Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

William Bear posted:

Kairos mechanics released.

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-warhammer-3-kairos-mechanics/

Heavily involved with a reinforcement mechanic overhaul, which is surprising and welcome. Plus he gets to customize his spell selection.

He has a trait Hates Nurgle. That was expected, right? Khorne vs. Slaanesh, Nurgle vs. Tzeencht?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Torrannor posted:

He has a trait Hates Nurgle. That was expected, right? Khorne vs. Slaanesh, Nurgle vs. Tzeencht?

Yeah pretty much, looks like its similar to those "Grudge against [x faction]" skills that the Dwarfs get but its only for their opposing Chaos faction

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

William Bear posted:

Heavily involved with a reinforcement mechanic overhaul, which is surprising and welcome. Plus he gets to customize his spell selection.

It says Kairos will be sharing his starting province with a Warriors of Chaos faction inhabiting two settlements. So it looks like we’ll be seeing big changes to them without having to wait for a big update or DLC! That’s cool, even though we won’t get to actually play with those changes until Mortal Empires 2 comes out.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

quote:

On the other side lies a minor Khorne faction, Kharneth’s Sons, some more Tzeentchian followers in the Flaming Scribes, and a few native denizens of the Dark Lands.

Ogres!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I figured Khorne hated Tzeentch more than anyone?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

It says Kairos will be sharing his starting province with a Warriors of Chaos faction inhabiting two settlements. So it looks like we’ll be seeing big changes to them without having to wait for a big update or DLC! That’s cool, even though we won’t get to actually play with those changes until Mortal Empires 2 comes out.

I don't think it's totally impossible that Be'lakor could be Warriors of Chaos, with his need to work through a champion.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

WoC also now control land. But I think we knew that already

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

jokes posted:

I figured Khorne hated Tzeentch more than anyone?

Khorne v Slaanesh and Tzeentch v Nurgle are the traditional rivalries. Tzeentch v Nurgle is hope v despair, the other one is kinda vague.

I like the Tzeentch-Nurgle rivalry though. You'd think of hope as the positive emotion of the two, but in practice, Tzeentch's followers are mostly miserable scheming fuckers while Nurgle dudes are having a grand old time.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 3, 2021

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Khorne v Slaanesh and Tzeentch v Nurgle are the traditional rivalries. Tzeentch v Nurgle is hope v despair, the other one is kinda vague.

I like the Tzeentch-Nurgle rivalry though. You'd think of hope as the positive emotion of the two, but in practice, Tzeentch's followers are mostly miserable scheming fuckers while Nurgle dudes are having a grand old time.

The way I heard the Khorne-Slaanesh rivalry described is that Khorne favors combat for its own sake. His followers kill quickly and cleanly. Slaanesh has warriors who worship him, of course, but they prize perfecting their skills out of pride, find pleasure in bloodshed, and are constantly seeking new highs on the battlefield.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Gort posted:

I've got 120 hours in this, and I feel like I know the basics of how to work the game, but I'm not good at it. I'm just going to post a huge wall of questions in the hope that someone's a huge nerd for this game like I am for Hearts of Iron 4. My most recent game is as Karaz A Karak, so I'll use that as an example.

First up - Settlement building strategy.

So as Karaz A Karak I beelined to take over my starting province. While I was doing that, I upgraded the capital settlement, set up the gems building in the capital, and upgraded the infantry building in the capital so I can get Quarrellers. I've found in previous games that the only settlements that don't get razed by random raiding enemy armies are ones with walls, so my next step is to try to get walls on the two minor settlements ASAP, which requires population, which means I need to maximise growth. To do this, I put barley fields in all three settlements, and use the commandment that increases growth. I then get the most exposed minor settlement to level 3, and give it the guard building which gives it walls, then move on to the other minor settlement and do the same there. The third slot on the minor settlements gets a toolmaker for money.

So at this point the starting province is two level 3 minor settlements with walls, toolmaker and barley field, and the capital is level 2 with an infantry building and gems building. Next step is to upgrade the capital as much as possible as fast as possible, and grab any unique buildings and any recruitment buildings I want (Grudge Throwers are an early priority). I'll also probably need to put a pub in the capital to keep order.

