Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Garrand posted:

i mean, that was (presumably) the god of all gods. Also venti got his rear end kicked by signora

I wouldn't say getting sucker punched qualifies as an asskicking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Do we think Mihoyo even knows the answer? If it was me making this game I would definitely make poo poo up as I go along but I've never played Honkai so I don't know what their tendencies are like.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nyoro posted:

who the heck is eula

You agreed to one before you started playing the game

Radical posted:

i think this was one of the biggest years for new characters in honkai actually. each honkai character has a lot more mechanical work put into them but fewer art assets. genshin has a bit of an issue where an individual character only has so much going on in their kit, but the amount of art/animations/voice is overwhelming.

It'll never happen but giving characters a fighting move and a utility move would be cool. I guess the idea is you kinda have 8 abilities per team since you swap, but still.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

evil characters are cool but i want characters that the game actually acknowledges as evil instead of just saying "ok but you the player love them now for no reason, have some waifu/husbando dialog"

I think I just had this conversation with people in the thread, but people were arguing that there's more to go for her plot, and she just heard "vision hunt decree is going great" and took people's word for it or something.

I don't really agree with it and I'd be cool with having an option to do a mortal kombat finisher to gain 300 primos in exchange for no being able to roll childe or raiden or eula or whoever but to each their own.

As is I'm not a fan of how Raiden's story goes (I'm the one who wants the evil pretty anime boyfriend so childe gets a pass) and I kinda hope there's more of a conclusion to it with the inazuma epilogue or whatever. Even going for the cooler Raiden's approach and admitting she truly does not care about people dying would be fine, it's not like she needs to become a paragon of nobility or anything.

e: Like jokes aside the reason I don't mind Childe is the narrative presents him as a puckish rogue that will probably try to kill you again, the little scamp, but until that time comes you're cool.

Raiden it's weird because it more seems like it's trying to present her as just being a good guy now.

dogsicle posted:

they need to release more evil characters but this time with synergy so they can be on a team

Add an [evil] tag like FGO

Endorph posted:

What do you want the game to do, a five hour apology tour? Having characters do bad stuff and then everyone just moves on from it is cool imo

More options to give people poo poo in conversations, imo.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 26, 2021

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Redmark posted:

Do we think Mihoyo even knows the answer? If it was me making this game I would definitely make poo poo up as I go along but I've never played Honkai so I don't know what their tendencies are like.

They plan ahead, too much is the problem.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

I think I just had this conversation with people in the thread, but people were arguing that there's more to go for her plot, and she just heard "vision hunt decree is going great" and took people's word for it or something.

I didn't really expand my thoughts on that because I unno what even counts as spoilers but w/e I'll black it all out. Ei says she wasn't ignorant of the war and I don't think it makes sense to doubt that. It was just allowable under Raiden's programming and it was initiated by the rebels so Ei let it happen. Kaz's buddy wanted to challenge Raiden and she allowed it and he died. Like sucks for that guy but it's what he wanted. The Vision Hunt Decree wasn't killing anyone. Ei is meant to be mirrored in the traveler's first opinion. Like okay Ayaka doesn't like it... but she is literally a politician. The hunt wasn't a demand from on high, it was put forth by the Tenryu commission and is continued by them and the other house. Then we learn it is very much in line with Ei's character to not be sure enough to override her council and also trust the traveler because lol strong.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I find it hard to be annoyed by how evil Raiden was/is because the whole plot was so incoherent to begin with.

Change is inevitable. When Raiden suppressed change it started a civil war and people died. She can't blame the people for wanting change, but she does. She's the one standing in the way. I don't get the way they try to frame her as a pacifist that isn't hurting anyone. She implemented the vision hunt decree to push back against change. She did that and her vision hunt decree is a change. She dramatically changed Inazuma society and that goes against eternity or whatever

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

However I must admit I have fully 100% absolved Childe and did so possibly during the fight with him. It doesn't even register to me that he was threatening Liyue. Like we stopped him so he didn't hurt anyone qed not monster.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Sanctum posted:

I find it hard to be annoyed by how evil Raiden was/is because the whole plot was so incoherent to begin with.

