Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
You see mysterious strangers in the night. Leaning against unlit doorways, engaged in hushed quacking. A shadowy cabal exchanging looks, whispering in dark copier rooms and unmarked locales. A radical cell conspiring against the company -- and perhaps even against man and woman. Was that a secret handshake? What’s going on? Who are these secretive people? How will they accomplish their sinister and world-altering goals? And most importantly -- are you *one* of them? You could be. Maybe you forgot...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Hughlander posted:

AITA for sending my family an angry email because they still speak to my ex-husband and even have him over, especially in light of his present “relationship” with a girl 20 years younger than him?

Info - why don’t you and your family get along?

OP

Why couldn't you say no?

OP

OP

Being told you're pretty and cheating on your husband is exactly what the #metoo movement is all about! That's why your entire family is siding with your husband and his hot new surf instructor girlfriend!

The story the OP is sharing is the version that makes her look good. I can only imagine the real shitshow that led to cheating, a divorce with less than 50/50 custody, and your entire family siding with the ex and not wanting to spend time with the OP.

quote:

... The details of “why” are not important...
they almost always are important.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 1, 2021

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003

quote:

My husband has primary custody because he had better lawyers who were able to manipulate some minor missteps on my part into the court seeing them as a huge deal

I bet she actually believes this.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

zombienietzsche posted:

Believing anything else would require her to come to the realization that she's the problem, and that post clearly shows she's not there yet. Or maybe never will be.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

8one6 posted:

The story the OP is sharing is the version that makes her look good. I can only imagine the real shitshow that led to cheating, a divorce with less than 50/50 custody, and your entire family siding with the ex and not wanting to spend time with the OP.

they almost always are important.

I'm imagining a Rasputin-esque paperclip vendor/mesmerist

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

zombienietzsche posted:

Tbf she says her husband flat out said he didn't find her attractive "because she was fat" which certainly makes him seem bad. But like, if she suddenly gained a bunch of weight and refused to do anything about it that's fair to say that's a problem. Or maybe he just shut her out. Still didn't justify her affair.

I like how she heavily implies that her husband had an affair, "replacing" her with a 23 year old surf instructor. But lol she cheated, it's entirely possible he met the instructor post-separation or even after the divorce was finalized.

Also mega lol that the new chick is teaching everyone to surf. :qq: how dare my husband meet a new partner who is teaching him, his kids, and his parents something active and exciting:qq:

Uncle Enzo fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 1, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Never have I more wanted a relationship with a slightly dodgy age gap to be healthy and work out just fine.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'm being accused of "stealing company property" because I brought my own Kuerig cups in instead of buying from the company snack bar. How should I tell my boss to go gently caress herself?

quote:

The little Kuerig coffee cups at work are $0.50 each. Very reasonable, but I don't like the flavors they keep stocked, so I bought my own cups in from home and have been using those instead. Better flavor and all that.

There's a Kuerig coffee machine (2 of them actually, we have some serious coffee addicts here) in the breakroom that employees are allowed to use, so that's what I've been using.

My boss is a notorious tightwad and a micromanaging rear end in a top hat. I was getting my coffee yesterday morning, using my own Kuerig coffee cups that I purchased on my own time, and she asked "Where did you get those?" all offended-like (the ones I bought are easily distinguishable from the company purchased ones; mine are red, the company ones are blue). When I said I brought them in from home, she said that was illegal (???) and I was stealing company resources, and to stop immediately.

I just burst out laughing, I honestly thought she was kidding. She continued that I was "stealing the water" since I had to "pay for the privilege to use the coffee machines" and raised her voice for me to stop laughing, and that I could be fired. Thats when I realized she was serious.

I was nearly speechless. I kept repeating "Are you serious? Its water from a coffee machine, it's a single cup of coffee!" And she kept saying nope, stop immediately or we'll fire you for theft. Again and again and again. That I "had" to use the company purchased ones and no others.