Finally, once my capital has hit max level I'll get rid of all the growth buildings. Maybe I'll put recruitment buildings that max out at level 3 in the minor settlements to make room for more high level buildings in the capital. What do other players initial provinces end up looking like when they're "maxed out"?

Is that pretty much what other players do? I wonder if I'm too walls-fixated. I've had a fair few bad experiences where a random army comes barrelling out of the fog of war and clowns on a settlement that took tons of money and time to build up, and walled settlements are the only ones that stand a chance in that scenario.

Army composition strategy.

Obviously this is going to vary heavily by faction. An average early army in my Karaz A Karak game is the general, a runesmith, an engineer, six Dwarf Warriors with shields for a frontline, four Dwarf Warriors with Great Weapons (or Slayers if they're available) for flanking, four Quarrellers that mostly shoot at enemy archers, and three Grudge Throwers to force the enemy to come to me. This composition seems to do well against the early AI Greenskin and Skaven armies I've fought. The runesmith mostly spams runes of speed, with the occasional rune of slowness for enemy cavalry units. The engineer is mostly there for his army buffs, though restocking ammunition is nice in sieges or long battles.

The main issue I have playing Dwarfs against Greenskins and Skaven is enemy archer units - no cavalry means you basically have to outshoot them, and luckily Grudge Throwers and Quarrellers do that nicely.

As I get more advanced units I'll swap out like for like - so Dwarf Warriors will become Longbeards or Ironbreakers, Grudge Throwers become Organ guns, and flanking units might become gyrocopters or whatever.

Battle strategy

An average battle versus Greenskins and Skaven has me making a big line out of my melee troops - Warriors in the middle, two Great Weapon units on each end of the line. Then my three heroes behind the melee line, Quarrellers behind them, and Grudge Throwers behind them. If I'm fighting Skaven I'll put a high damage unit behind the Grudge Throwers to deal with the inevitable spawns of three clanrat units on top of the Grudge Throwers. I turn off skirmish mode on the Quarrellers and Engineer so they don't run to random places. I'll use Entrenchment from my engineer on one of my Grudge Thorwers.

The enemy will approach the line since the Grudge Throwers will force them to, and once they're within bowshot, I'll pause the game. I'll individually target each enemy archer unit with a Quarreller unit, and each enemy melee unit in their frontline with a Dwarf Warrior unit. If they've a general out front I'll send my general to duel them. (often my general is the High King and he tends to win such duels) My flanking units will go to the flanks and try to charge the rear of the enemy melee line if I outnumber the enemy, or just charge the ends of the enemy line if not. I'll target any non-melee enemy units with Grudge Throwers to avoid friendly fire. I put Rune of Speed on the middle of the battle. Then I unpause the game, and hopefully my army wins. Mostly my time after the game unpauses is spent micromanaging Quarrellers to change target from a broken enemy archer unit to an unbroken one.

I wonder if there's a more elegant way to control the army than this. It seems like it'd be a big hurry to set off the initial charge in multiplayer.

World map strategy

So mostly my games go like this - I take over my initial region, build up a full stack army, and it goes off conquering, trying to get more full regions. I'll usually get to a point where I'm facing something like a full enemy stack inside an enemy castle, and I'll add a second army to my first one, which joins it conquering. Usually that wins against anything it actually faces.

Trouble is, this leaves my original regions quite unprotected, and they tend to get raided. What do people tend to do about this? I wonder if other players tend to have "guard armies" they leave at home to cover for problems like this.

Good co-op campaign matchups

I'm going to be starting an MP co-op campaign soon, which is what's prompted all these questions. I'm thinking Mortal Empires map. The other player has said they want to play Wood Elves. What's a good other side to go with them? We don't really want to fight each other, more of a "take on the bastards" campaign. I was thinking maybe Bretonnia would go well with one of the two Athel Loren Wood Elf factions.

