dick and balls

That is 100 percent bait and I yearn to know what really happened

However:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Don't joke about cheese unless you can do it in a passable Northerner English accent.

Also, now I'm hungry.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

teen witch posted:

That is 100 percent bait and I yearn to know what really happened

However:

This looks like it could be Australia, in which case I guarantee absolutely nobody gave any thought to the implications of that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bargearse posted:

This looks like it could be Australia, in which case I guarantee absolutely nobody gave any thought to the implications of that.

Sadly I think they changed the name of the brand of cheese named Coon.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Fargle posted:

This thread is absolutely spectacular at making me extremely glad to be gay.

Fear not, I got you covered!

AITA for leaving my pregnant fiance homeless?

quote:

Was engaged to my fiance for six months after dating for five years. Last month she found out she was pregnant. We're both women, so yeah.

We tried counseling, we discussed options, she wants to keep the baby, I want nothing to do with her, called off the wedding, and made arrangements with my sister to move in with her temporarily. I talked to apartment management today and told them I wouldn't be renewing the lease (lease expires in three months).

Ex-fiance broke down in tears when I told her. Says she has nowhere else to go. I suggested the baby daddy, she says he won't unless she has an abortion. She doesn't have any family in this country and says she'll be homeless, she can't pay the lease on this apartment and take care of a baby. I told her tough poo poo and left.

My sister and brother in law think I'm being heartless for abandoning her like this after five years together, I think she made her choice when she had an affair and apparently let him raw dog her or whatever.

AITA?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

sephiRoth IRA posted:

My personal relationship with God means I get to call him Biggie Y

The Notorious G.O.D.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Barudak posted:

I don't really get the idea of a pregnancy fetish since the reason the act exists for heterosexual people is the whole impregnation thing. Its like saying you have a going places fetish when you're driving.

Sometimes it's nice to drive around the block, op.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I am pretty sure Tetragrammaton is the Silent Hill deity.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for kicking out my daughter after what she did?

quote:

I have 2 daughters, one is 33 (Kasey) and the other is 31 (Joan). Joan got married a couple months ago. Joan had a hard time in life, she had surgery and got addicted to opiods at 15. She struggled through school for a while, ended up doing a crap ton of things she wasn’t proud of, but once we managed to get her proper help, she was fine again.

In context, the things she did whilst an addict were really bad. I’m talking ruining family reunions, causing arguments around the house, the works. One example is when Kasey was graduating. Joan didn’t want to go, and insisted we both go without her, but this was when she was at the height of her addiction, so we called her grandparents to watch her, and they would take 10 minutes to get to the house. She warned us that if she went she might cause a scene, but Kasey told her to just shut up and come, and she should at least be able to sit through one of the most important moments of her life.

Well, she ended up projectile vomiting all over the next 2 rows, then proceeded to break down and wail/cry because of the embarrassment. I left with her, whilst my husband stayed to support Kasey. Obviously her sister was furious at her, and when we got home, she promised Joan that when her graduation came, she’d ruin it for her.

Joan had been off drugs for long before her graduation and begged us to not let Kasey come. We obliged and told Kasey to stay at home or do something else. She was not welcome at the graduation. The graduation went fine.

There were a ton more incidents in the 2 years where she was an addict, but in the end she got clean, went to a good college, and got a great job. She’s well past her addiction now. Now, because Kasey never got to ruin her sister’s graduation, she’s been waiting for another big life moment for her to ruin. If it’s relevant, Kasey never got to go to college so that high school graduation was her only graduation.

Joan graduated from college, but only me and her father were able to go because of the distance. Now, the moment that Kasey had dedicated herself to ruining is her wedding.

Joan is often sensitive at life events, and she has some issues she’s working through with a therapist on the side. Joan thought that Kasey would be over the HS graduation issue, and Kasey pretended like she was. In the dressing room right before Joan was meant to walk down the aisle, Kasey took her aside, and started insulting everything about her. I had gone to the bathroom at this time. She called her fat, she said her dress made her look like a pathetic slut, that her husband was constantly looking at other women’s asses. She went on and on until Joan was on the ground in tears. Her makeup was ruined, no one was there to fix it, and the wedding was ruined. Joan walked down the aisle still crying.

