Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
My garage needs a new roof. I'd like to do metal, but I'm personally only familiar with installing shingle roofs.

It's unattached, single gable, no pipes, vents, valleys, etc... and unfinished and unheated so also no ridge vent (though I imagine putting on in is probably good to help air flow in the warm, humid summers?)

How hard is it to DIY a standing seam metal roof? Even having to buy a few specialty tools I imagine will save thousands on labor, right?

It's roughly 400 sq ft total. Or would a simpler corrugated metal roof be better? I'd also prefer to install it over the existing shingles to save time and money on the demo, not sure if standing seam can normally do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is there a reason you want to move away from shingles? 400sqft of shingles sounds like a fairly cheap and easy job vs switching to a new roof.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

smax posted:

What model garage door unit? I did something similar recently, but was adding MyQ functionality to an older garage door. The new control panel had the motion sensor on it.

I think you have the right idea, you might need to be careful as to which control panel you get since compatibility may not be obvious. I think there’s a simple control panel that only has the motion sensor, but I’ll need to look.

Edit: the 886LM looks like a simpler version with only the motion sensor, but if you have an older door opener you might need to go with an 889LM.

They publish compatibility charts like this one:
https://p.widencdn.net/nkm2rb/CX3131

Note that this chart looks to be a little older, the 888LM has been replaced by the 889LM now.
Thanks, mine definitely has a "MyQ" logo on it (whatever that is). I'll check model number. I looked in to it 18months ago to see if that meant "wifi" or something and it just seemed to mean i had to add some other box to do anything "smart".

So it sounds like you're suggesting replacing the entire panel with the button with something with a better sensor (vs just 'adding' a sensor, which I dont see on that url)?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Enos Cabell posted:

Is there a reason you want to move away from shingles? 400sqft of shingles sounds like a fairly cheap and easy job vs switching to a new roof.

Mostly, I want to avoid the tear off.

My garage is very close to my house on one side, and also kind of close to the neighbor's on the other (it must have been built before some of the stricter setback zoning restrictions were in place...the wall of the garage is probably less than 12' from their house.)

And for some reason, my garage was built 90 degrees the wrong way, as far as I'm concerned. The eaves are pointed AT the house (well, 1 at my house, the other at my neighbors') not towards/away from my driveway. My house goes in the correct direction, but not the garage. Go figure.

So tearing off the shingles would be much more labor and time intensive since I can't putt a roll off dumpster on either eave side, and just let the shingles fall down into it easily. So every bit I rip off I'd then have to carry/push to the gable end that faces the driveway to throw it in the dumpster. Plus the cost of the dumpster and associated waste, and not being able to use my driveway during that whole time (and between the GF and I we have three vehicles, so my neighbors wouldn't be happy they'd all have to be in the street.)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

Mostly, I want to avoid the tear off.

My garage is very close to my house on one side, and also kind of close to the neighbor's on the other (it must have been built before some of the stricter setback zoning restrictions were in place...the wall of the garage is probably less than 12' from their house.)

And for some reason, my garage was built 90 degrees the wrong way, as far as I'm concerned. The eaves are pointed AT the house (well, 1 at my house, the other at my neighbors') not towards/away from my driveway. My house goes in the correct direction, but not the garage. Go figure.

So tearing off the shingles would be much more labor and time intensive since I can't putt a roll off dumpster on either eave side, and just let the shingles fall down into it easily. So every bit I rip off I'd then have to carry/push to the gable end that faces the driveway to throw it in the dumpster. Plus the cost of the dumpster and associated waste, and not being able to use my driveway during that whole time (and between the GF and I we have three vehicles, so my neighbors wouldn't be happy they'd all have to be in the street.)

If you don't want to tear off shingles all that leaves you with realistically is slapping another layer on.

Standing seam = lol, just no. You're not gonna babby's first standing seam on your garage with poor access, and absolutely not on a layer of shingles. That has to be done on decking.

Corrugated Metal = Not over shingles, shouldn't even be over decking. Purlins, double bubble, and then corrugated. THEN you need to properly box the sides with trim pieces to your soffits.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

falz posted:

Thanks, mine definitely has a "MyQ" logo on it (whatever that is). I'll check model number. I looked in to it 18months ago to see if that meant "wifi" or something and it just seemed to mean i had to add some other box to do anything "smart".

So it sounds like you're suggesting replacing the entire panel with the button with something with a better sensor (vs just 'adding' a sensor, which I dont see on that url)?