There's been a lot of good advice but I thought I'd pipe in on the campaign map / build order front. I think a lot of people are going to tell you to raze the infantry building in Karaz-a-Karak and rebuild it in the minor settlement since it only goes up to T3. This would also be my advice in most cases, HOWEVER I find playing as Thorgrim/Grombrindal it's better to keep it in Karaz-a-Karak to start. I think instead of rushing T3 on your minor settlements you should be pouring as much growth in Karaz-a-Karak itself as early as possible and keep your recruiting buildings there in the early game. Getting Karaz-a-Karak to T3 faster will open up a lot of powerful units to you early (longbeards, thunderers, Thane heroes).

I find myself rushing to the northern province to try and lock down Gunbad and the provincial capitol up there which means Grimgor is going to be sending raiding parties through the underway from the south and mucking up your minor provinces. Having him wreck your settlement that allows you to recruit quarrellers can really hamper your early game momentum. Instead of rushing T3 at those settlements to get walls, get them to T2, put in the defensive building (which may not give walls but does boost the garrison) and build a small second army to defend the Silver Road province - the combination of both these things is usually enough to scare away Grimgor until you have the northern province under control and you're ready to push south towards Black Crag. As a bonus, if you win a fight within the Silver Road province you can use one of the post-battle options to boost growth and PO in the province for a few turns too. Finally, you can use the secondary lord to transfer reinforcements to Thorgrim's stack out in the field. It's not much, but every bit helps with the growth-starved Dawri. Once you have a few of those pesky greenskin-occupied neighboring provinces sorted out, you may want to take a few turns rearranging buildings such that the infantry building is in a minor settlement w/ walls.

Army composition-wise I would say you're probably a little too heavy on melee infantry and could afford to drop the warriors with great weapons as they're pretty tepid and at this point you shouldn't need armor piercing for the foes you're fighting. Try dropping those guys and replacing with more quarrellers. Quarrellers are extremely effective in the early game. As mentioned before, instead of lining your quarrellers' focus up so one unit is shooting one enemy unit, use pairs, trios or even all of your quarrellers to focus down single units - you'll break the enemy forces faster. Don't be afraid to let your quarrellers take one round of parting shots at fleeing units as well - unless the unit is shattered (with a skull by the broken flag), it's likely they will come back and you will have saved yourself some time by shooting them as they ran. My early game army is usually a few dwarf warriors and miners for cheap frontline, and 8-12 quarrellers. They're that effective.

rideANDxORdie fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 3, 2021

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

William Bear posted:

The way I heard the Khorne-Slaanesh rivalry described is that Khorne favors combat for its own sake. His followers kill quickly and cleanly. Slaanesh has warriors who worship him, of course, but they prize perfecting their skills out of pride, find pleasure in bloodshed, and are constantly seeking new highs on the battlefield.

Slaanesh also wants deaths done in their name to be as prolonged and agonising as possible, because that draws out the most extreme emotions for the longest times, all directly feeding Slaanesh.

Khorne just wants you dead as quickly as possible so the blood starts flowing. Taking time doing long excruciating kills is time away from spilling more blood in general. Plus I think it's also implied that Slaanesh kind of "kill steals" Khorne via doing the drawn out deaths?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Khorne gets paid per job
Slaanesh is hourly

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Khorne hates Tzeentch on a professional level and hates Slaanesh on a personal level.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

William Bear posted:

quote:

Finally, if you’re the one with reinforcements on the way, you can move the reinforcement marker on the map to a place of your choosing, at the cost of extra time until the reinforcements arrive.

:sickos:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

The Chad Jihad posted:

WoC also now control land. But I think we knew that already

We had a screengrab of Tzeentch preparing to use the “reveal territory” action on the Dread Wo, whose heraldry was on the WoC shield, and that got people speculating. It could have meant that the action could be used to reveal the armies of horde factions that don’t hold territory, but now we know that isn’t the case!

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Lol the reinforcement rework is based off the Steam mod. This is amazing!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

Lol the reinforcement rework is based off the Steam mod. This is amazing!

Maybe, but it's also closer to how I remember reinforcements working in M1TW. I'm really glad they are changing it though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Slaanesh also wants deaths done in their name to be as prolonged and agonising as possible, because that draws out the most extreme emotions for the longest times, all directly feeding Slaanesh.

