Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PIZZA.BAT)

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I love rally hatchbacks they're like bumblebees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

rally is the only cool form of racing a car (all motorcycle racing is cool)

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

lmfao the BMW that had to 3-point-turn the hairpin

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Video Nasty posted:

came to post that I'm the BMW 3 pointer

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Video Nasty posted:

it's rally as long as you don't die and cross the finish line it's good

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

You are history's greatest monster

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the cute four dance

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

holy poo poo

i'm supposed to pronounce qt "cute"?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

according to those dorks, yes.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/weloveyouzahir/status/1453155614545399809

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

mystes
May 31, 2006

I hate when I spill the hydrofluoric acid I'm drinking.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOlUU8l8j5M

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is this like the Russian equivalent of Gangnam Style?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

Is this like the Russian equivalent of Gangnam Style?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDFBTdToRmw

mystes
May 31, 2006

I stand corrected

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mystes posted:

interestingly, plain old acetone would probably have a similar effect on those sorts of plastics, and you can apparently drink quite a lot of acetone without killing yourself and it even gets you drunk. maybe he was just drinking acetone.

drinking acetone will give you sonic diarrhea, but you can't win 'em all

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

mystes posted:

I stand corrected

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4IgNPmaKkw

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiFBgtgUtfw

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

interestingly, plain old acetone would probably have a similar effect on those sorts of plastics, and you can apparently drink quite a lot of acetone without killing yourself and it even gets you drunk. maybe he was just drinking acetone.

drinking acetone will give you sonic diarrhea, but you can't win 'em all

i had a really good laugh when i was trying to get some epoxy off the end of a ham radio antenna and had a bright idea to let the end soak in a whole bottle of acetone

that i put

into

a solo cup.

You know that old cartoon bit where a skeleton drinks a beer? Yeah it was like that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i did that with hydrogen peroxide once. fortunately it was only 3% cause hahah whoo that could have gone real differently

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I have a huge stock pot with a glass lid and a one ring electric hob / heater that I used to use outside on the back patio for acetone smoothing 3D prints, and one evening I'd done a print and wanted to finish it up but it was pissing down rain and the electric hob was stored in the garage, I thought well maybe I can just do it on the gas cooker hob ? And luckily I stopped and thought about acetone vapor overflowing out of the pot and down to meet the gas flame and decided it could wait til tomorrow.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh god. you ghost woulda had to namechange to NoMoreNegative.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

a student once came to my office a few days after we had printed some of his parts, and proudly showed me the acetone smoothing he had done at home. i asked him about his setup and yep, metal cooking pot on a gas stove.

s'cool

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

when i was in grad school a ta for an organic chem lab was walking around observing and saw someone heating diethylether with an electric hotplate. he rushed to grab the round bottom flask off and in his haste didn't stop and think hmm this could be hot. grabbed it, hot, dropped it on the floor, instant fire. it burns v fast and a fairly low heat tho so it didn't do any real damage but they evacuated the building and that lab was closed for a week while they aired it out

also when i was an undergrad i put my elbow in a drop of ~50% peroxide without realizing it. later in the day i went to scratch my elbow and it felt scaley. looked at it and it there was a spot ~1 cm in diameter that was solid white and i realized immediately what had happened.

edit: hf wouldn't actually do anything to that stuff since it's not a very aggressive acid (it's even a weak acid), unless like, you have bones. that spill was prob sulfuric acid. it tends to leave a charred mess behind similar to that. also it really really sucks when someone spills some and doesn't fully clean it up. it has a really low vapor pressure so it doesn't easy evaporate like say hcl. you can p much always spot someone that works in a chem lab that uses it a lot because they're have holes in their shirts at benchtop level.

worst acid is chlorosulfonic acid, a mixture of concentrated hydrochloric and sulfuric acid. it fumes, doesn't fully evaporate, reacts violently with water, and to dilute it you use glacial acetic acid. we used to use it to sulfonate glass

oh i just remembered that in another lab someone spilled ~3 liters of sulfuric acid on their book bag. it was somewhat dilute at least but there's no coming back from that really.

Woolwich Bagnet fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 28, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ochem is terrifying poo poo

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

ochem is terrifying poo poo

we had this bad boy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethylmercury in one of our chemical fridges. i wouldn't even go near that fridge because of it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i liked ochem so much I took the 2nd advance lab for fun

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

a lab i worked in had a big bottle of HF in a wooden box in the corner that no one had touched for like 10 years. the plan for dealing with it was to give it to whoever got the lab space next

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

we had this bad boy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethylmercury in one of our chemical fridges. i wouldn't even go near that fridge because of it

what the unholy gently caress would anyone have DMM just hanging around for aaaaaa

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

i always liked how dimethylmercury has essentially no use except as a reference point for how poisonous a chemical can be.

there's another one, one of the fulminates i think, that also has no use except to define the scale for how sensitive an explosive can be. it can be set off shining a flashlight on it

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

i was doing chemical inventorying because my uni was upgrading to barcoded and actually tracked chemicals. found a bottle with ~750 g of picric acid in it. from 1978. picric acid is a shock and friction sensitive explosive with ~1.2x the power of tnt.

my advisor wanted me to open it and store some in water, which renders it inert. this container probably hadn't been opened in decades and had clearly dried out. i called for a bomb squad to dispose of it and they evacuated the building/surroundings while it was being removed.

we were actually talking today at work about how insanely unsafe the things we did in grad school labs were.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

what the unholy gently caress would anyone have DMM just hanging around for aaaaaa

a year or two earlier a postdoc had been working on detection methods for it. i would have never accepted a project like that

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

a year or two earlier a postdoc had been working on detection methods for it. i would have never accepted a project like that

Gateways to the Beyond

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

my brother has a degree in ochem and frankly it all sounds insane

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

i was doing chemical inventorying because my uni was upgrading to barcoded and actually tracked chemicals. found a bottle with ~750 g of picric acid in it. from 1978. picric acid is a shock and friction sensitive explosive with ~1.2x the power of tnt.

my advisor wanted me to open it and store some in water, which renders it inert. this container probably hadn't been opened in decades and had clearly dried out. i called for a bomb squad to dispose of it and they evacuated the building/surroundings while it was being removed.

we were actually talking today at work about how insanely unsafe the things we did in grad school labs were.

i imagine that crunching some crystals as you unscrewed the lid would be enough to set it off, yes?

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

according to wikipedia it was first synthesized in 1857 and i was astounded to learn that the guy who did it lived until 1905

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 28, 2021

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i imagine that crunching some crystals as you unscrewed the lid would be enough to set it off, yes?

according to wikipedia it was first synthesized in 1857 and i was astounded to learn that the guy who did it lived until 1905

yes. and taken out a good sized chunk of the building, if not leveled it. chemists tend to have lived a long time, especially long ago, because the only way to be one was to be rich/from a rich family.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i just meant that if karen wetterhahn died from one drop on her glove, the guy going "hahaha look what i got from reacting mercury and cyanide" in an era when analytical chemistry was tasting whatever you made should not have lived another fifty years

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sagebrush posted:

i just meant that if karen wetterhahn died from one drop on her glove, the guy going "hahaha look what i got from reacting mercury and cyanide" in an era when analytical chemistry was tasting whatever you made should not have lived another fifty years

ive met lots of chemists that still taste things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

it used to be an nmr calibration standard but lol at not disposing of it instantly after the mid 90s.