Change is inevitable. When Raiden suppressed change it started a civil war and people died. She can't blame the people for wanting change, but she does. She's the one standing in the way. I don't get the way they try to frame her as a pacifist that isn't hurting anyone. She implemented the vision hunt decree to push back against change. She did that and her vision hunt decree is a change. She dramatically changed Inazuma society and that goes against eternity or whatever

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

the fatui and tenryu boss implemented the vision hunt decree and ei sat around thinking about it. thoughts like 'huh' and 'i like swords'.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Clearly Raiden Shogun is the real archon and Ei doesn't matter. Let's just ignore Ei. She's stupid and can stay in her forever-place where she surrenders all agency to the real archon doing the bad things she does or doesn't want to happen.

Also Ei is a sword or something idk

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Radical posted:

its fantastic, isn't it? i hope they can one day gently caress genshin up with a similar degree of nonsense.

That reminds me, I know Honkai was the third game in that series but how incomprehensible is it without the first two untranslated ones that I don't think even exist anymore?

I quit playing it long ago but I really am kinda curious with how Homestuck it gets what the plot actually was.

It's sad that all of this will become lost media, like every other mobile game more or less.

Sanctum posted:

Clearly Raiden Shogun is the real archon and Ei doesn't matter. Let's just ignore Ei. She's stupid and can stay in her forever-place where she surrenders all agency to the real archon doing the bad things she does or doesn't want to happen.

Also Ei is a sword or something idk

Raidenbot E-5000 is ok in my book, she's all about the prime directive and otherwise doesn't give a drat

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 26, 2021

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

kater posted:

the fatui and tenryu boss implemented the vision hunt decree and ei sat around thinking about it. thoughts like 'huh' and 'i like swords'.

I mean, you've gotta read into her character a bit with how she's terrible at karuta and really awkward but strong, and how her sister was the weak but smart one, to realize that Ei's actually kind of bad at governing. In the Archon war, she was the muscle, and won her sister the right to become the Electro Archon (her sister was probably strong too, but not nearly as into bloodshed as Ei). Makoto lead the country and made it prosper, while Ei originated the Inazuman arts of the polearm and sword, then perfected her swordsmanship into the Musou no Hitotachi.

She followed her sister's lead, and slew Orobashi when he threatened Narukami Island. She was always leading the army when necessary, but never making the executive decisions. This had been going on for 1500 years, AT LEAST. Then Makoto and nearly all of their retainers die, and suddenly she's the head honcho and has a whole nation to manage and nobody except Yae to help her. So she makes a robot and runs away into her pocket dimension to hide, at least, that's what Yae was ribbing her for. She really was attempting to protect Inazuma in her own, flawed, one-dimensional way. She really doesn't know how to run Inazuma, or what the people REALLY desire.

So when the Fatui propose the vision hunt decree, she doesn't immediately smack it down, because to her, it "doesn't interfere with Eternity". When the people rise up, she only hears that the decree is going well (she's almost certainly lying when she says she's completely aware of what is happening on the outside). I mean, she immediately qualifies her statement, with that she only knows anything "that relates to Eternity". We see just how out of touch she actually IS with the outside when we take her on the date through the town, so its unlikely she knew the full impacts of the Vision Hunt Decree, and most likely we'll get a continuation on her story with pressure being placed on her to abolish the Sakoku Decree.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
Raiden talk: Raiden doesn't get comeuppance because she's the beloved ruler of Inazuma whose subjects, by and large, take pride in having her as their leader/mascot and trust in her vision for the country's well-being. Nobody actually wants to tear her down from her perch or make her pay for making the mistake of supporting the Vision Hunt Decree, except for some of the players and Watatsumi residents. Most of the Inazumans with skin in the game just wanted her to listen to their input on it being a bad idea, which she did in the end, so they got what they wanted.