I'm going in tomorrow and I'm getting my drat cup of coffee, and I will absolutely die on this hill if I have to. I've worked here for 5 years and have no problem escalating this up to the CEO if necessary. Or getting a new job, this is ridiculous .

How should I tell my boss she can go gently caress herself if she brings this up again and threatens me further?

EDIT: Well, I posted this a few hours ago and came back to several thousand comments and upvotes, holy hell! Don't worry, I'll keep you all updated! I'm absolutely printing of that requirement for potable water and keeping it on me, thank you all the people who recommended that. It seems the general consensus is "Tell her straight up to go gently caress herself" so I think I'll do just that. Thanks everyone!

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
I also like the confusing wording, it initially seemed her parents had invited her ex to an activity on her weekend. But no, OP is pissed her ex took her kids and her parents to seaworld and his new partner gave them surfing lessons. That's the thing that prompted the nasty email, a family vacation at the ocean.

I'm getting divorced. I hope and pray my ex finds a new partner who treats her well and likes my kids and teaches them fun active things. Please by all means take my parents out and give them surfing lessons, they'd love that. What's this lady's problem??

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'm being accused of "stealing company property" because I brought my own Kuerig cups in instead of buying from the company snack bar. How should I tell my boss to go gently caress herself?

Flip her a nickle and tell her to keep the change.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

lolling at the vast duck club conspiracy that goes all the way to the top

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Uncle Enzo posted:

I also like the confusing wording, it initially seemed her parents had invited her ex to an activity on her weekend. But no, OP is pissed her ex took her kids and her parents to seaworld and his new partner gave them surfing lessons. That's the thing that prompted the nasty email, a family vacation at the ocean.

I'm getting divorced. I hope and pray my ex finds a new partner who treats her well and likes my kids and teaches them fun active things. Please by all means take my parents out and give them surfing lessons, they'd love that. What's this lady's problem??

I think I'd be weirded out by my family secretly having a relationship with my ex. I think OP knows a lot of people would feel that way, so that's why she worded things the way she did. I think the mom's email is right on. "Yes it's weird to have a secret relationship with your ex but lol you're such an rear end in a top hat it actually becomes the right thing to do in this situation."

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hellblazer187 posted:

Place your bets, ladies and gents, I’m going with “the boss buys the coffee cups with company money, but keeps the cash per coffee cup”

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

lolling at the vast duck club conspiracy that goes all the way to the top

I want regular updates from that manager as they slowly peel back the veil and realize they're in a horny duck-themed Philip K Dick novel

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Uncle Enzo posted:

She's the protagonist, and her family isn't respecting that.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Hellblazer187 posted:

Just fill your Keurig cups with water and boil them in the microwave.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Hellblazer187 posted:

Either the boss cannot stand Being Wrong,or there might be accounting "irregularities" she's worried about. Or it's the return of Guacamole Bob.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Hughlander posted:

She's the protagonist, and her family isn't respecting that.

ding ding ding we have a winner

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cobalt-60 posted:

Either the boss cannot stand Being Wrong,or there might be accounting "irregularities" she's worried about. Or it's the return of Guacamole Bob.

she's under orders to start getting rid of people in a way that doesn't affect the company's UI payouts and this is the best she could come up with

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

zombienietzsche posted:

Virtually every person who says they were screwed by the courts on custody just says that because "I didn't actually want custody of my kids" doesn't garner sympathy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dik Hz posted:

Virtually every person who says they were screwed by the courts on custody just says that because "I didn't actually want custody of my kids" doesn't garner sympathy.

My kid mind controlled and forced me to abandon them by being kind of annoying.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Hellblazer187 posted:

This is insane. I don't even work at a large company and when our HR person called the coffee supply people to ask how much they were charging they freaked out and thought we were shopping around, so they gave us a free keurig and started sending us cups for no additional charge. Charging your employees for coffee is absolute horse poo poo, you want them to drink coffee and be more productive.

