Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Shifty Pony posted:

I hadn't thought of them that way, I always thought of them as prime evidence that we have a "too much money" problem. people just parking money for a place in line not even knowing what is going to be at the end of the line but they don't care because they are mainly hoping they can sell their spot in line.

And here I am thinking paying anything near 4 figures for a gaming chair full of plastic and fake leather is stupid

Euphoriaphone posted:

SPACs are the craziest thing ever. They're literally lootboxes for stock. I give it another year until some newspaper puts out a report about how blatantly obvious it is that insiders trade SPAC shares before the acquisition target is announced, at which point the SEC will announce an investigation that will go nowhere. SPACs will probably fall out of favor if there are ever any rumblings of increased scrutiny, but I doubt they'll ever be rightfully banned.

The fact that any financial regulator lets a SPAC publicly sell shares in an entity that has no actual operations is insane.

Glad to see regulators has fully grasped the essence of the democratic party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

:thunk:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Vanguard is the biggest SPAC of all makes u think :thunk:

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I have a new SPAC that invests in SPAC investment thinktank firms specializing in SPAC mergers targeting divestment sell offs

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Euphoriaphone posted:

SPACs are the craziest thing ever. They're literally lootboxes for stock. I give it another year until some newspaper puts out a report about how blatantly obvious it is that insiders trade SPAC shares before the acquisition target is announced, at which point the SEC will announce an investigation that will go nowhere. SPACs will probably fall out of favor if there are ever any rumblings of increased scrutiny, but I doubt they'll ever be rightfully banned.

The fact that any financial regulator lets a SPAC publicly sell shares in an entity that has no actual operations is insane.

It's even dumber than that. Inside investors and bankers get access to the PIPE, which essentially lets them buy in at the price floor (usually $10). If you have shares in a SPAC, you can opt to take a payout instead of taking shares in their acquisition target. So PIPE investors are guaranteed to get their money back with free unlimited upside. Once a merger happens with a target, they also get the ability to exit their positions before commercial investors even see the new shares hit their accounts.

The new thing in the SPAC community has been short squeezing post-merger companies because of the low float. (Small number of shares in circulation + many investors are opting to take the $10 payout instead of shares in these poo poo companies, meaning even fewer shares available.)

Source: I am an idiot who made a lot of money on SPACs last year on the advice of goons and then gave some of it back this spring because... I am an idiot, as I say. I still have shares in one SPAC company which is down to $7 after I was briefly deluded by a short squeeze.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

there's too many SPACs to choose from. why can't i just give money to someone and trust them to pick the best SPAC?

Fund of Funds? Move over, it's time for SPAC of SPACs.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

SPACAC

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Palladium posted:

And here I am thinking paying anything near 4 figures for a gaming chair full of plastic and fake leather is stupid

I mean it is, if only because the Steelcase Gesture is $900ish and is utterly fantastic

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

truly incredible that tsla went up 13% cause a car rental company did a tweet

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
gonna change my thesis to financial math and tweak the black scholes to price nested SPAC derivative prices and win all the prizes and fully kill capitalism

edit: through our death

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Chad Sexington posted:

It's even dumber than that. Inside investors and bankers get access to the PIPE, which essentially lets them buy in at the price floor (usually $10). If you have shares in a SPAC, you can opt to take a payout instead of taking shares in their acquisition target. So PIPE investors are guaranteed to get their money back with free unlimited upside. Once a merger happens with a target, they also get the ability to exit their positions before commercial investors even see the new shares hit their accounts.

The new thing in the SPAC community has been short squeezing post-merger companies because of the low float. (Small number of shares in circulation + many investors are opting to take the $10 payout instead of shares in these poo poo companies, meaning even fewer shares available.)

Source: I am an idiot who made a lot of money on SPACs last year on the advice of goons and then gave some of it back this spring because... I am an idiot, as I say. I still have shares in one SPAC company which is down to $7 after I was briefly deluded by a short squeeze.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Wraith of J.O.I. has issued a correction as of 00:45 on Oct 26, 2021

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

I mean it is, if only because the Steelcase Gesture is $900ish and is utterly fantastic

You could cut that down to half or a third if you buy used, but personally I prefer herman miller.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

lol

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Chad Sexington posted:

just in awe at the stupidity of this land

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

absolutely loving shocked that the leader of the Chinese Communist Party is a Maoist. Completely unexpected

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
The SPACpocalypse already happened in March under the risk of stricter regulations after celebrity sponsorships started killing the golden goose.

