Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Trapezium Dave posted:

Pope:

Left to right: Sussan Ley (environment minister), Barnaby Joyce (deputy PM, Nationals leader), Scott Morrison (PM), Angus Taylor (energy, emissions reductions minister), Tony Abbott.

How dare he. The Proclaimers are from Leith :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Ted Rall posted:

Senator Joe Manchin of West Virginia is one of two right-wing Democrats who hold liberal priorities hostage. The Democratic Party likes to blame him for their inability to get major accomplishments done, but he also serves a useful purpose as an excuse for inaction.

But it's literally his (and Sinema's) fault that they can't act? If it were just an excuse, that means that there's something else they could be doing. What, exactly, could the Democratic party be doing to achieve their legislative agenda that they aren't already doing?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

RoboRodent posted:

okay but

:psyduck:

That is an extremely sexy stormtrooper. In black and white, it's hard to tell if there's a bare midriff in there, but I wouldn't be surprised. In this imaginary matriarchy, women have all the power but still exist primarily as sexual objects. It's just illegal to treat them as sexual objects, and this is bad for some reason. In addition, signs that borrow on sleazy "girls girls girls" and "live sex show" tropes are replaced with "all-night spa" and "pampering," because women don't actually like sex. They are for sex, but they don't want it (and thus it is implied that you must make a woman have sex with you). Ishida can't conceive of women being powerful in ways that are not related to their sexuality, and he can't create a world where men are sexual objects for the pleasure of women. His horrifying matriarchy is "women exist for me to have sex with but I'm not allowed to have sex with them."

And yeah, I can't tell how serious he was being here either.

Pretty sure those are from back when he was still a dudebro sexist.

Angepain posted:

with the topic going into us overthinking ishida's view on women's clothes, i'd like to join in by posting this stip i found yesterday, when i went too deep into looking up sinfest on tv tropes to find when the feminism arc begun. this is, as far as I can tell, the first appearance of the girl on the tricycle:

we are, (again, as far as I can tell from the later few strips), supposed to agree with her that this is a reasonable thing to shout at random people on the street who are dressed in a way.

Also fun is what the advert on the website was when I looked that comic up. Not sure Ishida has much of a say in which adverts get run (NSFW).

lol this all just reminds one that he has always sucked

lovely dudebro

lovely male feminist

lovely TERF

And now some kind of... lovely Ted Rall?

Grape fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 25, 2021

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Kaza42 posted:

But it's literally his (and Sinema's) fault that they can't act? If it were just an excuse, that means that there's something else they could be doing. What, exactly, could the Democratic party be doing to achieve their legislative agenda that they aren't already doing?

They could be doing exactly what Sinema and Manchin want, which is major infrastructure done as half-assed as possible while doing absolutely nothing at all to curb the fossil fuel industry and not raising taxes on corporations or the wealthy to pay for any of it.

And the worst part of their whole "3.5 trillion is too much!" excuse is that if we put the military budget for the same time period which will likely pass without argument into the same terms it would be 7 trillion dollars!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kaza42 posted:

Rall's argument is that if Manchin and Sinema didn't do this the DMC would find another volunteer to stop broadly popular things that their donors don't want done.

edit: personally I don't think the Dems are organized enough to actually run controlled opposition like that, but it's fairly clear the viewpoint Rall is coming from.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 25, 2021

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

I don't know how it's possible to read that recent series of Sinfest strips as anything but anvil dropping obvious parody, and yet I'm certain he's somehow either trying to make this look like the plucky, unlikely heroes that will fight the good fight, or the plucky, unlikely heroes that want to fight the good fight, but are distracted and ineffective because blah blah blah blah woke blah zombies blah TERF bullshit look at the sad state of men in this, my absurdist persecution complex fever dream in which my enemies chant woke and cause car accidents with sparkly confetti joy.

Like that first one, divorced from all context, would be genuinely funny, just not for any of the reasons he intends.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

kartikeya posted:

I don't know how it's possible to read that recent series of Sinfest strips as anything but anvil dropping obvious parody, and yet I'm certain he's somehow either trying to make this look like the plucky, unlikely heroes that will fight the good fight, or the plucky, unlikely heroes that want to fight the good fight, but are distracted and ineffective because blah blah blah blah woke blah zombies blah TERF bullshit look at the sad state of men in this, my absurdist persecution complex fever dream in which my enemies chant woke and cause car accidents with sparkly confetti joy.