Khorne just wants you dead as quickly as possible so the blood starts flowing. Taking time doing long excruciating kills is time away from spilling more blood in general. Plus I think it's also implied that Slaanesh kind of "kill steals" Khorne via doing the drawn out deaths?

I remember how they introduced recently some Slaaneshi warriors called Painbringers whose claim to fame was being able to quickly disable and then leave their opponents in agony on the ground, then once the battle was won the Slaanehi's could go back and torture everyone the Painbringers disabled.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

Khorne hates Tzeentch on a professional level and hates Slaanesh on a personal level.

I can't quite remember the story, but Slaanesh made gifts to the other three Chaos gods to show that even they aren't immune to their powers.

Nurgle and Tzeentch both loved the gifts, but Khorne hated the gift (think it was a mirror) and the implication that Slaanesh was so powerful. So Khorne smashed it into an untold amount of pieces.

Now whenever Khorne has any free time, they spend it repairing the gift Slaanesh gave them because they secretly thought it was too perfect. And upon completion Khorne regains his rage, smashes it, and then repeats the process of repair -> smash all over again.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Speaking of dwarves I have had a very thematic mid game side theater with a Thorek ME run. I had been skirmishing with Malus (who straight up murdered Gotrek no demon required) early game but then he confederated with Morathi. I had a grudge that was bugging me to raid some dark elf lands and I didn't see much sense in letting some tasty green islands with trade goods go to chaos so I loaded up my nominal Oathgold/Public Order farming Runelord with a decent army (Longbeards, Quarrelers, Grudge Throwers) kitted out with anti missile runes due to dark shards and oh god what a slog. Of the initial army only the grudge throwers and three depleted quarrelers remained, I managed to grind through four consecutive pyrrhic victories by blowing first through my slayer pool (which was about four giant, six regular only two surviving) and then recruiting ogres at the end. It wasn't even the Black Guard building with one turn recruitment and Morathi being healed immediately following those battles it was the tier five loving black ark raining constant loving death over and over as I manually fought each and every battle watching my Runelord Kallon Brightaxe seriously start to doubt Thorek's lack of support for blackpowder but my best new player advice is be prepared to start feeling like a dwarf when you play dwarves ask Arghy

e: Also are DE the new Grimgrog because Morathi is still strength rank 12 with 2 half strength stacks and said black ark with like four units and now zero settlements.

Twigand Berries fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 3, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fighting elves as dwarfs I think requires a lot of artillery, especially dark elves and their loving shielded crossbows.

Mercifully they can't block giant rocks. Lore of Artillery all day.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's interesting that they are implying you might have more allied battles this time around. Hard to say if that's not just punch-up speak though. Riddles in the dark

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I can't quite remember the story, but Slaanesh made gifts to the other three Chaos gods to show that even they aren't immune to their powers.

Nurgle and Tzeentch both loved the gifts, but Khorne hated the gift (think it was a mirror) and the implication that Slaanesh was so powerful. So Khorne smashed it into an untold amount of pieces.

Now whenever Khorne has any free time, they spend it repairing the gift Slaanesh gave them because they secretly thought it was too perfect. And upon completion Khorne regains his rage, smashes it, and then repeats the process of repair -> smash all over again.

It was a goblet but yeah, Khorne is simultaneously transfixed by the gift Slaanesh gave them and impossibly furious that he is transfixed by the gift Slaanesh gave them thus the smash->repair->smash cycle of eternity.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Khorne is tsundere for Slaanesh.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hunt11 posted:

Khorne hates

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

All I want for WHIII is some kind of lord template or the ability to queue up skills

Mid-late game I seem to spend 70% of my time doing the skill updates for heros/lords and it's sooooo boring, it's actually stopping me really building heros at all

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yeah whenever my game gets to the point that all I'm going to do is autoresolve battles against towns and click lord/hero skills I quit. I can't recall the last.time I got a settlement to tier 5 because the game's already over and boring before then.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Map games always come down to making pretty borders.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They should really bring back mini campaigns.