Yep, I don’t know if there’s a separate motion sensor you can add. All of the ones I know about are built in to the control panel.

I have a brand new MyQ opener and I think it came with the 886LM (with motion sensor).

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is that even code-complaint? Like...I do believe there is PVC rated for incoming/potable water, but are those they? Or is it just "drain-rated" PVC that got tacked on the end of the existing pipe?

Looks like cpvc so I think its right material and just weird execution

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I'm going to probably bite the bullet on replacing the "wood" siding that's on 3/4ths of my house with hardie plank and at the same time do the windows.

The business that has been doing the siding and windows on a lot of my neighbors homes seems to be getting good reviews, and uses the Andersen 100 series windows. I have a question or two about aesthetics.

This is the front of my house (only the portions facing the street have the brick facade and I plan to limewash it).

I plan to use their black exterior frame window, but I'm unsure if I should go for any sort of munton or grill pattern for the windows facing the street. From what I've seen of nicer and more e xpensive homes, the "specified equal light" tends to be common if there is any grill pattern present. Otherwise, I am leaning towards no grill

Next, I'm unsure how or where to pick out a new front door. I tend to like the midcentury modern aesthetic (like 5 panel doors), but I acknowledge that my home is not at all a MCM. As far as overall cohesion, I would assume that whatever grill choice I do on the front two windows, I need to continue it to the front door, sidelights, and transom. I am not in love with the arched transom over my front door, but I'm not sure of what would look best here.

A neighbor that had their siding and windows replaced went with a front door with a single offset vertical window with flanking sidelights, all with fluted glass. I think it's attractive, but it does sort of remind me of a 1970s/80s door to a school. Sort of like this, in a green:

This is sort of attractive, but I would want some sort of privacy glass. Either frosted, fluted, or something:

TL;DR:
1) Window grills or no grills
2) What front doors should I be looking at and do you typically purchase them with sidelights and transom or just sidelights?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I would skip the grills unless you go full divided light (expensive) but only because fake muntins/mullions stuck on the outside of double pane windows are a pet peeve of mine. Simulated divided light is okay I guess, grilles between glass looks awful to me. 'Tall fractional' looks okay to me too and matches your light fixtures. If you go the specified even light, get the 2 over 2 one, not the three horizontal panes. They look very on trend, and don't go with your house at all. A plain one over one window isn't fancy but it's fine and it goes with any style, so don't feel like you have to change what you have.

The steel door look like your neighbor did is very trendy right now, but I think it may be on the downward side of the trend cycle. Get new, more modern/contemporary door hardware (especially the knocker), paint the door black or whatever the trim color is, and I think your current door is fine. Painting the dividers on on the glass door surround would help a ton too.

You're right that your house isn't midcentury modern and never will be so I wouldn't try to make it into something it isn't. Limewashing and different trim color will help a ton at making it look less 'beige, first 20 yrs of the 21st century'. I'm not sure exactly what trim color-your light colored roof might look funny with the dark trim that is currently in style with white houses.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Yeah my next concern is picking a trim color. No idea where to start with that.

This house was built in 1991, and everything that doesn't look newish is original. It would be nice to replace the door with something a little nicer.

Would you keep the arched transom or go with a squared off shape?

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 29, 2021

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Fake divided lights basically always look bad, so don't do them unless you buy something with truve divided lights.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I haven't seen anybody mention that side lights on a door are a gift to would-be burglars. On the other hand, so is every other ground-floor window, so :shrug:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Lol if you always remember to lock your door and close your garage

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

brugroffil posted:

Lol if you always remember to lock your door and close your garage

I cannot understand people who don't lock their doors :psyduck:

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
IMO it's actually kind of not bad as is. Boring, but clean and looks like it's mostly coherent. The stark white of the garage trim and grilles is off-putting, though, given the color scheme. Also the "90 degree angles in a curved transom" is pretty bad as well...

Also they make sidelight curtains if you want privacy. I would think that this is a better option than something permanent like frosted glass.

All that said, I live in a late 90s subdivision where the house colors are all some super watered down pastel, so it doesn't take much for me. Mine is a very light pastel green that has maybe a hint of blue in it or something. It's horrible, but the only good looking houses are those who have deviated from the original paint. One neighbor has a very bold blue... like a dark-but-not-navy blue, and clean white trim, looks pretty nice.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I haven't seen anybody mention that side lights on a door are a gift to would-be burglars. On the other hand, so is every other ground-floor window, so :shrug:

I mean they're just as likely to just kick the door in anyhow. As long as it's alarmed it shouldn't be an issue. In either case you're looking at property damage regardless. Either you're replacing a window, or you're replacing a door/frame.