This Trump sponsored SPAC is a hilarious anomaly that pretty much guarantees the death of the asset class

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

thing about the SPAC market is regardless of what happens now there are already like hundreds of these things already in flight, each with its money tied up for an average of two years. Like everything else in the world it’ll continue to get more blatantly corrupt and farcical while throwing off risk free profits for the financiers

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Gazpacho posted:

there's too many SPACs to choose from. why can't i just give money to someone and trust them to pick the best SPAC?

That's why we've got poo poo like Trump and Faze Clan-associated SPACS. You can sucker in a shitload of retail investor money with the right branding.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I hear The Crimson Permanent Assurance is on patrol.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

net work error posted:

How do I find an estate sale

Literally google: Estate sales My City

I got a 4,000 dollar leather home theater couch for 125$

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Shifty Pony posted:

just in awe at the stupidity of this land

Is it stupid? The financial system has realized that the old kayfabes don't need to be kept up anymore. SPACs and off-brand crypto are just the old penny stock pump and dump without the associated publicly-traded company. NFT's are the same thing the art world has always been doing now without the need to house a physical painting in a Swiss Freeport or whatever.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Anyone who didn't buy bargain basement office furniture spring-summer of 2020 really missed out on some good stuff IMO.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

From mtgox to nyse

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I was going through a bunch of stuff after I moved and realized i stole maybe 50 pens from my last job.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Nice and hot piss posted:

I was going through a bunch of stuff after I moved and realized i stole maybe 50 pens from my last job.

weaksauce poo poo, true heroes do it through POs

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Chad Sexington posted:

It's even dumber than that. Inside investors and bankers get access to the PIPE, which essentially lets them buy in at the price floor (usually $10). If you have shares in a SPAC, you can opt to take a payout instead of taking shares in their acquisition target

so SPACs are legal disproportional advantage investments? lol, lmao

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

nomad2020 posted:

Anyone who didn't buy bargain basement office furniture spring-summer of 2020 really missed out on some good stuff IMO.

buy? i just grabbed it for free outside of a university

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
every time anyone explains complicated financial industry stuff involving stock trading the only thing i can ever think is "wow what a stupid waste of time, why can you make money on this incredibly pointless thing?"

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBdxeeolWng

bizonacci is back

pro-click, please watch until end

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Stereotype posted:

every time anyone explains complicated financial industry stuff involving stock trading the only thing i can ever think is "wow what a stupid waste of time, why can you make money on this incredibly pointless thing?"

thats too many words to spell greed

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Hubbert posted:

bizonacci is back

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Palladium posted:

thats too many words to spell greed

20% of the american economy is greedy rich sociopaths scamming each other and everyone else with increasingly complicated numbers

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

tesla stock going up is good

it's part of S&P 500 so the harder it crashes the harder it'll bring down the whole index

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

tesla stock going up is good because it makes number go up.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Hubbert posted:

bizonacci is back

thanks unironically, i love damaging my brain

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

every day number doesn't reach all time highs, i reach all time cries

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Paladin posted:

Here at Rockwell Finance's, world headquarters, research has been proceeding to develop a line of cryptocurrency products that establishes new standards for quality, technological leadership, and operating excellence. With investor success as our primary focus, work has been proceeding on the crudely conceived idea of a financial instrument that would not only provide inverse reactive dividends, for use in unilateral quarterly deductions, but would also be capable of automatically synchronizing blockchain grammeters. Such a financial instrument comprised of Doge-based ratings, Reliance Electrum price monitors, Allen-Bradley tranche controls, and all monitored by Rockwell Software is Rockwell finance’s "Crypto-Encabulator".

Now, basically the only new principle involved is that instead of value being generated by the relative motion of market inputs, it’s produced by the modial interaction of bond yield-reluctance and capacitive diractance. The original financial instrument had a base commodity of prefabulated amulite, surmounted by a malleable logarithmic database dual-copy bookkeeping in such a way that the two spurving ratings were in a direct line with the panametric price-index.

The software consisted simply of six hydrocoptic marzelvanes, so tethered to the ambifacient lunar wanestock that price-fumbling was effectively prevented. The main pricing was of the normal lotus o-deltoid curve placed in panendermic semiboloid slots of the state assessor, with every seventh quarter being connected by a non-reversible tremie loan to the differential girdlespring on the ‘up’ yields of the dollar-grammeters. Moreover, whenever accountescence score motion is required, it may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle curve to reduce sinusoidal demonetization.

The Crypto-Encabulator has now reached a high level of development, and it’s being successfully used in the operation of milford portfolios. It’s available soon; wherever Rockwell Finance assets are sold.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

tesla stock going up is good

it's part of S&P 500 so the harder it crashes the harder it'll bring down the whole index

It's a good thing Twitter deletes videos of Teslas cooking off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Stereotype posted:

why do you hate innovation? smdh luddite