Like that first one, divorced from all context, would be genuinely funny, just not for any of the reasons he intends.

He's not very good at this.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I will never get tired of Pope's Tony Abbot.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Angepain posted:

we are, (again, as far as I can tell from the later few strips), supposed to agree with her that this is a reasonable thing to shout at random people on the street who are dressed in a way.
Are you sure we're supposed to agree with the girl on the trike?

I mean she's written kind of absurd, shouting an unwanted message at some girl and then congratulating herself on her feminist accomplishments?

But I honestly can't tell, take this week's new strips: the characters seem to be expressing Ishida's opinions that vaccine mandates etc have taken away all our rights, yet the characters are comically ineffectual, clearly outmatched and not even realizing it, and basically manchildren who are being humored by the lady packing a lunch for them.

So maybe he just purposely writes his heroes as dumb and worthless as gently caress? I guess you have to if you want to portray them taking on all the evils of the world, because they can't be allowed to win or you won't be able to comment on or struggle against the evils of the world anymore

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Also, democrats had four years to revitalize the party with new, competent blood and instead largely kept on the same dinosaurs and our reward was the slimmest of Senate margins. Considering how hard Trump ate poo poo in 2020 it’s sad we couldn’t get at least two more democrats in the Senate so we weren’t held hostage by an aging ghoul and an animate Girl Boss placard.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Indiana_Krom posted:

They could be doing exactly what Sinema and Manchin want, which is major infrastructure done as half-assed as possible while doing absolutely nothing at all to curb the fossil fuel industry and not raising taxes on corporations or the wealthy to pay for any of it.

And then Rall could complain about that too!

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Oops I look away for a couple days and now there are three Horseys. Gonna timg these since Horsey toons are quite large and have text blocks.

quote:

If compliance is the measure, then the vaccination mandates imposed on state and city workers have been a success. More than 90% of people employed by Washington state government or by the city of Seattle are fully vaccinated against the coronavirus with many more in the process of complying with that requirement.

Still, 1,887 state workers, from a janitor in the Capitol building to the Washington State University football coach, quit or were fired because they refused to comply with the mandate. That willingness to give up a good job rather than get a life-protecting shot in the arm is mystifying and fascinating.

How many of those now-unemployed people were influenced by the anti-vaccine political machinations of various Republican leaders and the paranoid rantings of conservative TV commentators? How many were scared into non-compliance by the misleading pseudoscience spouted by activists with deep suspicions of Big Pharma? How many were staunch libertarians who simply do not want any government telling them what to do, even if it is good for them and for their communities?

Delusional? Principled? Stubborn? Independent? Brave? A danger to themselves and others? What characterization best fits these folks? One description is clearly accurate: a small minority.

The overwhelming majority of state and municipal workers did the right thing; they got vaccinated. A big share of them did it because it was the rational thing to do. They did not want to fall ill or cause others to suffer. However, plenty of the compliant ones did it grudgingly and only because they did not want to lose their jobs.

That is why a mandate was needed, even if it drove a few resistors into the unemployment line.

quote:

Political pundits are excoriating President Joe Biden and Congressional Democrats for failing to push through their $3.5 trillion plan to combat climate change, provide child care, pay for community college, permanently lift millions of children out of poverty, make very wealthy people pay their fair share of taxes and address other social ills that have long been allowed to fester.

Activists on the left say it will be a betrayal if Democrats fail to deliver. Washington journalists flap on about the Democrats’ disarray. Voters who cast their ballots for Biden grow disillusioned.

But hold on a minute. Here’s a question for all those who are so quick to declare Biden and his compatriots a bunch of failures: Democrats do not have a majority in the United States Senate, so what did you expect?

Yes, with the Senate split 50-50, the tie-breaking vote of Vice President Kamala Harris has given Democrats technical control of the upper chamber of Congress, but, because of the filibuster, it takes 60 votes to get anything done, and the 50 Republican senators, in almost all situations that count, refuse to give up a single vote, let alone 10.

Add to that the hard reality that two of the Democrats’ 50 caucus members – Arizona Sen. Kyrsten Sinema and West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin – are balking at most of the big stuff the president wants to get done, and that Democratic “majority” becomes even more illusory.

In the House of Representatives, the progressive caucus led by Seattle’s U.S. Rep. Pramila Jayapal has exerted a lot of muscle to defend the Biden plan. But, from the way Jayapal has been speaking in recent days about the need to seriously lower expectations, it is clear reality is dawning for her, as well.