If they want in, they're going to get in. A sidelight isn't going to make it any more attractive to a burglar.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

miraculously i got drunk and forgot to close my garage door twice and my miter saw didn't walk away, so i got that goin for this neighborhood.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Johnny Truant posted:

Laziness/forgetfulness. But also the most likely home invader would be a deer so whatever.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Johnny Truant posted:

I like to think that's just from living in a society that works the way it's supposed to. It's supposed to be that safe.

We lock our doors most of the time, but my shed doesn't even have a door and our bikes are outside. Nobody has ever stolen them yet. Heck I see kids leave their bikes by the side of the road near the bus stop.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Anywhere in a city is just too full of opportunists to leave things open. Locking doors and putting bikes away just takes your house out of the “interesting” category for would-be idiots cruising around.

I just finished a big renovation, but I had a dumpster in my driveway for months so I had to be pretty on top of it. One time in broad daylight I was in my side yard and I watched a guy park his truck, walk up into my yard and toward my porch, where some packages had been delivered, talking on his phone the whole time. He didn’t notice me until he was halfway down the path to my house and when he saw me, raised his hand and said “oh how you doing sir” and I just pointed and said “no thanks, leave please” and he turned around and walked away. 100% those packages would have walked away with him had I not been there.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

MetaJew posted:

Yeah my next concern is picking a trim color. No idea where to start with that.

Sherwin Williams does free virtual color consultations, I did one when I couldn't figure out what color to change all my exterior trim and doors to and it helped a lot. Highly recommended: https://homeowner.sherwin-williams.com/colorconsult/

Their little color selector tool where you can upload a photo and swap colors around was useful too.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

if i didnt lock my doors and garage i would no longer have possessions and thats not my decor ascetic

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008
We replaced some 90 year old windows in our house yesterday. The old ones were rusting and had little windows that opened but never closed properly because they had 90 years of paint on them, and most of the opaque, single-glazed panes were cracked. The frames were made from iron and securely anchored under the brick so it took 2 guys 5 hours to cut them out and replace them with these double-glazed beauties.

I never realised that windows could make me so happy.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Nice windows. Also nice username, lol

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

That's such a great improvement

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That came out great. Was your house a church rectory or something at some point? Those are unusual windows.

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008

BigFactory posted:

That came out great. Was your house a church rectory or something at some point? Those are unusual windows.

No, it's a house built in the typical Dutch style of the 1930s. Ours is an end terrace and quite quirky and different to the other houses in our row, though, so we're the only house with these particular windows.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Those are really pretty windows, nice job!

falz
Jan 29, 2005

falz posted:

Sorta garage door question. I have a liftmaster. The 'open' button is next to the human door, but the sensor in it to auto turn on the light never does so when you reach your hand in there, and its too dark (and there are stairs).

I wan to add 'just a motion sensor' that is 'pointed' at the human door so as soon as you open it, the light turns on. I can't find just that, but only this thing which seems overly complex:

https://www.liftmaster.com/wi-fi-motion-detecting-control-panel-with-timer-to-close/p/G881LM

Anyone aware of a way to directly wire a motion detector to one of these, or some workaround?

Ok upon further review my current control panel doesn't even have a motion sensor so that's why.

Buying a 881LMW which allegedly is compatible with my myq2 that has a yellow program button (apparently how they help you identify).

Literally have never had a house that didn't have a motion sensor for light so assumed they all did. Guess they saved $2 on the stock one or something.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

falz posted:

Literally have never had a house that didn't have a motion sensor for light so assumed they all did. Guess they saved $2 on the stock one or something.

I've never had a house WITH a motion sensor. Just the safety sensors on the doors that will turn on the overheard light when you break them.

It sounds like a good idea, but I didn't even know that was a thing.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Motronic posted:

I've never had a house WITH a motion sensor. Just the safety sensors on the doors that will turn on the overheard light when you break them.

It sounds like a good idea, but I didn't even know that was a thing.