After this, I told the family what Kasey had done, and no one’s talking to her. I kicked her out and told her to come back, because she was a vile human being who can’t let anything go. She has nowhere else to go now because she can’t afford any other house

AITA?

(original used numbers instead of names which I have replaced for easier reading)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Sounds like having an addict sister who deliberately ruined important life moments caused the other sister to just break.

Also, how does a 15 year old get addicted to opioids? I know the US has the whole opioid crisis thing, but can a child get access to them without a parent's and doctor's consent?.

Also, I'm wondering why Kasey didn't get to go to college? Was it because of her addict sister?

Basically, what I'm asking is whether the parents had a golden child, got her addicted to drugs because they couldn't bear to see her in 'pain' and ignored every time she literally vomited all over her sister's life.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Kid got addicted to pain meds after being on them a long time following a serious accident, it's a known thing. If the kid was trouble for only 2 years and fine before her own graduation, it seems hard to pin the next 14 years on her.

edit: Stuff in the comments; OP's getting mad downvoted for talking back.

quote:

She didn't get grades which were good enough to go to her desired college courses, so she decided to not go at all.

I did offer her therapy, but she always refused

Except we sent Joan to rehab for more than half a year, and no, you're assuming that she made the world revolve around her, she never did. The worst things she did was the vomiting at graduation, and/or passing out at her aunt's funeral. we did our level best to contain Joan's issues to Joan and I feel like we did. When I asked Kasey why she ruined her sister's wedding she literally said "She ruined my graduation, and I never got her back".

Also, wtf is wrong with you, why on earth should I kick out an addict 14 year old, who btw is an addict through no fault of her own, because of her almost adult sister.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 23, 2021

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Serephina posted:

If the kid was trouble for only 2 years and fine before her own graduation, it seems hard to pin the next 14 years on her.

Yeah, I was having a hard time trying to figure out how 30 year olds were ruining each other's graduations until I figured out it was some really old high school bullshit.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Barudak posted:

I don't really get the idea of a pregnancy fetish since the reason the act exists for heterosexual people is the whole impregnation thing. Its like saying you have a going places fetish when you're driving.

Some of these people get married and have 10+ kids. The rest of these people keep having sex with people who don’t want to be pregnant. Anecdotally, I had a friend who just thought pregnant women were the most beautiful women he’d ever seen, but absolutely did not want to get anyone pregnant.

Also REALLY loving trashcanpanda here. I, too, thoroughly enjoy the confused look on a white man’s face when it suddenly occurs to him that he is a white man and not the standard model of human from which all other demographics deviate (god I hope I phrased that coherently).

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Opioids are Really drat Easy to get addicted to, and I'm not going to blame a teenager for it happening to them following prescribed usage after a surgery. It's some poo poo that happens, and opioid withdrawal is no joke. She had her poo poo together enough to apparently know it was best not to go to the graduation, if we take the story at face value, and loving shocker, some poo poo ended up happening.

ETA: I will say AITA has a god drat hate on for addicts, just in general, though. I'm not saying all addicts are Great People and It's Not Their Fault, but they seriously loving hate addicts there and anything you do to them is justified by virtue of them having an addiction.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 23, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Sometimes it's nice to drive around the block, op.

Absolute moral degeneracy, I will not allow this to be taught to our children in these depraved liberal so called "drivers education" classes

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
AITA for confiscating my daughter's fanfiction?

quote:

My daughter is thirteen, and very introverted. I love her, and she's the funniest, smartest person I know, but she doesn't have very good social skills. She has severe anxiety and has struggled with clinical depression since she was nine. She's my only child, FYI.

Our family's moving between states at the moment and currently staying at a friends' house for a month. This whole summer, she's been very distracted by her phone. She's always been an avid reader, and when we asked what she was doing all the time she said she was just reading stories online. We assumed it was e-books or something.