I’m imagining a hyper-focused Cathay defense, survive for 50 turns until Dragon Dad wakes up from his nap kinda poo poo.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Kairos certainly is interesting. Really weak starting army, but those faction/lord traits certainly are interesting. Potentially not necessarily strong (aside from +15%! global agent success chance), as it'll depend on just what the timescale for reinforcement armies entering is normally, but it is neat. The fragments are also cool, though I'm predicting most people will generally pick Life or Light. In particular, all the fragments that lose Glean Magic just seem a dubious choice for that alone (along with losing the capstone spell), and several of them just seem of highly debatable value (lol Fire, when you can literally just bring a cultist hero).

Starting with 4 free skill points at lvl 1 is really nice too, though I wonder if that's going to be a thing for WH3 or if it's something more unique to Kairos.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Alctel posted:

All I want for WHIII is some kind of lord template or the ability to queue up skills

Mid-late game I seem to spend 70% of my time doing the skill updates for heros/lords and it's sooooo boring, it's actually stopping me really building heros at all

Somehow I want them to just balance out the number of heroes you get. It weirdly feels like you get too many and too few at the same time.

Maybe however they're handling Ice Witches will help.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Alctel posted:

If you look at Kairos' skill screen in the latest article, there's a button that looks like "AI control" from battles with reinforcements on there. It's possible that implies that you can have the AI fill out the tree in some way. There's some speculation about the other buttons, as well, which may or may not indicate that you can queue up poo poo or set a template or something.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 3, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord Koth posted:

Kairos certainly is interesting. Really weak starting army, but those faction/lord traits certainly are interesting. Potentially not necessarily strong (aside from +15%! global agent success chance), as it'll depend on just what the timescale for reinforcement armies entering is normally, but it is neat. The fragments are also cool, though I'm predicting most people will generally pick Life or Light. In particular, all the fragments that lose Glean Magic just seem a dubious choice for that alone (along with losing the capstone spell), and several of them just seem of highly debatable value (lol Fire, when you can literally just bring a cultist hero).

Starting with 4 free skill points at lvl 1 is really nice too, though I wonder if that's going to be a thing for WH3 or if it's something more unique to Kairos.

A thing they pointed out is that you win the battle if you defeat the enemy army before reinforcements arrive. So making them take longer can be the difference between victory and defeat.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Thinking about how one can see the future and past, but not the present hurts my brain.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Thinking about how one can see the future and past, but not the present hurts my brain.

It's supposed to! Kairos's weird perception is so hosed up that even Tzeentch doesn't really get it completely.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

My guess is it's not supposed to make that much sense. It's a riff on the "blind seer" archetype, like Tiresias from Greek myth. He could see the future, but not the present.

When I was in school reading about that for studying Oedipus, I remember thinking he had an easy workaround: he should just see the future at his location, a fraction of a second ahead.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

A thing they pointed out is that you win the battle if you defeat the enemy army before reinforcements arrive. So making them take longer can be the difference between victory and defeat.

I also wonder if they increased reinforcement ranges somewhat too, now that there are more granular ways of dealing with it like scaling reinforcement time to distance from allies and letting the battle end if the enemy routes before the reinforcements arrive.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Absolutely, but we don't actually know the numbers yet - plus Kairos doesn't actually delay the enemy, he just knows when they're coming in and speeds up his own reinforcements. So if the average reinforcement time is, say, 5 minutes, that -50% time for his own reinforcements is much less valuable (though still handy) than if the average time is actually 10 minutes. We just don't know yet.

Admittedly, Tzeentch having so many (presumably) fast fliers means it could be highly valuable even if the actual time difference isn't that much. Just stick a bunch of Doomknights and/or Chariots in a backup army for your main stack.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
On the blind to the present thing. It pretty much looks to mean that Kairos has poo poo Melee Attack and Defence. (Though if he does hit he hits hard like his stature implies) but to be exact what blind to the present means is that he can’t see time as it passes. Even if he where to restrict his future vision to as close to the near future as possible, he would still be like a minute ahead of the rest of the world in his perception. Or behind it by about a minute for his other head.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It just sank in they still have route marcher