Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Jerkface posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5tSoaJ93ac

Music video for Riot's upcoming animated lol show Arcane that was created by the same animation studio. The animation style continues to be fucken siiiiiiiiick

League of Legends has lore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Sorta. They made a big push to at least have the game world be internally consistent a few years back with the intent to build up the lore side of things. They did a big sweep through of lore to get rid of cruft, formalized the world a bit more, and (most importantly) made the game itself non-canon so they could tell whatever stories they wanted with the characters without having to worry about having every story conclude with "and then they joined the League of Legends!"

So far its led to a very lovely in-game event and this, which is looking pretty rad.

They also have made some of their more popular skin lines alternate universes, so they occasionally tell stories there too.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 29, 2021

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

it's bakshi's birthday today, and i invite you all to celebrate with me in the cool world

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hedrigall posted:

https://youtu.be/BwPL0Md_QFQ

Lightyear trailer

Should have had a slow mournful cover of “What’s the Buzz” from JCSS

You know given there's a shot with a blackboard that seems to be explaining time dilation, I think they're going for a Buck Rogers type deal where Buzz is piloting the prototype FTL ship and then because that didn't get factored in he inadvertently jumps into the future to be the fish out of water hero. Kind of explains why there's some scenes that look to be mostly contemporary/near future and others with the more advanced space opera look.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I don't like how toyetic the suit looks. Like everything looks fairly grounded but then the actual Buzz Lightyear suit is this bulky white thing with green glow in the dark highlights with 35+ points of articulation batteries not included some assembly required get help from mom or dad not intended for kids younger than 5

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That's true. It's not like we're surprised by exceedingly inaccurate kids toys based on shows, either.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, the suit was very specifically designed to have the look of a cartoonish future setting, it makes no sense to have it be exactly the same in a contemporary setting except for an obsession with ~branding~. Weirdly enough one case where an adaptation should be less aesthetically faithful to the source material.

Like, Buzz Lightyear of Star Command felt perfectly like the setting and tone where Buzz should come from. It fits him the same way Woody's Roundup fits Woody.

...actually I know what this is making me think of- Cruella. The same deal with trying to 'explain' things that never needed explaining, and completely missing the point of the character in the process and changing poo poo that didn't ever need changing.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 1, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Everything needs a backstory, like “Reed Alert” and the scar on Indiana Jones’ chin!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, the suit was very specifically designed to have the look of a cartoonish future setting, it makes no sense to have it be exactly the same in a contemporary setting except for an obsession with ~branding~. Weirdly enough one case where an adaptation should be less aesthetically faithful to the source material.

Like, Buzz Lightyear of Star Command felt perfectly like the setting and tone where Buzz should come from. It fits him the same way Woody's Roundup fits Woody.

...actually I know what this is making me think of- Cruella. The same deal with trying to 'explain' things that never needed explaining, and completely missing the point of the character in the process and changing poo poo that didn't ever need changing.

He does have a normal suit in the contemporary setting.

It's definitely a farscape plot, first human to test a new warp drive, gets zoomed across the universe, meets some aliens and joins the resistance, then gets the toy suit.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Wait hold on doesn't he need to make it back for them to base toys on him? In the Toy Story world humanity canonically made contact with alien life???

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pigbuster posted:

In the Toy Story world humanity canonically made contact with alien life???
Yeah. I thought that implication was pretty fun myself.

Oh Pizza Planet isn't just SciFi ChuckECheese?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Those aliens in the claw machine? They're not toys

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Where are people getting the idea lightyear is set in the toy story universe? It's just a tv show andy watches in toy story. This is a spin off from that, not toystory 5

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

By the way does anybody else remember seeing this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Christmas_Toy and thinking Toy Story seemed awfully familiar from a plot/conceptual standpoint

(Probably a lot of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Velveteen_Rabbit in it too)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Where are people getting the idea lightyear is set in the toy story universe?
Maybe from all the PR stuff going "This is the MAN that Buzz the toy is based on! Learn the true story behind Buzz Lightyear!"

Data Graham posted:

By the way does anybody else remember seeing this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Christmas_Toy and thinking Toy Story seemed awfully familiar from a plot/conceptual standpoint
Cultured audience members would recognize Toy Story as a less sexually frustrated retelling of Mannequin

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I have one friend from college who knew of this film. I was working at Target at the time in the early 2000s and found that movie on DVD. She was the only one who had heard of that movie, so I bought her a copy. We have watched it every year since then, just mocking the poo poo out of it.

