Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

It would be nice to have an NRS game where they have to do a completely different type of animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
WB is apparently a complete basket case internally, wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to hedge their bets.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I always imagined if NRS made a mahvel game they'd make Magneto a super slow zoner thats chucking metal at people and making barriers. Like he'd be Dr. Fate but slower.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

It'd be nice if there was another NRS game that didn't look and play like high res dogshit on every level.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Glagha posted:

It'd be nice if there was another NRS game that didn't look and play like high res dogshit on every level.

Wouldn't be an NRS game then though

ainda_
Oct 9, 2021

We Are All Us
We will heal the world.
I think they should go back to putting funny digitized little men in their game who get their heads knocked off, it would be a lot better than their current "photobucket 3D modelling Fullsail student portfolio" aesthetic. Also maybe they wouldn't traumatize their workers that way.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ed Boon told me personally that they're going to make Shaolin Monks 2 and it will rule.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

exquisite tea posted:

Ed Boon told me personally that they're going to make Shaolin Monks 2 and it will rule.

Tbh, Ed Boon is a coward for not making Shaolin Monks 2 by now

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I'd give mortal kombat a try if it wasn't for the horrific fatality stuff

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I'd give mortal kombat a try if it wasn't for the horrific fatality stuff

Yeah, I seriously do not enjoy 99% of them anymore. The old ones were cartoony violence that, while sometimes yucky, didn't churn the stomach the way the modern poo poo does. Knowing that a bunch of artists and programmers were also traumatized in making them makes it even worse.

I do like playing Pretty Kombat Princess Dressup, tho

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah fatalities just aren't fun at all anymore. They're way, way too fuckin gross. Uppercutting someone's head off is cool. Crushing someone under an MK cabinet is cool. Graphically bisecting someone and lovingly rendering all their organs spilling out is not fun. (Ferra Torr throwing the rider through someone's chest like a javelin is pretty funny though). Also everyone's faces in Injustice look weird to me I don't know why but there's a distinctly uncanny valley to everyone's expressions that would have been mitigated by a more cartoony, comic book aesthetic than what we got

Also NRS games play like everyone's a loving robot why is the combat so stiff and clunky. It's like I'm playing rock em sock em robots but with horrifically oppressive zoning and extremely questionable balance. Everyone still moves like it's MK1. Also I know they're making up for characters that were terrible digitized actors but character design in MK is bad everyone looks stupid.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Real hurthling! posted:

Rumor mill saying nether realm is making a smash clone with warner properties like scooby doo and dc comics

The "blackjacks and hookers" bit from Futurama, only it's Scorpion being refused entry into Smash Ultimate.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years

Glagha posted:

Also NRS games play like everyone's a loving robot why is the combat so stiff and clunky.

This is why I actually busted out laughing at the notion of an NRS smash clone. It’s been a long while so someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t Mortal Kombat 11 have negative edge for normal buttons by default?

As in, you have to go into the options and toggle a switch to make your normals happen on button press and not button release? I swear that was an actual thing I remember having to do, and my mind was boggled over what kind of horrible gremlin people would design a fighting game that rear end backwards.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
nether realm apparently isn't making the Smash Warner Bros game but one is in the works

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

KungFu Grip posted:

nether realm apparently isn't making the Smash Warner Bros game but one is in the works

that seems far more sensible if true

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Ghost Leviathan posted:

WB is apparently a complete basket case internally, wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to hedge their bets.

Yeah, given everything it's been up to lately, it makes a certain amount of sense that it would've at least been trying to get NRS to work on three if not four games like that simultaneously.

Things might be slightly calmer if the Warner/Discovery spin-off goes through next year, but in the meantime, every single element within WB seems like it's visibly panicking.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
NRS games are kinda interesting in how different their mechanics are from every other 2D fighter but the dial-a-combo system where you have to input all your buttons like 300f before they actually come out is so loving off-putting to me.

Also I want a toggle to turn off all the Epic Gamer Gore and the 5 minute long super animations that only exist to show it off.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Feed enough college grads into the meat grinder and you can make anything you want.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I forget which MK game/character it was but I was watching a match and one character got her eyes stabbed out like 3 times in the same round. After a certain point the gore doesn't even make video game sense.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Blaise330 posted:

I always imagined if NRS made a mahvel game they'd make Magneto a super slow zoner thats chucking metal at people and making barriers. Like he'd be Dr. Fate but slower.

give the x-men license to literally everyone, then have a big crossover but it's just different versions of magneto

Magneto vs. Magneto: Rise of the Magnetos

e:

magneto (full moon)

EX magneto

evil magneto

xorn

ian mckellan magneto

michael fassbender magneto

filia

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

give the x-men license to literally everyone, then have a big crossover but it's just different versions of magneto

Magneto vs. Magneto: Rise of the Magnetos

e:

magneto (full moon)

EX magneto

evil magneto

xorn

ian mckellan magneto

michael fassbender magneto

filia

I'm going to main the 9-foot-tall Konami Magneto. Welcome to die, X-Chickens!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

NRS games are kinda interesting in how different their mechanics are from every other 2D fighter but the dial-a-combo system where you have to input all your buttons like 300f before they actually come out is so loving off-putting to me.