We noticed she went over the data limit for the month, so her father asked for her phone and the password. She said no to giving us the password, but agreed to turn the phone off for the rest of the month to avoid going over more. We were understandably concerned, she's normally very complacent, respectful, and not at all defensive about her phone. So we threatened to take it away entirely unless she told us. She did, after a screaming, sobbing poo poo-fit, the likes of which I haven't seen since she was a toddler. When we opened it, we found tons of extremely explicit fanfiction. She's never shown any interest in sex before, and all of this was between two male characters from a TV show we knew she loved (though we didn't know how much). There was fanart too. Not all of it was explicit, some of it just seemed like plain old creative writing, but I went through all of it in front of her. She said she's not using it to get off, she was just curious and found it interesting. I said I was going to start getting into the community too so that I could understand it and she could talk about it with me, but she seemed very opposed to the idea. She begged me not to talk about it more with her father (they have a weird, cold relationship, unfortunately) and I didn't in front of her. But we find this very concerning.

Given what I know about her lack of social skills, I couldn't help but feel this wasn't helping. So I deleted all of what she had saved as well as the pictures. I don't care that it was gay in nature, I've been pretty sure since she was six that she's lesbian. But this can't be normal or healthy. I took her phone for a week, removed the password, and when we see her reading things now we always ask her specifically to tell us what it is. She seems to have stopped, I'm not going to check her browsing history.

I told some of my girlfriends about it and they said I was being controlling and insensitive, and that telling them about it was humiliating for her. She doesn't know I told them, so it can't be humiliating, and I just want what's best for her. I can't imagine this is.

Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Edit: I do want to say that none of what I saw was disturbing, per se. No, like, BDSM/rape/super kinky kinda stuff. Very vanilla (very explicit, don't get me wrong, but vanilla) for the most part (one threesome, I think). The gayness is a pretty weird, I guess, but that's not why I took it away. I just think it's all kinda gross and distracting for an awkward thirteen-year-old that needs to focus on herself.

Edit pt.2: I just want to clarify: I don't think being gay is weird or bad, as I stated above. I just thought it was a little odd for a probably-lesbian girl to be so into male-on-male sex.

Edit pt. 3: After reading the comments, it's clear that I've hosed this up horrendously. I'm not going to blame anyone else but me for this. I have always tried to make an environment for my daughter where she's aware of sex and safety and comfortable talking to me, but I've just shot myself in the foot. I never meant for her to run in the other direction, and that's what I've done. I should have respected her right to privacy more than I did. Some of you pointed out that this is similar to Harlequin romance novels, which I hadn't considered and which makes this much clearer to me. To clarify, if she came out to me I would, of course, be supportive. If she ends up being straight I'll obviously respect that. It's just always been my motherly instinct that she might like girls, which I never meant in a creepy way. I also didn't realize there's a community there that she may have become attached to, and I don't want to ruin whatever social interactions she has. I feel loving awful. She's my entire world and I didn't mean to handle this so, so wrong. I'll talk to her tomorrow face-to-face and try to repair whatever I can. I never should have told her father, I'll own that, I just thought he should know as her other parent. I definitely never should have told my friends, oh my god, I only thought they may have had similar experiences. I'm realizing how much I completely cocked this up. Thank you for giving me the slap in the face I needed.

Edit pt. 4: Last edit, I promise. Just want to clarify:

1) No screaming or over-the-head scolding was involved. I didn't tell her she was gross or strange, just that she'd been spending too much time on it and I was concerned that she wasn't focusing on other things (upcoming school year, talking to our hosts, etc.) I expressed concern that it was stopping her from trying to make friends in real life, and that some of the things she was reading might not be the healthiest in terms of relationship dynamics (consent, etc.) and sexual health (using condoms, etc.). I absolutely concede that I was in the wrong, and that my deletions and helicoptering would make her feel ashamed, but for context, that's what happened there.

2) The two friends I told are my best friends and live in Australia. They've never met my daughter and she is only peripherally aware of their existence at best. I never should have told them, I know that now, but the likelihood of this coming back and humiliating my daughter further is minimal, FYI. Her father took a backseat during this whole thing and hasn't altered his behavior in the slightest. He and my daughter are getting on better right now than she's getting along with me, which makes PERFECT sense because I'm an idiot bitch who massively violated her privacy.

