Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Well, they do look better than

No they do not do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

"ooooh american houses are so cheugy! I would hate it, surely!" -England person doing everything in their power to expatriate themselves to Florida, which they believe to be the nicest state in the USA.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Yaldabaoth posted:

Seriously they look more like a goddamn factory than a house to live in.

Their houses have two separate doors. The red door is for hot, and the blue one's for cold.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

in england, fanny means pussy

Not knowing that made this scene confusing as hell to a Brit.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Admiralty Flag posted:

Is it true that all English bathrooms have light switches outside the bathroom? Every one I've ever been in it's on the outside. Is it because of fear of electrocution?

If you have one inside it’s usually a pull cord rather than a switch. I appreciate the massive and soul destroying effort it takes the average American to remember such a complicated system, but it’s pretty easy to sheet your bathroom floor in copper and run some live current into the bathroom if your sense of freedom is threatened by not having the possibility of random electrocution when you’re in the bathroom.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Torquemada posted:

If you have one inside it’s usually a pull cord rather than a switch. I appreciate the massive and soul destroying effort it takes the average American to remember such a complicated system, but it’s pretty easy to sheet your bathroom floor in copper and run some live current into the bathroom if your sense of freedom is threatened by not having the possibility of random electrocution when you’re in the bathroom.

I flip a plastic switch that turns the lights on and off.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Big Beef City posted:

I flip a plastic switch that turns the lights on and off.
This is a luxury of wiring houses a normal way. Putting a switch in the bathroom with ring mains really is equivalent to a live copper floor.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
It's more hygienic. The top part of the string is for people who wash their hands, the bottom part is for people who don't.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

zedprime posted:

This is a luxury of wiring houses a normal way. Putting a switch in the bathroom with ring mains really is equivalent to a live copper floor.

Don't do that

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Torquemada posted:

lol what the heck. i'm not american and my light switch is also inside the bathroom, and everywhere i've been to is like this. i've never heard of anyone being electrocuted by a light switch, why is the uk like this lmao

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

lol what the heck. i'm not american and my light switch is also inside the bathroom, and everywhere i've been to is like this. i've never heard of anyone being electrocuted by a light switch, why is the uk like this lmao

if you do things a certain way it is because the rest of the world is barbarous idiots. there is no other explanation.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Torquemada posted:

This is the dumbest thing I’ve read so far today and I proofread my own posts.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

why is the uk like this

Regardless of topic, it is because they are the worst people on earth and entirely unable to recognize it about themselves.
They are like vampires unable to see themselves in mirrors.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Torquemada posted:

lol this is some Korean Fan Death poo poo.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

The Bloop posted:

You know what they call a fannypussy in France?

Le fannypussy

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Bloop posted:

You know what they call a fannypussy in France?

Royale with Cheese

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I think the "light switch outside" for Britain is from the times when electrical wires and switches were largely uninsulated and then it just became habitual or baked into the code.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Torquemada posted:

lmfao

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

So when is the empire going to make its glorious return?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

So when is the empire going to make its glorious return?

well they're stuck in the 19th c. in terms of electrical technology so maybe they're all pretending it's still an empire too?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Weka posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? This is the stupidest post in a long line of your very stupid posts.

Haha, OP's really in hot water now!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I learned how to wire plugs in school because back in the day lots of appliances didn't ship with plugs already attached

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

BigBadSteve posted:

Haha, OP's really in hot water now!

You know what else is in the hot water? Rats, bats, bugs, pigeons, and pretty much anything else that can get into the attic because the brits don't even bother to put a lid on their hot water tanks.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

bitterandtwisted posted:

I learned how to wire plugs in school because back in the day lots of appliances didn't ship with plugs already attached

Do you remember where you were when Archduke Franz Ferdinand was shot?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
op have you not even heard the phrase "redder than a british pigeon"?

a lot of people think it refers to pigeons being boiled alive in the hot water tanks in peoples attics, but actually it refers to when pigeons would make it into the bathroom in the old copper floor days and fry themselves to death on the light switch. electricity is super effective against pigeons u see.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
did you know? in England you buy your bathwater from the hot water aisle in the supermarket

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Hammerite posted:

did you know? in England you buy your bathwater from the hot water aisle in the supermarket

At least in America the only people buying bathwater are creepy sex pests.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Yaldabaoth posted:

It's the same in the UK.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Yaldabaoth posted:

This is technically true in England, as well.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I intended to be beaten to that joke. In England, it is the height of bad manners to speak before a dog.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Applewhite posted:

It's the same in the UK.

:sbahj:

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i've never lived in a house that had a water heater in the attic and two taps and im 35.

that's like an old person thing OP, like carpeted bathrooms

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

I had to renovate this old rear end house I moved into in the UK, the nice men who did the plumbing put a combi-boiler in the attic but there's still a big tub partially filled with water up there that I don't want to have to deal with.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Olewithmilk posted:

I had to renovate this old rear end house I moved into in the UK, the nice men who did the plumbing put a combi-boiler in the attic but there's still a big tub partially filled with water up there that I don't want to have to deal with.

If the water's not hot then it's not for the taps, it's for washing the servants.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Das Boo posted:

C'mon, man, be nice. They measure things in rocks.
Things are not going well in England.

Loool

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
In Canada, the hot water comes in bags.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

No my house isn't painted black it's only covered in soot from the industrial revolution.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Wait, if they think all hot water is theoretically contaminated do they just take cold baths/showers or is the dead rat water totally cool to bathe in?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Everything in the colonies is backwards and stupid, says the brit on the way to pay their television ownership fee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit
*Tries to hang a photo of my extremely ugly British family on the wall* * Victorian era plaster cracks like a cartoon and a skeleton falls out of the wall*. Oi guv