Bizarro world. As long as it works it'll be worth the $30 to not fall down two steps into a pitch black garage some day. Hell my dog won't even go in until the light is on.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Alternatively they sell 8-packs of super cheap bright LED night lights on amazon for several dollars. If you have an outlet somewhere it would give you the light you need. Perhaps that second outlet in the duplex on the ceiling for your opener? Who knows if they're the exact ones that I got from that same URL in february, but they are so bright I put electrical tape over 3/4 of it to use in my kids room when he decided he didn't like the pitch black.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GL6F9V4/

They use whole a watt or two of electricity.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 30, 2021

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Alternatively they sell 8-packs of super cheap bright LED night lights on amazon for several dollars. If you have an outlet somewhere it would give you the light you need. Perhaps that second outlet in the duplex on the ceiling for your opener? Who knows if they're the exact ones that I got from that same URL in february, but they are so bright I put electrical tape over 3/4 of it to use in my kids room when he decided he didn't like the pitch black.

I got these a while ago and was astonished how great they are for how cheap they are. Very satisfied

falz
Jan 29, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Interesting idea, I may grab some for some indoor house stuff, Ive only got one or two old rear end night lights, these seem way better.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I think this thread had couch chat a while back and I want to say we’ve been pretty happy with the la-z-boy sectional we received about a month ago. We needed something that would be cat and toddler friendly, not too awful to look at, and fit in a weirdly shaped smallish living room.

It’s comfy and sturdy and the fabric quality is *surprisingly* good. Will check back with the thread when it either all goes sideways or enough time passes that I can give a report as to how well it wears.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

BadSamaritan posted:

I think this thread had couch chat a while back and I want to say we’ve been pretty happy with the la-z-boy sectional we received about a month ago. We needed something that would be cat and toddler friendly, not too awful to look at, and fit in a weirdly shaped smallish living room.

It’s comfy and sturdy and the fabric quality is *surprisingly* good. Will check back with the thread when it either all goes sideways or enough time passes that I can give a report as to how well it wears.

The la z boy sectional we were looking at had a 7 month lead time, but we are moving in within a month, so we are going to have to find something that is in stock somewhere that will hold us over for a little bit.

I’m really interested to see how yours holds up. I’ve seen 20 year old la z boys that still look decent and I’ve seen 5 year old ones that are ready to be replaced. I hope their build quality and durability isn’t going downhill that bad. The one at the store seemed really nice.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sarah Bellum posted:

We replaced some 90 year old windows in our house yesterday. The old ones were rusting and had little windows that opened but never closed properly because they had 90 years of paint on them, and most of the opaque, single-glazed panes were cracked. The frames were made from iron and securely anchored under the brick so it took 2 guys 5 hours to cut them out and replace them with these double-glazed beauties.

I never realised that windows could make me so happy.
Beautiful. I'd be happy, too.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

falz posted:

Bizarro world. As long as it works it'll be worth the $30 to not fall down two steps into a pitch black garage some day. Hell my dog won't even go in until the light is on.
I had one with a motion detector that only kicked in if the door was open. It was very odd. Took awhile to realize there was one, because it only functioned if I opened the door at night, let it sit empty long enough for the light to turn off, and then walked back in. I don't generally speaking leave my garage open at night if I'm not in it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Modus Man posted:

The la z boy sectional we were looking at had a 7 month lead time, but we are moving in within a month, so we are going to have to find something that is in stock somewhere that will hold us over for a little bit.

My parents are in the exact same boat, 7 month Friday until they get their new couch/loveseat combo. Dunno if it's from La-Z-Boy though.

My partner and I dropped most of our remaining "furniture and cosmetic" budget money on fixing our electrical system(yay homeownership!), so I think we're going to deal with only a single, 30 year old futon until I can inherit at least my parent's loveseat, lol.

I will be in the market for a good reclining chair though, open for recs! La-Z-Boy was what I was thinking, but the sublet I stayed in when I moved had a really cool Swedish reclining chair that I want to possibly get something similar to, was the more expensive name brand version of this sucker. Anybody got thoughts on this style of chair?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Modus Man posted:

I’m really interested to see how yours holds up. I’ve seen 20 year old la z boys that still look decent and I’ve seen 5 year old ones that are ready to be replaced. I hope their build quality and durability isn’t going downhill that bad. The one at the store seemed really nice.

Yeah, we ordered the sectional at the end of June and got it early October. Thankfully we weren’t in a rush. Our old ikea couch had served us well but hit end of life hard and needed replacement.

I’m hoping it holds up well- we didn’t want to spend big on a piece heading into toddler/preschooler years, but I was pretty unimpressed with the quality of a lot of brands at a few different price points. I’m so sick of wading through all the disposable stuff out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My washer just decided to fail.

What's the best options for basic models these days?