3) If I could go back and not mention my suspicions about her sexuality, I would. They don't affect the outcome, and I would never, ever in a thousand years try to pry into that part of her life (weird line for me, of all people, to draw, I get it, but there it is). My sister was outed by my ultra-religious parents when we were teenagers and it left her with lifelong scars. I never want that to be the case here. I haven't told anybody my thoughts on it, save this sub. It doesn't matter to me how she identifies, she's my daughter and I love her more than anything. The nature of the fanfiction didn't concern me aside from how explicit it was and how much time she was reading. If it was a straight couple I'd have been just as concerned. Would I have been justified? No, but that was the logic at play, as flawed as it was.

4) I meant fandom things, not sexual fanfiction things when I offered to get involved. Like, expos, and such. Not fisting fics. I did not phrase that at all well.

Update: Today I sat her down and we talked this over. I explained why I reacted the way I did (my concerns about safety, education, isolation, etc.) , why that was wrong of me, and why nothing she'd done was wrong. I apologized profusely (her father will do the same later) and promised to respect her privacy more going forward. She was very emotional and explained part of why she had been so into the fanfiction community. She has liked seeing more representation of LGBTQ relationships and talking to other LGBTQ youth. She came out to me (she asked me not to tell her father until she's ready, and of course I won't, lesson learned), and though some trust has been lost I think we are going to be okay with some hard work on my part. She's going to join our local support group for queer youth and I'm fully on board. We've discussed implementing some of the suggestions commenters have given, and we're excited about them! Thank you to everyone who commented and called me on my bullshit, because I desperately needed it. Thank you, thank you, thank you! - An Idiotic, but Grateful Mother
The fandom was Sherlock.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for confiscating my daughter's fanfiction?

The fandom was Sherlock.

It was either Sherlock or Supernatural and when she didn't bring up the characters being brothers as a reason it was bad I knew it was Sherlock

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Sounds like having an addict sister who deliberately ruined important life moments caused the other sister to just break.

Also, how does a 15 year old get addicted to opioids? I know the US has the whole opioid crisis thing, but can a child get access to them without a parent's and doctor's consent?.

Also, I'm wondering why Kasey didn't get to go to college? Was it because of her addict sister?

Basically, what I'm asking is whether the parents had a golden child, got her addicted to drugs because they couldn't bear to see her in 'pain' and ignored every time she literally vomited all over her sister's life.

Pain meds in the US have spent decades alternating between totally unattainable even if you're in 24/7 agony, doctors getting bribed to push oxy and codeine on anyone who reports having cramps, and both simultaneously. If you listen to your doctor about medical stuff instead of putting in a bunch of research to establish your own need and risk factor you might just get addicted to smack, oops sucks for you, have you tried personal responsibility you degenerate

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 23, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Given everything we know about the US opioid epidemic, I am absolutely never going to blame a child for becoming addicted to powerful pain relievers.

The older sister comes across as insanely petty in all this, no matter how badly she feels she was treated. It was half a lifetime ago. Let it loving go.

EDIT: it reminds me of the guy whose wife cheated and he stayed married and raised that child as his own until they were 18, then walked right out the door.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 23, 2021

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

therobit posted:

When I was little my dad was a blacksmith and a sheet metal worker. He had a close friend who was a welder and the guy’s party trick was taking pans out of the oven with his bare hands. I don’t know the temperatures involved but when I got older it always struck me as some absurd macho thing. My mom, a nurse, was horrified.

My dad says that you know things are hot when they're slippery.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
AITA for being upset that another woman brought my sick husband soup?

quote:

Me (34 female) has been married to my husband (36 male) for three years. In the past few months my husband and his co-worker (33 female) have become very close friends. Lately, they have been communicating over social media constantly (text, Facebook, Instagram, Discord, etc…), every time I catch a glance at his phone there are notifications from her. They travel together for work frequently, I would say he sees her more than he sees me. For the record, the travelling for work does not bother me. What does bother me is that after spending days at a time on a work trip they cannot go a few days without meeting up for lunch or some sort of outing. If the traveling and incessant communication wasn’t enough they also spend hours off the clock playing video games.