Also that post has got to have like a minimum of $100 worth of rewards on it.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
One other important detail about the ex-husband and the surfing instructor story is that there's a good chance the ex-husband really is just platonic friends with a young woman who's giving the whole family surfing lessons. That's what he and the kids told the OP and uh...OP doesn't seem like a reliable narrator.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Baronjutter posted:

My kid mind controlled and forced me to abandon them by being kind of annoying.

This is the title to a light novel somewhere

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Why do bash “dead-beat” dads for not being there for their kids but we never question if the child has bad vibes? Or if they’re just unpleasant to be around?

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

"I have bad news about your wife's c-section."

"Oh my God, are they alright?"

"They're fine, but... we did a vibe check on baby, and it's not looking good. He's going to be a little poo poo."

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

she's under orders to start getting rid of people in a way that doesn't affect the company's UI payouts and this is the best she could come up with

That, or she's skimming some $$ off the purchases of coffee by telling higher ups that it's more expensive than it really is. Betting she's got some coffee grift going on to make extra cash & doesn't want to be outed :lol:

Get hosed, coffee Nazi

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Scaevolus posted:

"I have bad news about your wife's c-section."

"Oh my God, are they alright?"

"They're fine, but... we did a vibe check on baby, and it's not looking good. He's going to be a little poo poo."

This explains the double flip-off in the ultrasound

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for no longer handing my son his allowance after I found out my husband's been taking it?

quote:

My son (10) recently started recieving allowance from me since his dad is unemployed and also because my son likes to have his own money to spend on stuff he wants.

The problem is that I discovered by accident that my husband has been taking the money from our son to buy his own stuff like cigarette or a drink. He'd approach our son whenever he has money and tell him he'll buy him what he wants but ends up spending the money on something else, something for him not our son. Our son abviously can not drive by himself and buy his own stuff so my husband offers to buy stuff for him using of course his allowance. I'm a nurse working long shifts most of the time so I'm not always home

Everytime our son wants something my husband would be like "Hey bud, you want few bags of dorittos for you and the other kids?. I'll stop by supermarket and get them for you then. That would be $$$" then our son gives him the money but never recieves his dorrittos. Rinse and repeat. This went on for 2 months til my son told me.

Turns out my husband asked not to tell mommy because she'd get mad at him and he'll be in trouble and promised to get him his stuf but he never does. I had a big fight with my husband about it. He said it wasn't bug deal since he always end up getting our son the stuff he want 99% of the time. He told me to consider this as "gas money" since he drives xxx of kilometers to the supermarket to buy what our son wants. I shamed him for taking advantage of our son and taking the money that was meant for him and said he was acting like a thief but worse when stealing from his own son. I then said I won't be handing our son any allowance anymore and my husband said I was overreacting and punishing our son for no reason. I said I'll handle our son's needs from now on but he argued that I can't when I'm busy working all the time. I said it was none of his business and walked out the room. He kept negging me saying my son will resent me if I stop handing him money but I refused to engage anyfurther in the argument and the guilt tripping. He keeps calling me heartless and financially controlling to take away the allowance.

AITA?

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for exposing my parents' favoritism

Update AITA for exposing my parents' favoritism

quote:

I decided to go ahead and call my grandparents to accept their offer to move in. During the phone call I asked them why there was monthly payments being sent to my parents. Turns out my parents were living beyond their means for a while because my mother quit her job to be a full time stay at home mom. My grandparents decided to help out by sending them money monthly to help with my parents mortgage and also to set aside some of that money for college savings for both my brother and I that was to be split evenly. Turns out my parents only planned to put that savings towards my brother's college. And that's also how they bought his car as well. So from now on my parents are now on their own financially. Likely my mother will have to go back to work to help my dad keep up the mortgage.

I confronted my parents and asked why they've always treated my brother as the favorite. Then asked if there was something I needed to know. Turns out there was...NOTHING! Literally nothing! I'm not an affair baby. Not even an unplanned pregnancy! They just liked my brother more! I was mad as hell and we argued a lot before I left the room because I'd had enough.