Also I want a toggle to turn off all the Epic Gamer Gore and the 5 minute long super animations that only exist to show it off.

I wish I could at least turn off the long animations in MKXI, it's worth wise a perfect fighting game.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I like MKX but the older MKs with all the cartoony poo poo I bounce off of for some reason and I don't know why, it's either the controls or me getting annoyed that I can't do fatalities right

11 is nice too from what I played but knowing someone legit died on the job making it makes me ill

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

My dream fighting game is Smash Ultimate, but it's all X-Men and Avengers characters.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

blazblue central fiction is 5 bux on fanatical

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/blaz-blue-centralfiction

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Dracula Factory posted:

I forget which MK game/character it was but I was watching a match and one character got her eyes stabbed out like 3 times in the same round. After a certain point the gore doesn't even make video game sense.

Sure, but MK presents fighting games' aesthetic at its most pure: tremendous acts of crippling, life-threatening violence that gets immediately reset at every round with a conclusive rejoinder by the winning avatar upon total victory.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Glagha posted:

Also everyone's faces in Injustice look weird to me I don't know why but there's a distinctly uncanny valley to everyone's expressions that would have been mitigated by a more cartoony, comic book aesthetic than what we got
All the women have the same look like theyve been stung in the cheeks by a bee

Not buying WWE 2k22 unless it has The Mountie and Nasty Boys vs the Blue World Order

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
for my spandex suplex needs I go to the deepest and most customizable slobberknocker game on steam, the hit wrestling empire by noted genius mdickie

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

NRS games rule.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
no real dog in the NRS race as I haven't played or watched any of the new stuff but the one person I know who grinds NRS games does this weird thing where they don't acknowledge or talk about any other fighting games. like imagine a group of ppl asking someone if they wanna play something on fightcade and they just change the subject or completely ignore everyone

this has colored my impression of NRS stuff, like what did they do to him???

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I taught an NRS gamer how to potbuster me and he was amazed and horrified at the existence of diagonals in the motions

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
MK11 and Injustice 2 have legit some of the best facial capture in video games at the moment and whoever their new cinematographer is knows how to frame super moves and fatalities to be cool looking and visceral but also knows when to cut or frame a shot so it doesnt linger on somebody bleeding out or anything else too disgusting.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This but Duck King in The King Of Fighters.

It would be The Duck King Of Fighters.

No I don't really have any ideas beyond the title.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

HerniaFlange posted:

This but Duck King in The King Of Fighters.

It would be The Duck King Of Fighters.

No I don't really have any ideas beyond the title.

it's all duck king, but heavy d is also there

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

anime was right posted:

that seems far more sensible if true

Apparently John Tobias is leading some other studio for WB and it might be them?

As in, the dude who's last fighting game was Tao Feng

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Jazerus posted:

it's all duck king, but heavy d is also there

All the one-shot losers who never got invited to a second tournament can all hang out and make their own King of Fighters.

With blackjack. And hookers. Which should be a given since checks quickly yep, that list includes Mr. Big.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The US Sports Team has been invited to KOF plenty of times, people just keep beating them up and taking their invites

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Mr. Locke posted:

All the one-shot losers who never got invited to a second tournament can all hang out and make their own King of Fighters.

With blackjack. And hookers. Which should be a given since checks quickly yep, that list includes Mr. Big.

Also Hwa Jai so bring booze

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Ryaomon posted:

MK11 and Injustice 2 have legit some of the best facial capture in video games at the moment and whoever their new cinematographer is knows how to frame super moves and fatalities to be cool looking and visceral but also knows when to cut or frame a shot so it doesnt linger on somebody bleeding out or anything else too disgusting.

yeah the tone between mkx and mk11 are night and day thankfully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Pyrus Malus posted:

no real dog in the NRS race as I haven't played or watched any of the new stuff but the one person I know who grinds NRS games does this weird thing where they don't acknowledge or talk about any other fighting games. like imagine a group of ppl asking someone if they wanna play something on fightcade and they just change the subject or completely ignore everyone

this has colored my impression of NRS stuff, like what did they do to him???

Every game has its adherents, but IME there's a weirdly higher likelihood of "I don't like fighting games I like THIS fighting game" with NRS, KI, and DoA than the rest of the FGC.