A few weeks ago my husband came home from a trip and was feeling sick. I offered to take a break from work to bring him home soup but he said he was fine. I then got an alert from our front door camera indicating movement. I checked the camera and saw that it was her bringing him – you guessed it – soup. She hung out for an hour and I only knew she was at our home because I saw her on the camera. He did not tell me.

When I came home I confronted him and we talked about setting boundaries. After everything that happened he still doesn’t understand why the soup was the straw that broke the camel’s back. TLDR, am I the rear end in a top hat for being upset that my husband’s friend is bringing him soup when I should be the one taking care of him? P.S. I only work ten minutes away.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

A standard prescription of opioids had good chances of causing an addiction.

Purdue was particularly vile in this case, where they pushed their "OxyContin lasts for 12 hours" marketing so hard despite clear evidence that it's a lie, meaning that many patients would experience weeks of horrible pain every 12 hours "solved" by the opioid. It's hard to imagine a protocol more designed to induce dependence.

It's arguably safer all around to give your teenager a bucket of CBD gummies for pain management than following a "long lasting" opioid's prescription to the letter.

Scaevolus fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 23, 2021

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Yeah that one is probably the first time I’ve read the comments on aita and got pissed off. A whole lot of “why didn’t you horribly punish her for the crime of being sick at a graduation she didn’t feel well enough to go to???”

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

CBD and THC oil were basically how I survived this summer's ruptured ovarian cyst. One for when I was working, one when I wasn't. Because no one would loving prescribe me anything at all even after I ended up in the ER vomiting from the pain. There, that's my free pain advice.

Checks out, I'm a cracker and I do love cheese.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Funktastic posted:

Yeah that one is probably the first time I’ve read the comments on aita and got pissed off. A whole lot of “why didn’t you horribly punish her for the crime of being sick at a graduation she didn’t feel well enough to go to???”

AITA hates addicts. HATES them. I've seen stories where the addict didn't even do poo poo, and they're still praising someone treating them like a child and throwing out all their booze. Boy howdy, the DTs are sure going to help that boozehound see the error of their ways. Why couldn't they just not be addicted? And they absolutely don't care about what the substance is because they hate on addicts of everything from cigarettes to hardcore drugs.

Except weed. Weed is a-okay.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Definitely reads like the parents enabled the addict sister at the very least & neglected the older sister's needs. They literally knew the older one would be pissed after so many years of mistreatment but chose not to address it other than "let's exclude her so she won't cause issues". Parents are absolutely the assholes here for letting it go that far, you can tell with the sparse details they're leaving a LOT out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Definitely reads like the parents enabled the addict sister at the very least & neglected the older sister's needs. They literally knew the older one would be pissed after so many years of mistreatment but chose not to address it other than "let's exclude her so she won't cause issues". Parents are absolutely the assholes here for letting it go that far, you can tell with the sparse details they're leaving a LOT out.

I don't see how you have a teenage opiates addict in the house without a lot of enabling and full on denial, and unfortunately it looks like the sister's come to take it all out on her rather than realise the situation was incredibly hosed and the parents should not be denying responsibility.

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

rotinaj posted:

I just want to hear from the boyfriend to hear what aspect of a horrible soda coffee was supposed to be romantic

Why did he keep insisting that this weird invention was a gesture that would somehow mean more to her? It doesn’t sound like Mountain Dew is a big fave of hers, so where does the romance come into the picture?

My best guess is that the bf loves mountain dew, assumes the op loves coffee, and hoped that, by mixing the drinks together, he’d create a drink they would both love which would bring them closer together as a couple. A peanut butter/ chocolate situation, if you will.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

RoboRodent posted:

CBD and THC oil were basically how I survived this summer's ruptured ovarian cyst. One for when I was working, one when I wasn't. Because no one would loving prescribe me anything at all even after I ended up in the ER vomiting from the pain. There, that's my free pain advice.