A majority of American citizens support all or most of the things Biden wants to achieve. An overwhelming majority of Democrats in Congress want to make it happen. But, because every state gets two senators – even in places where there might be more cows than people – Senate power is sharply skewed to red states. The Republicans have that built-in advantage, and the filibuster gives them veto power.

If Biden gets even half of what he wants, it will not be a failure, it will be a miracle.

quote:

There is a huge herd of RINOS among the endangered elephants these days, but they are not the “Republicans In Name Only” that the right wingers think they are.

They are not, for instance, U.S. Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler from southwest Washington or Wyoming’s U.S. Rep. Liz Cheney, two of only nine members of the House GOP caucus to vote with Democrats to hold Donald Trump ally Steve Bannon in contempt of Congress for flouting a subpoena to testify about the Jan. 6 insurrection at the Capitol. With their votes, Beutler, Cheney and their compatriots upheld the highest principles of the traditional Republican Party – respect for the rule of law, allegiance to the Constitution, ethical leadership. They are the last of a Republican breed.

It is the power-drunk cynics like Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy and the moral cowards who do his bidding in obsequious deference to Trump who have betrayed the party of Abraham Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt, Dwight Eisenhower and Ronald Reagan. They are, indeed, Republicans in name only.

Beutler and Cheney will be targeted in the 2022 election by Trump and the reactionary extremists who have taken control of the GOP, including here in this state. Ironically, the targeted ones are the real conservatives and true patriots and, for the sake of their party and our country, these brave few need to grow in numbers, not be snuffed out.

"and Ronald Reagan," Horsey please.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

VitalSigns posted:

I mean she's written kind of absurd, shouting an unwanted message at some girl and then congratulating herself on her feminist accomplishments?

at the time that strip was drawn she was still a strawman. Ishida would later go "feminist" and she morphed into...the good guy sorta?

like, even if you've been reading sinfest from the start the storytelling is wonky, and actually understanding who the good people are supposed to be in any given strip mostly comes down to "what were ishida's politics when he drew it"

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Are you actually loving kidding me

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

VitalSigns posted:

But I honestly can't tell, take this week's new strips: the characters seem to be expressing Ishida's opinions that vaccine mandates etc have taken away all our rights, yet the characters are comically ineffectual, clearly outmatched and not even realizing it, and basically manchildren who are being humored by the lady packing a lunch for them.

So maybe he just purposely writes his heroes as dumb and worthless as gently caress? I guess you have to if you want to portray them taking on all the evils of the world, because they can't be allowed to win or you won't be able to comment on or struggle against the evils of the world anymore

At that point in the comic, Trike Girl was obviously supposed to be a strawperson of the "Lol, feminazis demanding it be spelled womyn" variety.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Nick Anderson

Robert Ariail

Steve Benson

Tim Campbell

Stuart Carlson

Jeff Danziger

Matt Davies

Bob Gorrell

Joe Heller

Clay Jones

Jack Ohman

Michael Ramirez

Scott Stantis

Tony Branco

quote:

Nurse Ratchet
Misinformation Secretary Jen Psaki is the head nurse Ratchet at the Cuckoo’s Nest on Penn. Ave.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

drat, this might be the least hateful and grotesque caricature Branco has ever done.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Raised By Birds posted:

Michael Ramirez

Is there something we can utilize to protect parents from social media?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Raised By Birds posted:

Michael Ramirez

So we should allow parents more time off, give them paid leave to spend with their kids, raise wages so they can afford to work less and monitor things more, right?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

RoboRodent posted:

okay but

That is an extremely sexy stormtrooper. In black and white, it's hard to tell if there's a bare midriff in there, but I wouldn't be surprised. In this imaginary matriarchy, women have all the power but still exist primarily as sexual objects. It's just illegal to treat them as sexual objects, and this is bad for some reason. In addition, signs that borrow on sleazy "girls girls girls" and "live sex show" tropes are replaced with "all-night spa" and "pampering," because women don't actually like sex. They are for sex, but they don't want it (and thus it is implied that you must make a woman have sex with you). Ishida can't conceive of women being powerful in ways that are not related to their sexuality, and he can't create a world where men are sexual objects for the pleasure of women. His horrifying matriarchy is "women exist for me to have sex with but I'm not allowed to have sex with them."

And yeah, I can't tell how serious he was being here either.