Like, if it were up to me, Zhongli would have received at least a liiiiiittle bit of flak for testing the residents of Liyue the way he did and making decisions for everyone, but as with Raiden, his subjects still like him so it's not an issue. He's a god and it's clear by this point that That's What They Do. It only becomes an issue when their subjects lose faith in their method of rulership and turn against them, like with Havria and Decarabian. Nobody else has much of a right to say anything.

Hazdoc posted:

I mean, you've gotta read into her character a bit with how she's terrible at karuta and really awkward but strong, and how her sister was the weak but smart one, to realize that Ei's actually kind of bad at governing. In the Archon war, she was the muscle, and won her sister the right to become the Electro Archon (her sister was probably strong too, but not nearly as into bloodshed as Ei). Makoto lead the country and made it prosper, while Ei originated the Inazuman arts of the polearm and sword, then perfected her swordsmanship into the Musou no Hitotachi.
We see just how out of touch she actually IS with the outside when we take her on the date through the town, so its unlikely she knew the full impacts of the Vision Hunt Decree, and most likely we'll get a continuation on her story with pressure being placed on her to abolish the Sakoku Decree.

My read on the Raiden story quest is that Ei got a better sense of the Eternity her sister upheld when she did all those musings on the country itself as an unchanging Eternal backdrop that the people shared and felt reassured by. Her take on Eternity sucks because she's not an especially thoughtful ruler, she never really understood the good points of Makoto's Eternity, and she based her own ruling principle entirely on the fear of loss rather than on anything positive. Most of what Ei's done as the Electro Archon has probably been to preserve what Makoto had already put in place.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

kater posted:

However I must admit I have fully 100% absolved Childe and did so possibly during the fight with him. It doesn't even register to me that he was threatening Liyue. Like we stopped him so he didn't hurt anyone qed not monster.

In fact it destroyed a billionaire’s floating doom palace so it was praxis.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

That reminds me, I know Honkai was the third game in that series but how incomprehensible is it without the first two untranslated ones that I don't think even exist anymore?

I quit playing it long ago but I really am kinda curious with how Homestuck it gets what the plot actually was.

It's sad that all of this will become lost media, like every other mobile game more or less.

honkai gakuen was basically a tech demo, it didn't have a story. honkai gakuen 2 was an alternate universe from honkai impact and did indeed get translated and is still running till this day in some languages (ive only played the jp version, but i think there was a SEA and global english version as well.) honkai impact has always been referencing honkai gakuen though, even more recent battlesuits like herrscher of thunder mei were originally from gakuen afaik.

impact has had story events that didnt get added back to the main game after though, so a lot of that stuff ends up getting lost.

i wonder if honkai impact 4 isn't just another AU reboot like 3 was for 2, especially since they're making star rail as a sequel to PHO.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/AeEntropy/status/1452872044991877122?t=q3wQsACPwYdUk9LTVbRbZg&s=19

wow, jealous...

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
so uhh, whatever happened to that switch port

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Hahaha it comes with a cooling fan. You get ingame gifts, but not Sucrose herself?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I have so far fought two (2) ruin graders and both have reset themselves at near-dead by charging out of their own boundaries

so I've basically fought four ruin graders

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Hazdoc posted:

the uncles at nintendo haven't told me poo poo 😔

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hazdoc posted:

Pick any one you like:

:rimshot:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hazdoc posted:

Considering how complete loving garbage both PS versions are I have to assume it got quietly shitcanned

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Considering how complete loving garbage both PS versions are I have to assume it got quietly shitcanned

The PS5 version is totally fine, but they would have to compromise a lot to have it run on the Switch since it runs like rear end on the PS4.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Stare-Out posted:

The PS5 version is totally fine, but they would have to compromise a lot to have it run on the Switch since it runs like rear end on the PS4.

