Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
My boyfriend got me a copy of Pokken completely out of the blue because I said that Tekken with pokemon seemed like a fun idea but the game is extremely not anything like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
It's true, it's better.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Bleck posted:

It's true, it's better.

Yes, because it has Gengar, aka The Best Poke'mon.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

pokken was cool

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Theta Zero posted:

Smash 6 will be the Marvel VS Capcom Infinity of Smash, with fun features such as:

- A weird art style where everyone looks realistic

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm amused that Ganondorf basically still looks the same, and that Pikachu looks like someone wearing a mascot costume instead of a realistic mouse.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Extremely cursed image.

Mother Peach clutching her toad baby.
Mega man with a serious vitamin D deficiency
Ganondorf asking to just take the picture already
Bowser falling asleep on his easy chair

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

I don't like this, stop it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Go on, I would like to see more.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Mega Man should have his design from the North American box cover art from the first game.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

if i recall correctly, the image was created by the infamous god of war, kratos.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm amused that Ganondorf basically still looks the same, and that Pikachu looks like someone wearing a mascot costume instead of a realistic mouse.

kirby just looks Worse

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Wario's got some tickets to the gun show though.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

link looking like he's about to stab geralt of rivia

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Polo-Rican posted:

this would be cool but it would be IP poison to name it "smash." they'd probably have to make it a different series completely, because the two genres (traditional fighting games vs smash) aren't as similar as they seem.

Also worth noting that they did make a Pokemon fighting game that wasn't supposed to be terrible, and approximately 5 people played it

Yeah Pokken is what I had in mind.

All I remember is the fun I had with Link in Soul Calibur 2 and that's the best I ever got at a trad fighter. I think it'd be neat to see the Smash fighters like that; but yeah platform fighting is what it does best.

Who knows what a sequel will look like.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dark Samus, Ridley, and Fox look pretty cool in that image tbh

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

On the one hand, Samus' Varia suit looks bulky and durable again.

But on the other hand we have first trailer Sonic the Hedgehog movie Sonic again.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

RareAcumen posted:

But on the other hand we have first trailer Sonic the Hedgehog movie Sonic again.

Nah, that's not nearly as bad as old Movie Sonic. He doesn't have tiny freaky hands and they didn't totally gently caress up his face.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RareAcumen posted:

I wonder if they even realized that the cannon is on the wrong arm.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's awesome and sweet when guests from other games appear in a fighting game.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's the look from Detective Pikachu.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Well, I guess I know where Goofy went since he didn't show up alongside Sora

https://twitter.com/disneyplus/status/1455550273879896069

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Dalaram posted:

Mega man with a serious vitamin D deficiency

Mega Man is a robot.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Late to the Pokken talk. But a few years ago, I got the Pokken controller on clearance for super cheap, and it's amazing if you want something for a good D-pad on Switch. I know some people I watch stream complain about the one on the pro controller not being great. So if anyone is looking for an alternative, those are good.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Hrist posted:

Late to the Pokken talk. But a few years ago, I got the Pokken controller on clearance for super cheap, and it's amazing if you want something for a good D-pad on Switch. I know some people I watch stream complain about the one on the pro controller not being great. So if anyone is looking for an alternative, those are good.

Echoing this, it's great for NES/SNES games and it also works great on PC too!

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i looked up the pokken controller and it looks all right BUT it doesn't home/screenshot buttons and for some reason zl and zr are on the front instead of the shoulders.
https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Tournament-Controller-Officially-Licensed-Pokemon/dp/B01A6LEXFK/ref=sr_1_1

it does look good for snes but nothing that uses multiple shoulder buttons. or analog i guess. anyway i'm going to go look up an adapter for a fight stick to replace the one i lost three years ago.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Maple Leaf posted:

Imagining the Smash characters in a fast 2D fighting game like DBFZ or MvC3 is a fun thought experiment. Like translating what attacks in Smash would work in the new environment and how they'd function. It's fun thinking up what their level 1s and level 3s would be - like, Wario's level 3 could be a Wario Man install and his Waft attack would be like DBFZ's Hit's 'shotgun' attack that uses every available bar to do more damage. Popo would fight by himself but Nana would be an assist, like what 18 can do with 17.

It's fun to imaginate

Man I'd love something like this, maybe subtitle or something of the Smash series and not a main entry. Would be cool to see what ArcSys could do with the property.

I'd like to see Smash be more innovative, which is weird to say since it literally created a new genre, but the games have felt a bit stagnant for a while unless it's one of the DLC characters for Ultimate. I feel like they don't really want to rock the boat that much with the series and stay on the safer side. 64 to Melee was a large jump in the way of game mechanics, but since then hardly any new mechanics have been introduced. And certain things have been removed or made worse. Then you have DLC characters who have RPG styled menus or build blocks on the stage, which no other character can do, it's interesting but almost feels alien compared to the rest of the cast who are basically homogenized at this point. I really wish they'd go all out for a new series, change up movesets, give us different mechanics for other characters, etc.

It's one of the things I like about Capcom's fighters, each game is relatively the same thing, but they have different or new mechanics which really shake things up from title to title.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

sigher posted:

I wonder if they even realized that the cannon is on the wrong arm.

I think they don't know how to do weapons in the left hand, since Link's right handed here too.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

problem officer

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Also please look at that image of Samus again

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Didn't Link switch (semi-officially?) to right-handed during the wiimote and nunchuk era Zelda games?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yes, the Wii version of Twilight Princess Link was right-handed, he stayed that way for Skyward Sword and BOTW but was left-handed for Link's Awakening.

Also, I think a goon pointed out some years ago that Link was technically both in the original LOZ because of the sprite work being mirrored in certain cases.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Lux Animus posted:

Didn't Link switch (semi-officially?) to right-handed during the wiimote and nunchuk era Zelda games?

They flipped the entire Twilight Princess map horizontally between the Gamecube and Wii editions because of this, it ruled.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Prowler posted:

Well, I guess I know where Goofy went since he didn't show up alongside Sora

Homer Simpson confirmed keyblade wielder.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

sigher posted:

Yes, the Wii version of Twilight Princess Link was right-handed, he stayed that way for Skyward Sword and BOTW but was left-handed for Link's Awakening.

Also, I think a goon pointed out some years ago that Link was technically both in the original LOZ because of the sprite work being mirrored in certain cases.

his left and right sprites are mirrored and his sideways attacks have him using the arm closer to the "camera" so he's right handed when facing right but left handed in the other three directions. since by all measures his attack is equally capable in both directions, we can conclude that he's ambidextrous but has a preference for the left hand.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Actually, if you look closely, you'll find that NES Link clearly has TWO left hands. That way he can be ambidextrous and left-handed at the same time.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Theta Zero posted:

Smash 6 will be the Marvel VS Capcom Infinity of Smash, with fun features such as:

- A weird art style where everyone looks realistic

The sequel Brawl never got

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The first step of getting new genres of Smash is to hire Cyberconnect2 to make it into a 1-on-1 brawler

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I still haven't forgiven Nintendo's erasure of the left-handed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I saw something on my timeline about Kunio and Riki being in some fighting game so I thought there was some smash like getting them, but no it's an arena fighter I've never heard of called Mighty Fight Federation. They got Toejam/Earl, Yooka-Laylee, and Miriam from Bloodstained in it too.