Checks out, I'm a cracker and I do love cheese.

* Doctor gets to the part of the chart that says "ovary", nods sagely, and marks the check box next to the word "hysterical" *

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Well, I didn't see it posted so...
:siren: The Timothy Story :siren:

I'm [F34] pregnant and struggling with my husband's [M35] lack of support regarding my in-laws behaviour. How can I improve the situation?

quote:

Sorry for the length, I've explained this on r/AITA but since the common opinion is that I'm not at fault, I was told to look for advice elsewhere.

SOME INFO: I've been happily married for 10 years now. I'm still very much in love and he's my best friend and we normally never argue! I'm not even sure if this was an argument but it left me feeling lonely, unsupported and isolated from his side of the family.

The relationship with his parents has been strained. They own a number of mouse figurines; they are made from different materials and one is a giant papier-maché one called Timothy. Each of them has a whole character profile with backstories, personal preferences, family relations etc. and all of them are seen as part of the family (Timothy even as my in-laws’ grandchild).

What unsettles me, is that they constantly talk as them with other mice or each other/guests. They’ll use a high-pitched tone and they’ll talk in a manner that little children would use. For instance, my husband’s father will squeakingly say “My tummy hurts, I am hungry!” while wiggling a mouse plushie in my face. I’m then expected to answer the mouse and get it, not him, something to eat. They do this constantly. In fact, most of the time, the mice are talking, not them.

Til now, I’ve never said anything judgy but I usually avoid talking to the mice and instead address the person talking. I’ve never talked as a mouse. His parents have noticed this and have often tried forcing me into it. They are visibly upset that I won’t participate and have “gifted me” mice figurines on several occasions that I haven't used. I understand that it’s probably them welcoming me into the family but I’m just too creeped out by it. When they visit us, they force me to get them out of the closet and display them and I feel invaded by that. (At the same time, I feel silly about feeling invaded by inanimate objects.)

Today, it escalated when we announced that I am pregnant and my father-in-law replied that it would be wonderful “to soon have two grandchildren” (by the first, he meant Timothy). For the first time, I got angry and said that he didn’t have a grandchild yet and that my child wasn’t comparable to a papier-maché mouse. They got very angry and I got screamed at as Timothy for disrespecting him. He called me stupid.

This is the conflict I need advice for:

Instead of supporting me, my husband stayed silent the whole time and later told me that many people's stuffed animals talk and that he can’t understand how I am so tolerant in everything but this. I was crying at this point but he didn't comfort me which is very unlike him and how I know that he is truly upset as well.

I've been very sad as I'm a family-oriented person and I've always regretted that I don't feel included in his side of the family. His parents have always acted cold towards me although I've made an effort to take a genuine interest in their lives and to build a bond with them. After my outburst, it’s obviously even worse. I feel lonely and unsure and I don’t know how to act anymore or how to make him understand that I need him to do something! I don't even know what I want him to do exactly. I'm scared that he will reject me for being "difficult" and putting him in an uncomfortable position but at the same time I feel like I can't stand this anymore. I'm scared that they'll do this to our child or make them feel unloved.

So, I'm looking for advice on how to deal with this situation.

Should I press the issue or accept the situation and try to avoid them? How should I deal with this once our child is born?

TL;dr My in-laws communicate as and via mouse figurines who they see as family members. I don’t want to participate and told them my child would be different from and more important than a mouse grandchild. They got really angry and, instead of supporting me, my husband thinks I should be more tolerant.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

* Doctor gets to the part of the chart that says "ovary", nods sagely, and marks the check box next to the word "hysterical" *

It was a male doctor, so yeah, essentially.

He told me to just take Advil and I'd be fine. I was not.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

Well, I didn't see it posted so...
:siren: The Timothy Story :siren:

I'm [F34] pregnant and struggling with my husband's [M35] lack of support regarding my in-laws behaviour. How can I improve the situation?

tyvm for reminding me of Timothy the Mouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Was there ever an update to Timothy?