My grandparents showed up on Saturday with a moving truck. My parents were floored when we started bringing in boxes to pack. My father got in our way and I reminded him how he said that I should move out, so I am. My mother cried some more and said that my father was just angry in the moment when he said that, and they had been counting on my rent money to help with my brother's college fund. I asked if that meant he would never have had to pay rent like I did when he turns 18. My father then said that since I was taking a gap year to work, then my rent money could have helped my brother. Which means they never intended for him to get a job while going to college.

My grandpa was enraged and confronted my father, saying he raised him better than this. He chewed him out saying he's never been more disappointed in him, and they will no longer receive any more financial support. Then said he'd disown them both if they ever tried to retaliate against me for exposing them. My father backed down and neither he or my mother said another word to me. I had a bit of an awkward conversation with my brother as we said our goodbyes to each other. And that was it. I just got in my car, waved and drove off.

I'm now fully moved into my new room at my grandparents' house. It's a little smaller, but nice. And my grandparents are very welcoming. I'm going to keep working hard to move forward from here and I appreciate everyone's support.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Evil Willow posted:

The grandparents sound cool as poo poo. What the gently caress, birthgivers.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Evil Willow posted:

tell me the inheritance is going to skip a generation without telling me the inheritance is gonna skip a generation

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Mx. posted:

AITA for no longer handing my son his allowance after I found out my husband's been taking it?

Is the husband and the dad named in this story the same person, or two different losers this woman has been unfortunate enough to know?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Evil Willow posted:

Kid is so lucky to have awesome grandparents likes that.

Otherwise, those parents were just going to gently caress that poor kid's life so hard. Not only did they put the money the grandparents were giving them for both children only to the golden child, but they were putting OP's rent towards his brother's college fund, too :argh:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Son, you can't move out! We need your rent money! To pay for your brother's education!

Why do you claim he's our favorite?!?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Kid is so lucky to have awesome grandparents likes that.

Otherwise, those parents were just going to gently caress that poor kid's life so hard. Not only did they put the money the grandparents were giving them for both children only to the golden child, but they were putting OP's rent towards his brother's college fund, too :argh:

They'll just use the kid's social security number to open up credit cards to pay for poo poo for the younger brother, obviously.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for leaving a family without childcare because the child called the police on me?

this one makes me shaking mad. bet that kid is going to love being a cop when he grows up

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

rotinaj posted:

Place your bets, ladies and gents, I’m going with “the boss buys the coffee cups with company money, but keeps the cash per coffee cup”
I think you're right, but I'll one-up you by adding that the boss is also skimming company funds in other ways. Looking forward to an OP update where we find out that the boss nuked herself when the HR/grandboss hear in OP's exit interview that they lost a five-year employee over a couple bucks a week of coffee.

Especially when you remember that this is the best labor market for workers in at least a decade AND any boss who's this tight with coffee costs is guaranteed to be cheap on raises/salaries also AND OP has been there for five years. So they were definitely getting OP at a huge discount and hey congrats on saving a few bucks on coffee while costing the company thousands extra on salary.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

tinytort posted:

They know. They just don't want to admit that OP is very lucky not to have been shot or arrested, just like they don't want to admit that John isn't just playing, he's harassing and assaulting the younger kids.

Not a psych goon, but afaik, Reactive Attachment Disorder is usually the result of neglect. But sometimes, brains are just fucky and the connections don't form properly, or there's comorbidities (ADHD's rejection-sensitive dysphoria could definitely gently caress up a kid's sense of security even if there's no abuse or neglect), and you have to work with the hand you got dealt.

Am a psych goon. It's one of the only known disorders to be entirely environmental. There can be comorbidities that complicate it, but it's not organic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Vinny Possum posted:

r/relationships: OP reveals that her boyfriend is a white hotep