Oh right they did patch it, when it launched it never hit 60fps lol

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh right they did patch it, when it launched it never hit 60fps lol

Yeah it was basically the PS4 Pro version running on PS5 which itself had a lot of problems. Now it's a smooth 60fps with like two second loading times, if that. No neat Dualsense stuff though for some reason.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Acerbatus posted:

Raidenbot E-5000 is ok in my book, she's all about the prime directive and otherwise doesn't give a drat

I am almost entirely current on Honkai Impact 3rd, only missing limited time events, some of one of the open worlds that seems to just be a retelling of a story chapter, and the last bit of things in the roguelite mode because I am not good enough to clear the hardest difficulty even with SSS-Rank Fischl and all of her intended gear. I have never played the previous games, or read any supplementary media besides some loreposts in this thread.

I have only a small handful of questions where the answer doesn't seem to be "we'll tell you later" or "it doesn't actually matter." Also, a not insignificant amount of my "it doesn't actually matter" questions are variations of "how the gently caress do you know this?" So you should be fine.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Childe and his associates will pay for their crimes in 2029 when we get our first Visionless playable character.

That's right, Frank Castle will be the 3rd crossover character and he's ready to clean this world up just like he did in the old one.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RareAcumen posted:

Childe and his associates will pay for their crimes in 2029 when we get our first Visionless playable character.(...)

You mean Traveler, errrr, Venti, errr, Zhong Li, errrrr, Raiden? ;)

EDIT: Forgot possibly Aloy as well! Oh my!

Sanya Juutilainen fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 26, 2021

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

You mean Traveler, errrr, Venti, errr, Zhong Li, errrrr, Raiden? ;)

I meant like, magic less. Even Aloy has an element to her attacks.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
waiting warmly for the khaenrian magitek archon who has a giant mecha instead of an element

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RareAcumen posted:

I meant like, magic less. Even Aloy has an element to her attacks.

Pure physical would be interesting. Tbh Eula comes pretty close, as her cryo attacks could as well be physical, the extra value in crowd control is rather minor as she breaks the enemies free right away anyway.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

She has one hanging off her belt

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kirbysuperstar posted:

She has one hanging off her belt

So do the archons, but they don't work, counterfeit visions are a thing. And for Aloy, I think this fragment of Traveler's vision story applies:

Genshin wiki posted:

You, for your part, can never receive a Vision, for an alien lifeform does not belong...

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

So do the archons, but they don't work, counterfeit visions are a thing. And for Aloy, I think this fragment of Traveler's vision story applies:

Did they ever even explain WTF Aloy is doing here presumably letting her own planet go completely to poo poo or is it just 'hey here is another set of character frame fighter data to load into one of the Traveler's four bio-cognitive memory slots'?

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Araganzar posted:

Did they ever even explain WTF Aloy is doing here presumably letting her own planet go completely to poo poo or is it just 'hey here is another set of character frame fighter data to load into one of the Traveler's four bio-cognitive memory slots'?

They never explained anything, which I think is kinda good, because headcanon works best for this kind of stuff. If you try to explain too deeply, you run into new and new issues.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

aloy just got isekai'd its not like she chose to show up. the aloy journal event is just like 'drat where the hell am i. well time to hunt.'

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Endorph posted:

aloy just got isekai'd its not like she chose to show up. the aloy journal event is just like 'drat where the hell am i. well time to hunt.'

Thanks for the reminder, I forgot I hadn't done the last day of her web event. Claimed it with like an hour to spare!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i am blessing those 20 primos to be 1/8th of a rateup 5*

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Endorph posted:

i am blessing those 20 primos to be 1/8th of a rateup 5*

Seeing as I am saving my guaranteed rate up for Itto, that might actually happen!

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

full set!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Araganzar posted:

Her story 6 basically says she was exploring ruins after beating the final boss of HZD and saving the world and she found a glowing isekai portal