It’s a fetish.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
I don't disagree with the message, but the trail was literally made with the spray tool in mspaint and it's not cum. Do the dutiful please.

the_steve posted:

drat, this might be the least hateful and grotesque caricature Branco has ever done.
I think we may have found Branco's version of Garrison's AOC.
Edit: I don't actually think Ramirez is completely wrong for once in his life. He's just grossly oversimplifying matters.

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 26, 2021

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Kellies nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry in a Cartoon

No idea if anyone's done this yes. I'm dragging my feet on catching up because this place is pain. Constant pain.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 26, 2021

NDP
Jun 25, 2021

Kaza42 posted:

Perhaps getting rid of the filibuster is a start. However, the Democrats' margin is so narrow in the Senate, I don't know if that would make much of a difference.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
I've just realized: Ishida's descent into fascism is said to have begun because his girlfriend dumped him. This is exactly the same reason why Dave Sim became a horrible misogynist. The only difference between the two is that Dave Sim didn't do it during a time when A. fascism is mainstream in the U.S. and B. there are a handful of huge websites that everyone uses and which constantly direct people toward more of the kind of thing they're looking at.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 26, 2021

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Raised By Birds posted:

Michael Ramirez

The only thing parents can control is how much their own kid goes on social media. What they can’t control is a clip of their kid doing something dumb getting passed around between all their classmates in five seconds and then being made fun of by everyone in school. I really don’t envy kids growing up in the social media age

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

the_steve posted:

Seriously, I think he might have a crush.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

RoboRodent posted:

okay but

That is an extremely sexy stormtrooper. In black and white, it's hard to tell if there's a bare midriff in there, but I wouldn't be surprised.
"midriff" lfmao

here's what it would look like colorized (in part because like hell i'm gonna do more work about it):

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I can vaguely remember the fanbase being really confused when the Trike girls first started showing up in the Sinfest comics. A lot of people basically went from "Well, that's kind of hamfisted even for his standards..." to "...oh, we're meant to root for these girls now?"

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

NDP posted:

Perhaps getting rid of the filibuster is a start. However, the Democrats' margin is so narrow in the Senate, I don't know if that would make much of a difference.

That would help, if only they had 50 votes to do so. Unfortunately, the same people holding up this legislation also are not in favor of removing the filibuster. I don't see how they would convince them to vote to remove the filibuster if they can't get them to support their big legislative agendas.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Lowest hanging fruit for me, please

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

drat that's a throwback

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

FFT posted:

"midriff" lfmao

here's what it would look like colorized (in part because like hell i'm gonna do more work about it):

Ah, thank you.

I think my brain was attempting to protect me from the full horror.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Rishi Sunak’s prematurely briefed budget – Past chancellors would have resigned for revealing details of the budget before the official statement, the Commons Speaker has told MPs, expressing fury at the briefing of a slew of measures to be announced on Wednesday"

Telegraph:

"London’s Ulez expansion: the thin end of the wedge for UK road pricing?"

Independent:

Times:

Sewage vote outcry prompts Tory MPs to defend decision on social media :itwaspoo:

Evening Standard:

UK ‘national living wage’ to rise to £9.50 an hour from next April

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Does England just smell like poo poo all the time? Is it an island of TERFs and poo?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

This septic isle.
:barf:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Skios posted:

I can vaguely remember the fanbase being really confused when the Trike girls first started showing up in the Sinfest comics. A lot of people basically went from "Well, that's kind of hamfisted even for his standards..." to "...oh, we're meant to root for these girls now?"

I thought the trike girls were initially meant to represent those danged feminazis!!! but when he had his supposed pivot towards feminism, he started using them as an actual viewpoint instead.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

The government has released its 2050 plan: Net zero by 2050 plan 'uniquely Australian': Morrison (The Age).
I watched Scott Morrison and Angus Taylor's press announcement and Pope's cartoon exactly captures the vibe (although he left out Morrison saying the word "plan" fifty billion times).

Rowe:

Knight:

Billionaire Crown Resorts owner and former chairman James Packer. Crown Melbourne to keep casino licence for now despite 'disgraceful' conduct (ABC)

Wilcox:

Spooner:

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Is Spooner incredibly stupid or incredibly dishonest? That has to the dumbest cartoon conceptually that I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Vagabong posted:

Is Spooner incredibly stupid or incredibly dishonest? That has to the dumbest cartoon conceptually that I've ever seen.

Nonsense, it is a thing of beaut and belongs in a museum. Maybe by 2050 art critics have figured out it's mysteries!

Secretly I hope that this would be the pro-CO lobby's new mantra, "but think of the flora!"