She's the only person left from college I still talk to, about 15 years later.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

He does have a normal suit in the contemporary setting.

It's definitely a farscape plot, first human to test a new warp drive, gets zoomed across the universe, meets some aliens and joins the resistance, then gets the toy suit.

And yet, he still has three buttons that say phrases.

I like that the robots are like Wall-E robots. Buzz failed to save earth.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What's even funnier about this is that the Star Command suits in BLoSC don't look like toys. They aren't blocky with the obvious way action figures are built, they are designed like actual suits that would be functional to do the work they do in the vacuum of space.

Honestly this was something else that disappointed me with the suit reveal because...it doesn't have to literally be the toy suit, it can be a suit that would inspire the look for the Buzz action figures

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

FunkyAl posted:

And yet, he still has three buttons that say phrases.

Space stuff in fiction like darth vader always have chest mounted control buttons because apollo moon landings put all the controls on the chest of the suits so everyone thought that was real cool for a while.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Data Graham posted:

(Probably a lot of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Velveteen_Rabbit in it too)

Let's not forget the Brave Little Toaster.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Schwarzwald posted:

Wasn't that made by a bunch of people who'd go on to form Pixar?

Toy Story 3 in particular takes a lot of cues from it.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
There is also Raggedy Ann and Andy a Musical Adventure, and "The Mascot" from 1933. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZbShVaftSQ

There is no shortage of "what is the toys came to life," Buzz Lightyear is just a very good toy.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Schwarzwald posted:

This is my periodic post where I do nothing but bitch that this movie isn't available to stream anywhere. Not even if I wanted to pay specifically for it, according to Justwatch.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oh but you can stream Brave Little Toaster goes to Mars!!!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Chris Pratt is Garfield lmaooooooo

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Chris Pratt is voicing Garfield, which makes him a non-obese James Corden figure: a guy who is only modestly talented yet shows up loving everywhere.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Does Chris Pratt have dirt on people at this point? What is this

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

Genuinely thought you were just making a shitpost until I looked it up and uttered an audible "what the gently caress."

You know what, let's just skip on ahead to the inevitable movie where Chris Pratt voices every single character. It won't be pretty, but I'd rather just get it over with.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 1, 2021

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

IBroughttheFunk posted:

You know what, let's just skip on ahead to the inevitable movie where Chris Pratt voices every single character. It won't be pretty, but I'd rather do this sooner than later.

A Flubber re-remake? I'm in!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Genuinely thought you were just making a shitpost until I looked it up and uttered an audible "what the gently caress."

You know what, let's just skip on ahead to the inevitable movie where Chris Pratt voices every single character. It won't be pretty, but I'd rather just get it over with.

Yup it’s true, not sure why but there’s an animated Garfield movie in development apparently:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1455281964924260353

Maybe it’ll be better than the lovely live action ones a while back at least (the staff mentioned in the article doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence though)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 1, 2021

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

Hedrigall posted:

live action remake

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I hope they use Cats 2019 special effects for the animals.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Appropriate for them to announce this on a Monday.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Larryb posted:

Yup it’s true, not sure why but there’s an animated Garfield movie in development apparently:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1455281964924260353

Maybe it’ll be better than the lovely live action ones a while back at least (the staff mentioned in the article doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence though)

Pictured here already in character, thinking about sending Nermal to Abu Dhabi

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Macaluso posted:

He's a member of the church that has replaced scientology.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
He's been a star in a number of insanely successful movies, including voice acting in 2 big animated movies. It's not weird that he's getting cast.

Corden's presence in all kinds of stuff is weird because, like, when has he been the lead in a blockbuster? Pratt has fronted multiple billion dollar gross movies.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

He's in that magical part of his career where he has enough money and clout to do whatever the gently caress he wants so he chooses a bunch of projects he thinks his kids might like. All action stars do it eventually.

E:

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 2, 2021

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Looking forward to Chris Pratt playing Tintin in a new movie

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
he divorced Ana Faris and married a Swarzenegger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

readingatwork posted:

He's in that magical part of his career where he has enough money and clout to do whatever the gently caress he wants so he chooses a bunch of projects he thinks his kids might like. All action stars do it eventually.

E:

Why did you put Jumanji on there and not The Tooth Fairy